St John's Wort

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MsNikNik

MsNikNik

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Anybody tried St. John's wort? My therapist recommended that I start on it. Anyone used it? If so, what was your experiences with it? Thanks!
"Sometimes perfection is perfect hell"

“She began to be reassured by these pains, tangible symbols of her success in becoming thinner than anyone else. Her only identity was being "the skinniest." She had to feel it.”
― Steven Levenkron, Kessa

“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.”

#2 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Are you taking anything else? 

You absolutely must talk to your doctor to check for any possible interactions with your meds.  St. John's Wort can cause serious problems when taken in conjunction with certain psych meds.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#3 MsNikNik

MsNikNik

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't take anything else.

“She began to be reassured by these pains, tangible symbols of her success in becoming thinner than anyone else. Her only identity was being "the skinniest." She had to feel it.”

“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.”

#4 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

It made me manic. Use extreme caution if you have or suspect bipolar.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17907 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I wouldn't take it without consulting with your pdoc.  Even not being on other meds it might still affect you in a bad way.  Personally I have never taken it, but have been warned many times not to take it.  I don't remember the exact reasons why, but do remember it had to do with depression becoming worse.

Also, I would check with your pdoc because your tdoc isn't a DR and might not know of possible interactions with your mood, etc.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#6 MsNikNik

MsNikNik

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I don't go to a pdoc :/

#7 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Why not?  What do you think you are afflicted with?

Maybe it's time go seek help.  Has your tdoc suggested you go see a pdoc?  If not, why is s/he giving you medical tips?  Seems a little beyond the scope of their expertise.

#8 MsNikNik

MsNikNik

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

I started going for an eating disorder. And have discovered all my other issues. I take over the counter anxiety meds and her and I were discussing those when she mentioned St Johns Wort and that it might be good for me. She's never suggested a pdoc.

#9 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I took it for a few days when I was in high school. I felt somewhat worse. That isn't a fair trial, obviously. In terms of side effects, I had some mild nausea.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#10 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

You should go see a pdoc. And definitely don't take St. Johns Wort without a medical ok.

#11 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17907 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

You should go see a pdoc. And definitely don't take St. Johns Wort without a medical ok.

I second this.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#12 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12788 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

In general, SJW is less effective and has much worse side effects than a pharmaceutical anti-depressant.  

Really, the only reason to take it is if you're dirt poor with no insurance and have no other options.  Nearly any rx med would be more effective with less side effects.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#13 rein

rein

Rein

• Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

Over the counter anxiety meds? I know I don't live in the states anymore but are there otc crazymeds?

I was on St John's Wart for a little while before completely going over the edge..didn't do a thing for me.

Edited by rein, 17 February 2013 - 06:49 AM.

Diagnosis: BP II, ADD

Meds: Remeron 30mg,Wellbutrin XL 300

#14 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Over the counter anxiety meds? I know I don't live in the states anymore but are there otc crazymeds?
I was on St John's Wart for a little while before completely going over the edge..didn't do a thing for me.

No, nothing has changed on that front. But there are some people who believe in "natural" and "holistic" forms of anxiolytics. In my oh so humble opinion they are crap.

#15 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1593 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

I took St. John's Wort for a while.  I felt like it actually worked pretty well for me, with no noticeable side effects, other than increased photosensitivity.  My skin burned more easily, and my eyes were very sensitive to light. 

I stopped taking SJW because I was having to take 6 tea bags of it throughout the day to get a therapeutic dose, so I figured it would be much easier just to take a pharmaceutical antidepressant.

As others have said, if you are prone to being hyper or suspect you might have ever been manic, don't take st. john's wort. 

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#16 MsNikNik

MsNikNik

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Being a teenager, my parents don't want me started on any real medications. They don't think I need it. That's the only reason I take OTC things because my parents don't want me on prescription things. Hence the natural products.

#17 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Being a teenager, my parents don't want me started on any real medications. They don't think I need it. That's the only reason I take OTC things because my parents don't want me on prescription things. Hence the natural products.

Ah.  That does indeed make a difference.  In that case, I applaud you for doing what you can to protect your health and sanity.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.