• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Heylo,

I am currently taking 90mg/day Cymbalta for MDD, and 5-15mg/day Adderall for Inattentive ADD.

The Adderall helps get me going for the day, but for focus it is not much help (I don't tolerate higher doses of the drug, so I seem to be stuck with this inadequate low dose, because without it I am the Human Slug).

My pdoc will let me add Wellbutrin if I subtract Adderall (which I have been considering partly because I have libido issues with Cymbalta, and getting horny once in a while would be nice).

So, here's my question:
Can Wellbutrin really help with my type of ADD?  Has anyone had luck?  Am I barking up the wrong tree? 

Thanks,
Abby
Dx:   The Fever
Rx:    More Cowbell

#2 CyndyA

CyndyA

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

I've taken Wellbutrin for about 10 months now, and I've had mixed results:

For depression-- it works, and works well.
For libido issues--it works, and works well.
For alertness-----it works, and works well.
For concentration--not much
For focus-----------not much
For motivation-----not much

Those have been my results.  I do like Wellbutrin, but wish I had something else to help with the motivation and focus factors.  My doctor doesn't seem to want to prescribe 2 medications though, and I don't want to give up the Wellbutrin.  So-- I drink lots of coffee when I need to focus.  Not the best solution I know, but it seems to help.

I've often wondered if any of the over the counter stimulants might help like sudafed or something like that.  Anyone had any experience with those?

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13108 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

It really depends on what you're trying to do with your brain.  If you're working in a warehouse then coming home and watching TV, wellbutrin may be enough.

Otherwise, stims are likely the better bet.

That said, your adderal dose would be low for a six year old.  If you can't handle the side effects of higher doses, try a different stim. If for whaever reason you can't take more than the equivilant dose of that of any of the stims, wellbutrin or strattera would be worth a shot.

They are not mutualy exclusive btw.  I take both Wellbutrin and dexidrine.  The WB seems to help a bit more with motivation and impulsiveness, but for focus the stims work much better.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 TheNewFlesh

TheNewFlesh

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:22 AM

It's late and I'm roving the boards and I came across this post. 

From my personal experience, the combo of the WB and Adderall is the best, although if you have anxiety issues, a benzo, or more likely, SSRI, would be needed.  I take this combo and don't have too much of a problem.  If your doc still doesn't want to prescribe both, my suggestion is to get a beta-blocker, particularly Inderal.  It's an anti-hypertensive drug that is also great for tremors.  It basically, when taken at a low dose, gets rid of the jitters associated with higher levels of amphetamines, at least for me.  YMMV. The only contraindication of this drug combo is if you have severe asthma, as beta-blockers make it much harder for albuterol/pibuterol inhalers to do their jobs.  Just thought I'd butt in.

Hope this helps.
dX: ADD-Inattentive Subtype, PTSD, GAD, dysthmia w/ MDD (poss. BPSD), social phobia, PLMD w/ multiple arousals (>16), chronic insomnia (delayed sleep onset), asthma/allergies, and IBS w/constipation

Psych rX: Adderall IR 25-30 mg qam, Clonazepam 1.75 mg bid, Wellbutrin XL 300 mg qam, Sonata 20 mg prn, Mirapex 0.5 mg qpm, Remeron 7.5 mg qpm, lorazepam 1-2mg prn, propranolol 5 mg prn

Other rX: Zelnorm 6mg bid, Allegra 180mg qam, Singulair 10 mg qpm, Maxaire prn

"Long live the New Flesh!"

#5 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

I don't see any reason not to take Adderall AND Welbutrin. Welbutrin and a stim is a pretty common combination.

SUdafed can help focus, at least in the short term, but I think it drops me pretty hard when it wears off.

An antacid can give Adderall more bang, but I don't know what that much antacid will do to your digestion.
dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#6 herpie

herpie

uhh... erm... nevermind

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

What do you mean by wearing off? The post-stim crash or tolerance after a couple of doses?

#7 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:00 AM

The crash. Which I expect imminently. I don't take it often.
dx:
rx:

#8 Iris

Iris

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

My husband has taken Wellbutrin for years for his ADD, mostly b/c he has an addictive personality and can't take any of the others, save for Strattera which didn't come out until after he'd been on the Wellbutrin for a while.

I notice a marked difference in his behavior when he's taking the medicine regularly, and he seems to think it works well also. He tried the Wellbutrin XR but didn't like it. He sticks to regular Wellbutrin, but it's different for everyone.

Hope that helps!

#9 praxis

praxis

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

Ditto what Cyndy said about the WB (except the libido part-no change and i don't care much) I was put on WB instead of an SSRI partly b/c I have major concentration and organization problems, even though I don't have an ADD dx. I really can't say it's helping with those symptoms, but I have a much better energy level and I'm more alert. If your current meds aren't doing it for you, try something else. What have you got to lose?

#10 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

Seems to me that Welbutrin helps more with energy, Adderall with focus, though Adderall certainly helps with energy as well. And this stuff is hard to nail down.

I've heard that,  at least when monitored closely, addictive types do just fine on Adderall because they are getting what they need. I suppose if something else works well, tho, then why take a risk?
dx:
rx:

#11 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

I did the Adderall/Wellbutrin combo for about 9 months. I've been on Adderall for 7-8 years. I've somewhat recovered from a persistent depressive episode, but has left me with a serious lack of motivation and energy. I didn't find that the Wellbutrin helped much. I was also taking Cymbalta at the time.

I'm now on no antidepressants, but recently added Strattera. I still don't have anywhere near the level of energy/motivation that I used to, but there has been a noticeable improvement.

I was additionally surprised to discover that Strattera doesn't give me the jitters like Wellbutrin did. In fact, other than an even further decreased appetite, I haven't noticed any side effects. I'm currently at 25 mg (in addition to 10 mg immediate release Adderall and 20 mg XR). This has been the best combo for me so far.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#12 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:03 AM

Hi Sunshine,

Just occured to me that perhaps your energy may be lower than it might be due to not enough calories in your diet? Certainly I get less energetic when I'm hungry, despite excessively large on board calorie storage.

Perhaps you should get on the mailing lists of the better restaurants in town?

I'd offer to send you mouth watering descriptions of food every day, but it would be hazardous for me.

Even though I eat a lot in general, sometimes when I'm taking Adderall I forget to eat until about noon. On those mornings I don't move as fast, and when I do I don't make much progress. If I eat simple carbs, I have a sugar crash. If I have complex carbs, and a bit of protein, I don't do quite as badly.

BTW, my s.o. discovered today that 4 sausage patties and a cup of baked beans with maple syrup, though not likely to cause sugar crash, can cause trouble later in the day. And despite the fact that I outweighed another member of our party by maybe 85 lbs., and despite the fact that I was full, she ate about twice as much as I did.

Edited by ldo, 27 March 2006 - 02:03 AM.

dx:
rx:

#13 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

I haven't been dxed with ADD, but wellbutrin SR (300 mgs) seems to be
helping my focus and concentration.  I also have much more energy than
usual.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#14 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:38 PM

I took WB and it did NOTHING for me in terms of my ADD. Now I take Strattera and that's new, so we'll see. I'd like to go right to Adderall, but my pdoc wants to go with Strattera first. He just won't listen to me. I don't want to waste time. I already tried WB!
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#15 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

The only person I know face to face who has tried Strattera reported finding herself cleaning lampshades at 3AM. I don't recall anything like that reported by people on Welbutrin. I suspect there's a real difference. OTOH, it would only take a day or two to find out what Adderall would do for you, and it'll take a lot longer with Strattera. Perhaps the DEA is breathing down your doc's neck. I hear they can be real assholes about the stuff, even for legitimate prescribers. You might find yourself receiving a prescription for Ritalin first. Lots of good reports abou that stuff. Only took once myself but stayed alert and attentive through 3 consecutive hours of lectures.

BTW, I wonder what people think is best for memory problems. I have all sorts of things rattling around in my head which I can't retrieve at the right time, and also a lot of things which I just don't seem to get the first time. Names are the worst.  Adderall helps a lot but not all the way to normal. Not by a long shot.

Edited by ldo, 04 April 2006 - 06:22 PM.

dx:
rx:

#16 Guest_Jerid_*

Guest_Jerid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thing is guys, take every opinion with a grain of salt. Even a doctor isn't gonna know what's right for YOU. Every person reacts differently to different meds. So go slow and try each out until you find one that fits. Don't give up and stay positive. It's no exact science. Brain chemistry is a very new and complex field. Just feel lucky their are options.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.