Photo
- - - - -

Accidentally took 600 mg of Wellbutrin... am I going to die?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1595 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I am taking a script for 300 mg of wellbutrin but I accidentally took two pills today (forgot that I had already taken it this morning.)  Should I be worried?  Do I need to call my doctor?  

Edited by koakua, 21 August 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#2 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5304 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

You certainly could call your doc or pharmacist or even poison control to see what they advise.

Just so you know what to expect.

I doubt you will die.

You probably don't need to worry.

You could probably find out whether you need to worry by calling your doc, pharmacist, or poison control.

Those mornings suck.

Take care!

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#3 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2563 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yes I agree. Call your dr, pharmacist, or poison control. Those are all good suggestions.

I'm sure you will be fine, but it doesn't hurt to call a professional (if anything just for peace of mind).

Keep us posted!

Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 150mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#4 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I agree with everything that has been said. If your worried it's best to call those people rather we are limited to what we can do.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 225 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg....Zoloft 200 mg...Valporic acid 250 mg... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 25 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#5 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

In the original clinical trials for Wellbutrin, they tested the 600mg dose and found that it was effective, but significantly lowered the seizure threshold so they lowered the max dose to 450mg. Unless you're taking other medications that effect the seizure threshold or have a seizure disorder, you should be okay. 

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 60mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#6 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1595 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

In the original clinical trials for Wellbutrin, they tested the 600mg dose and found that it was effective, but significantly lowered the seizure threshold so they lowered the max dose to 450mg. Unless you're taking other medications that effect the seizure threshold or have a seizure disorder, you should be okay. 

Thanks!  I am going to avoid caffeine and alcohol today as a precaution for seizures.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#7 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10355 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think that's a good idea---to avoid alcohol and caffeine today.

I also wonder if maybe you need pill boxes with the days of the week.  I would never remember what I've taken without my boxes.  They're very cheap and available at all of the pharmacies. :)

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life's important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”
― Fred Rogers

#8 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17938 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

This has happened to me before also.  I got a terrible headache and I did not die; but you can call someone if you want to be on the safe side.  I agree to avoid the caffeine and alcohol.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#9 Jargali

Jargali

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Lol you'll be fine.

Expect to have problems sleeping and some jitters though.

#10 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8617 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

I was bumped to 600mg once, and I had mild hallucinations. My pdoc wasn't worried about any innate toxicity at 600mg, although of course we backed off to 450mg once the hallucinations started.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.