Venting: useless uni counseling service

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

So there's posters everywhere at my uni advertising how they offer counseling and shit to people who need it. Since the NHS doesn't give you anything unless you're literally on the edge of suicide I have no ongoing support right now, so I thought, hey, it's free, let's see if these guys can help me.

I was told I might have to wait two weeks for an appointment but I got a phone call a few days later saying I could have one next week. Not bad. So the day came and I went in. The guy told me this would be a first meeting to see what type of support I need and asked why I was there, so we spoke about my problems for a bit. When I mentioned I had suicidal thoughts during my last episode he kept pressing me for details about them. When I wouldn't tell him (why did he need the exact details on the first meeting anyway?) he said he couldn't do anything to help me because I wouldn't open up about my thoughts (wat?).

He did then mention mental health services he could direct me to, however, so I asked him about those. He told me there was a free NHS run service for CBT, so I said that sounds like it could be helpful... but he then told me they were only trained to do minor depression and anxiety, not bipolar.

At the end of all this what he basically said was that I was too fucked up for their service to be of any help. He couldn't do anything to help me nor could he direct me to anyone else who could help me.

I do have an appointment with the mental health team for next month so I'll wait for that and see if they're more helpful, but despite being told how great the counseling service is I was utterly disappointed.

#2 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

that is very disappointing

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#3 Kaashii

Kaashii

Rainbow Sheep!

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

That's so very disappointing, but not the first time I've heard about or experienced university counseling services being crap.  :(   You would think that in an environment where there's such extreme stress they would be better equipped to deal with that sort of thing.   I hope that the mental health team is less useless than nipples on a breastplate and can actually help you instead of standing there and picking their noses!

Type I Bipolar (Cycles faster than a Suzuki Hayabusa), Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, a whole bunch of other assorted flavors of disorder.  Self-Proclaimed Queen of the Med Weenies, #1 Problem Child of the Counseling Center, Starting Goaltender for Pink Freud

Current Meds That We HOPE Will Fix My Head: Saphris (again!)5mg, Remeron 30mg, Lamictal 200mg, Xanax 0.5mg BID, Adderall 10 mg BID, Ambien 10mg, Celexa 20mg, Levothyroxine 25 mcg
Previous Meds That DIDN'T Fix My Head: Latuda, Paxil (sugar pill!), Lamictal, Abilify (No!), Wellbutrin (twice), Seroquel, Effexor, Prozac (Not just no but HELL no!), Klonopin, Zoloft (twice), Topamax (twice, may try again), Trileptal (twice), Geodon (Never again!), Lunesta, Lexapro, Invega, Saphris, Celexa, Pamelor, Cymbalta (More like Cymbarfa!), Pristiq, Serzone(Did wonders for my anxiety but HOLY NUMBNESS, Batman!), Risperdal, Methylin

"Normal is not the norm, it's just a uniform; forget about the norm, take off your uniform - we are all beautiful" ~ Delain, "We Are The Others"

#4 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6656 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, many university counselling services are like they told you - for people with minor adjustment issues. They are often not set up to deal with people with serious mental health concerns.

I am sorry that they couldn't help you - I hope that you will be able to have more luck with the mental health team.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + therapy

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

I was told the same thing, that they only "handled" the minor issues (I can't think of the exact phrase they used, but it was one where I almost told them to fuck off).  So the lady (MSW) sent me to a LICSW that I had to pay for (at school it was a free service), who did absolutely nothing for me.  I was stupid enough not to go by instinct and fire her (the new LICSW) after 2 or 3 visits, but I waited 6 weeks to give her a chance, costing me a small fortune (I had to take a cab there and home also) that I really didn't have while in college.

I'm sorry you were in a similar situation when dealing with the counseling services at school.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#6 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the support all. 

A silver lining though is I went to the local GP's and even though I'm not registered there (I'm living a long way from home to go to uni and I'm still registered back there) I can come in and see someone if I need to. So if something bad happens I can always see a doctor.

#7 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm glad to hear that :)

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.