Sleep Paralysis or Seizures?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

Starting in 1/04 I would find that when I napped, I would have this problem where I was half awake but asleep, and I couldn't move though I was aware of my surroundings and could open my eyes.  I felt completely heavy and could not even turn my head.  I felt like someone could get in my home or was coming in and that I was completely helpfless.  This has happened several times, about 50% of the time that I try to nap in the day.

Tonight it happened again but seemed even more severe.  I was more awake than normally when these happen which might be why it was worse.  But I would drift in and out of sleep and while drifting in I would hear this very loud buzzing noise, which went away if I drifted right out of sleep, but then come back when I started drifting off again.  And the same thing where I couldn't move, only it seemed like my head was moving and I was moaning trying to talk.  VERY freaky.

I've been having problems staying asleep at night and I wonder if these things happen to me in the middle of the night, only I don't remember because I'm in a heavier state of sleep.  I don't know if these are seizures or sleep paralysis or what... it FELT so weird, the buzzing was like ELECTRICAL and my brain seemed to be throbbing or something weird like that.

Anyone ever experience this type of thing?  I of course will see a doctor but I'm curious.  Sometimes I feel ilke I might have some sort of narcolepsy, because I do get so damn tired I feel like if I just rest for 5 minutes, I'll be fine.  So like at work I might go to the restroom and take a quick sleep, then wake right back up and do well.  So I just don't know...

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#2 Guest_Guest_Croix_*_*

Guest_Guest_Croix_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

Hi Aloha,

I have had somewhat similar experiences the past few years. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was about 3 yrs old, put on anticonvulsants for a few years then weaned off and declared "cured". Well my tonic-clonic seizures were emotionally triggered. Whenever I got upset, I had a seizure.

Now that I'm older (28), I only have seizures in my sleep. I had one yesterday in fact, after going 3 months without. I was napping and woke up gasping for breath, my tongue was numb/tingling, my body ached and I was disoriented. After I came to, I sat up and cried. They are so disturbing. So I know how you feel. No matter how much you know, it's still difficult to understand what's happening.

You definetly need to get to a neurologist. I suggest keeping a log/diary of your experiences to bring to the doctor. I say this because the last few eegs I've gotten have all come back normal, yet I continue to have seizures. And the only info my new neuro had to go on was my first positive eeg (that I had when I was 3) and my detailed seizure history log.

Wether it's some form of narcolepsy, epilepsy, or sleep disorder, only the doc will be able to figure out through testing.
Good luck,

Croix

#3 Guest_Guest_Croix_*_*

Guest_Guest_Croix_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

Sorry for the name f-up, ahalo. I'm not awake yet, and the damn edit button seems to have disappeared...grrrrr.

Croix

#4 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4282 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

Sorry for the name f-up, ahalo. I'm not awake yet, and the damn edit button seems to have disappeared...grrrrr.

Croix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Croix- you can't edit as a guest.
if you sign in and repost, we can fix these if you like?
"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#5 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

Sounds spot-on like Hypnagogic hallucinations, they are pretty normal (most people experience them at some point) and it may well be that the meds you are on are influencing your sleep.

#6 Lisa_K

Lisa_K

sweet something

• Pip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hey Ahalo...this doesnt sound like any kind of seizure Ive had...but everyone is different...this is definately something I would talk to your doc about as soon as you can, in case it is something of concern, if it could be a seizure, or med related...Lisa
Here for the Crazyboards Members!!! (Please seek PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE from a doctor before making a health decision...I am NOT a professional)

#7 grousemouse

grousemouse

Be calm, move on.

• Pip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

hi ahalo,

i realise i'm going to sound like a complete tool here, but what you described reminded me of stuff that i read in carl sagan's book "demon-haunted world". this phenomenon of feeling paralyzed yet awake in one's sleep is as ancient as humans. a long time ago it was thought to be due to a night-time visitation by a demon which sat upon one's chest (hence the 'paralyzation and inability to move or get up') and tormented the sleeping person's thoughts.

p. 117
"Demons, the "powers of the air," come down from the skies and have unlawful sexual congress with women. Augustine believed that witches were the offspring of these forbidden unions. In the Middle Ages, as in classical antiquity, nearly everyone believed such stories. The demons were also called devils, or fallen angels. The demonic seducers of women were labeled incubi; of men, succubi."

p. 118
"As they seduced, the incubi and succubi were perceived as a weight bearing down on the chest of the dreamer. Mare, despite its Latin meaning, is the Old English word for incubus, and nightmare meant originally the demon that sits on the chests of sleepers, tormenting them with dreams."

neat huh? and interestingly (well, to me at least, and presumably unrelated to what we're talking about) "demon" means knowledge in greek.

so i have absolutely no idea if what you are suffering from is MI related, or med related, but it certainly has some substantial historical, uh, history.  i certainly don't want to seem to be making light of your situation because i know how upsetting it can be. i have experienced the same kind of thing you describe. one time was when i was in grad school and our grad student office was directly across the hall from the Head of School's office. i was sitting at my desk having a nap with my head and arms resting on it. one of my office-mates was a student of the Head and i dreamt that they were talking in the hall and were going to come into our office to continue the discussion. i DIDN'T want the Head to see me napping when i should be working so i tried to sit up and pretend i'd been doing some reading. but i couldn't move. i was immobilised. utterly. i could not sit up. i fought it and tried as hard as i could to sit up but there was some force keeping me down. i remember the panic as i tried to do this. i think i finally managed to sit up, but i have no idea if it was still in the dream or not.

grouse.

In latest news, the Italian entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, "I Can't Get No Contraception", has been withdrawn from the competition after the Pope advised them to pull it out at the last minute.

Source: Not The Nine O'Clock News.

#8 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:51 PM

They don't think it was a seizure or med related-- probably just sleep paralysis.  Apparently both my half-sisters have always had the same problem though not with the loud buzzing noise.  ONe time I had to roll off my bed in order to snap out of it.  But it just seemed worse last night...  Thanks for the replies...

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#9 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

They don't think it was a seizure or med related-- probably just sleep paralysis. Apparently both my half-sisters have always had the same problem though not with the loud buzzing noise. ONe time I had to roll off my bed in order to snap out of it. But it just seemed worse last night... Thanks for the replies...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said the noises/auditory hallucination is called Hypnagogic Hallucinations. It is linked with sleep paralysis but involves visual and auditory hallucinations and/or emotional and other sensory changes (often also 'half-dreams') upon falling asleep.

If it happens upon waking up (usually only present in narcolepsy) it is called a Hypnopopic Hallucination.

http://watarts.uwate...cheyne/S_P.html

Edited by ScatterBrain_UK, 12 November 2005 - 12:20 PM.

#10 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

Also, just found this in the side effects section: http://www.crazyboar...?showtopic=3265

Seems Effexor can aggravate such sleep issues, similar to Wellbutrin and other ADs.

#11 Niz

Niz

of the Cephian Trinity

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

I'm going to go against what it seems everyone's agreeing on here ;) Those are almost the exact symptoms I had that made me seek out a neurologist in the first place. I would suddenly freeze up, be able to move any part of my body, but I still knew what was going on around me. It usually happened for less than a minute, but it does feel really weird. My brain will start throbbing and my vision gets fuzzy at the sides, and I know that if someone were to come into my room, I'd be unable to say or do anything. It's a scary feeling.

To make a long story short, my neurologist diagnosed me with simple partial seizures.

Let me quote this from epilepsyfoundation.org:

People who have simple partial seizures do not lose consciousness during the seizure. However, some people, although fully aware of what's going on, find they can't speak or move until the seizure is over.

They remain awake and aware throughout. Sometimes they can talk quite normally to other people during the seizure. And they can usually remember exactly what happened to them while it was going on.

However, simple partial seizures can affect movement, emotion, sensations, and feelings in unusual and sometimes even frightening ways.

Hope that helps! Maybe something you should mention to your neurologist if you decide to seek one out.
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit. They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed." - Fight Club

#12 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:07 AM

I would suddenly freeze up, be able to move any part of my body, but I still knew what was going on around me. It usually happened for less than a minute, but it does feel really weird. My brain will start throbbing and my vision gets fuzzy at the sides, and I know that if someone were to come into my room, I'd be unable to say or do anything. It's a scary feeling.

To make a long story short, my neurologist diagnosed me with simple partial seizures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely the big difference is that sleep paralysis only occurs when you're asleep/falling asleep, whereas the whole point of mentioning that one "remains awake" during a simple partial seizure is because they usually happen when one is up & about and conscious to start with.

This is in contrast to things like absence seizures or grand mals where you usually (or in the case of absence seizures, by definition) lose consciousness.

What ahalo described was something that happens exclusively and specifically upon falling asleep (or in the case of hypnopompic hallucinations, upon waking up), i.e. sleep paralysis with hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations. (In her case auditory)

I am aware that there are some kinds of seizures that only occur during sleep, and that there might be connections between seizure activity and sleep-onset phenomena (such as myoclonic jerks), but sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations are well-known phenomena.

If someone exclusively experiences the things described by ahalo, and never experiences them during another activity other than the deliberate process of lying down and falling asleep (unless one is narcoleptic), a diagnosis of epilepsy based solely on that description seems highly dubious.

The meds that ahalo is on, especially Effexor, are well-known for causing slight sleep disturbances, and ahalo has I believe extensively described excessive sleepiness as a side effect from that medication.Phenomena such as sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations usually tend to increase in such cases.

Edited by ScatterBrain_UK, 16 November 2005 - 06:17 AM.

#13 Lisa_K

Lisa_K

sweet something

• Pip
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

Surely the big difference is that sleep paralysis only occurs when you're asleep/falling asleep, whereas the whole point of mentioning that one "remains awake" during a simple partial seizure is because they usually happen when one is up & about and conscious to start with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, some epileptics do have seizures upon falling asleep...myoclonic seizures, for example, are known to occur late at night before bed as well as in the morning...as other seizures can occur this way too, essp. after a stressful day. Been there. Then theres always the night seizure tonic clonic...thats only happenned to me once that I think I am aware of ( I say 'think' because I woke up with my tongue chewed up, sore, wet pants, scared, etc....but Id been asleep all night) but it was nothing that ahalo described.
Here for the Crazyboards Members!!! (Please seek PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE from a doctor before making a health decision...I am NOT a professional)

#14 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:40 AM

Well, some epileptics do have seizures upon falling asleep...

I know, that's why I stated above:

I am aware that there are some kinds of seizures that only occur during sleep, and that there might be connections between seizure activity and sleep-onset phenomena (such as myoclonic jerks), but sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations are well-known phenomena [should have added "...and are very different from the types of seizures normally experienced during sleep"]

Please also note that the quote of mine refers to seizures that occur when awake (as highlighted in bold),  specifically to the partial complex seizures the previous poster referred to, seizure types where "remaining conscious" is emphasised due to the seizures commonly occuring while the person is awake.

Edited by ScatterBrain_UK, 16 November 2005 - 07:45 AM.

#15 Niz

Niz

of the Cephian Trinity

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:19 AM

Thanks ScatterBrain for clearing that up ;) But just to point something out, I only have my "freezing up" spells when I'm laying in bed about to fall asleep, or once in a blue moon when I'm waking up in the morning.
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit. They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed." - Fight Club

#16 ScatterBrain_UK

ScatterBrain_UK

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

Thanks ScatterBrain for clearing that up ;) But just to point something out, I only have my "freezing up" spells when I'm laying in bed about to fall asleep, or once in a blue moon when I'm waking up in the morning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was your diagnosis based *just* on what you told the doctor or did you get a sleep study/eeg etc. done?

#17 grousemouse

grousemouse

Be calm, move on.

• Pip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

I'm going to go against what it seems everyone's agreeing on here ninja.gif Those are almost the exact symptoms I had that made me seek out a neurologist in the first place.

no no! demons i tell you. ;)

grouse.

In latest news, the Italian entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, "I Can't Get No Contraception", has been withdrawn from the competition after the Pope advised them to pull it out at the last minute.

Source: Not The Nine O'Clock News.

#18 Guest_darla_*

Guest_darla_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

GrouseMouse - Are you still there? I just found this board and your post of four years ago. I've seen the demon. On my chest. It had the head of a griffin, black with a large beak and a green hood -- almost like you'd see on a falcon. I have been having these "episodes" for over 20 years. Any they follow me -- I can be at home, on vacation, or half-way around the world. Egads.

#19 Guest_Kayla_*

Guest_Kayla_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

This exact thing happens to me. I will feel perfectly fine and then all of a sudden, I am forcefully thrown into a repressive sleep state, struggling to stay awake in fear of this horrible feeling. I become partially paralyzed, my head begins buzzing in throbbing increments, and I feel like I am falling into something dismal and horrifying. I have to violently trash my head back and forth before it consumes me and I can't move at all. I can shake myself out of it. I usually sit up or change positions in hopes it will not return. It usually does, and I am then forced to get up and walk around to fully climb out of this state. It's like quick sand. If you don't get out all the way, you will continue to sink. Many times, whilst in this state, I have been accompanied by frightening images and hallucinations. Objects in the room shape-shifting and moving like fractals. I fall into REM sleep right away and have the most intense dreams. I awake from these dreams and large traces of DMT are still present in my system. After an initial dream, I can awake and still see visualizations and fractal points around the room. I have had this problem ever since I was a child.

#20 Guest_IneedPEACEFULLsleep_*

Guest_IneedPEACEFULLsleep_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have had similar expriences since I was a young girl. I wake from my sleep, unable to move, feeling afraid that something is going to come into my room and hurt me and I can open my eyes but I usually just close them b/c I'm too afraid of what I may see. Then I hear a very loud buzzing sound and my body starts shaking uncontrollably. I am aware, at least in the beginning, of where I am and what is happening, in fact can even hear my husband snoring. Next I'm not sure what happens most times and I wake up when it's over. I went to a neurologist many years ago to try to figure out what was going on but we came to no definite conclusions. Though it continues to happen, but not very frequently, I haven't gone back to the dr, nor have I brought it up to anyone. I wish I could just leave it at that but I have also had many other strange experiences in the night. Including, remembering seeing beings, being moved around etc. During a recent episode, I opened my eyes, only to see my husband floating above the bed beside me, a tall being standing against the wall near our bed and I saw long ugly fingers of a being coming into our room through a window. Though I could not move, I could definitely see. I tried my hardest to scream but all I could get out was a wierd noise that did nothing to awaken my husband. I closed my eyes and prayed for it to be over. Next I remember feeling something like examining me, picking up my legs and feet and inspecting them. Really wierd. And then, I was awake in a panick like always. Another recent episode, I was so sick of this that I had this feeling like I knew something was coming into my room. This time my husband was out of town and our baby was asleep with me. I couldn't move but I tried my hardest and was finally able to get one of my arms up and I swung 2x at the thing by my bed. I wasn't able to turn my head to see but whatever it was grabbed my arm and twisted it so I couldn't move. I remember finally giving up and putting my arm back over my baby and crying b/c I knew I was helpless. I woke up when it was over.

I have no idea what is truly going on here. I mean what the hell is happening to me?

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.