Meth psychosis. A month later.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteFemale

WhiteFemale

• Pip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

I still have these intrusive delusional thoughts and the occasional hallucinations. At times in a mania, I can experience psychosis. But this is definitely different. My mind will race about these horrible thoughts of conspiracies and such. I don't know if it's permanent. And insurance issues and being unmedicated for 4 days only made it worse to the point of panic attacks and seclusion. Anyone have experience with meth psychosis? Been sober for a month and still crumbling. At times, I can recognize that it's a delusion or a conspiracy theory. But it doesn't stop my mind from going on and on about it until I start freaking out because I can't shut it up.

Dx: Bipolar, BPD, Depersonalization Disorder, Chronic Insomnia, GAD, etc.

Rx: Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, Trazodone, Omeprazole, Nuvaring.

#2 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1135 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Recovered from a seven month meth psychosis.....All I can say is stay away from any drug that is illegal. Pot fires mine up for a little while. While meth at first may seem okay, it really draws more out and in a more impactful way....I don't want to go into themes of paranoia as that could trigger you.......I mean your going to have to lay off the meth for good......There is no reason in this world to destroy yourself like that......There is no telling how long it will last and if the medication will help it.....I know I go thru residue voices but like you I have BP and this combo seemed to throw both of us for a loop.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#3 WhiteFemale

WhiteFemale

• Pip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Meth is terrible. it will eat me alive. If marijuana becomes legalized I will consider using it again, but not the way I did in the past.

#4 ScrambleHead

ScrambleHead

Nuttiest Nut competitor 2012

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I had speed psychosis, dextro instead of meth amphetamine, I hallucinated while on the drug without sleep once, and I had a single simple delusion which subsided by the time I quit, I also had cognitive impairment.

Your brains dopamine system will take about 9 months to recover from meth, I strongly advise you take fish oil, this helped me a lot, you should also try exercise  because you might become physically depressed due to previously being on a strong stimulant.

A month really isnt very long to recover from psychosis, as long as your APs are working you should recover from acute psychosis in 2-3 months thats how long it took me from steroid induced psychosis.

I dont know what your meds are but you might want to consider wellbutrin and an SSRI as welbutrin will help your dopamine system and the SSRI along with exercise will help your brain recover from the damage of amphetamines.

My psychiatrist says I should consider myself alergic to stimulants, apparently not everyone gets psychosis with heavy use, so I am switching to opiates for recreational use.

Edited by ScrambleHead, 16 October 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Dx's: Agoraphobia, OCD, GAD w/ somatization, panic attacks, Cluster B, PTSD traits, AvPD. Drug induced Schizophrenia.
200mg 50mg Zoloft :loved: will start prozac or effexor.
Risperidone 2mg <_< tapering to 1mg

Wishlist: Dexedrine please.

#5 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4304 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

My psychiatrist says I should consider myself alergic to stimulants, apparently not everyone gets psychosis with heavy use, so I am switching to opiates for recreational use.

No. No. No. If you want to fry your brain with opiates, go right ahead. Do not discuss it here. Clear?

Oh, and it's people like you, who are using opiates as recreational drugs, that are making it hard on those of us who need them to make it through the day. There is NO circumstance where opiates should be used other than as directed by your doctor.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#6 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

I had meth psychosis, too. To me, the fact that when I didn't do meth, the delusions were still there, proved them to be true. It was an unpleasant time in my life. They delusions went away slowly. It took a long time. They gradually became less intense. I believe that is normal. I still have some sort of paranoia that I experience. It may be a social anxiety thing or it may be that same paranoia still there. My pdoc said it was an anxiety thing. But I can't say I had it before the meth psychosis. I don't know. I hope it's not permanent. 

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#7 mellifluous

mellifluous

• Pip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

Meth is terrible. it will eat me alive. If marijuana becomes legalized I will consider using it again, but not the way I did in the past.

if you're prone to having psychotic breaks i would strongly advise against smoking grass given it is a hallucinogen...

#8 WhiteFemale

WhiteFemale

• Pip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I had meth psychosis, too. To me, the fact that when I didn't do meth, the delusions were still there, proved them to be true. It was an unpleasant time in my life. They delusions went away slowly. It took a long time. They gradually became less intense. I believe that is normal. I still have some sort of paranoia that I experience. It may be a social anxiety thing or it may be that same paranoia still there. My pdoc said it was an anxiety thing. But I can't say I had it before the meth psychosis. I don't know. I hope it's not permanent. 

I hope it's not permanent, too. I have terrible anxiety and thanks to meth, even sober, it's even worse. I feel like a shut in.

if you're prone to having psychotic breaks i would strongly advise against smoking grass given it is a hallucinogen...

Marijuana is not a hallucinogen at all. It's true that in certain individuals it can cause psychosis. It's true that some people may hallucinate given they have a predisposition. So many people are ill educated when it comes to drugs. "psychoactive drugpsychopharmaceutical, or psychotropic is a chemical substance that crosses the blood–brain barrier and acts primarily upon the central nervous system where it affects brain function, resulting in alterations in perceptionmoodconsciousnesscognition, and behavior.[1] These substances may be used recreationally, to purposefully alter one's consciousness, or as entheogens, for ritual, spiritual, and/orshamanic purposes, as a tool for studying or augmenting the mind. Many psychoactive drugs have therapeutic utility, e.g., as anesthetics,analgesics, or for the treatment of psychiatric disorders."

Marijuana is a psychoactive drug, not a hallucinogen. I am not "prone" as you said to psychotic breaks. I didn't sleep for 15 days. I starved my body. And I ate a shitton of meth when I was already spun. Your body can't run on air. It needs sleep. It needs food. And it definitely doesn't need meth. I had a psychotic break, as I called it, due to my body and brain completely lacking any form of rest or nutrition on top of using a strong stimulant which made it that much more intense. 

#9 mellifluous

mellifluous

• Pip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Dood. It's in the hallucinogenic class of substances.
You're the uneducated one
At leaat educate yourself, dipshit, before you go shooting off snarks that show you're no expert

EDIT: http://en.m.wikipedi...Cannabis_(drug)
Read "psychoactive class"

Edited by mellifluous, 20 October 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#10 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4905 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Firstly, melli is right. Weed is classed as a hallucinogen and it can cause hallucinations in susceptible people.

Secondly, I have to say that when I stopped using meth I was paranoid for about six or nine months. I don't think I was ever psychotic, but I was wildly paranoid about everything. It did go away eventually, but the time is better measured in years than in months.

You can learn coping skills, like reality checking the conspiracy theories. If you think about it, though, it took you a while to get to this point, right? You used for longer than a month. So it will take longer than a month for things to undo themselves.

Finally, ScrambleHead, as someone with a predilection to opiates, I would say don't do them recreationally. You'll claw your skin off from the itchiness, or plug up your intestines. But, as downers, they really won't speed up your metabolism any which seems to be the goal of some of your other posts.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres. Oh look! I made a Thing!

Rx: twice-weekly injections of Standard Knowledge

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders, self-injury, chat

#11 mellifluous

mellifluous

• Pip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

With you're whole quoting me as saying you're prone to psychosis
I realize you just don't realize how that works

The single biggest predictor of having a future psychotic break/psychosis is that you've had one before
Having ever had one means you're "statistically prone"
to psychosis

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
But *you* said you had a psychotic break/symptoms of psychosis, so unless your lying or exaggerating, you are now prone to psychosis

#12 ScrambleHead

ScrambleHead

Nuttiest Nut competitor 2012

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

I couldnt get endone anyway, I am just gonna stick to exercise.

And I second that pot is an hallucinogenic class of drug.

Dx's: Agoraphobia, OCD, GAD w/ somatization, panic attacks, Cluster B, PTSD traits, AvPD. Drug induced Schizophrenia.
200mg 50mg Zoloft :loved: will start prozac or effexor.
Risperidone 2mg <_< tapering to 1mg

Wishlist: Dexedrine please.

#13 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1135 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

If you had any psychosis that was like mine. Pot is a bad idea......Pot is a bad idea period but I didn't get the luxury of knowing I was one month into remission.....It just kinda happened almost the same speed the psychosis hit.....Trust me...I did pot for 9 months after my psychosis and even then I still thought someone cast a spell on me so they could get my gf at the time......I started to get psychotic again so I stopped everything and a lot of what I was going thru cleared up but I was still very delusional.......Since you have already had a break from reality. Then anything can trigger you back into it.....I just never want to fear that cannibals and zombies are after me and there going to chop me up and eat me.......When your psychosis is that traumatic and went on for seven months even after abstaining from drugs Then your eye's will be opened to the limitations our minds have.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.