Photo

Tattoos representing the struggle/surviving?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit of a tattoo enthusiast and though I don't currently have the money for one, I'm always planning ahead to the next one that I want. Not sure if I will do this or not but I wondered if any of you have/have thought about getting one to represent your struggles with MI. If so, what are some of your ideas?
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#2 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3946 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have "The Devil and God are raging inside of me" covering scars on my left forearm.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Piportil Depot (75mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (2mg) Ritalin(20mg) Artane (PRN) Seroquel (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#3 Breebree93

Breebree93

That one guy

• Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Peace and love

I felt the need to get it because of the fact that there are too many fucked up things in life, so I wanted something pretty on my body to remind it doesn't have to be all bad. 

(I have a lot of scars, you can see pick marks on my legs...etc. Forgive that please.) It was something to counterbalance the bad. 

Attached File  100_3493.JPG   84.27KB   36 downloads

forgive my hairy foot....

Edited by Breebree93, 16 March 2013 - 03:43 PM.

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then the one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

And racing around to come up behind you again
~Pink Floyd

#4 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Cool guys. I had meant too ask about opinions on tattoos too cover scars too.

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

#5 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3754 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I plan on getting a phoenix b/c they represent always rising after the fall.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#6 thebakerbunny

thebakerbunny

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

when i got released from the ed clinic, i literally walked straight down the street and got my hip pierced. it was kind of a congratulatory thing.

#7 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

On the 11th anniversary of my abduction I got a tattoo of a Buddhist knot of eternity. It's in the mid upper back, so I don't see it much, but I know it's always there, protecting me in a way. Or 'backing me up,' as my tdoc said.

From what I've learned from various tattoo artists, it's generally not a good idea to tattoo over scarred skin. It reacts differently to ink and cause more scarring, or spreading of the ink.

Edited by shimmeree, 16 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin TID, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#8 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#9 Maybell

Maybell

I'm writing that bitch a sonnet. Bitches love sonnets

• Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

On the 11th anniversary of my abduction I got a tattoo of a Buddhist knot of eternity. It's in the mid upper back, so I don't see it much, but I know it's always there, protecting me in a way. Or 'backing me up,' as my tdoc said.

From what I've learned from various tattoo artists, it's generally not a good idea to tattoo over scarred skin. It reacts differently to ink and cause more scarring, or spreading of the ink.

I really like the knot of eternity tattoo, especially that you don't see it but know it's there..

One tattoo artist I spoke with said that for him he didn't have much more trouble tattooing over scars, in terms of ink spreading etc...he said that stretch marks were harder to tattoo over. I think it would also depend on the scar itself and whether it's fully healed etc...I recently read an article about someone who got a tattoo over a scar on his chest from open heart surgery and he said that getting tattooed over scar tissue was much more painful compared to other tattoos he had gotten previously.

Peace and love

I felt the need to get it because of the fact that there are too many fucked up things in life, so I wanted something pretty on my body to remind it doesn't have to be all bad. 

(I have a lot of scars, you can see pick marks on my legs...etc. Forgive that please.) It was something to counterbalance the bad. 

attachicon.gif100_3493.JPG

forgive my hairy foot....

Bree, I really love your tattoo, it is pretty and I like the thinking behind it, you have a lot of insight for someone your age

“Isolated, she managed somehow to feel free—albeit with a freedom that made her want to smash a hole in the very center of the universe.”

Flora Rheta Schreiber

#10 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thèse are all great! I have thought about getting a pheonix myself and TOT I plan on getting the little red righteous babe from the righteous babe record logo. Its so cool that you got a moth i love that album!

#11 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I have a bipolar tattoo - it is ankle to over my hip on the outside of my leg.  It's a non-representational vine with one centering piece and two dual elements around it.

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 40mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 50mg, Ativan 1mg

#12 Damik

Damik

• Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I got "Hold on Hope" from the song and to remind me to be strong. 

I also have a tattoo on my ankle. It really needs touching up so I won't post a picture. But on the outside it has an ankh with thorns wrapping around it. This is to represent the struggle with life. The thorns wrap around my ankle and surround ash leaves that symbolize strength and wisdom. These leaves surround the Celtic tree of life (this part of the tattoo really needs fixing because it is just a mess. I'm thinking of converting it to a eclipse). Crowning the tree of life is a pair of acorns that symbolize protection. The tattoo means a lot to me, I want to get it fixed up so I can be proud of, too.

Attached Files

Edited by Damik, 16 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

DX: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder Depressive Type, Insomnia, Borderline Personality Disorder and Overly Dramatic Person Who Gets Worse With Treatment

RX: Neurontin 600mg 2x/day, Fanapt 8mg 2x/day, Synthroid 0.112mg, Prozac 40mg

Former RX: Zyprexa, Moban, Risperidone, Geodon, Methylin, Strattera, Seroquel, Abilify, Effexor, Latuda, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zanax, Ativan, Depakote, Tegretol, Remeron, Luvox, Pristiq, Emsam, Trileptal, Restoril, Saphris, Topamax, Lithium, Seroquel, Thorazine, Klonipin

Time still goes on

Through each life of misery

Everybody's got a hold on hope

It's the last thing that's holding me

-Guided by Voices

#13 A208B

A208B

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

I'm writing an album right now and most of the subject matter is about what it's like to be bipolar. As soon as I've finished producing it, I'd like to have the cover art or some of the song lyrics tattooed on my body in a kind of two-for-one congratulatory memorial, like: "Hey, you're bipolar and you've accomplished this great thing!" 

I've also considered getting something tattooed on my thighs, which is where I used to cut. In addition to being a testament-to-survival thing, I think it would also make relapse much harder for me, at least on that area of my body. I love tattoos and think they're beautiful; I wouldn't want to ruin any lovely artwork.

DX: Bipolar I, rapid cycling / mixed episodes

Current RX: quetiapine (400mg), bupropion (300mg)

Past RX: sertraline, aripiprazole, trazodone, clonazepam

Other Treatment: seeing tdoc x1/week; pdoc ~x1/three weeks

On hiatus. Be back soon! ♥

#14 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have http://pinterest.com...72324710970984/ I got it for many reasons but the story behind it is that my freind S and I got into Awkward Ballon, http://www.urbandict...Awkward Balloon during Spring 2012. She was the one who took me to the ER and bought me awkward red ballons during IP (inaddion to other stuff). So I decided to turn the ballon into a sign for hope, and to remember to let things go.

I also have the one below, in Turkish it means 'dont panic'. The story behind this one is that I wanted more theny anything to go to Turkey with school, in May. But I was having great problems with one of the deans of my school, who had the power to prevent me from going. I was able to go with several pepple going to bat for me. But I spent the trip alternating between 'BEST DAY EVER" and "WHAT HAVE I DONE"(think Rapunzle from Tangled when she leaves the tower). I started to calm down with the help of a PRN. But a few days before we where leaving, we took the tram in Istanbul. My freind Kim almost triped on to the tracks, but caught herself. A Turkish dude said "Panik Yuklu! Panik Yuklu" or as our teacher told us dont panic. Its on my wrist and serves as a way for me to rember how important that trip was and how important it is to not panic.

You can read my theological/emotinal/personal relfections on my tatts at http://itinerant-cam...anik-yuklu.html

photo%283%29.JPG

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#15 Breebree93

Breebree93

That one guy

• Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Technically it is covering scars...when I did drugs I used to pick at my feet. 

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then the one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

And racing around to come up behind you again
~Pink Floyd

#16 AngelBunnyBaby

AngelBunnyBaby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a teal survivor ribbon (for childhood sexual abuse) on my arm, and the "OM" symbol on my wrist. I would find something that you like and you don't mind explaining... although you don't have to explain anything you do not wish to share. I just get asked all the time if it's a breast cancer ribbon, and I tell them what it is... Good luck!! :D

Dr says: Panic disorder/ w agoraphobia, PTSD, ADHD

Current meds: Clonazepam 3mg, Abilfy 5mg, Trazodone 50mg, Adderall XR 50mg, Xanax .5mg as needed

Past meds: Seraquil, Lexapro, Lithium, Adivan, Valium, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and more I can't remember...

#17 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the responses i so wish i could get one now!

#18 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4702 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I want a dragonfly as my "MI" tattoo. Idk why. They just seem related to me.

I have a sea monster (taken from Where the Wild Things Are) to remind me to be calm and that it will be okay.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres. Oh look! I made a Thing!

Rx: weekly injections of Standard Knowledge as needed

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#19 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#20 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I have a phrase tattooed on my left wrist (too paranoid of being identified in real life to say what it is right now) and that always kept me from cutting on it. I would love to get the big scar on my right wrist tattooed over with something meaningful, but I don't know, would tattoos on both wrists be too much?

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.