Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

• Please log in to reply
1255 replies to this topic

#481 whisperingwildflower

whisperingwildflower

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Worsening anxiety is one of the most prominent side effects I've had. Experiencing it right now, actually. I'm in the same boat as you :)

#482 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

ssri AUGMENTATION

The usual suspects: lithium, thyroid hormone

OTC: Zinc, Na butyrate, NAC

Zinc: mentioned in a previous post

NAC: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16374600

Butyrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16945350

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21812623

Can't find the particular study where it was used in combo w/ssri, still love it. meh.

Theoretically also chamomile extract via NK1 antagonism (I think), but good luck as it is probably only a weak and transient antagonist. NK1 antagonists have been show to augment SSRIs in some studies.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 26 March 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#483 Bville Girl

Bville Girl

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm sorry you're having anxiety issues too. Hopefully it will soon pass for us both! :)

#484 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Brick so far makes me more lethargic, somewhat lacking in motivation / initiative more so than usual. I hope the lethargy dampens with time. Still willing to give it a full trial. So far it is looking 50-50. Pros side effects not as bad as most SSRIs. Cons it doesn't seem to be helping yet, and causes an increase in daytime lethargy.

#485 wildradishes

wildradishes

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

I too have anxiety. going on 3rd week. staying at 5 mgs for now since i wigged out on 10mg. i'm going to try a few weeks longer. The good - definitely feel more clearheaded and focused. the bad - anxiety, waves of hysteria, sleepiness, insomnia and weight gain. i think i will need to augment this soon. maybe ssri? anyone try. i offset the fatigue w adderall. I told my pdoc today that this med is cold,cerebral, i need that but also some warmth, feel better something. I'm able to work but have no joy. My self esteem is still in the toilet. Don't remember last time i thought i wasn't a waste. ugh. Like casting couch, its about 50-50. feel like i'm still waiting for the med that targets my brains defiency.

#486 KrazyKris

KrazyKris

WinnersNeverQuit

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

I'm new here and have read all your posts…So much awesome honest advise and compassion……I'm so glad I found your site...

I've been on Brintelix 2 weeks…5mg for a week…10mg a week…I am so tired & cranky all the time…dizzy…brain foggy…Really hard to concentrate and finish paperwork…Seems it takes me twice as long to get anything done...

I do take 2 10mg of Dextroamphetamne pills to get a little energy…I even put them by my nightstand so I can get up in the morning !!!

I feel a lot like whisperingflower…with the anxiety…off balance and out of breath...

Are some of you feeling any more social…happier…more energetic..less anxious yet?  I sure HOPE SO !!!!!!

I too have been on almost everything as well…Still taking 400 mg of Lamictal at night...

#487 wildradishes

wildradishes

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hi Krazy Kris, Im having the same experience as you, as others. ON my 3rd week. Hoping for improvement. We'll see.

#488 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Are some of you feeling any more social…happier…more energetic..less anxious yet? I sure HOPE SO !!!!!!

Yes!! Hi KrazyKris, I am one of the success stories. I was on 10 mg for 2 weeks, and have been on 20 mg for 9-10weeks (3 mos total). I felt depression improvement around 2 weeks, but didn't feel anxiety improvement until about 6 weeks, more at 8 weeks, and even more at 10 weeks. But I also dosed up pretty quickly, mainly due to lack of side effects. For me, this was the easist AD I have ever taken. SSRIs always made me feel like you are feeling (totally dazed, groggy, in a fog). Looking back, how are your side effects on Brintellix comparing to those you had when starting other ADs?

I also am taking nothing else except 2 mg diazapam at night, which I plan to taper completely off. So could your other medications be contributing to your anxiety or grogginess? Have you discontinued anything that you could be feeling withdrawals from? I have had a spike in anxiety every time I have cut my diazapam dose. I wonder if the drug you are taking for energy could be contributing to your anxiety?

Regardless, I think you should hang in there and give this more time. My pdoc did tell me that it works on depression quicker than anxiety, and for me this was spot on.

Edited by Katygirl, 27 March 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#489 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Katygirl, can you describe the way in which you first detected Bricktellix 'working' in beneficial way?

1) Manner of onset: Was it an all-of-a-sudden eureka! moment OR did it noticeably start up gradually?

2) Nature of the 'Bricktellix effect': Is the benefit more cerebral in that you remember more of the positive things in your life and process information in a more positive manner OR is the benefit more like waves of 'feel-good' coming from nowhere?

Thanks katy

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 27 March 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#490 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Katygirl, can you describe the way in which you first detected Bricktellix 'working' in beneficial way?

1) Manner of onset: Was it an all-of-a-sudden eureka! moment OR did it noticeably start up gradually?

2) Nature of the 'Bricktellix effect': Is the benefit more cerebral in that you remember more of the positive things in your life and process information in a more positive manner OR is the benefit more like waves of 'feel-good' coming from nowhere?

Thanks katy

1. It was gradual. At my 2 week followup after first starting the B, my pdoc gave me the depression measurement quiz again. My score had dropped from 20-something to 12. So I knew then that it was working. After that, I noticed my mood lifting, laughing more, wanting to do more social things, not being so grumpy at work. And feeling a lot more motivated to workout, get chores done around the house, etc. around 6-8 weeks, I noticed I could breathe deeply again, and my husband and coworkers weren't irritating me as much anymore - that's how I knew my anxiety was lessening. I also am not nearly as agro when driving as I previously had been.
2. I think both. The first one for sure, snd the second one, I have mentioned previously that I get these moments of amazing happiness that I almost don't ever remember having before. I've now noticed that they tend to be weather related - the sunny days seem to be when this happens more, which is why I try to be outdoors and get as much sunshine as I can.
Regarding overall memory - i tend to have a really good long term memory, and recall of events, but I was forever walking into a room and forgetting why I had gone in there, turning my chair at work and forgetting what I was going to do, etc. i only just realized right now that this has greatly diminished. So thanks for getting me to think about and articulate this. :-)

#491 SleeplessinNY

SleeplessinNY

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

My mood is definitely lighter on Brintellix. I no longer feel like I'm under that fogbank of depression. I've felt more like "myself," for the first time in ages. I feel like i can express myself better; I can interact with others better; I'm laughing and smiling again. But it's not perfect. I've noticed that anxiety will sometimes rise up out of nowhere and somewhat overwhelm me. It doesn't always last a long time, but it's there. It doesn't rise to the level of "panic attack," but it's unnerving. I've also kept a dull headache for some time. 

I follow up with my new psychiatrist tomorrow.

Hang in there, everyone. You're all in my thoughts. 

#492 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Katygirl & Sleepless, thanks for answering, I am happy that Brintellix works for at least a % of people that take it.

ssri AUGMENTATION

The usual suspects: lithium, thyroid hormone

OTC: Zinc, Na butyrate, NAC

Zinc: mentioned in a previous post

NAC: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16374600

Butyrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16945350

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21812623

Can't find the particular study where it was used in combo w/ssri, still love it. meh.

Theoretically also chamomile extract via NK1 antagonism (I think), but good luck as it is probably only a weak and transient antagonist. NK1 antagonists have been show to augment SSRIs in some studies.

To clear up possible misunderstanding:

^^Potentially augment your Brintellix (a SSRI w/novel mechanisms) with^^

Never combine Brintellix w/other SSRIs, tricyclics or monoamine oxidase inhibitors w/out your doctor's approval. Be wary of combining a curcumin supplement with it too. Just be aware that curcumin is a MAOI. Check or call the Brintellix website for a list of drugs to avoid while taking Brintellix. Avoid serotonin syndrome, etc.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 27 March 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#493 ADNewbie

ADNewbie

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I quit taking Brintellix on Monday due to nausea, etc after only 5 days on 5 mg. I didn't think it was doing much for such a short time but have to say that today I feel that heavy feeling creeping back in and just maybe it actually was doing something for my mood. I am considering re-starting after the weekend (company will be gone) and I can let the tummy roll as needed! Also think I will go ahead and start on 10 mg to get it over with sooner. By the way, the people saying they are eating more, could that just be to settle the tummy or tame the jitters?      

#494 Blue Toad

Blue Toad

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

I haven't noticed any change in my appetite.  My mood is a little better and I can sleep much better than before.  The only thing I don't like is the daytime sleepiness/lethargy, which makes it harder to get things done.   I'm noticing I need less clonazepam, though.  

#495 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

. By the way, the people saying they are eating more, could that just be to settle the tummy or tame the jitters?

For me, yes to both. I purposely ate more initially because I thought it would prevent the nausea, and my pdoc had told me to take it with my biggest meal of the day for the best chances of avoiding nausea. I think it helped, because I only had very mild nausea a few times.

I am also a stress eater. And I think I've been eating more because of tapering my benzos. I don't seem to get full as quickly as I did before the B, so I am eating larger portions than previously. The weird thing though, is I'm craving healthy foods - junk just doesn't taste good to me. So overall, I am feeling pretty good nutrition-wise. I also have a pretty fast metabolism, so I think my extra activity has fired up my metabolism as well.

Edited by Katygirl, 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#496 SleeplessinNY

SleeplessinNY

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

This was true for me. I've not noticed an increase in appetite with Brintellix, but I was conscious of have a fair amount of food in my stomach before taking the drug. 

By the way, the people saying they are eating more, could that just be to settle the tummy or tame the jitters?      

#497 StephanieF83

StephanieF83

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I've officially been on 10 mg's for a week today and I am definitely thinking more clearly now. The only thing I notice is my anger is back. I get angered very easily now. When I was on Pristiq, I couldn't even cry, let alone get angry but my brain was also fogged too. Would it be silly of me to ask for something for my nerves? Cuz so far I really like this med. Just don't like how angry I get. :( 

#498 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Your photo doesn't make you look angry. I could be easily fooled but by the photo you would seem to be very happy in person. I can't even convince my hamster to smile for a photograph. Hamsters are very photophobic and nocturnal.

Thankfully my Bricktellix sedation is somewhat lesser today than yesterday, I sincerely hope this trend continues!

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 27 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#499 wildradishes

wildradishes

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

My experience is that Brin isn't helping. I'm going to quit after I speak w my pdoc tomorrow. I'm not feeling anything like Katygirl. I miss the small happinesses i used to have. I don't like being around people and feel very raw. I see that many of you are getting better so that's why i've hung in for 3 weeks but i'm just so so miserable, starting to have suicidal thoughts again. I called my pdoc for another appt. Problem is that i've tried so many things that i fear there's not a remedy for me. oh well. And i know why noone here responds to me is because i'm such a loser. Old and in the way, that's the way i feel. I'm drowning in self pity and self hatred. ugh.

#500 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

My experience is that Brin isn't helping. I'm going to quit after I speak w my pdoc tomorrow. I'm not feeling anything like Katygirl. I miss the small happinesses i used to have. I don't like being around people and feel very raw. I see that many of you are getting better so that's why i've hung in for 3 weeks but i'm just so so miserable, starting to have suicidal thoughts again. I called my pdoc for another appt. Problem is that i've tried so many things that i fear there's not a remedy for me. oh well. And i know why noone here responds to me is because i'm such a loser. Old and in the way, that's the way i feel. I'm drowning in self pity and self hatred. ugh.

Nah, no one here said that. I don't think anyone here is ignoring anyone. Most likely ppl missed your post, it happens all the time to everyone. Heck I dont even remember my own posts.

Brintellix seems to require at least 4-6 weeks at the effective dose (which seems to be 20mg). I'm hanging on bc I notice the side effects (even the lethargy) decrease with time. So if there is the slightest chance Brintellix is going to help at least I'll know for certain.

So far I have the vague suspicion that I am waking up a bit more alert than usual while on Brintellix. I'm not yet sure what benefit it will have on my mood or motivation bc I havent been on 20mg long enough (I'm only at 15mg). This means it will likely be at least another month before I can say for certain Brintellix is for me or not. I plan on moving up to 20mg at the end of next week as my supply of 15mg runs out then.

It is easy for the waiting to take its toll. Hope to get decent results like Katygirl, bluetoad, etc.

I've been on a lot of crappier meds than Bricktellix w/ lot worse SFX. Good luck w/whatever you and your md choose.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 27 March 2014 - 08:30 PM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.