waking frequently anxiety bad sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cern

Cern

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Well I've onyl just joined this site and so interested to find this many other people who can't sleep properly!

I don't know what is up with me but I haven't been able to fall asleep properly for as long as I can remember. I sleep very lightly and it takes me hours to fall asleep. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been feeling extremely anxious as I'm trying to fall asleep and keep thinking about bad things that could happen or the 'dangerous' situations I put myself in that day (for example driving my car) - this jerks me awake and my thoughts are racing.

Once I am finally asleep I almost always wake approx 30 minutes later and I'm wide awake not feeling tired atall. I go to the loo and try to rest again and finally drop off.

Throughout the night I wake approx 5 or 6 times and feel the need to empty my bladder before I can drop off again. This is so uncomfortable to have to keep getting up and out of bed as I have trapped nerves in both my lower back (for the last 7 years) and my neck (last 6 months).

When it comes round to 6 or 7am and I am woken I really feel like I'm in a deep sleep and getting some good rest and hate to be woken up - I don't feel refreshed atall and my eyes are so sore.

This is all quite serious to me and I'd like to try and find some help to sort it out.

On a more amusing note - I wear glasses during the day and take them off to sleep and when I wake during the night I can still see them round the sides of my eyes! This is a bit annoying and freaky (but still funny I suppose).

Any help or advice here?

#2 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4602 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

For me, my inability to sleep is linked to my childhood abuse. This is because I was far more likely to be hurt at night so I start to get really edgy. The abuse also gives me nightmares, so sleep is no respite.

Do you take anything to help you to sleep? It is worth mentioning to your care provider that you're having so much difficulty. Good sleep is fairly central to being able to live. How are you currently treating the anxiety? Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate that.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Rx: weekly injections of Standard Knowledge as needed

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#3 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20106 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Have you ever had a sleep study?

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#4 HAL9000

HAL9000

My mind is going. I can feel it....

• Pip
  • 503 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm going to sound like a Drug Rep but Ambien CR helps me.  Without it I can go all night staring at the ceiling.

"I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.  Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. "

About Me
Current Diagnosis / DX: Major depressive disorder, Anxiety -> PTSD, Insomnia
Meds: Bupropion SR(Wellbutrin SR®), Buspirone(BuSpar®), Zolpidem ER(Ambien CR®) and Diazepam(Valium®) as needed / PRN
ExMeds:Vistaril(Atarax), Citalopram (Celexa®), Trazadon

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20106 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

Ambien didn't help me; made things worse because I'd wake up off and on and in the morning remember absolutely nothing from the night before ... night eating, walking around ... etc.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#6 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2686 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I second Melissa's idea for a sleep study.

Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waking frequently, anxiety, bad sleep

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.