• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

I'm having a freak out about school. I made a major life change a few months ago & decided to not return to the workforce and go back to school. I lost my job (that I loved but was stressed out about) in May b/c of MI problems.

I have gone to school off and on over the years and this is my first time back in 7 years.

I dropped out and withdrew from classes frequently due to my manias, depressions, GAD, and substance abuse. This time around I am sober, medicated, sticking with therapy, and educated about my MI. I'm having self doubt about whether or not I can really do this. I'm so afraid of failure and am experiencing a lot of anxiety b/c of all of the pressure that I am putting on myself.

Pressure about success, and feeling I can't succeed b/c of my MI. Feeling like I am not good enough. I feel like I am letting the fact that I am mentally ill get to me and bring me down.  Looking at it as a weakness instead of remembering how strong I am b/c of my experiences with it and by overcoming so many obstacles to get to where I am at now.

When my anxiety gets high in situations like this I tend to stagnate...which makes me fall behind...self sabotage occurs.

Anyone else experience anything similar to this?

I take Klonopin PRN btw for anxiety.

Edited by Jaytea, 06 September 2013 - 04:10 AM.

Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.― Dorothy Neddermyer

You yourself, as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.-Buddha

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.-Albert Einstein

Bipolar 1, OCD, GAD, PTSD, ADHD, peroneal neuropathy, in recovery (sobriety date 12/7/09)

Abilify, Prazosin, Trileptal, Zoloft, Vyvanse, and Trazodone

#2 sixteenshells

sixteenshells

Girl Anachronism

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

All the time.  I'm in the middle of it right now, which is why my reply is brief.  I'm too caught up in it to say much right now, but yes.  All of that.

Current diagnosis: Mood disorder NOS, social phobia, agoraphobia, OCD, PTSD.

Current meds: Klonopin, Prozac, Adderall, Prazosin.

Previous meds: Celexa, Cymbalta, Tegretol, Seroquel, Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Abilify.

#3 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3818 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

A tdoc I see through group therapy said, "there is no way around, over or under fear...there is only through".  Anxiety is so hard to push through, but every time you do it, you become a little stronger.  And the next time you have to do it, you can remind yourself that you've done it before.  I just take things one step at a time and try not to let my mind get too far ahead of me.  

It sounds like you're set up to succeed in school.  Believe in yourself.  You can do it.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#4 glasssss999

glasssss999

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

You may actually have a chance to enjoy this time round in school if you can just give yourself a chance.

You clearly enjoy learning as you keep coming back to it and as an adult student back in charge of your life

you have a terrific advantage.  

Learning to enjoy ourselves is so hard when all of our previous experiences have been poisoned by anxiety.

Keep the meds up and use whatever you need to keep actively enjoying the learning ... there is a fun element

possible here that you need to risk experiencing.                                Good Luck

#5 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for your replies, I feel a better after reading them. I'm glad you brought up fear, Phoenix. It reminds me that in AA "fear" stands for Face Everything And Recover. And that's what I need to do. And, glassss999, going to school IS more fun and interesting the second time around. I'm not going to love every class that I take but I can keep my goal of becoming a therapist in mind and power through those challenging classes. And I AM stronger from powering through anxiety in the past. I'm going to set up a mtg with a psych advisor at the university I'll be returning to in the spring and get some of my questions answered. (Right now I'm taking a full coarseload at the local CC)

Thanks for listening!!

Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.― Dorothy Neddermyer

You yourself, as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.-Buddha

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.-Albert Einstein

Bipolar 1, OCD, GAD, PTSD, ADHD, peroneal neuropathy, in recovery (sobriety date 12/7/09)

#6 NeonGhost

NeonGhost

Just Your Average Misanthrope

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I could've written this myself. My story is very similar! In and out of school and jobs, etc. Not as far along in 'life' (as societal pressures would dictate, at any rate) as I'd like to be at this point in time because of years of anxiety and its counterparts and substance addiction, but afraid to give things a try now for fear of failure. I understand feeling like you shouldn't try because it could fail, but it's easier to take the high road and not do it, then you don't run the risk at all. But I end up feeling guilty that I didn't try. I have been pushing myself to get out there and do the simple things that I really feel awkward about doing, like making that one phone call I've been dreading, seeing that person I don't particularly care to see, filling out that application I'm worried won't even be looked at--trying to get out of my comfort zone and stop believing that these people are all against me and want to tell me no or reject me. The hardest part has been realizing that sometimes I'm still not going to get the result I want. Or it still might be uncomfortable. But I always feel better for trying, it does make me proud of myself. I try to remember that feeling when the urge to run away from another challenge comes along.

At the very worst, though, I'll procrastinate on something that worries me to the point where the stress is overwhelming. It becomes that huge weight on my shoulders screaming, 'YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!!' It becomes more and more ominous the longer I put it off. I really need to learn how to overcome this.

Anyway, sorry about rambling. In short, you're definitely not alone, and I'd love to talk to you more about all of this!

#7 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2966 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Good luck jaytea! I know you can do it. I like the points that the others raised as well. You have set yourself up for success now and I just feel that you will excel in school.
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 200mg (titrating down), latuda 80mg (titrating up)

#8 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm the master of procrastination-have been since I was a kid. I just called my pdoc and left a msg to call me back to discuss Buspar. She gave her cell # a while back & will call back soon unless she is out of town. It has been recommended to me a few times and I think I should try it. I don't want to spend the entire semester being so anxious that I can't function, which is how i feel right now.

Thank you for the well wishes & support!

#9 NeonGhost

NeonGhost

Just Your Average Misanthrope

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

No problem :)

Buspar? I've heard about it, but I didn't know it was for anxiety! I've been needing another option to look into since benzos like Klonopin and Ativan aren't readily given out anymore (even to people like us who actually need that kind of drug!), and Paxil did the opposite of what it was supposed to and made me even more stressed out! I realized anti-depressants don't work for me because depression isn't my problem. It's anxiety. It's trying to convince the p-docs of this!

Let me know how it goes if you try it out.

#10 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9569 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Is Buspar used for something other than anxiety?

ETA: Actually, Paxil is an SSRI, which *is* anti-depressants, but SSRIs are also frequently used for anxiety alone. Just so you know, if one SSRI doesn't work that doesn't mean they all won't work.

Edited by crtclms, 07 September 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#11 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think it's just used for anxiety. My tdoc has suggested it to me a few times. Right now I take Klonopin PRN but find myself taking it more than I'd like to.

#12 MrTastybutt

MrTastybutt

Lazy Ninja!

• Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I take Vistaril and Buspar as a combo for anxiety.  It seems to help me.  I've also been on Celexa for anxiety and it helped, Paxil not so much.  Some it works for them, others no.

Schizophenia

"More voices in her head than the Wu Tang Clan." - Christopher Titus

Previous:  Zoloft, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Bupropion, Paroxetine, St. John's Wort, SAM-e, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Fanapt, Tramadol, and others.

Current:  Levothyroxine SOD .2 MG, Carvedilol 3.125 MG x 2 daily, Effient 10 MG, 81 MG Aspirin, Onglyza 5mgs, Linosipril, and some others.  Vistaril and Buspar.  Tramadol 50 mg x 3 times daily for pain.

Now with Lantus!

#13 Jaytea

Jaytea

Jt

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

I used to take Celexa but stopped b/c we were reducing the number of meds I take (I was taking 9) and i wanted my libido back. Bu then I fell into a depression so we tried Wellbutrin and now we're trying Zoloft. My depression has lifted but anxiety is bad again. I'll ask her about Vistaril, too. Thanks!

#14 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2966 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Jaytea I hope the Zoloft will help your anxiety. It can help with anxiety issues as well as depressive ones.
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 200mg (titrating down), latuda 80mg (titrating up)

#15 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

I hope that once you start seeing your success at school, it will give you something to hold to when that anxiety kicks in, it sounds like you kinda already know that some of the stories that anxiety is telling are not true. Which, in itself, is massive.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.