• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jillbelle

jillbelle

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

edit

Edited by jillbelle, 18 November 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#2 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

Seroquel is quite sedating at lower doses and for some people continues to be sedating even at higher doses. At lower doses it's somewhat commonly used as a sleep aid. The division between when the sedation wears off depends on the individual -- so, unfortunately, can't be predicted. However, while you're still feeling tired from it you might want to take it all at night.

So you may be experiencing the sedation from the Seroquel, and that may be making you or making you feel like you're depressed.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#3 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

I take the Seroquel entirely at night, because when I take any dosage in the AM, it knocks me out. Seroquel has been knocking me out/sedating me on every dosage since I started it in May. I've never had the sedation wear off!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This does sometimes happen -- I think Erika is having/has had the same trouble.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#4 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

So you may be experiencing the sedation from the Seroquel, and that may be making you or making you feel like you're depressed.

Exactly why I had to quit taking Seroquel. Being constantly sedated grows old after 6 months of use. It killed my anxiety but made me very down and flat. No motivation, which sucked. I needed it when I was rx'd but not for 6 months. Good for killing agitation and badass anxiety when needed but personally I wouldn't take it long-term.

Talk to doc about Provigil. It helps with the lethargy/motivation issues and is pretty safe to use if you are BP.
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#5 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

I take the Seroquel entirely at night, because when I take any dosage in the AM, it knocks me out. Seroquel has been knocking me out/sedating me on every dosage since I started it in May. I've never had the sedation wear off!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This does sometimes happen -- I think Erika is having/has had the same trouble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jillbelle,

Fiona is right. I am having a very rough time trying to fight the sedation of Seroquel. I have not been able to titrate up to a higher dose where some people experience the lessening of sedation.

I even asked my pdoc last week how Seroquel can help with depression if it sedates me to the point that I am a walking zombie all day long. She agreed to decrease my dose, but that really hasn't helped because low doses are very effecteive for insomnia, so my sedation is as bad as when I first started and with every increase of dosage. 

In my case, the sedation of Seroquel is making me depressed because I have no energy, no motivation, and become angry at myself for not getting anything done all day. And, anger turned inward leads to depression.

I take Dexedrine for ADD but any of its stimulanting effects are canceled out by the Seroquel. My pdoc did add Provigil to my cocktail to promote wakefulness. It has helped some, I do have several hours during the day when I actually feel like I am awake. But I am still very frustrated. You do not mention why you are taking Seroquel or if you need an AP what, if any, other APs you have tried. Do you mind sharing why you are taking the Seroquel?

Believe me! I do know exactly how you feel.

Erika 
Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#6 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

I think the Seroquel was meant to be an anti-manic. It does help me sleep (for at least 13 hours a night) and helps with anxiety. But it's driving me crazy. It really, really is. I have no energy, no joy, no will to do anything.  ;)

hey Jill-

Butting in again-

I've been through it and I know what you're saying. It got to the point where I thought that the feeling was normal which is very sad in that I didn't know what I was missing. It's a quality of life issue that you need to talk out with doc. He/she should be receptive to your wishes unless they feel you are at risk.

No one knows how you feel but you. Tell 'em.
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

Here is something you all may find useful I hope---
My mom cured my Seroquel sedation/fog head/CRAPPY feeling! How could a nice 47-year-old lady with Lupus cure my Seroquel woes?.../

She was always, my whole life, in love with her sports drinks. She drank them all the time and always made me go to the store to buy them. I had NO IDEA why she was addicted to them- UNTIL NOW...

(I"m trying to make this dramatic and funny!) ;)

So, I had a few glasses of Gateroaide (sp?) in the morning when I woke up with my Seroquel hang-over, and within the hour, it was GONE. Again, and again, it goes away. Now I take Seroquel at night WITH sports drinks and douse myself with the drinks again in the AM.

Hey, I feel great now. Whatever it was that wasn't right in my head with the Seroquel is fine now. Maybe try some Gateroaide! She, my mom, has had a lot of on-going, chronic physical problems and is always on new meds. She swears by the stuff! And now I know why!
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#8 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

Maybe they make electrolyte drinks that are sugar free? Maybe the electrolytes are the issue??!! I was just so happy that a simple thing like a sports drink helped me be able to tolerate Seroquel and now, I'm up to 300mg.

If you and Seroquel just do not get along, don't try to force it! Remember how it does a number on the way your body works wtih sugar and insulin, causing type 2 diabetes in some people? Well, I know it makes me crave sugar like nothing else. I used to be a health-food nut and now I'm raiding the cookie aisle! I'm going to impose self-discipline after a few more bags of Oreos...

Talk to your pdoc about the sugar issue! It can't hurt. And don't let your pdoc rule you and get you to take shit that you don't get along with. Joe down the street could love Seroquel, but you might not, and that is fine! I hated it the first time around but now that I drink my sports drink I feel great. Results will vary.

Oh, and about it causing depression- the folks who distribute it in the US are prepared, with very good studies and very, very good statistical results, to submit Seroquel to the FDA at the end of '05 as a treatment for Bipolar Depression, along with it currently being approved for Bipolar Mania according to a statement at a conference they made in Paris this year. You never know, it could work in any number of ways in any one person's body, but it seems that it is dose dependent. It is stopping my moods and anxiety cold right now, so being able to get along wtih it has been key for me.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#9 seven

seven

• Pip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Jill,

All mood stabiizers (including anticonvulsants and antipsychotics) have the potential to cause depression because they are CNS depressants. They slow the brain down, reduce excitatory activity through gaba or by fiddling with voltages gates, glutamate, and we know not what. By the same principle, stimulants like the dopaminergic and noradrenaline activating wellbutrin can have anti-depressant effects.

I think I read Loon say somewhere that seroquel starts to be activating at 200? If you were a zombie at 350, seroquel is probably not right for you. No one should be a zombie unless they had to be snapped out of a major manic episode and are acclimating to new meds. You developed TD instead and you were still a zombie. At low doses you are as well. Sounds really wrong to me.

Hope your new pdoc has more imagination!

#10 Bohemian

Bohemian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:43 PM

When I was at 50mg for sleep (a joke - didn't work), it made me feel depressed.

Best,
Chris
By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Dx:  Paranoid schizophrenia, ADD, OCD, GAD, Social anxiety, migraines

Rx:  Abilify 30mg, Trilafon 32mg, Zyprexa 30mg, Thorazine 200mg, Depakote ER 1000mg, Topamax 50mg BID, Ativan 1mg TID, Klonopin 2mg TID, Ambien CR 12.5mg, Imitrex shot PRN, Dilaudid 4mg PRN

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

I have been on this medication for about a year. I think they are causing depression. When i stop taking them, after a few day's im fine and my old self again.
I'm on a very low dose only 50mg.

#12 Guest_Guest_Anise_*_*

Guest_Guest_Anise_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

I actually started a topic

#13 Guest_Guest_Anise_*_*

Guest_Guest_Anise_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Oops, sorry about that; didn't mean to post it. Also, I'm a member, not a guest, but the reply function on this board seems a little odd. Anyway...

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately. I finally had to conclude: no matter what anyone says, Seroquel is a depressant for me. There is just no doubt about it. And the effect is-- or at least FEELS-- 100% independent of the sedative effect. Here's what I mean. I am super sensitive to the CYP3A4 effect, where a huge range of foods and drugs interfere the liver enzyme used to metabolize Seroquel. Most people will only notice this effect with a few things like grapefruit juice and some drugs, but because I have neurological damage from a traumatic brain injury, my doctor has told me that I'm extra, extra sensitive. Sometimes it's just impossible to avoid ALL the things that cause problems. This means that the effect is the same as suddenly taking 50% more Seroquel!

When this happens, I will IMMEDIATELY become depressed. This is very unusual for me. I've never had true endogenous depression. I have had a very few episodes, each of which was caused by specific drug reactions and each of which ended as soon as the drug was withdrawn. Once I take away the food or drug that was the problem, the depression is resolved. Because of this, I just don't see any logical explanation besides the idea that the Seroquel was causing it. And whenever this happens, I don't feel one bit more sedated than I do at any other time. The depression doesn't feel at ALL like it goes along with more sedation; while Seroquel certainly knocks me out at night, I don't ever feel more sedated during the day anyway.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I'm an MSW, my area of interest is psychopharmacology (unusual for an MSW, but very imporant, I think,) and I do a lot of research through the University of Tennessee. In my opinion, quetiapine (Seroquel) absolutely has the potential to cause depression, and I don't think it's because it's a CNS depressant. I think it's because Seroquel is such a potent serotonin receptor antagonist. So it's keeping the neurotransmitter from latching onto the receptor. Kind of works against the purpose of an antidepressant!!! Drug companies certainly don't advertise this.

#14 Guest_ali_*

Guest_ali_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

I have been on Seroquel since May, at varying doses. It just knocks me out and makes me a zombie. On November 4, I developed TD symptoms, and was taken off the drug cold turkey. (I was on 350 mg then.) I had the worst withdrawal in the world. It seriously traumatized me. A week ago, the pdoc (I'm firing him this week) put me back on Seroquel, but at a lower dose. I just felt the latest increase (150 mg) kick in last night/today, and I feel so drugged. I want to die. This medication is so sedating for me; I swear it makes me depressed. Am I imagining this?

Also, I just started Zoloft on Thursday, and woke up today (after sleeping 13 hours) wanting to die. I don't know if it's the Zoloft or the depressant action of the Seroquel (if it does indeed have that property).

Thanks for your time.... ;)

#15 Guest_ali_*

Guest_ali_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

I have been on Seroquel since May, at varying doses. It just knocks me out and makes me a zombie. On November 4, I developed TD symptoms, and was taken off the drug cold turkey. (I was on 350 mg then.) I had the worst withdrawal in the world. It seriously traumatized me. A week ago, the pdoc (I'm firing him this week) put me back on Seroquel, but at a lower dose. I just felt the latest increase (150 mg) kick in last night/today, and I feel so drugged. I want to die. This medication is so sedating for me; I swear it makes me depressed. Am I imagining this?

Also, I just started Zoloft on Thursday, and woke up today (after sleeping 13 hours) wanting to die. I don't know if it's the Zoloft or the depressant action of the Seroquel (if it does indeed have that property).
hi i am 19 years old i was put on seroquel. the tiredness your expirencing i also have. i am 100mg and i never feel like i have enough sleep. also i do take mine at night. i also have started experiencing rage and anger. i feel like i am raging and angry all the time. it is starting to really get in the way of my life and my relationship. anyways i just want you to know that i also have the sever tiredness and the zombie feeling and super dry mouth. it almost feels like you have drank way to much cough syrup.

#16 Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

I'm manic depressive 1. Doc put me on 75mg and this drug makes me depressed as hell when I wake up. Went back to a lower dosage and still feel like life ain't worh living when I wake up. Along with my other meds, I should be able to sleep well. S has made me more manic and dangerous. When the real life problems come into play I guess there is no real solution to that.

#17 Guest_Will_*

Guest_Will_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

Exactly why I had to quit taking Seroquel. Being constantly sedated grows old after 6 months of use. It killed my anxiety but made me very down and flat. No motivation, which sucked. I needed it when I was rx'd but not for 6 months. Good for killing agitation and badass anxiety when needed but personally I wouldn't take it long-term.

Talk to doc about Provigil. It helps with the lethargy/motivation issues and is pretty safe to use if you are BP.

#18 Guest_will_*

Guest_will_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

I have been on and off seroquel for a few years now. Its benefits are as previously stated and the draw backs are bad and seem to possibly be long term for me at least. Its been about 7 months since I last took seroquel, I used to be a highly athletic and upbeat. I no longer have that energy. I have also become a very paranoid individual I do not know if it is from all the drugs that I have been given. (Welbutrin Seroquel Adderall lithium lamictal... marijuana.)
I also did the pro vigil this would have to be the closes to fix I have ever been. It helped me be more alert and focused. I was able to expend my energy during the day and occasionally take Seroquel when I could not sleep it did effect my eating habbits though miner compared to the others. The problem is that the drug provigil is so so so expensive Im talking like a few hundred dollars for a month supply. And good luck trying to get insurance to cover it, for some reason it is close to imposable to prove that you need Provigil lol (they will hand out Adderal like candy, an amphetamine) . I am no longer takeing either because of the cost of the drugs. I wish you the best of luck and if you figure something out that works great, let me know.

#19 Guest_Destinylaw_*

Guest_Destinylaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

Please help me!! I was on 50 mg of seroquel and had bad anger and rage. Everytime the dr puts me on 100mg I gete very depressed!!! and don't want to live. I hate this medicine and don't think it works but I have no idea what to do...

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

I have been put on a very small dosage, 25 mg, and am noticing I have been extremely depressed/panicked. I've called my pdoc and am waiting for a response. I am also on lamictal and abilify, which was working well but not addressing my anxiety -- I'm hoping I can find a better fit for me. ;)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.