Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#61 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Love it when reading boring abstracts to occassionally stumble on stuff like this:

Hypersexuality in a 28-year-old woman with rabies.
Senthilkumaran S, Balamurgan N, Sweni S, Menezes RG, Thirumalaikolundusubramanian P.

Abstract

Unusual clinical presentations of rabies are well known. A case of rabies is reported in a 28-year-old female who presented with features of increased sexual desire and heightened sexual arousal without provocation. Health care providers should be aware that marked changes in sexual behavior may be related to infection due to rabies.

My god! what a turn-on

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit, 29 January 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#62 carly

carly

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi all, just started Brintellix today.  Am very nervous about it - coming off a VERY bad experience with Fetzima so I am hesitant to start another shiny brand new medication.  I feel a little heartened by everyone's posts here though.  I'm also a momma to a two year old, and have been struggling since she was born so I am hoping for some energy and a little happiness.  I will be reading along to see everyone's progress and can post my own if that helps!  Good luck to all!

Hello Carly,

I went to the dr. to get on Brintellix and since she wasn't familiarized with it, she put me on Fetzima. I did horribly on Savella and I know this is similar in structure. I'm at  my wits end and so afraid Fetzima won't do the trick. Do you mind telling me what was your experience on it? I've been on it for 5 days and today I began sobbing like I hadn't in a while. I truly hope Brintellix works for you.

Hi! I was on Fetzima from Dec 23 to Jan 27.  I started on 20 mg and then went to 40 mg.  It was like I turned into a monster.  I became so aggressive and irritable.  It was awful.  I was crying constantly.  I went back down to the 20 mg dosage and the aggression subsided, however I still felt panicky and low and was crying all the time.  Granted, I have felt awful for a while now, but I don't think the Fetzima helped me out any.  Maybe I should have given it longer, but I was feeling so terrible I just couldn't stand it.  I really hope it works for you, feel free to keep me posted!  Good luck! 

Dx: Depression, Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder, PTSD, Agoraphobia (recovering) Migraines

Rx: Brintellix, Abilify, Xanax, Topamax, Imitrex

#63 ihatedrugs

ihatedrugs

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Hi all, just started Brintellix today.  Am very nervous about it - coming off a VERY bad experience with Fetzima so I am hesitant to start another shiny brand new medication.  I feel a little heartened by everyone's posts here though.  I'm also a momma to a two year old, and have been struggling since she was born so I am hoping for some energy and a little happiness.  I will be reading along to see everyone's progress and can post my own if that helps!  Good luck to all!

Hello Carly,

I went to the dr. to get on Brintellix and since she wasn't familiarized with it, she put me on Fetzima. I did horribly on Savella and I know this is similar in structure. I'm at  my wits end and so afraid Fetzima won't do the trick. Do you mind telling me what was your experience on it? I've been on it for 5 days and today I began sobbing like I hadn't in a while. I truly hope Brintellix works for you.

Hi! I was on Fetzima from Dec 23 to Jan 27.  I started on 20 mg and then went to 40 mg.  It was like I turned into a monster.  I became so aggressive and irritable.  It was awful.  I was crying constantly.  I went back down to the 20 mg dosage and the aggression subsided, however I still felt panicky and low and was crying all the time.  Granted, I have felt awful for a while now, but I don't think the Fetzima helped me out any.  Maybe I should have given it longer, but I was feeling so terrible I just couldn't stand it.  I really hope it works for you, feel free to keep me posted!  Good luck! 

I think it was the norepinephrine. I remember feeling edgy and very angry while on Savella. I hope it doesn't happen this time. On Fetizma @ 60mg, I've noticed more energy which was practically non-existant a few weeks ago. As far a depression goes, I don't feel it's done anything but it's still too early to tell. Will keep you posted.  

#64 LetMeEatCake!

LetMeEatCake!

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have been on brintellix for a month, I started on December 30. I don't have time at the moment to reply individually but wanted to jump in here and say how thankful I am for this medication. My life has changed dramatically this month.

It's hard to remember how bad things have been when you're in a good spot (as it's hard to remember things get better when you're in a bad spot.

This is the first time I have felt like my future will be successful in almost 8 years. All these ideas keep coming to me. Last few years my brain had flat lined. I used to be a truly intelligent person, my brain had gone to mush and I feel this creativity and desire to thrive coming back.

I am so much more social, reaching out to people, talking to friends smiling singing dancing.

I am really taking care of myself, cooking better meals, dressing nicely, getting out daily, driving!

I'm a little over 2 years away from 30. Wow! I'm so excited for what's to come at this rate. My hope is that I can wean down to only the brintellix and Xanax as needed.

I'm down to 37.5 effexor and started tapering off seroquel 200 to 150. :)

#65 ihatedrugs

ihatedrugs

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have been on brintellix for a month, I started on December 30. I don't have time at the moment to reply individually but wanted to jump in here and say how thankful I am for this medication. My life has changed dramatically this month.

It's hard to remember how bad things have been when you're in a good spot (as it's hard to remember things get better when you're in a bad spot.

This is the first time I have felt like my future will be successful in almost 8 years. All these ideas keep coming to me. Last few years my brain had flat lined. I used to be a truly intelligent person, my brain had gone to mush and I feel this creativity and desire to thrive coming back.

I am so much more social, reaching out to people, talking to friends smiling singing dancing.

I am really taking care of myself, cooking better meals, dressing nicely, getting out daily, driving!

I'm a little over 2 years away from 30. Wow! I'm so excited for what's to come at this rate. My hope is that I can wean down to only the brintellix and Xanax as needed.

I'm down to 37.5 effexor and started tapering off seroquel 200 to 150. :)

So happy for you. I wish you continued success. Keep us posted.

#66 Casting Couch Hobbit

Casting Couch Hobbit

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Cake, Hopefully the good results will stay.

#67 LetMeEatCake!

LetMeEatCake!

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Drugs- how are things going on the fetzima? Are you still experiencing increased energy? I hope a lift in depression!
Katy- have you seen anymore improvement in depression? How is the anxiety? Anymore luck with tapering off the benzodiazepine? How's your sleep?

#68 LetMeEatCake!

LetMeEatCake!

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Carly and harp- how are things going for you two? I hope to get some good updates from everyone!

Coming off the effexor (75 to 37.5) and seroquel (200 to 150) has brought me a little down again. I'm combating it as well as I can and hoping the brintellix will fight back! So determined to be off of effexor and seroquel, at least.

#69 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Carly and harp- how are things going for you two? I hope to get some good updates from everyone!

I've been up to 15 mg Brintellix since Friday (todays' Sunday) and down on the nortriptyline to 50mg. Have experienced some pretty minor GI symptoms (particularly nausea) that I'm not even sure is from the Brintellix. Overall my mood has been solidly positive most of the time, and my driving panic symptoms seemed perhaps more easily controlled with alprazolam yesterday when I was on a long distance trip. I'm not sure about that one though because the alprazolam has only been reintroduced recently, and I'm still tinkering with the timing and best doses for the driving panic. For the most part I've had a bit more energy and motivation, and noticeably more focus and ability to write. So far this has manifested itself only as Facebook arguments on hot button issues, but given how difficult this thinking and writing stuff has been for me recently I'll take that for now. Have had a few incidences of minor stuttering recently, which comes and goes for me, so I have no reason to believe it's necessarily related to the Brintellix. Anxiety has been mostly tolerable. I'm optimistic that this will be a good med for me, but I have had many meds crap out after a few weeks, so I hesitate to be too optimistic.

[Edited to correct dosage.]

Edited by Unstrung Harp, 03 February 2014 - 10:07 PM.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (20 mg); buspirone (45mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#70 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hi Cake,
Glad to hear you are doing so well. My depression was never bad, but I do see a lot of improvement. Anxiety - I am seeing some improvement. Regarding the benzo tapering, I am down to 6 mg of valium from 12 mg, so I'm happy with that! I've also stopped the Lunesta.

I tried the 50 mg of trazadone for sleep, and OMG, I was so drowsy, dizzy, and out of it but still couldn't sleep. I could not get up for work the next morning - ended up calling in sick for 2 days because I felt so spacey and out of it and not safe to drive. I then tried the Elavil, but only took half of a 10 mg pill (doc said to take 10-20 mg, but I was so freaked out from my trazadone reaction, that I wanted to start small). So my sleep with 5 mg of Elavil for 3 nights now has just been ok. I do sleep, but I wake up about every 30-60 minutes. I'm hoping either it will get better, or I won't need it after I've been on the Brintellix longer.

Re side effects - I had another bad bout with constipation, but since valium causes that too, I'm hoping that will go away with time. Or with my increased fiber diet! I've had some hand trembling the last couple of mornings, so not sure what is causing that - elavil, benzo tapering, brintellix, or a new caffeine sensitivity? It doesn't seem to be a problem after I get going for the day, so we'll see what happens with that.

Anyone experiencing any sexual side effects? I am starting to experience some similar to what I experienced on the SSRIs. My doctor seemed surprised. I read something that said initially they thought 35% of people experienced sexual side effects, but now they think it's more like 50%. For now, I am going to wait it out and see what happens, and once I get stabilized, maybe lower the dosage or add in wellbutrin or something.

#71 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Anyone experiencing any sexual side effects? I am starting to experience some similar to what I experienced on the SSRIs. My doctor seemed surprised. I read something that said initially they thought 35% of people experienced sexual side effects, but now they think it's more like 50%. 

Curious where you read that, as everything I've read and heard suggests significantly lower percentages of sexual side effects relative to placebo, and I recall my pdoc noting the same, particularly at the lower doses (I'm not seeing your dose here). Am I misreading? Either way, not something I'm noticing in particular.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (20 mg); buspirone (45mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#72 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Anyone experiencing any sexual side effects? I am starting to experience some similar to what I experienced on the SSRIs. My doctor seemed surprised. I read something that said initially they thought 35% of people experienced sexual side effects, but now they think it's more like 50%.

Curious where you read that, as everything I've read and heard suggests significantly lower percentages of sexual side effects relative to placebo, and I recall my pdoc noting the same, particularly at the lower doses (I'm not seeing your dose here). Am I misreading? Either way, not something I'm noticing in particular.

I took 10 mg for 2 weeks, and have been on 20 mg for about 2.5 weeks.

I'm unable to post a link, but if you go to voices.yahoo.com, the post is called "Vortioxetine (Brintellix) for Depression: Pros and Cons", by Clara Auty, MD. I am not vouching for reliability of the sources here, just noting that I saw it.

#73 ihatedrugs

ihatedrugs

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi cake and all,

Fetzima has yet to offer any depression relief. The energy levels have subsided some but I think it's because the depression has actually gotten worse. I'm sure it is because I'm quickly weaning off Lexapro and Abilify, the latter always kept my depression at bay but made me flat. Yesterday was a particularly hard day, so today took my Vyvanse and half an Adderall which lifts my mood enough to be semi-functional. I'm at the end of my rope and will be beginning Rtms treatment sometime next week. It's expensive but if it works, it will be the best money ever spent and there is a chance the insurance company will eventually pay for it; Medicare already does in some states. Once I begin the treatments, I will let you know.  Glad you guys are doing well. 

Edited by ihatedrugs, 04 February 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#74 carly

carly

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hi all!  I have been on Brintellix for a week now and things are going pretty well.  I haven't had a crying jag in about a week's time, I feel hopeful,, less edgy, and the little things (like taking the dog out) are getting easier.  Have even been making it to the gym.  I dont have as much energy as I did on the Fetzima but it made me feel so terrible I would gladly trade it for feeling more like myself.  

Drugs - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Fetzima starts working for you soon!

Cake - read your post from above about how well you've been doing on Brintellix and it really gave me hope.  I've only been on it a week but it's rare that someone like me would be able to get myself up and go to a GYM.  I have been feeling much more like myself.  Glad to hear you have been doing so well.  Hope it continues for you!  

Hope everyone is having a good week! :)

Dx: Depression, Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder, PTSD, Agoraphobia (recovering) Migraines

Rx: Brintellix, Abilify, Xanax, Topamax, Imitrex

#75 Momofone

Momofone

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi all, just took my first dose of Brintellix this morning. I'm really sensitive to most medications I've tried. I experience frequent panic attacks (most medications are really activating) and I'm sensitive to side effects when beginning a new medication. My depression often cycles, I'm hoping for good results from this one. Hope everyone is doing well :)

#76 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if people have noticed any weight gain on Brintellix. I've gained massive amounts of weight, even on so-called "weight-neutral" drugs. I think I'm one of those that's always in that 1% group that gains.

I'm glad to hear it's been helpful to people. I'm really...tired of meds.

#77 Momofone

Momofone

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I noticed immediately dry mouth and a sort of metallic taste similar to what I had with Wellbutrin. My Dr prescribed this over the phone (well gave samples for my husband to pick up) as she was closing early due to a snow storm. So she just gave me a brief blurb about no weight gain, no sexual dysfunction, etc.  She started me at 10mg, but it comes in 5mg which surprises me she didn't start me at the lowest dose. Thank goodness my office is next to a Culligan Machine, UGH.

#78 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hi Momofone,
My doc started me on 10 mg too, and i went up to 20 mg in 2 weeks. He also gave me samples for the 10 mg. maybe they don't get samples for the 5 mg? I have not noticed any metallic taste or dry mouth, but have had constipation, so be sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies so that doesn't happen to you. I don't think I've had any weight gain - I'll get on the scale tomorrow to make sure. This drug was really easy to start on compared to any other ADs I have tried, so hopefully you will do well on it. Keep us posted on how it goes.

#79 Katygirl

Katygirl

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi all!  I have been on Brintellix for a week now and things are going pretty well.  I haven't had a crying jag in about a week's time, I feel hopeful,, less edgy, and the little things (like taking the dog out) are getting easier.  Have even been making it to the gym.  I dont have as much energy as I did on the Fetzima but it made me feel so terrible I would gladly trade it for feeling more like myself.  

Hope everyone is having a good week! :)

Carly, that is awesome! When I went off Lexapro in August, I was crying all the time! I've been on Brintellix 5 weeks now and haven't cried at all. Of course, the Lexapro made me not cry for like 2 years either, so not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing! Glad to hear you've been making it to the gym. My running has been great on the Brintellix too. It's like I "want" to do it, instead of making myself do it.

#80 Codeman

Codeman

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Very interested how this works out for you guys. i'm thinking about Brintellix for myself, maybe.

Dx: Depression, Social Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety

Rx: Parnate, Lamictal, Geodon, T3

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.