• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

The good, the bad, the ugly?? 

What's your experiences been like? Pdoc just prescribed me this today. 40mg for a week, then up to 80mg for a week, then 120mg. I also have to go for blood work and will be start Depakote next month. 

So....what are some things you have experienced?? 

Thanks everyone!

Becca 

Author of Moorestorms A Guide for the Bipolar Parent

"And I never thought I'd say, that I'm weaker today than I was yesterday..oh man
But I'll fight as I always fight with whats inside of me.. this warrior spirit inside of me" - Sully Erna Broken Road

#2 Dusk

Dusk

Giggity.

• Pip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I was only on it for a week, but it was so sedating to me that I couldn't tolerate it. Others here have said they like it a lot.

DX: Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective, OCD, type II diabetes

Current psych. RX: Haldol, Lithium, Viibryd, Wellbutrin, Ambien

Tried previously: ECT, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Provigil, Remeron, Abilify, Geodon, Klonopin, Buspar, Lexapro, Trazodone, Luvox, Trilaphon, Pristiq, Loxapine, Pamelor, Neurontin, Lamictal, Ritalin, L-Methylfolate, Vistaril, Zyprexa, Seroquel IR and XR, Saphris, Latuda, Clozaril, Risperdal

#3 colorfullymad

colorfullymad

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

It didn't do anything for me.  Like, literally.  It didn't do anything good or bad.

#4 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

My pdoc raves about it. But he also starts at 20mg

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#5 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I love it, and haven't found it sedating at all.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#6 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I liked Latuda.  It mellowed me out and wasn't too sedating.  It was weight neutral, too, which was important for me while I was taking it.  However, it gave me terrible akathisia, so I eventually went off of it.

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#7 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I love it. It keeps me very stable and is fairly side effect free.

ETA, I started on 40mg. I pretty much normalized at 80mg. I was fairly stable to begin, though.

Edited by AnneMarie, 01 May 2013 - 10:30 PM.

Bipolar I and ADD

#8 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thanks everyone! 

I started tonight so we'll see what happens. 

I am not stable at all! I've been very unstable since August so I'm hoping for some relief soon! 

Becca 

"And I never thought I'd say, that I'm weaker today than I was yesterday..oh man
But I'll fight as I always fight with whats inside of me.. this warrior spirit inside of me" - Sully Erna Broken Road

#9 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Latuda didn't get me stable but it appears to be keeping me there. I had to take Zyprexa to get things under control. I started Latuda a couple of days after starting Zyprexa. I started on 40 mg Latuda for a week and then 80 mg for a week. I'm thinking I'll probably stay on 80 mg.  I came off of the Zyprexa about the same time I increased Latuda to 80 mg. So far, so good, although I keep Zyprexa in my purse at all times--just in case.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#10 meganhalley

meganhalley

Crazy IS my super power. What's yours?

• Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

I was on it for a good while.  I started at 40 (great! but I was still symptomatic), then I went to 80 (great for about 2 weeks, and then symptomatic).  At 120, I was like "oh sweet baby Jesus, get me out of this body!"  Horrible akathisia.  We went back down (after 2 hellacious weeks at 120), but it never went away. (And I don't know if that's just a weird thing just for me or what, but it seems like once I get a SE, it STAYS until I'm completely off it.)

When I was at 120, that was before the FDA had bumped up the dosing allowance, so it was kind of unheard of.  I think it's been approved for up to 160 since then.  My pdoc said she would never do it for a patient whom she didn't think needed it--80 was pretty much her limit, and she only had one other patient besides me that she went up to 120 with.

If at all possible, see how you feel at each dose, and do not go higher than you need to--especially if you find it activating for you.  Some people do just fine at 40.  Some people are perfect at 80.  I'm the only person I know that's gone higher than that.  I also used it as a monotherapy, so I have no idea about how it would react if you're going to start Depakote with it as well.  Good luck!

#11 dtac

dtac

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

After 3 weeks, my pdoc is keeping mine at 40 for a bit longer. He said there isn't a linear effectiveness with the drug and some studies have found 120 to be far worse (SE/effectiveness) than 80. Go figure.

dx: BP NOS (was BPII, pdoc is thinking of changing it to BPI)

rx: lithium (300mg AM, 600mg PM), wellbutrin XL 150mg, lamictal 50mg, klonopin 1-2mg PRN, ambien PRN sleep

failed rx: prozac, buspar, tranxene, remeron, depakote, gabapentin, risperdal, geodon, seroquel, restoril, latuda, saphris (fuck this drug), trileptal, effexor, valium, trazodone

Bipolar is the roller-coaster that you can't get off of.

#12 girlwiththefarawayeyes

girlwiththefarawayeyes

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I had Megan's "Get me outta this body!!" experience at 40mgs. Going back to 20mgs tonight. Still a little symptomatic at 20, but- wow- it is still a world of difference. I love this med, and I had given up on meds for a long time. I've had a lot of trouble with medications either doing jack-nothing or sending my anxiety level through the roof. The lower dose of latuda didn't do that. I don't feel suicidal. I feel here. There's a little bit of that "walkabout" feeling, but I'm like that anyway, so it's nothing I'm not used to.

At a lower dose, this has been a wonderful drug. At a higher dose- not so much.

I hope your experience with it is good. I wish this kind of med success on everyone.

Edited by girlwiththefarawayeyes, 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM.

...a little bleary and worse for wear and tear was a girl with faraway eyes...

Either major depressive disorder w/ADD or bipolar II. New pdoc votes MDD w/ADD...lots of ADD.

Trading Latuda for Lexapro and Seroquel, I guess. Keeping beloved Neurontin and Diet Coke.

#13 meganhalley

meganhalley

• Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes, the 20 mgs . . . when I was on it, my insurance wouldn't cover it, and the pharmacy had to order it.  No big deal with the ordering, but my insurance wouldn't cover it.  Turns out, they wouldn't cover any of the dosages.  So, I started at 40 because that's what my doctor had in samples.

#14 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well, Wedneday will put me a week in and I'm already feeling the inner restlessness, especially in my legs! It's actually quite terrible. I'd ask for cogentin but it's not covered under my insurance and right now I can't afford to pay anything out of pocket. I'm supposed to double my dose on Wednesday but not sure I'm going to be able to handle it. 

More mg's means more SE's, right?? 

Becca 

#15 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Man, that sucks. This has been such a good med for me. Sorry it's not working out for you.

In my experience, akathesia gets worse the higher the dose. I'd call your pdoc instead of increasing.

Bipolar I and ADD

#16 meganhalley

meganhalley

• Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, it got worse for me too at a higher level. My pdoc told me to take Benadryl, but that didn't cut it for me.

#17 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Tonight no restlessness so maybe, just maybe??? We'll see what happens! I have a call into my pdoc I won't up the dose without talking to him! 

Becca 

#18 Sjs

Sjs

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Heating pad and elevation helped my legs. BTW it went away after about 3 weeks.

DX BPII
Lamectic 300mg, Latuda 80mg, 100mcg Litothyronine

#19 girlwiththefarawayeyes

girlwiththefarawayeyes

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I went back down to 20mgs again, and I'm fine. 40 was too much.

I have some of that restless, but I'm like that anyway. I think what may be happening in my case is that, with the latuda doing its job stablizing mood, now I'm getting the ADD stuff seperated out. I can think my way through the ADD, though. I'll take this.

...a little bleary and worse for wear and tear was a girl with faraway eyes...

Either major depressive disorder w/ADD or bipolar II. New pdoc votes MDD w/ADD...lots of ADD.

Trading Latuda for Lexapro and Seroquel, I guess. Keeping beloved Neurontin and Diet Coke.

#20 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2686 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I take 80mg and I ent have any problems. I hope the restlessness goes away for good for you!
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.