Photo
- - - - -

What keeps the love alive in long term relationships?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering how everyone in a long term relationship has lasted so long.  The things that have worked for us have been honesty and communication.  Even if it is uncomfortable to talk about something, we just do it.  Sex gets less and less important, but we sleep in the same bed every night.  We don't keep grudges or dredge up the past.  We pick our battles.  Being accepting of things in each other, even if we don't condone it or understand it, is big.  I just know even when I am mad as hell at him, I respect him and know his true character, and that softens my anger a lot.  We don't get all passive-aggressive on each other or expect we can read each other's minds. 

Also, trust is a big one.  He would never even think of spying on me, nor me on him.  When I hear about couples in crisis installing keyloggers and checking each other's phones, I think, why bother, it is already over.  When I was acting insane, my daughter suggested he come to CrazyBoards to see what was up.  He refused, citing that this was my private place and if I needed him to know something, I would tell him.  I know I can't be the only one with a one-in-a-million SO.  Anyone want to share tips or stories or anything? 

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#2 Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

If you want to make sense, what are you looking at me for??

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I agree that trust and communication are a huge part of a successful long term relationship.

Hubby and I talk about everything (which is painful for me to do on occasion if my behaviour has been screwed up by my MI playing up) but I have told him everything and have no secrets from him.

I figured out about 2-3 years ago that it needed to be that way for me (me having no secrets from him) because too much of my behaviour when I'm unwell is doing the wrong thing and hiding it.

Still after all the messes I've made, he's still with me (been married for 7 years this year, together total of 9) so he must trust me too, to some degree at least! :)

Sex, yeah, sex is important, but it's not the be all and end all, though I do like to make sure Hubby "feels good" even if I'm not really in the mood (the meds have drastically lowered my sex drive), but there are plenty of alternatives to sex , like cuddling and massages, and just being in the same bed is comforting :)

Spending time as a family whenever you can (we have a 7yo son X) and since Hubby works split shifts 7 days a week, we do as much as we can to "stay in" and be family when the chance arises :)

I try hard not to take everything personally (cause I'm great at that) and try to have the house reasonably organised and keep the dishes and washing as up to date as I can (that all depends on how unwell I am at any given time). I also (on the 2 nights a week Hubby's home for dinner) try to cook tea for Hubby too if I can work it all out & am up to it :) He doesn't mind if I do or don't, it's just a personal preference of mine :)

I also try to support him as much as I can as he works 2 jobs both of which are stressful in their own way. (I want to find work, am just having trouble finding something in school hours)

Apart from that, I talk all the time, so Hubby always knows what's going on in my head!!! lol, poor fella!! hahaha :)

"Visual bruises can be covered with makeup. But down to the core I'm all bruises" Majandra Delfino.
* These are just my personal opinions/ experiences/ things that have worked for me over time, they may or may not work for you, I'm not a medical professional. Seek medical advice before undertaking any exercise, medication, diet, or any major lifestyle changes *
Chiaroscuro: basically put; a juxtaposition of light & dark, commonly used in Art.
Current Dx:
Bipolar I -Rapid Cycling without psychosis-| Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)| Asthma| Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)| Self Dx: ED/ Calorie restriction/ Binging/ Over Eating/ Slight Purging/ Over Exercising /Fasting/ Abuse of laxatives/ Disordered Eating/ Self Injury/Harm.

Previous Dxs:

BPII

Rapid Cycling BPII
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)

Some traits of some sort of personality disorder (Pdoc never said which PD he felt it was)

Lack of coping mechanisms

Impulse control issues
Current Rx:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg AM| Zactin/Lovan/Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg AM|Valium (Diazepam) 2mg tablets prn|Eutroxsig (levothyroxine as thyroxine sodium) 50mg AM 5 days & 100mg 2 days a week|Symbicort Inhaler 200mcd/6mcg prn|Nexium (esomeprazole) 20mg AM & PM |Zantac (ranitidine) prn|~for Hayfever~ Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg AM OR Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg AM 
Previous Rx:
Lithium| Seroquel XR & IR (Quetiapine) | Epilim (Sodium Valproate)|Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine)| Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)| Aropax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride)| Cipramil (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

"Think of the solution, not the problem" ~Richard Rahl~ -Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series-

#3 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

You make good points.  I used to take everything personally, and it put a lot of unnecessary stress on the relationship.  One of my faults is that when I am really not well, I tend to clam up and SO doesn't want to pry.  I sometimes don't want to burden him, and sometimes I am so fucked in the head that I can't properly articulate a conversation.  My SO is getting better at asking direct questions to guage how I am doing.  Sometimes he just knows to leave me alone and just lets me know that he is there if I want to talk.  That goes a long way.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#4 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3755 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Honesty and communication are big factors, as are a sense of humor and humility.  Being able to admit when you're wrong and letting things go once a disagreement is over.  I truly respect my husband and want the best for him.  I try to always keep his perspective in mind when making decisions.  We also spend a lot of time together and really enjoy each other's company.  It takes being able to listen.

We've been married almost 20 years and have taught each other a lot.  I feel incredibly lucky to have a relationship like ours.  It does take hard work, but it is so worth the effort.  

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#5 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Curiosity. About him, and about the world as he sees it. I never get tired of talking to him. We've been together since 1996.

Edited by Gearhead, 16 February 2013 - 04:22 PM.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 
60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#6 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

We talk.  We talk and talk a lot.  I am always interested in his thoughts and opinions even if the subject matter is inconsequential to me.  Actually, most of the time he fascinates me still.

We forgive.  There have been huge problems a few times when I know other people would divorce.  We both persisted through the pain. 

We try and offer one another kindness.  I never criticize his children and he is loving and kind to my mother.  I was actually a very good step mother and he still appreciates it.

We both have crazies, psychiatrists, and meds.  We look out for each other and pay attention to symptoms.

We have been together since 1996, married since 1998.

Sometimes now we just get busy or tired and forget about sex.  One of us always plans a date and time for a romantic hookup.

I know he loves me.  He has been gone now out of state for a few months with an ill / dieing father.  He called a neighborhood teenager to deliver a dozen long stemmed red roses, a box of chocolate covered strawberries, and a Valentine's card to me.

Very sweet and loving.

I look forward to his phone calls with anticipation.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#7 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Respect.

I think trust and communication and kindness all tie into that.

SO is my best friend, truly.  I couldn't tell you why I feel so bonded to him, but I do.  I trust him completely and feel utterly safe with him.  When we moved in together, the people who were outside the house (delusions) went away, they've never come back.  He's always accepted me for me and I accept him for him.  We don't try to change each other, we like each other for who were are and grow strong together. 

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 40mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 50mg, Ativan 1mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.