8+ psychoactive medications

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've had the same psychiatrist since I was 18 (I'm 25) and the same GP since before that.  And over the years, medication got sort of piled on top, and I just feel like I'm not myself.  I don't even know who I am anymore without all these drugs.

I have a GP, a neurologist, and a psychiatrist.

I was thinking about finding a new psychiatrist, and just ask him, what the fuck?  What do you think about this?

I'm taking:

Lithium 900mg

Zoloft 100mg

Wellbutrin XL 300mg

Keppra 500mg bid

Lamictal 100mg bid

Isoniazid 300mg qd

xanax prn

klonopin prn

ambien prn

I'm not sure we really understand how all these meds are interacting with one another.

Edited by Bueler, 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM.

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Social Anxiety Disorder, Grand-Mal Seizures]
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#2 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3818 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

What jumped out to me is that you're taking two benzos.  Not judging, just noticing.

I think getting a second opinion is a good idea.  It never hurts to have another perspective.  I got a second opinion and was able to cut out 4 of my meds AND feel better.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#3 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

That does seem like an awful lot of meds. I agree that a second opinion may be worthwhile.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#4 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

My psychiatrist is actually really great, because I sent him an email that I wanted to talk about getting rid of meds, then he called me.  The way I was talking, he gathered that I was manic.  He asked me if anything out of the ordinary happened, and I said nothing except I've been sick.  Have you been sleeping?  No, because I cough all night.  Take some seroquel and go to bed, don't make any major decisions.

I didn't notice that I'm manic, but now that he said that, oh my god I can tell.  I got 2 credit cards the other day and all sorts of crazy stuff.

I'm going to find a local psychiatrist (he's far away) and ask for another opinion on the meds, because I want to reduce.  Everyone is just so afraid to touch it.  I'm thinking right now "I'm not afraid" then telling myself maybe I shouldn't be posting on here or fearlessly messing with stuff.

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Social Anxiety Disorder, Grand-Mal Seizures]
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#5 kateislate

kateislate

• Pip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

What jumped out to me is that your DX is Depressive Disorder NOS. That's typically used for people with depression who don't clearly have a major depression or dysthymia, or maybe before there's a firm diagnosis. And yet your doctors have prescribed 2 antidepressants, 2 mood stabilizers and 2 benzos. It makes me think that you need a 2nd opinion not just to sort out your meds but to figure out what your diagnosis really is.

Dx: Depression and various anxiety disorders, factitious disorder
Rx: Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Strattera, Adderall, Zyprexa prn, Verapamil
Past Rx: Most of them.

"She said that 10 percent of any population is cruel, no matter what, and that 10 percent is merciful, no matter what, and that the remaining 80 percent could be moved in either direction."

--Kurt Vonnegut quoting Susan Sontag

#6 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4307 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

At one point several years ago I was on 12 different meds from my pdoc.  The thing is, it kept the crazy under control.  That's the thing you're really looking for, or at least I was.  At that point in time, that is what it took for me to function in the world.  After I remained stable for a good long while (a year or more) then, I started to taper off some of the meds.  

What you need to evaluate is whether what you are currently taking is working.  From what you say, it doesn't sound as if it is.  Personally, I wouldn't try to come off of a single one of them unless I had been stable for a minimum of 6 months.  Not sort of stable.  I mean stable as in not a single mood issue.  When you've been stable for a while then talk to your pdoc about which one you might consider tapering.  Your pdoc is your partner in this.  You should be able to discuss this and get a general plan.  Decide which med you should lower first.  What the plans are if it doesn't work.  What the plans are if you're able to get off of it and what you'll do next. 

I'm glad that you and your pdoc both realize that you're running a little high right now.  This certainly isn't the time to be messing with trying to reduce your meds.  

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#7 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Did all of your meds get prescribed by your pdoc? Or all three of your doctors prescibing things? And if so do they talk too eachother about it?
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#8 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

You were having seizures at one point and had a brain  operation, correct ? That would justify the 3 AED's. There is more going on here than "Depressive NOS".

Edited by notfred, 12 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#9 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 731 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I take 7 pmeds and each does its job including 3 antipsychotics.

Edited by Savannah, 12 February 2013 - 12:50 PM.

<p>Bipolar 1 with psychosisCurrent meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 10 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg,, Provigil 200mg

#10 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1157 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Ya that is alot. But like someone said you need to evalute whether the meds are working but, it sounds like your having trouble like I did when I was on so many and went into the psychward they took me off like three meds but, I still didn't feel better. My ADHD was the problem and all I could do is focus on the noise in my head and anybody who tried to talk to me I would jump from convo to convo. K, enough about me ya get a secon Opinion...

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 4 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#11 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

...psychopharmacologist...

#12 dilemma

dilemma

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I get manic a lot, but it's cyclical, and I don't know until it's too late that I'm manic.  I have had a lot of pdocs, and every single one has thought that I've been on too many meds and the first thing they did was to take me off some of my meds.  Eventually I would get manic, and they'd add back some of my meds and I'd be fine, but I was back to the same amount I had as when I first went to the pdoc.  I got really tired of everyone taking me off my meds.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most any pdoc you go to next will try taking you off some of your meds, but won't necessarily know you well enough to tell when you are having an episode, so you will have to be alert to this yourself.

dx: Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type

rx: 150mg Clozaril

#13 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

IDK 8 sounds like a lot but I don't think PRNs really count towards your total. I never really think of them as counting for myself anyway. I wouldn't count physical meds either. I'm guessing one or both of your AEDs is for seizures only. So that's 3 or 4 daily psych meds. Not much at all :)

P.S. I'm truly not trying to invalidate how you feel, I really can relate. I'm just trying to show you another angle, which might make it seem less overwhelming.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#14 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 22430 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I am on a lot of meds (see sig), but the current cocktail works (most of the time, except with breakthrough episodes) really well with me.  My pdoc specializes in medication management, so I trust him with a large amount of meds. 

I have more than one doctor prescribing, but they all know all medications I am on so there are no major interactions.  My pdoc is the one who I always check with interactions first (of any med) though.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran,propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#15 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I feel like I'm on a lot of meds too. I wish I could get off some of them but every time I have tried I find myself in an episode. I have enough problems with mania and depression and anxiety and paranoia as well.
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 500mg (titrating down), latuda 40mg (titrating up)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.