5 replies to this topic

#1 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5648 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Pretty much without fail.

Its not the flying, the getting to the airport stupid early, the being away from home/routine, being afraid I'm forgetting things when I pack, etc etc... not any one specific thing.

Traveling is hard for me.

I can kind of talk myself through each part of it... like I'm not going to Outer Slobovia. If I forget something, I can replace it... for example, I was buying underwear in Philadelphia on Christmas Day one year. Nothing bad happened.

Fortunately I can now go places without another human because I have my trusty Nugget at my side.

Now if I would stop procrastinating, get off the computer and get to bed that would help a lot.

Falling asleep would help more.

The other thing that's hard for me about traveling is it messes up my poo. Sorry if that's TMI. I think I'm kind of a "shy pooper" who needs a routine to get things going. Not sure how to counteract that effectively yet.

Edited by Wooster, 18 March 2013 - 11:25 PM.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#2 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19157 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

I'm sorry you are going through that.  Pre-anxiety for a trip really sucks; it happens to me too.  I'm glad though the trip itself will be ok. 

Do you make a list of things to bring so that you can check things off, so you wont forget anything?  I find it makes my life so much easier wherever I do, and I pack everything on it, then double check it all.  Hardly ever forget things anymore.  And if I think of something that is not written down yet, I just go to the list and add it (I keep the list on my desktop).

I know totally what you mean by throwing off the bathroom stuff.  When I am away that is a huge concern for me also, and I am totally aware of it too, probably too aware, but it helps to be and so constipation doesn't catch me off-guard at any point during the trip. 

When I go away I usually bring some Miralax with me, and/or some magnesium vitamins (I'd ask your DR about what is ok to take) in case I run into any problems.  Both act as laxatives. 

Actually I am assuming you get constipated ... Not sure how to help if it is diarrhea.  I guess just be very careful what you eat.  I hope this helps.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#3 Sparkle

Sparkle

• Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Hope you have a good trip!  I understand about the anxiety.  I have horrible anxiety around traveling.  What gets me through is to plan and over plan for everything, make lists, double check, etc.  Having extra of my meds, and lots of good snacks also eases my mind.

#4 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3617 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Here's a couple of travel checklists that might be helpful:

http://www.travelschecklist.com/

http://www.realsimpl...0225/index.html

Could you get a PRN benzo to help with the anxiety?

As for the bathroom habits, I'm not sure what to tell you except to try some of the OTC remedies designed to help in that situation.

I hope you have a great trip and that it is as stress-free as possible.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#5 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have found that it's really easy to get dehydrated without noticing when traveling, and that causes everything to slow down. 

New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#6 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I find stuff to get anxious about before trips, and that it is almost always fine does little to help me for the next time. 

Nugget is awesome.

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 40mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 50mg, Ativan 1mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.