• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5723 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Just had an arguement with my girlfriend.  admittedly we are on either end of the spectrum.  At this point in my life I shave nothing.  Used to shave legs, armpits, crotch area, etc.  But my hair grew back in just a few hours and I got sick of the time and pain and money of getting waxed.  so I dumped the whole shebang well before I met my husband. I must have been in my late 20's, early 30's.

My girlfriend waxes every fucking thing - arms, back, tummy, crotch, pubic hair, legs, pits, etc. 

Last night I found out my girl is shaving her pubic hair when she gets her period.  She has been complaining about these bumps she is getting and she finally showed me today the ones on her legs near her crotch. They looked just like in grown hairs or hair coming back after being shaved.  She denied that she shaved there.  Then she flapped her hand toward her vagina and said something about shaving there when she gets her period.  I freaked.

Shaving your vagina at age 13?  WTF? Who told her to do this? I am SURE it was my girlfriends daughter.  This girl is VERY VERY OCD.  She windexes her folders. 

Whatever the reason was I want my kid to stop.  My girlfriend says it is her body, she can decide.  I remember a few years ago my cousin who is a nurse practitioner told me that mostly ALL of the woman coming into Planned Parenthood clinic with STD's had not one hair on their vagina.  Somehow I got the impression it was not good to shave everything. Won't it grow back and itch like shit each time?  And won't the hairs be coarser?

Help!  I don't know a damn thing about this.  I do know what to do about the bumps - tea tree oil helps, girlfriend said to use neosporin ointment and witch hazel. 

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#2 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I remember a few years ago my cousin who is a nurse practitioner told me that mostly ALL of the woman coming into Planned Parenthood clinic with STD's had not one hair on their vagina.  Somehow I got the impression it was not good to shave everything.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. STD are neither the cause of nor the result of shaving/waxing one's pubic area. And someone who does shave/wax is no more likely to get an STD that someone who does not.

The fashion of waxing, such as the now popular Brazilian wax, waxes and wanes.

Won't it grow back and itch like shit each time?

I am not sure what shit has to do with shaving: does shit itch? I suppose without adequate hygiene it would itch, badly.

With good shaving techniques, sharp razors and appropriate shaving cream itching is not a problem.

And won't the hairs be coarser?

That is one of those tales that just does not go away. The simple answer is no.

If she is shaving her pubic region, be certain she  has disposable razors, shaving cream, and a good moisturized, Nivea works well.

#3 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just when she gets her period? Do you think maybe she thinks that's less messy or something? I've never heard of this.

I started shaving my legs when I was like, ten or something ridiculous like that. I did it every day. Can't do that now. I'm 26 and it I shave my legs every day, they look GROSS. Serious razor burn. I only shave the thighs (that hair is fine and thin and not very visible in the winter) like, once a month. The bottom every other or every three days, something like that.

Pits, yeah.

Va jay jay? A little upkeep, not much. Bikini line is taken care of and then some trimming if needed, whatever. I think I used to shave it all off when I was sixteen or so, but I didn't have sex until I was 18, so I don't know why I was doing that at all. I also KNEW I wasn't going to be having sex any time soon. I didn't want to, didn't plan on it, etc. Just did that for no reason I guess?

Now if I were to do that, same case as my legs, serious razor burn that's far less attractive to me than pubes.

It DOES itch when it grows back, yeah, that happens to me. That's another reason why I shave what I feel I need to and leave the rest.

You thought when you heard that about the girls with STDs were more likely to get them if they shaved their junk? I just thought "wow, a lot of sexually active women shave their junk." I don't know, everyone is different, I can totally see why you'd make that correlation though, especially if the woman was presenting it that way. I don't buy it. I do know there are many ways to get an STD, I don't think having pubes is going to prevent one. Condoms. 

But, like I said, I was shaving that area for a couple years before I even thought about having sex. Once I started thinking about having sex, I actually let it grow back because I generally do not like the appearance of my, or anyone's vagina. Thought having pubes would cover that up a bit, he he.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at. I know you're concerned about her doing this, and I probably would be as well, I just don't understand the question, so I said everything I have to say on the topic.

Oh, right, it doesn't grow back darker and thicker. I had peach fuzz above my lip that I trimmed with one of those electric trimmers and have done it a lot and don't notice a difference in that hair at all. I probably don't even need to do it, just don't like it there. But if I forget for months at a time, it's not like I notice it or anything.

As far as the bumps go, the neosporin is a good idea, I'd say. That sounds good. I didn't ever bother with anything, I just dealt with it because it wasn't that annoying most of the time, so I can't tell you what works for that. 

I can see all the reasons you would be worried about this. The fact that she seems to only do it while on her period would eliminate at least one worry, for me, anyway.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#4 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5723 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thank you Indigo and Emperor. I guess the question was exactly what you answered.  Is it alright?

It sounds like it is fine.  I will swallow my objections and just try to get her to let me treat the area.  sigh.....

this teenager parenting is getting harder and harder, but wonderful as well.  I get to inhale the second-hand delight from her 8th grade romance.  She got all dressed up for valentines day and he gave her flowers and drew her a really cool picture of a heart.  I never ever had a valentines day as a kid that included a day at school where I actually had a boyfriend. 

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#5 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

whoa

I am a little shocked.

I would freak if I discovered my 13 year old daughter was shaving her pubic area.

It is bizarre that this sexualized aspect of pop culture has influenced junior high girls.

I know I have had friends, adult married women,

who shave there for sexual variety - but for me it brings to mind

pole dancers and vegas show girls.

however I think it really a matter of personal preference, personal grooming

in the summer I shave my legs below the knees,under my arms, and a tiny touch up

on the upper thigh if I am going to wear a swim suit.

In the winter I don't shave at all.  I seem to have less hair as I age.

so my question is, if no partner is seeing that vulva area then why does she want to shave it??

what is the the image in her mind of an adult woman?  Is it hairless?

I would explore this topic in depth with my daughter.

does she think this is good grooming or does she think this is sexy??

Edited by bpladybug, 15 February 2013 - 02:13 PM.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#6 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

whoa

I am a little shocked.

I would freak if I discovered my 13 year old daughter was shaving her pubic area.

It is bizarre that this sexualized aspect of pop culture has influenced junior high girls.

I know I have had friends, adult married women,

who shave there for sexual variety - but for me it brings to mind

pole dancers and vegas show girls.

however I think it really a matter of personal preference, personal grooming[/quote]

Sexualized? No. Even a 13 year old can have personal preferences and ideas about hygiene and grooming. Frankly, I think it is bizarre that you bring pole dancers and Las Vegas show girls forward as an example.

I do not have a 13 year old daughter, but I was a 13 year old girl that loathed the thick thatch of dark hair between my legs and trimmed it regularly.  It was especially inconvenient to have copious pubic hair during menstruation. I hope that I do not have to be absolutely graphic about why...

I began routinely trimming my pubic area long before I was 13 and any aspect of sexuality regarding that act of grooming was far into the future. I still keep those parts trimmed short and it has NOTHING to do with sexuality.

Perhaps Water's daughter is simply shaving for ease of washing and keeping clean. Why and what does having a partner to see one's vulva have to do with that? Why attempt to sexualize that?

Edited by Indigo 'n dye, 16 February 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13232 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

FWIW I read an article recently that mentioned that 80% of females under 30 engage in some kind of grooming of the pubic area.  She's likely imitating what she's seen in the locker room or something.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#8 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10878 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Water, you should also look into the issue of African-Americans and shaving.  I have a vague memory of a friend in college telling me that his beard was so curly that he got ingrown hairs all the time and they would get infected and sore.  I assume your girl can avoid this if she has a really sharp razor, but you might want to investigate how to treat those ingrown hairs.  Maybe that's why she's getting bumps.

A dermatologist might be able to steer you toward a cream or something that would help her with the bumps.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be with someone who ruins your lipstick---not your mascara.

#9 bpladybug

bpladybug

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Water, you should also look into the issue of African-Americans and shaving.  I have a vague memory of a friend in college telling me that his beard was so curly that he got ingrown hairs all the time and they would get infected and sore.  I assume your girl can avoid this if she has a really sharp razor, but you might want to investigate how to treat those ingrown hairs.  Maybe that's why she's getting bumps.

A dermatologist might be able to steer you toward a cream or something that would help her with the bumps.

olga

that is a good point

ladybuglove.jpg

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#10 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 5020 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi! Mid-20s woman here!
The vast majority of folks younger than me (so... Late teens) shave EVERYthing. Pubic region completely and totally included.
Fuck yeah lots of them say that it is cleaner for the rag (likely true if you're using pads especially at night - I use a cup which is much less messy). I guess it's true. But when all the mags say that sex is better if you're clean-shaven (okay, maybe that doesn't apply for another few years, but... It will) then yes the kids will do that.
Also, if she has ingrown hairs then give her her options: to stop shaving, or to deal with it has been suggested plus exfoliation and stuff. Fwiw I have heard about mothers who start their daughters on pubic waxing regimens the first hair that shows up. Your daughter is doing what they all do these days. If the ingrowns are too much she can learn to use her scissors and to appreciate the trimmed look instead. But few of her peers will, so if that happens you'll have to be able to shore her up as a crazy hippy feminist.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres. Oh look! I made a Thing!

Rx: twice-weekly injections of Standard Knowledge

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders, self-injury, chat

#11 Cacia

Cacia

• Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

;

Edited by Cacia, 08 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

diagnosed with

| b.p.d | recurrent m.d.d (w/ psychotic symptoms) | s.a.d w/ selective mutism | chronic p.t.s.d | veganism | gifted |

daily medications

| venlafaxine 300mg | seroquel 800mg | mirtazapine 45mg | clonazepam 4mg prn |

You can delete my dicks but I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really need everyone to know how much I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't care.

#12 rosesforthedead

rosesforthedead

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I started shaving everything when I was a young teenager as well, probably around the same age as your daughter.  I can tell you that it was not for sexual reasons or even hygiene purposes.  It was simply that I did not like (and still do not like) any type of body hair.  It's a personal preference for me, as well as for a lot of females.  Your daughter may be included in this. 

As far as STD's and women being seen in clinics sans pubic hair.. The two are not mutually exclusive.  Many women shave their nether regions prior to a gynecological exam because it makes them feel better about the whole awkward appointment.  Having shaved nether parts doesn't mean you sleep around, or make you any more prone to sexually transmitted infections.

So, moving forward.. it may freak you out that your daughter is so young and wanting to remove her body hair.  However, it doesn't matter what you want.  She's going to do what she wants, regardless of how you feel about her personal grooming.  The only thing you can do is to help her.  Provide her with information and quality products, fresh razors, etc.

DX: Major Depressive Disorder (with psychotic features), Borderline Personality Disorder with Antisocial features, Attention Deficit Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Possibly schizotypal?
RX: Ativan (.5mg PRN)
Past RX: Zoloft (50mg daily), Paxil (30mg daily), Lamictal (100mg daily), Wellbutrin (100mg twice daily), Celexa (20mg twice daily), Seroquel (300mg daily), Effexor (75mg daily), Pristiq (50mg daily), Adderall XR (30mg twice daily), Topamax (100mg daily)

#13 CrazySoprano

CrazySoprano

la la la...

• Pip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

I vastly prefer having that area waxed, but it costs too much and I stink at doing it myself, so I got myself a combination trimmer/razor instead.  I don't like shaving there because it gets all prickly when it's coming back in, but I do keep it very well-trimmed.  I do find that it's easier to keep clean around period-time if I don't have a lot of hair.

A good astringent will help a lot with the little bumps.  Witch hazel is an excellent one and not too expensive.  She might also want to use a scrub in that area just before she shaves.

When I look back at my childhood, I remember my mom flipping out about a lot of things that weren't actually a big deal.  The result was that I was afraid to tell her anything because I didn't want to have to calm her down and convince her that my academic and professional future was not, in fact, in jeopardy just because I got a B- on a test.  Not exaggerating there.  You can feel any way you want to feel, but maybe don't react too strongly in front of your daughter.  Try to respond calmly and she'll probably be more forthcoming.

Your Mileage May Vary

DX: Major Depressive Disorder, Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, soprano NOS
RX: Budeprion (Wellbutrin) XL 300 mg, Lexapro 5 mg, prenatal vitamins, chocolate
XRX: Atenolol, Ativan, Cymbalta, Inderal, Prozac, Xanax, Zoloft

misc: allergic to coffee, attempting to create a tiny human, unhealthy obsession with yarn and knitting, married to a fellow crazy

h1jgm4.png

#14 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I used to use nair to the nether region, even though it is not recommended and most humans would get chemical burns, just proves I am an android or something cause it never phased me and was much easier than shaving.  Not recommeded unless you daughter is an android or some type of robot, though!

These days I think my SO is gonna send out a search party to locate my clitoris, as it is so damn hairy down there! 

No way is shaving related to strippers or STDs or whores.  I know it wasn't the thing to do when we were younger, but times have changed and pussys are naked now.  It also makes it smell less when you haven't showered in two weeks (tmi?)

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#15 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13232 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

BTW, the article I read mentioned than a fairly large potion of males under 30 are bald now too (40%)?

I'm all about some body hair, but to each their own.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#16 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1750 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Maybe next time you're at the gyno you can ask them the percent shaven that they see, and the corresponding ages of the patients. 

New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on."

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets. Added Abilify 5 mg on 11/27/2014 for depression that's come back at full steam.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#17 bpladybug

bpladybug

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

wow lol

this is really an eye opener

ha ha  

that you all for sharing, I had no idea.....

sorry if I offended anyone with my stripper/pole dancer reference

ladybuglove.jpg

Bipolar 1

#18 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3241 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think it's a good sign that she told you.  I don't think my daughter shaves except her underarms.  But, she's really private.  She has an electric shaver. 

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel, topomax

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#19 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, young people nowadays tend to be "against" pubic hair.

It could be a personal preference for her, but frankly, I suspect that she does it mostly because all of her girl friends do it, and she doesn't want to stand out. Adolescence is a difficult period for most people, and the need for acceptance (and the fear of bullying!) is strong.

And it is a very good sign that she told you.

The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#20 Mirazh

Mirazh

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay.

• Inmate
  • 2379 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I suspect multiple factors, perhaps. As in, the influence from her peers, and more personal reasons such as a desire for cleanliness or ease of such.

I gre up being bullied but girls in the locker room at that age were some of the worst. Thanks to my family tree and possible hormonal differences, let's just say that I am rather, ah, gifted in the realm of the fuzz. For many years I essentially removed most everything from the neck down, and I even used to remove and draw on my eyebrows. I did find things I personally prefer about that state, but some of the initial influence was peer related.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.