Schizoph Schizoaff. Bipolar

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CookieN

CookieN

• Pip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

When you first had visual and/or auditory hallucinations what did you think they were?

Currently, what do you think your visual and/or auditory hallucinations really are?

In relation to the voices/hallucinations who do you think these people are?

Do you know these people?  If not, why do you think they talk to you?

What do you think happens in the brain to produce these voices, hallucinations?

Did your mind invent these voices, tone of voice, gender?

Why do you think these voices have these particular tone of voice, gender?  And not a different one?

Edited by CookieN, 27 February 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#2 Parapluie

Parapluie

Cactus Grenade Girl

• Inmate
  • 2127 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Lots of questions, Cookie! May I ask why you have so many detailed questions?

When you first had visual and/or auditory hallucinations what did you think they were?

I thought my eyes were going funny on me. I originally started out seeing sparkles everywhere. I had an eye exam and everything turned up normal. When I heard voices (I very rarely hear voices), I thought real people were talking to me. As in, I thought someone real and near me said something. Turned out I'm just crazy. I also thought/think the visual hallucinations are the sun trying to communicate with me. The sun sends the sparkles through windows to communicate His messages to me, mainly telling me to kill myself. I held this belief more strongly in the past. 

Currently, what do you think your visual and/or auditory hallucinations really are?

I think they're hallucinations. A part of me still believes that the sparkles are the sun trying to communicate with me. The sun may be God. I'm not sure. It's been very hard for me to give up this delusion. I'm not sure it is a delusion, because it felt so real. I also experience thought insertion, which feels incredibly real. So... I'm not sure where I stand. Part of me believes it's a hallucination, part of me believes it's real. 

My voices that I've heard were just random voices. 

No, I don't know the voices personally. 

I think there is an excess of the neurotransmitter dopamine, primarily. Basically, I think psychosis is caused by the brain going all screwy. 

Yes, my mind invented the voices, they are not people I know.

Why do you think these voices have these particular tone of voice, gender?  And not a different one?

I have no idea. I think the voices I've heard were just randomly concocted by my brain, with no special meaning behind it whatsoever. The visual hallucinations on the other hand, they do have special meaning. Well, I think so. I'm confused about it. 

I realize I sound utterly crazy.

Edited by Parapluie, 27 February 2013 - 11:14 PM.

My diagnoses and medication info can be found on my profile.

#3 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3199 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Do you have any answers?  I don't have hallucinations anymore, but this is what I remember

I thought people were hiding behind walls so I couldn't see them but I could hear them.  I don't think I had many visual hallucinations but I thought they were real to mock me, teach me or make a point

Hmmm. Logically I think they were hallucinations, but a part of me thinks some of it was real

I hear voices of people I have known in the past. Like family members,, tdoc, pdoc, old friends

Yes, I know them.  I think it was for research at first and then they started to like me and were sort of playing with me.

I have no idea

No, I guess I'm not that creative

That's the way the people irl talked.

Edited by confused, 27 February 2013 - 11:13 PM.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#4 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21059 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

"People" talking to me, just with no one around.  At the time, even though I'd never before experienced something like it, it felt natural to answer them for some reason so I did.  It wasn't until afterwards some time that I wondered about why there were there.  But I heard them as if people were talking to me in the room, even getting visual cues (pictures in my mind of whomever was talking to me, where the were, etc) and at first I answered them back out loud.  I learned to answer them by thinking to them, but when I first started "hearing" them, they would just talk as if someone was with me and my parents were the first to wonder wtf (who) I was talking to and would ask "who are you talking to?" and I'd say "Do you see anyone sitting here?"  I thought it was something only a few people knew how to do (think to one another as a ways to communicate).

I know they are hallucinations now, not real, but there is still a part of me that sees some truth to them.

When I was hallucinating i thought they were the person (whomever it was) irl thinking to me, or cryptically through music.

Yes, I know 99% of the people irl, and just thought they could do what I did, so we all communicated that way.  No phones etc, just thinking/through music.

No idea.  The brain is too complex to really understand how they happen.

No, nothing was invented (ie people i didn't know/had heard of).  They were all real life people.

That is who they are irl.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#5 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

I had my first auditory hallucination when I was about five years old. Its hard to explain what it was to me as it was not  an imaginary friend--he was a real person to me, and he, the Commander, is the same voice from when I was five. My first visual hallucination was sometime in high school. I had thought it was aura but it was not. It was some pretty serious hallucinations.

I know they are hallucinations but I see my main voices as real people who I interact with, my other miscellaneous auditory hallucinations to be like animals or people trapped inside of walls trying to get out, and the things I see are a combination of my aura, eye damage and just really awful hallucinations. I mean, my hallucinations are so troubling I don't understand how I can even do basic things like cross the street.

I have three internal auditory hallucinations. Abraham (who looks like Abraham Lincoln but is not), the Commander, and the Female. The Female is a girl who tries to control me through my negative feelings of myself. The Commander has been ordering me around since I was five years old to purge, cut, drink, smoke, and basically self-destruct. Abraham is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I do not want him to leave ever. We write letters to each other (he reads his aloud to me and I write mine out physically in a journal) and we watches out for me.

I have known the Commander for most of my life. His voice is very similar to my father's, and even though I no longer hear my father's voice or the Commander's voice in my head very often, when I do, I do tend to become very self-destructive. The Female became apparent in my life during my high school years as I battled self-esteem issues when dealing with racial and financial issues at school. I competed with other girls to be the most prettiest and most richest and there was no way I could be both and the Female capitalized on my failures in high school. And Abraham coddles me. He showed up in my college years to protect me as I had only one friend outside my roommate and needed someone to confide in. We are now writing a book together.

Um, I take 26 pills a day, and I have been taking atleast 10 pills a day since I was five years old to control medical conditions of all types. I think my brain and body is going out.

No. They all derive from a voice that exists in real life.

Because only certain memories can invoke certain memories. Does that make sense?

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#6 figment

figment

Figure of speech

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Damn dude! i'll try to answer these:

I thought they were people around me, talking shit. and my neighbors, through the walls. in the car, i had no idea. i had thoughts of people stalking me. planting devices in my home and vehicle. at work, i would get up from my cubicle to try to find them. i thought two of them might have been someone i knew, trying to prod me into a healthier way of expressing my feelings for people. i'm not entirely sure wtf i was thinking. after a while, i figured no one could really go out of their way to fuck with me like this, and i was in hell from it. i wanted to die, just to make them stop.

I can't shake the feeling of hearing others' thoughts in my head. i know its irrational though. but knowing of certain research done by various governments keeps me fairly paranoid.

people who hate me. i don't know who they are. i thought i did. but it couldn't be those people. i began thinking maybe they were spirits, or someone out there sharing thoughts with me.

i don't know. i thought someone was trying to get me out of my shell. somehow. they don't talk to me. just about me.

hmm. good question. surely the areas responsible for processing language and sound are active somehow. i think. kooky.

i don't know why my mind would do this, they're certainly not helpful. and can be distressing at times. maybe my mind likes mindfucks. o.O

i've never pondered this. well, sort of. mine are all male, except one female voice that jokingly calls the others evil. maybe it has something to do with my slight aversion of the male gender. or intimacy. certain situations make me uncomfortable. as such, i have never been intimate with anyone.

this is quite an interesting topic. i'd also like to know where all the questions came from?

Edited by figment, 28 February 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Dx The labels: Severe Major Depression/Psychosis, Bipolar, trichotillomania

Rx Venlafaxine (Effexor), Lamotrigine (Lamictal), and Perphenazine (Trilafon).

Past Citalopram (Celexa), Bupropion (Wellbutrin), and Risperidone (Risperdol). 

#7 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

When I started to hear voices, I just got thru coming down of mdma. I heard...Pils...in a loud voice...I thought it was my roommate and then I started to get very paranoid.....I started to hear voices when I was walking around OKC thinking about how I fear I gave my ex HIV and I would hear her voice like she was tided up and about to be murdered. You know honestly I don't know what I was thinking. My psychosis came on slow but, fast at the same time.....I don't believe my voices mean anything now but, when I came out of the psychosis...I would always question whether that was God punishing me or someone put a voodoo spell on me..

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#8 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Demons or some other negative spiritual presence.

Creatures from an alternative dimension. They aren't spiritual as I first thought. I think that there is more going on, something deeper. I accept them as hallucinations but I think that there are many explanations for the same experience, all of which are equally valid. These days I believe that the hallucinations will not harm me directly, even though their presence still scares me when they are around. I sense their presence quite a lot even though they are being quiet / not physically there.

The Ringleader has an identity that I have gotten to know since I met him. The others are just random voices. They are likely all creatures from another dimension. Though why they came to me I don't know, even though I have my suspicions. The Ringleader works very closely with my evil relative.

I know the Ringleader, but not the others. I don't know why they choose to talk to me other than just to scare me. I believe that if I stay in control then the worst they can do is scare me.

Sleep deprivation. Stress.

No.

Don't know.

Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#9 MorningsLight

MorningsLight

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hi everyone, hope you are all keeping well, I am new to this forum I have been lurking for the last six months or so and finally decided to sign up. I have gained great insight from your answers.  :) To answer your questions Op.

I had my first auditory hallucination when I was about 19. I was in college and I was getting a glass of water and I heard someone call my name, I looked around and no one was calling me. I thought the voice calling me was a mystical soul mate connection I had to a friend that she could call me in my mind, it was "fantastical thinking". In the beginning I had visual hallucinations of my skin turning into insects and floating hearts. Visual hallucinations now are very rare. I haven't had one in two years.I also had the aura experience. I could see white light around friends. That was my first experience with psychosis. Hope that helps answer your first question Op.

It's easy when your in a crisis state to think that the auditory hallucinations are real. I am always tricked by them when I am in crisis to believe they are real. However when I am in recovery I know they are a symptom of too much dopamine in my brain.

The really distressing voice was a female who had passed away chastising me about the awful life I was living. (When I wasn't living a bad life at all) She would call me, consistently giving out to me, it made me have very low self esteem. I must be a deeply lonely person because the next voice who has been in my head for five years is a man I fancied and he would romance me with his words, saying we were going to meet up at such a place and such a time etc etc but last year he said I had ruined him and he would hang himself (which was obviously very distressing). 

Yes I know all of the people in real life. I have never had a voice that I didn't know. I used to think that they talked to me on different frequencies or waves (like Radio) that other people couldn't hear.

When I was young and naive I used to think it was the self breaking down. Now I'm more inclined to think it is a chemical firing squad in my brain that has to be curtailed by anti-psychotic drugs. 

Yes and No. The people who I know in real life have the same voices as the voices in my mind. One person who I met years ago I couldn't in all reality remember his real voice, so it must have been invented. 

Somehow I was deeply invested in these people, both the woman and the two men, and had a deep emotional attachment to them. I have no explanation for why my voices didn't manifest as people I didn't know.

#10 g8orgirl

g8orgirl

• Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I was 9 years old when I first heard the voices, I remember not really knowing what they were but for awhile I thought other kids heard voices too. It wasn't until I got a little older that I realized it wasn't normal. The visual hallucinations started a few years after the voices, I remember thinking I was seeing spirits or something sinister and these really freaked me out for awhile.

I currently know (at least most of the time) that my hallucinations are just that - hallucinations. Sometimes I question that though, especially with the visuals because they are so unpleasant that sometimes I wonder if they are evil spirits or demons.

I don't really know who the voices/visuals are, the voices are two male and one female and they don't sound like anyone I know or have known. My visuals are rarely of people, the only one that's sort of a person is man with no face who dresses in a trenchcoat and hat.

I agree that the brain is complex and no one really knows 100% what causes hallucinations. I don't know if my mind invented the voices.

The last question is interesting to me, I'm not sure why I hear two male voices and one female. The two male voices are always saying horrible nasty things to me while the female voice (I call her the narrator) is mostly neutral. She just narrates everything I do like if I walk into the kitchen she says "You're walking into the kitchen, you're getting a drink" etc.
Schizoaffective - depressive type
Meds: Abilify 5 mgs, Effexor 75 mgs, Trazodone 100 mgs

#11 CookieN

CookieN

• Pip
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Thank you so much
for taking your time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

It is curious that
in spite of knowing they are hallucinations, most of you still feel them as
real.

I see that for some
people the voices are from real people, and for others they are from people you
have never met.

For those who
mentioned that the voices are from people in real life, are these people dead
or alive? If they are alive, have you mentioned to these people (in real life) you
hear their voices when they are not there?

Interesting, that
many of us thought that they were evil spirits inserting thoughts in our minds.
Or witchery done. Or the self breaking in parts and parts taking their own personality.

Cfranco2: It is interesting that you mentioned the “people
trapped inside of walls trying to get out”. I had a dead relative whose “image”
I saw years later, entering and disappearing in a wall.

It is curious that
even the voices can have personalities, like the sweet person you mentioned.

Figment:  You asked where all
these questions came from? And my answer is, that after having experienced all
these “weird” things, I started to wonder, if everyone´s experience with
psychosis was similar to mine. I wanted to know if there were differences.

Enlightened Plutonian: I have thought something
similar to what you said “I accept them as hallucinations but I think that
there are many explanations for the same experience, all of which are equally
valid are likely all creatures from another dimension”

MorningsLight:  Super interesting what you said about “you
thinking that these people talked to you on different frequencies or waves,
other people couldn´t hear”.

I read once that excess dopamine, makes people more sensitive to perceive things.

So maybe that is what is happening, we are perceiving things from other dimensions,

or perceive frequencies that other people don´t. Who knows?

G8orgilrl: It must´ve been shocking to
realize that “normal” people didn´t hear voices after many years of thinking
that everyone did.

Edited by CookieN, 01 March 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#12 figment

figment

Figure of speech

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

having instances where specific details of my dream happen the next day always leaves me doubting things. or when the voices alert me to something i couldn't have known, like who was going to walk down the hall when i get somewhere. *shrug* whooo knows??

Dx The labels: Severe Major Depression/Psychosis, Bipolar, trichotillomania

Rx Venlafaxine (Effexor), Lamotrigine (Lamictal), and Perphenazine (Trilafon).

Past Citalopram (Celexa), Bupropion (Wellbutrin), and Risperidone (Risperdol). 

#13 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21059 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

having instances where specific details of my dream happen the next day always leaves me doubting things. or when the voices alert me to something i couldn't have known, like who was going to walk down the hall when i get somewhere. *shrug* whooo knows??

Wow.  This has happened to me too. 

One example was that I was in Costco, and was "communicating" with one of my voices (who is also a person in real life, and I hear their voice), "asking" him which aisle my parents were in (I couldn't find them), and he "thought/said" "in the bread aisle." 

So I went to the bread aisle and there they were.  Now, Costco is a huge place, so it was a huge reality check that the voices were real.  I know now they aren't, but back then it really confirmed things for me.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#14 LordoftheMonkeys

LordoftheMonkeys

Worship me.

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

My hallucinations are all internal, so I originally thought it was just a vivid imagination.  It started very slowly over the course of several years, so I didn't think much of it.  Then I found out that something in your imagination can be considered a hallucination as long as it seems real and you have no control over it.

I believe the auditory hallucinations are people communicating with me telepathically.  My visual hallucinations are mostly out-of-body experiences rather than things I see in my environment, so I think of them as my consciousness going to another place for a moment.

The God and Satan voices are God and Satan respectively.  The other voices, I have no idea.  They could be people living in my head, they could be real people elsewhere in the world, they could even be aliens for all I know.

Yes, but only in my head, not in real life.  I don't know why they talk to me.

Dopamine hitting the wrong receptors.

Can't tell.

I don't know why my voices all sound different other than that they're from different people.  When a voice says something to me, sometimes it's a male voice and sometimes it's a female voice, sometimes it's a deep voice and sometimes it's high-pitched, sometimes it's a raspy voice, sometimes it's a whisper.  I can't really explain it.

Edited by LordoftheMonkeys, 07 March 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Current Dx: High-functioning autism, schizoaffective disorder (trying to change this to STPD), bipolar I ultra-rapid cycling, ADHD, temporal lobe epilepsy
Current Rx: Aderall, Risperdal, Geodon
Past Rx: Prozac, Cylexia, Trileptal, Anafrinil, Cogentin, Seroquel, Lithium, Saphris, Lamictal, Ritalin, Zyprexa
Past Dx: Major depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#15 6o9o6

6o9o6

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

-When you first had visual and/or auditory hallucinations what did you think they were?

It was last December when I first heard the voice. I thought it was just the product of my imagination, or even a spirit in my home, but my imagination has never produced an outside source of sound, and I did not sense a presence, or a manifesting one, when I heard it first. Then I tried to excuse it as an intrusive thought, even though this voice was not my own, or anything that I've heard before.

-Currently, what do you think your visual and/or auditory hallucinations really are?

Honestly, I wish I knew. I don't know if they're spirits/guardians/demons, etc. trying to communicate with me, or just drive me insane, but I can't tell.

-In relation to the voices/hallucinations who do you think these people are?

Like, before, I wish I knew. :(

-Do you know these people?  If not, why do you think they talk to you?

Well, the male voice I hear seems...strangely familiar in a way, as in a sense of comfort. But the others, and the ones that are like a whole auditorium in my head, I don't know of.

-What do you think happens in the brain to produce these voices, hallucinations?

I don't - and probably never will know.  But I'm beginning to believe that the male voice is actually apart of me.

-Did your mind invent these voices, tone of voice, gender?

Nope. Just appeared out of thin air one day. ._. I want to say almost literally.

-Why do you think these voices have these particular tone of voice, gender?  And not a different one?

I'm not too sure. :<

Dx

OCD & Major Depression

Zoloft (100mg) + Latuda (40mg)

Other non- Dx'd Symptoms:

Auditory & Visual(?) Hallucinations, Confused thinking, Derealization(?)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Schizoph, Schizoaff., Bipolar

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.