• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 saoirse

saoirse

"seer-sha"

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Edited by saoirse, 22 December 2013 - 08:29 PM.

dx's: Bipolar I w/ psychosis, anxiety
meds: 1500 mg trileptal, 600 mg lithium, 4 mg risperidone

"but i don't want to go among mad people," alice remarked.
"oh you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here. i'm mad. you're mad."
"how do you know i'm mad?" said alice.
"you must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#2 MrTastybutt

MrTastybutt

Lazy Ninja!

• Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't know.  It made me think of Jessie Spano.

Schizophenia

"More voices in her head than the Wu Tang Clan." - Christopher Titus

Previous:  Zoloft, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Bupropion, Paroxetine, St. John's Wort, SAM-e, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Fanapt, Tramadol, and others.

Current:  Levothyroxine SOD .2 MG, Carvedilol 3.125 MG x 2 daily, Effient 10 MG, 81 MG Aspirin, Onglyza 5mgs, Linosipril, and some others.  Vistaril and Buspar.  Tramadol 50 mg x 3 times daily for pain.

Now with Lantus!

#3 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I am sure it would mess up my brain.

Most people with BP 1 have to be very careful what we take.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#4 Parapluie

Parapluie

Cactus Grenade Girl

• Inmate
  • 2127 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'd say it's possible. I have fueled my hypomania with caffeine before, to get even higher (stupid, I know). 

You seem to tip easily into mania. For that reason, I would be careful with/avoid stimulants. 

My diagnoses and medication info can be found on my profile.

#5 CeremonyNewOrder

CeremonyNewOrder

Voices say I'm the shit

• Pip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

You also need to be careful with caffeine because caffeine will lower your lithium levels and thus it won't work properly

Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Disorder (bipolar type), Hypothyroidism, Sleep Apnea

Rx: Lithium 1800mg, Latuda 80mg, Effexor 75mg (weaning off), Klonopin 2-4mg, Risperdal 4mg, Lamictal 100mg, Levothyroxine 0.05mg

Past rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Wellbutrin,Tegretol, Depakote, Invega, Resperidone, Doxepin, Ativan, Valium, Haldol, Latuda, Clomipramine, Restoril, Remeron, Saphris

"This is the part of me that needs medication"-Modest Mouse

"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."-Leonard Cohen

#6 lanry78

lanry78

• Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

For me ? It starts by inducing hypo mania, then mania within 30 minutes .. spending money recklessly, laughing away serious problems etc. 

Next thing I know I enter full blown psychosis, many times with visual and auditory hallucinations. At best confusion, disorientation, and paranoia. It is not worth it for a quick pick me up any more lol ...

YMMV but I am VERY careful with caffeine consumption !! 

DX : MOSTLY MIXED STATE for period of 2 1/2 years now. Official DX : ULTRA RAPID CYCLING BP I with drug induced psychosis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just Got Out of 2nd Hospital Stay for 8 days on 8/5/13

Current Meds : 

300 MG - LAMICTAL - 1 X DAILY (AM) - Just sumped up 50 mg recently - think I will need to bump up to 400 to get where I need to be.

1 MG - KLONOPIN - 3 X DAILY (AM / 2 PM / BED TIME) - Helps With SEVERE Social Anxiety, Can Leave The House Again !

10 MG   - SAPPHRIS - 1 X DAILY (PM) - Helps and quite explain how. It's as if I can think a  little mroe clearly is the best way to put it. think 15 mg would help more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many changes to come I am sure .... I think this is about the 30th combo in the last year. Have been on as many as 6 meds at the same time.

I also periodically take topomax 25 mg, but have recently noticed it messes with my psychosis as well so I am trying to go without that. Pdoc of course says it is impossible to cause psychosis.

#7 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21732 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

I agree that caffeine might induce mania.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran,propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#8 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

I think it can absolutely. Way back before I was on meds or even knew what mania was, I would guzzle coffee all day and night to keep the natural high I felt going at full throttle. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#9 Frenetic47

Frenetic47

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

copious amounts of caffeine can keep you awake and up at night. which means............... lack of sleep!  Lack of sleep is more likely to contribute to mania than caffeine. probably not good for your heart rate if you are on a beta blocker or something like Xanax as well.

This Week's Cocktail...

Lithium 1350 mg

Seroquel 500 mg

Depakote 1000 mg

Xanax 1.0 ER

Xanax .5 IR   PRN

Propranolol 60mg ER for anxiety/ migraines

Levothyroxine  112 mcg for hypothyroidism

Dx: Bipolar NOS - mixed, rapid cycling. anxiety disorder, migraines, hypothyroidism.

#10 saoirse

saoirse

"seer-sha"

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

I'd say it's possible. I have fueled my hypomania with caffeine before, to get even higher (stupid, I know). 

You seem to tip easily into mania. For that reason, I would be careful with/avoid stimulants.

That's the funny thing... I always have told myself that I'm not easily tipped into mania, but whoa, I think that was denial on my part. Because in this past year alone I've been manic a handful of times. I was never really a "rapid cycler" before, I don't think. I wonder if my illness is getting worse.

I seem to have classic euphoric manias for the most part, other than that caffeine pill debacle. Maybe the fact that my manias always seem so enjoyable (at first) made me look away from the implications of it all. I used to become hypomanic/manic only very rarely.
dx's: Bipolar I w/ psychosis, anxiety
meds: 1500 mg trileptal, 600 mg lithium, 4 mg risperidone

"but i don't want to go among mad people," alice remarked.
"oh you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here. i'm mad. you're mad."
"how do you know i'm mad?" said alice.
"you must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#11 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9384 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I overdosed on caffeine pills once in college: I had a midterm that I was sooooo not prepared for, so I was trying to just get a couple of hours of sleep a day for a few days. But then I couldn't even take the midterm, because I had made myself sick on caffeine. The Dr. actually told me a lot of students came in at midterms and finals with caffeine overdoses. I was already fairly depressed, so I was definitely not tipping.

I can get away with normal caffeine consumption. In college I took pill after pill after pill, way more than what I drink per day.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#12 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

copious amounts of caffeine can keep you awake and up at night. which means............... lack of sleep!  Lack of sleep is more likely to contribute to mania than caffeine. probably not good for your heart rate if you are on a beta blocker or something like Xanax as well.

I'd say something along these lines would be more accurate. IMO I don't really think a caffeine high is the same thing as mania. Although I know that they can feel very similar. Caffeine highs can feel just like mania or very similar too it. The hyperactivity, talking fast, fast heartbeat, not sleeping, feeling jittery or bouncy, doing a million things at once, energy to do anything and everything. I think caffeine OD or high can mimic mania to a point.

Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#13 Furious George

Furious George

• Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

t

Edited by Furious George, 15 August 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#14 Cowdog

Cowdog

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Oh, I messed myself up on caffeine pills, but good, in college once, they were AWFUL...couldn't sleep, but couldn't function to stay up to study, just cried in bed till I had to go take my exam...I am BP2 fwiw, used to take "good" speed" to stay up after my bipolar/insomnia had played out (good for about 2 nights up) ran out of that stuff, so, I tried caffeine pills...ugh, it was AWFULL!!!!

#15 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

I too say it's the lack of sleep that can kick off a hypo/mania, not so much being high on caffeine. That's not to say that caffeine pills can't make you wired. They can. Taking a lot of them sent my mind racing away but my skin crawled, too, which is a special wired on drugs feeling and not something that happens when hypo/manic.

Edited by AnneMarie, 12 August 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Bipolar I and ADD

#16 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Lack of sleep tends to push me into mania if I'm on the edge of it. And I have had weird experiences with excessive caffeine-hallucinations for one. And dark thoughts and feeling out of control.

Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.― Dorothy Neddermyer

You yourself, as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.-Buddha

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.-Albert Einstein

Bipolar 1, OCD, GAD, PTSD, ADHD, peroneal neuropathy, in recovery (sobriety date 12/7/09)

Abilify, Prazosin, Trileptal, Zoloft, Vyvanse, and Trazodone

#17 Courage wolf

Courage wolf

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

I always have to stay away from coffee and energy drinks when im hypomanic because they send me into a full blown psychosis. caffeine also makes me very unstable, however tea doesn't affect me much though its still probably not a good idea to drink it. i can start having full blown hallucinations after only a single cup of coffee.

Edited by Courage wolf, 25 August 2013 - 05:06 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mixed state

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.