Photo
- - - - -

What mental assessments does Ssdi request?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

I have had the gaf and the mini mental exam completed but am wondering what other exams Ssdi may require?

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#2 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

My pdoc filled out the forms they sent, but I didn't take a specific test.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#3 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19064 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

Same with me; I thought it based on DRs information they provide to SSDI.  My DRs fill them all out too.  I didn't have to take a test either.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#4 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

That seems odd to me since for short term disability he had to report my gaf and fill out a mini mental exam. Just figured sdi would require more.

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#5 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3610 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

I also did not have to take a test.  The only requirement was my pdoc filling out paperwork.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#6 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5626 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Your practitioner will have a form to complete. It should be mailed to them, if I recall correctly.

SSDI requires a full mental health assessment by qualified professionals. The shape of this particular assessment is determined by your health care provider, but it must address your current level of functioning, a DSM-IV-TR five axis diagnosis (the GAF is axis 5), and expected course of recovery or continuing disability.

Some practitioners use something called a SCID (structured clinical interview for the DSM), which you may recognize as a pretty standard clinical assessment. Some will use pen and paper or computer versions of measures for depression and anxiety and the like. Some will use none of these and have a more conversational style.

Sometimes SSI (not SSDI that I'm aware of) will request that you have a full neuropsychiatric or psychological assessment by a licensed neurologist or psychologist. This could be a battery of tests ranging from a Wisconsin Card Sort Test to a MMPI and/or other various standardized measures with an interview.

Edited by Wooster, 24 March 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#7 Josie

Josie

done.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Sometimes SSI (not SSDI that I'm aware of) will request that you have a full neuropsychiatric or psychological assessment by a licensed neurologist or psychologist. This could be a battery of tests ranging from a Wisconsin Card Sort Test to a MMPI and/or other various standardized measures with an interview.

This full examination CAN be done by YOUR practitioner if they meet the liscensing requirements. If you are informed that you are scheduled for an interview/exam, call SSA and inform them that [your doctor] will be performing the exam. To make it clear: You have every right to do this. It isn't often mentioned by a person at SSA, but there are several places where it is written in the application policy.

Edited by Josie, 24 March 2013 - 12:12 PM.

I'm smart.
I'm friendly and open, but know and establish boundaries.
I don't back down from things I know I need.

#8 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

This full examination CAN be done by YOUR practitioner if they meet the liscensing requirements. If you are informed that you are scheduled for an interview/exam, call SSA and inform them that [your doctor] will be performing the exam. To make it clear: You have every right to do this. It isn't often mentioned by a person at SSA, but there are several places where it is written in the application policy.

This is very interesting information.  wow  I thought one had to go to the independent evaluation.  IME

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#9 Josie

Josie

done.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Nope. I found this information, and called SSA and said I was going to reschedule with a preferred provider. They said it was fine, I was examined by my own psychiatrist, and approved in six months.

I'm smart.

#10 Antigone

Antigone

Queen of the Neverlands

• Pip
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I was required to go to a psychologist for a battery of tests and interview for my SSDI, and my psychiatrist was required to fill out a form.  My psychologist also wrote a letter in lieu of sending my medical records.

I am not one and simple, but complex and many. . . .
~ Virginia Woolf

Dx: c-PTSD, Bipolar I with Psychosis, DDNOS, Migraines
Rxs: Remeron 15mgm, Wellbutrin 450mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg prn, Amantadine 100mg bid, Ambien 10 mg, Imitrex 100mg prn

#11 dilemma

dilemma

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I had to go to a pdoc that the SSA set up.  He felt I was higher functioning than my own pdoc did, and the judge said that since I had been seeing my pdoc regularly for awhile, he took my pdocs word over theirs.

I never had to take any separate test.

dx: Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type

rx: 150mg Clozaril

#12 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I never had to see another pdoc or take any tests when I applied for SSDI either.

All they had to do was send in my paper work and I was approved within months.

Good luck!
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 150mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#13 Josie

Josie

done.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I had to go to a pdoc that the SSA set up.  He felt I was higher functioning than my own pdoc did, and the judge said that since I had been seeing my pdoc regularly for awhile, he took my pdocs word over theirs.

I never had to take any separate test.

So, you inquired specifically about being examined by your own psychiatrist and they told you that it wasn't ok?

Edited by Josie, 24 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

I'm smart.

#14 ItchInMyHead

ItchInMyHead

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

I can only speak of personal experience.

All of my doctors, past and present, from primary care physicians to psychiatrists to psychologists and therapists, were sent requests for all medical records by the State and my representative.

The State then sent me to two doctors. One was a general physician, who was mostly inspecting for physical handicaps, and the other was a psychologist, who spoke to me and my then-wife for nearly an hour in a very uncomfortable room. The psychologist also had me answer a few pages of questions. During my hearing, the state-selected psychologist's notes played a major factor in the court ruling in favor of my case.

Current Dx: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Restless Leg Syndrome

Current Rx: Lamictal, Seroquel, Buspar, Xanax, Clonidine, Ambien, Neurontin, Neupro

Former Rx: Depakote, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Abilify, Restoril, Remeron, Trazodone, Amitriptyline, Trimipramine, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, and a bunch of other things I can't remember. I'm only listing crazy meds for the sake of my sanity.

#15 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5626 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Itch, was that for SSI, SSDI, or both?

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#16 ItchInMyHead

ItchInMyHead

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Itch, was that for SSI, SSDI, or both?

Both, but the process would have been the same for SSDI. I assume it also would have been the same if I was seeking just SSI, but I do not know for sure.

Current Dx: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Restless Leg Syndrome

Current Rx: Lamictal, Seroquel, Buspar, Xanax, Clonidine, Ambien, Neurontin, Neupro

Former Rx: Depakote, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Abilify, Restoril, Remeron, Trazodone, Amitriptyline, Trimipramine, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, and a bunch of other things I can't remember. I'm only listing crazy meds for the sake of my sanity.

#17 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Both my initial application and my CDR (continuing disability review) went the same way. The ssa requested medical records from all my provides and then sent me to their own consulting pdoc for a psych exam. The first part talked about my mental illness and how it manifested itself and the second half was memory-based tests.

I didn't have any more exams after that, but I am still waiting on approval from my CDR.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.