Photo
- - - - -

Russian meteor shower

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21468116

Pretty wild.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#2 Emettman

Emettman

One point of view lacks depth.

• Pip
  • 2151 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

If anyone finds an abandoned baby in a small capsule, I think we should be told.   

"The world still doesn't make sense, but now I know why it doesn't make sense. That's progress."

#3 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Wow

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin TID, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#4 hagar

hagar

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's now being reported that 1,000 people were injured during the meteor strike. Jeez. Yet another thing to be paranoid about. 

If anyone finds an abandoned baby in a small capsule, I think we should be told.   

Heh. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#5 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I found this story to be just shocking.  What I find even more shocking is people's reactions to it.  One news outlet referred to this as a "meteor attack".  Jeeeeesus.  Like we're under attack?  Fuck off.  Thanks for freaking people out.

I have a friend on FB who claims to be spiritual and in tune with the planets.  He is in fact a moron.  Not because he believes in astrology but because he just speaks from his ass.  He knows NOTHING about astrology.  Anyway, he said that the meteorites were heading for the United States.  Thanks for the fear mongering, asshole.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#6 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Ya I saw that. I was like it's like the second coming of Christ. Crazy!!

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#7 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20867 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I also saw this on the news, and just hope it never happens here!

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#8 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm not trying to start any fear but, I think this is a wake up call for the world.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#9 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm not trying to start any fear but, I think this is a wake up call for the world.

And what does that MEAN, pray tell?

Appease the meteors or we're all doomed?

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

#10 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

And what does that MEAN, pray tell?

Appease the meteors or we're all doomed?

Let's see -- WWI, WWII, 1989 San Francisco earthquake, 9/11, Madrid bombings, tsunamis, Hurricane Katrina, global warming, famine in Africa, millions dying in the middle east, millions dying in Somalia, mass graves (including children) found in Iraq, sex slavery, sweat factories, ozone depletion, super-hurricanes, AIDS epidemic, treatment resistant super-bacteria, Ebola, etc etc etc.

And THIS is the wake up call?  Riiiiiiiiiight.  Makes perfect sense.  *rolls eyes*

#11 hagar

hagar

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I mean, as long as there's been an Earth there's been shit smashing into it from space. Nothing new here, really. And nothing we can really do about it. I think it's a pretty common fear. I, for one, have been expecting an asteroid to fall on my house since I was 8  :P .

#12 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

I mean, as long as there's been an Earth there's been shit smashing into it from space. Nothing new here, really. And nothing we can really do about it. I think it's a pretty common fear. I, for one, have been expecting an asteroid to fall on my house since I was 8  :P .

A house once fell on my sister. Is that the same thing?

#13 Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish

Camouflage is Convenient

• Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

I read an article not too long ago (that I can't find now) that space agencies from different countries have been laying the groundwork for asteroid deflection for some time now, and that it's expected that there will be testing of asteroid deflection strategies on non-threatening asteroids within the next ten years. My inner nihilist is a little disappointed though, since it kind of liked the idea of a possible planetary reset like the http://en.wikipedia....xtinction_event .

A lot went right with the Russian meteorite. Had it exploded closer to the ground or not come in at an angle, we could be talking atomic bomb-rivaling damage and something similar to this http://en.wikipedia....ka_Impact_Event . As it is now, the damage and injuries only came from glass shattering from the shockwave.

#14 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20867 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

They said on the news it was like having 33 atomic bombs hit the earth in that one area.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#15 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Things hit the Earth every day. Usually they get disintegrated before they hit the Earth. Occasionally you get more extreme events, like this meteor shower. It's pretty amazing to see the impact of this meteor shower. In the greater scheme of things, it wasn't a big one compared to some other strikes Earth has experienced. Scary to think what would happen if something bigger hit.

#16 Emettman

Emettman

One point of view lacks depth.

• Pip
  • 2151 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Some nice photos and information here:

http://aboutfacts.ne...cePlanets17.htm

Including this, from the space shuttle Columbia, of the Manicougan Crater lake.

manicouagan_sts9.jpg

"The world still doesn't make sense, but now I know why it doesn't make sense. That's progress."

#17 Mirazh

Mirazh

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay.

• Inmate
  • 2374 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Some years back, a goodly sized meteor that looks very similar to footage of that recent Russian one, streaked across the night sky of some rural sothern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Guess that was a test wake-up call?

That's pretty cool about the deflecting asteroid tech.

Edited by Miron, 19 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#18 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Some years back, a goodly sized meteor that looks very similar to footage of that recent Russian one, streaked across the night sky of some rural sothern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Guess that was a test wake-up call?

That's pretty cool about the deflecting asteroid tech.

God was just warming up.  LIke a batter taking a warm up swing.

#19 Mirazh

Mirazh

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay.

• Inmate
  • 2374 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

See, I've lived through Y2K, a few Nostradamous predictions, 9/11, various protests, Avian Flu, Swine Flu, 2012, Hale Bopp, Elenin, and more. My parents got super paranoid in my late pre-teens/early teens and I am well worn out and sick with end of the world scenarios. You look throughout recorded human history and you can find similar patterns of thought.

I choose to live my life so that I'm fine if this were to be my final moment. I have lots I would like to do and ways I wish my life had gone, but overall I am content with my personal ideals and morals. I like who I strive to be. I. Like a lot about who I am.

If the Gods (read: forces of nature and the universe) choose to take me, they will. If another extinction happens on this planet, it will be but a drop in the bucket of many, many, many extinction events that have preceeded our time on Earth. Such a short time we humans have been here.

What I do think people should wake up more to are the immediacies of what is happening now. Warnings abound, no need for some sort of divine intervention when it is right in front of our noses. Climate change, oppression of the marginalized, vast majority of the world's wealth in the hands of a few.

I've been considering entering the medical field in some degree because if I can, I want to help make a part of that difference in my immediate community. I already do some of what I can. Volunteering here is part of that.

My wake-up call, for my personal life, came in part on the wings of my madness. It showed me a path similar to that of my abuser, if I did not start to care for my health. My wake-up call broke me down to save me, hurt me in order to heal me. It was nitty-gritty, up to my elbows in my own filth. And so I have adapted and changed.

Asteroids and meteorites pass by Earth all the time. If a particular event has great meaning for you personally, and causes you to effect positive and long-lasting changes in your life, then all the more power to you. I believe 100% in the validity of that message to you. To YOU. It may be just a meteorite to me. As my stress and med induced hypomanic rage is simply that to many others, rather than the trial by fire and shedding of skin that I experienced.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.