Photo
- - - - -

MOOD STABILIZERS, do they really help with mood swings?

bipolar schizoaffective

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CookieN

CookieN

• Pip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

When you started Mood Stabilizers, did they really help with your mood swings. Did they really lessen your mood changes?.

Do you have any experience with the following meds: Lamictal or Topamax?

Does the efficacy decrease as time goes by? meaning that mood stabilizer could really help at the beginning but then lose its efficacy?

Do you feel traditional mood stabilizers, work better in controlling moods than antipsychotics (when they are used as mood stabilizers). I am taking zyprexa as a mood stabilizer

Edited by CookieN, 24 March 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#2 misanthropicusername

misanthropicusername

Pharmacology is Magic

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I've had a lot of success with a combination of Lamictal and lithium recently. I've only been on them for 7? months now, so I don't know about long term loss of efficacy. It's really leveled me out without any flattening of affect. I have had to make some small adjustments, though. I started getting a bit hypomanic about a month ago, upped my lithium a little and it put the brakes on. Now back to stable.

I happen to love the Lamictal. No noticeable side effects from that or my lithium. But everyone's pharmacology is different, YMMV and all that. No experience with Topamax.

Edit (in light of your edit): Yes. Very yes. I've never had a good experience with antipsychotics. Again, YMMV. I know they help some people. But I'm really not a fan of how atypicals have become so standard as mood stabilizers when there are plenty of tried-and-true actual mood stabilizers out there, generally with less side effects.

Edited by misanthropicusername, 24 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Software Malfunctions: Bipolar NOS, C-PTSD

Hardware Malfunctions: Abby Normal temporal lobe activity, CRPS (in remission)

Upkeep: Lithium Carbonate XR 750mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Vilazodone 20mg, Prazosin 10mg, Dronabinol 5mg, Propranolol 5-10mg (p.r.n.), Clonazepam 0.5-1mg (p.r.n.), Temazepam 15mg (p.r.n.), Caffeine (p.r.n.), Lucky Strikes (p.r.n.)

Accessories: Spine electronics and an ass computer Spinal Cord Stimulator

Incompatibilities: Valproic Acid, Methylphenidate, Pemoline, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Ketamine, Citalopram, Sinequan, Escitalopram, Sertraline, Bupropion, Buspirone, Motherfucking Hugs

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth."

#3 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

goodness yes they help

that is why we take them!!

I think it is very individual whether you take an AAP. an AC, or a combination of them

Lamictal seems to be a workhorse for depression

and Lithium is both anti manic, plus helps with depression

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#4 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19089 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

"Does the efficacy decrease as time goes by? meaning that mood
stabilizer could really help at the beginning but then lose its
efficacy?"

I am on lamictal and haven't had this problem.  I've been on 600 mg for many years (at least 10 years, probably more).

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#5 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

I turned out to have an allergic-like reaction to lamotrigine, so, none of that for me.

The second they tried with me, divalproex sodium (Depakote/Epival,) works like a charm, at the right dose.  It acts as an antidepressant for me, which is usually my main problem.

I can apparently have breakthrough symptoms/episodes, as my recent mixed state over this past month demonstrated.  But apparently this is not too unusual and commonly related to things like seasonal changes, for example.  Yay for spring!  I then required additional medication therapy while IP for about a week to get the hypomania end of my mixed episode under control.  They used a combination of clonazepam, quetiapine, and Zopiclone, along with my regular daily dose of divalproex -- and they took me off my Concerta just for the duration.

I'm back on the Concerta again, clonazepam has been in my little collection for a while for anxiety issues, still on divalproex and now I have Zopiclone for sleep issues which can crop up for me time and again - not necessarily related to the bipolar, hell, my ADHD makes staying up allll too easy.

I also have quetiapine added into my cocktail now.  It's supposed to be a PRN like my clonazepam and Zopiclone, but I've been having success with it as a daily med... not for my bipolar, really, but more for some of my OCD-related things and dermatillomania.  I'll be speaking with my pdoc about her thoughts on this during our next appointment.

I am comforted by the thought that if it ever turns out that my divalproex *does* become less effective, I have lots and lots of room to go up on the dose.  Both in terms of how much I take per day and in blood levels (I'm at the lowest end of 'effective blood level' for valproates, upon blood testing.)

*** oh, and it took about a year for me to have a breakthrough mixed episode after we got me on the divalproex.  And after about two weeks of treatment for it I seem to be getting back to normal.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#6 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I started Lamictal (Generic) after Abilify was making me unable to sit still. It has been very good to me as a mood stabalizer. I still get moody and itritable and depressed but its no longer from A to Z depressed. I get some minor breakthrough but I manage that with therapy.   The swings are more A-C anoying but managable for me. A gloryaus wonderfull change from this point last year when every day felt like a A-Z mess.  I was a mess during tiration becuse we where still trying to figure it all out, but it has been worth it for me. I do have some GI issues but I do not know what med it is (but i'm looking at you Celexa, i'm looking at you. But maybe you and the Metformin are in cahoots...)

I tried topomax for about a week and it made me physicly ill to the point that I could not take it. But it might work for you.

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#7 CookieN

CookieN

• Pip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thank your for your responses!......For those of you who are taking Lamictal and Depakote....did you gain weight on them?

#8 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19089 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

No weight gain on lamictal.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#9 misanthropicusername

misanthropicusername

Pharmacology is Magic

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I've actually been slowly losing weight since I started Lamictal. Which is good, I could stand to lose a few lbs.

Software Malfunctions: Bipolar NOS, C-PTSD

Hardware Malfunctions: Abby Normal temporal lobe activity, CRPS (in remission)

Upkeep: Lithium Carbonate XR 750mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Vilazodone 20mg, Prazosin 10mg, Dronabinol 5mg, Propranolol 5-10mg (p.r.n.), Clonazepam 0.5-1mg (p.r.n.), Temazepam 15mg (p.r.n.), Caffeine (p.r.n.), Lucky Strikes (p.r.n.)

Accessories: Spine electronics and an ass computer Spinal Cord Stimulator

Incompatibilities: Valproic Acid, Methylphenidate, Pemoline, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Ketamine, Citalopram, Sinequan, Escitalopram, Sertraline, Bupropion, Buspirone, Motherfucking Hugs

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth."

#10 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

I love Lamictal.  I've been on it for about four years, with no change in efficiacy and no weight gain.  I had some headaches when I titrated up, but they went away after a couple of days, and were controllable with advil. 

New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#11 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I gained a buttload on depakote but i love lamictals lack of side effects.
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#12 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

No weight gain on the Depakote for me. *shrugs*

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#13 wj74

wj74

complicated

• Pip
  • 2230 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I like my Lamictal. It worked better for me than Abilify but not as good as Seroquel.

SZA, bipolar type.

#14 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3614 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

No weight gain on Lamical or Depakote, but I did lose a lot of hair at a high dose of Depakote (3000 mg/day).

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#15 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I was on lamictal(100 - 200mg)  for 4 years before it lost its efficacy and started causing side effects. But my pdoc suggested going back on it again recently, if the viibryd he prescribed didn't work for depression.

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

#16 Luna-

Luna-

Pharmaceutically Enhanced

• Pip
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

No weight gain on Lamictal, but weight gain on Epilim (SA equivalent of Depakote, well, almost).

Bipolar 1, hypothyroid

Meds: Lamictin 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, trazodone 200mg, benzo prn (sleep), thyroxine 0.2mg

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. - Anton Chekhov                                                                              

#17 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3837 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Moving this to AntiConvulsants.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (37.5mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Dexedrine (20mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#18 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Lamictal certainly did lessen my mood changes. I didn't gain any weight on it either. I'd highly recommend it.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#19 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm on 400Mg lamictal and no side effects. Well, I do have some problems with word finding but not enough to go off it and I really don't want to lower my dose cause it's working well.
Yes I still have breakthrough depression at time and one breakthrough mania but both only lasted about 4-6 days and I just worked through it and have been pretty fine for quite some time.
I also like Seroquel for sleep and I guess at my dose it works for depression as well. No side effects from that either, no weight gain.
HTH
Bipolar 1, Panic disorder.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#20 dtac

dtac

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I had some crazy side-effects from Lamictal + AAPs, but they all subsided. I tried Lamictal as a monotherapy, but it did almost nothing for my depression. No weight gain.

Valproate hyped me up and killed my memory. I wasn't on it very long, maybe 6 weeks, but no weight gain from it either.

dx: BP NOS (was BPII, pdoc is thinking of changing it to BPI)

rx: lithium (300mg AM, 600mg PM), wellbutrin XL 150mg, lamictal 50mg, klonopin 1-2mg PRN, ambien PRN sleep

failed rx: prozac, buspar, tranxene, remeron, depakote, gabapentin, risperdal, geodon, seroquel, restoril, latuda, saphris (fuck this drug), trileptal, effexor, valium, trazodone

Bipolar is the roller-coaster that you can't get off of.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.