Fetzima

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 Codeman

Codeman

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Thank you all for Fetzima anecdotes. This med was thrown around as an idea by my pdoc at the last visit, so I am trying to find out as much as I can about it.

Dx: Depression, Social Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety

Rx: Parnate, Lamictal, Geodon, T3

#22 WeShallSee

WeShallSee

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I have been diagnosed with Major Depression, Chronic Fatigue and General Anxiety Disorder. 40 year old male, married and two boys, 8 and 3. Looking back I can see aspects of these in my life, but everything culminated about 10 months ago when I quit my job after working there more than 14 years. I started a new job and long story short, it kicked off a major breakdown which left me in my doctor's office crying incessantly. Up until then have been on Lexapro for around 10 years and been on several other meds off and on with undesirable affects. I had Xanax as a 'backup' and on Nuvigal as needed. After my breakdown. I went on a three week leave and then quit my job. Now a full-time college student. First semester didn't go well and after all of these years of depression, anxiety and feeling unrested no matter the amount of sleep my pdoc started me on Fetzima about four weeks ago. I am also being weaned off the Lexapro. I also forgot to mention that when I had my breakdown I was immediately taken off Xanax and put on Klonopin. The Klonopin was a life saver.
The Fetzima has already changed me. I no longer have 'sleep attacks' and the 'sleep haze' is gone. That doesn't mean I am still not tired a lot, but there is a big difference between being tired and feeling like you could pass out and sleep for 20 years. So, side effects. Whether it is the Fetzima or weaning off Lexapro, who knows, but I think it is mainly the Fetzima. Like others, nausea is present and still present. I had trouble with urination, but that is now gone. I get dizzy if involved with any fast movement, but not noticeable during my 'regular day'. I have been prone to be more easily agitated which hasn't helped an already shaky marriage. Constipation? Yes, yes, yes. I feel like I have typed too much already so I will end it there. First follow up appointment with pdoc on Tuesday.

#23 bettyboopsie40

bettyboopsie40

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

This is my first post. I too have been on at least twenty different ADs since 1993. Now I'm on this brand new Fetzima. But I'm not sure if I can continue as I cry a lot I feel very agitated I'm angry and short tempered with everyone I know. I am still feeling STUCK even though it's helped my energy level. I'm not motivated. All I do is sit and watch tv and Facebook and play games. I only get out of the house about three or four times a week. Has any one experienced bad side effects from this drug? Deciding whether I should continue on it. It also is costing me two hundred a month because insurance will only pay so much. I've been on so many I just don't know what to do. I need to see my doc and discuss this with him. I'm so tired of being a guinea pig. That's what I feel like.

#24 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Fetzima works on norepinephrine more than serotonon. Fetzima, Savella, Nortiptyline, cymbalta(which supposedly acts on serotonin and norepinephrine equally).....all very norepinephriney. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition is some people's cup of tea......others dont do well at all. It helps alot of people with chronic pain, hence the reason savella was only offically approved for fibromyalgia and nortriptyline and cymbalta is prescribed alot to specifically treat pain. My experience with nortriptyline and cymbalta.........stimulating(sometimes to the point of being uncomfortable), sweaty, and edgy as f*ck. But they both worked pretty well after adjustment. I cant imagine Fetzima or Savella would be much different.

Edited by quiet storm, 20 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

#25 hitawall37

hitawall37

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Hey everyone. I thought I would jump in and talk about my experience with anti depressants as well. I have been on Citalopram for 12 years and it worked like a charm. I started taking it because of depression and severe PMS in my early 20's. I added straterra 1 year ago because of fatigue and lack of motivation. two months ago in just started feeling sick like a body ache and total and complete lack of energy. My doctor pulled me off of the citalopram because he thinks it just finally pooped out and stamped working. I have been on fetzima for three days now and am experiencing extreme body weakness...irritability and nauseausness in waves. I don't know if what I am feeling is due to withdrawals from citalopram or side effects from the fetzima. I am very confused and so tired of being sick and tiredm I am willing to give it two weeks to decide if I like it.

#26 hitawall37

hitawall37

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

This is my first time posting on a forum so please excuse my horrible spelling and random thoughts.

#27 zEpOL

zEpOL

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Fetzima did not work for me...quite the opposite

1st week - extreme irritability, nausea.  2nd week - depression, extreme irritability, extreme nausea, lethargy.  3rd week - depression, extreme irritability, extreme nausea, extreme lethargy, inability to focus.  4th week - extreme depression, extreme irritability, extreme nausea, extreme lethargy, inability to focus, fever/flushing, chills.  Day 30 - complete hysteria.

#28 HorseyGal

HorseyGal

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

I had more energy, felt brighter but was VERY pissy and testy.   Had to stop taking it as I work in corporate america.  Once I got on the phone and started yelling at people, I realized this was not going to work.

Edited by HorseyGal, 23 February 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#29 rigatron

rigatron

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

I just got put on Fetzima recently.  Started out with 2 doses of 20mg, followed by 12 days of 40mg, and now I believe this has been the 6th day of 80mg.  My doctor did this incremental dosage thing to prevent any nasuseaous symptoms, which I've had none of (sensitive stomach too, although maybe not totally relevant when talking about this).

Been on and off of Cymbalta for years.  Cymbalta has been by far the best antidepressant for myself.  I mainly take antidepressants to reduce anxiety symptoms, although sometimes I do get the typical depressive symptoms too.  I've been in a real funk lately, even having "suicidal ideations".  My doc suggested I try Fetzima to avoid the inevitable sexual side effects of Cymbalta.  Having not been taking Cymbalta for maybe a week now I'm already back to raging bull status.

Fetzima is probably the most interesting drug I've ever taken.  I have so much more energy to do the things I need to do.  This is very important because I'm in engineering school, and am seeking a coop for the summer (I really shouldn't even be writing this hah, so even if I try my hardest to do everything I need to do, I will still probably fall short.  Life is a marathon, not a sprint.  

My anxiety isn't particularly high, especially considering what it was just a month ago (near panic attacks), however it's different.  It's hard to put into words, but with the added energy comes a sort of yellow haze or buzz.  I wouldn't necessarily call it nervous energy, like I feel compelled to bounce my leg or something, but I feel like I'm walking around in a different world.  It's not necessarily a bad world this way, definitely better than without anything, streets ahead there.  It's just a bit of a weird feeling.  Maybe my brain just needs a little recovery time to deal with all this stress it has been through for a long time.  I don't know.

Overall I would definitely recommend Fetzima to anyone who finds themselves having depressive symptoms, and feel zapped of energy or willpower.  In that respect, I don't think I've ever felt better.

#30 thissideup

thissideup

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Glad to find this discussion!  First time poster.

My psychiatrist yesterday prescribed me Fetzima.  I've just started the starter pack, took my first 20mg pill today, with the plan to get to 40mg and stay there.

Since around 1998, I have taken Paxil (~ 12 years), Cymbalta, Viibryd, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, back on Viibryd, and now Fetzima.  I suffer from MDD and GAD.  I'm not sure what causes what, whether my depression causes anxiety or my anxiety causes depression. 

I'm 40 years old, have two boys, and am in a unsatifying marriage, oh, and I have a job that I don't like.  And have a child with ADHD that is having all sorts of behavioral problems at school.  And am under pressure to finish a transition to teach program so that I can become a teacher, instead of doing what I am currently doing.  And have a half-marathon race coming up in a month and a half that the cold weather around here (Indiana) has prevented much opportunity to get training runs in.

Cymbalta didn't work for me, and getting off of it was horrible - the withdrawal was staggering for me.  Viibryd didn't appear to do anything beyond what I had experienced with Paxil, Pristiq seemed to work well for me, but the sexual side effects were too much - no libido, erectile issues, etc.  Tried to go on a combo that had no sexual side effects (Wellbutrin  + Buspar), but the Wellbutrin really cranked up my anxiety.  I went back on Viibryd temporarily until I could get in to see my psychiatrist again.

Now, I'm starting Fetzima.  Not sure what to expect.  My prior experiences with SNRI's were mixed.  Pristiq worked fairly well, I think, but side effects were too much.  Cymbalta didn't seem to do much for my anxiety. 

My main complaint right now is my inability to stay asleep.  I wake up every morning between 3 am and 5am, and am unable to get back to sleep.  My doctor thinks it is depression, which I don't doubt.

I even take 100mg - 150mg of Trazodone to help me fall asleep, but I still wake up 5-6 hrs later, sit in bed, and am unable to get back to sleep, which starts to crank up my anxiety to start the day.  Not a good thing.

I'm hoping to have some success with Fetzima, and due to the newness of it, look forward to seeing how the rest of you progress.

#31 markmorgan99

markmorgan99

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I have taken Effexor for the last 7 years and it has worked good for my Bipolar and depression problems. The doctor and I thought it would be good to take me off the effexor for awhile and try out Fetzima.  I am glad I heard other people comment on side effects of effexor (lack of sexual motivation and problem orgasming)  I have been on Fetzima for a month now and have had a headache almost everyday and had periods of nausea also. I have not got the boost of energy that others speak of and feel like my emotions are alot more up and down then when I was on Effexor. I am also going through periods of feeling like crying..  I dont think Fetzima is for me maybe I need more of a Serotonin boost than what this pill gives.

#32 WeShallSee

WeShallSee

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Well is my week six follow up.  I am still on 40 mg of Fetzima.  Completely off of Lexapro, Klonopin and Nuvigil.  I came off all of those as recommended.  Most of the initial side affects are gone, but I am still very agitated and 'moody'.  I also now have what could be described as Vertigo, but not really.  It only happens when I move abruptly or am active for a period of time.  My pdoc doesn't think that it is a side affect and my internal medicine doctor couldn't find anything wrong and gave me an antibiotic pack to help for inner ear issues.  That has done nothing.

My pdoc did suggest to increase my dosage since Fetzima seemed to immediately help with my chronic fatigue.  Extremely bad idea.  I took an additional 20mg in the morning as he suggested and I got extremely agitated.  The timing couldn't have been worse.  I am back in school full-time trying to figure out what to do with my life and I had a blow up in the middle of a class of about 30-40 students.  Luckily the professor knows me as well as a few of the students.  They were all very surprised by my outburst and knew it wasn't like me.  I spoke to the professor after class in her office and she completely understood.  I then couldn't stop crying.  Now I have a bunch of students that think I am a major jerk, but I can't help that now.  I am staying on 40mg until I can get in to see my pdoc.

I am still very quick to go off though, followed by guilt and crying.  As others have mentioned on this site, I now have to decide it this is better than what I had before which at this point it is.

Just like my username.... we shall see.

#33 thissideup

thissideup

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Update:  I'm now done with Fetzima.  Lasted 5 days. 

Terrible side effects.  Sweaty, anxiety attacks, rapid heart beat, and the always unpleasant sexual side effect of not being able to get an erection at all. 

Saddened by this, as I was hoping for something more.  Now back on Viibryd in the mean time until the psychiatrist can come up with plan B.

Good luck to the rest of you who this is working for.

#34 Blue Toad

Blue Toad

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Agitation seems like a common problem with SNRIs.  It's the norepinephrine reuptake inhibition that causes it.  Fetzima is probably the worst in this regard -- it hits the NE receptors harder than the others.   It all depends on the type of depression you have, what your particular imbalance is. 

I'm doing much better on Brintellix. 

Edited by Blue Toad, 04 March 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#35 thissideup

thissideup

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Blue Toad-

What are your symptoms / issues?  It's interesting, as my psychiatrist mentioned that fetzima hit the norepi receptors much moreso than other SNRI's.  I didn't know what to make of that at the time, but now I have experienced it. 

I took pristiq and cymbalta before - huge sexual side effects with pristiq - just no libido whatsoever, but didn't seem to have any such side effects with cymbalta.  Although, at the time, I didn't know what exactly the cymbalta was doing for me.

How long have you been on brintellix?

#36 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Update:  I'm now done with Fetzima.  Lasted 5 days. 

Terrible side effects.  Sweaty, anxiety attacks, rapid heart beat, and the always unpleasant sexual side effect of not being able to get an erection at all. 

Saddened by this, as I was hoping for something more.  Now back on Viibryd in the mean time until the psychiatrist can come up with plan B.

Good luck to the rest of you who this is working for.

Yep, its that good old norepinephrine. I felt sweaty and had faster hartbeat(and raised BP a little) on cymbalta and nortiptyline. Really edgy at times. Some folks just dont do well with extra norepinephrine. Fetzima is closely related to savella. Me and my pdoc were talking about options yesterday before we settled on brintellix. She was saying she only had one patient who ever liked savella. The rest hated it.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

#37 alyssarosen06

alyssarosen06

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

I started taking fetzima about two weeks ago. It was working really well! I had energy, control of my emotions, I felt happier over all and didn't have any anxiety attacks. I started to feel like myself again! It was the perfect drug for me until I woke up with hives and a swollen tongue after being on it for one and a half weeks. I was so sad to have to stop taking it. Now I am about to try viibryd now that the hives are gone. Other than the allergic reaction, I thought fetzima was great! I hope that it helps a lot of people!

#38 thissideup

thissideup

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Yep, its that good old norepinephrine. I felt sweaty and had faster hartbeat(and raised BP a little) on cymbalta and nortiptyline. Really edgy at times. Some folks just dont do well with extra norepinephrine. Fetzima is closely related to savella. Me and my pdoc were talking about options yesterday before we settled on brintellix. She was saying she only had one patient who ever liked savella. The rest hated it.

I was on cymbalta at one point, but never had any of these side effects.  Its so strange how medications affect people so differently, even within families such as the SNRI's and SSRI's,  that it really does seem like psychiatry is largely based on "what's next on the shelf?" as opposed to a logical process...

#39 poodlecrazy

poodlecrazy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

I am new to the boards.  Doc took me off Wellbutrin 300mg and Effexor 225mg on Monday.  Started taking Fetzima 40mg Tuesday. So today is day 3. Feeling very odd.  Yesterday I was very confused and tired, slept most of the day, ravenously hungry.  Today I alternate between nausea and hungry. Feel like I am going to fall asleep at my desk. Last night I slept hard, especially odd since I slept most of the day.  I sweat through everything on my bed, which is also very odd for me.

I am noticing a theme on this thread, that everyone's pdocs stair stepped them off old drugs and star stepped them up on Fetzima.  Not mine.  Went cold turkey and started a new.

So I am wondering if my symptoms are a cross of the three meds reacting, coming off the Effexor or just the reaction to Fetzima.  Husband wants me to call pdoc, but I just want to give it some more time.  What to do?

#40 avisa4306

avisa4306

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

Doc took me off Pristiq 100mg on Monday. Started Fetzima 20 mg Tuesday morning. Took with food as I am prone to diarrhea. Hot flashes of sorts started Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday took another 20mg. Severe hot flashes plus jittery, rapid heartbeat, vivid dreams when I was able to sleep, and nausea. Thursday 40mg. Could barely stand myself. Same previous symptoms plus vomiting and severe diarrhea. Had to leave work by noon. Doc wants me to take a Pristiq today then try brintellix. Think I'm gonna have to pass. I want to go back to one of the old school meds like Wellbutrin. I took it many years ago. Can't remember why I stopped. Have previously taken Prozac, effexor, Pristiq and a couple I can't remember. I'll go back to Pristiq 50mg until I can see my doc.
Really appreciate all the great info shared on here.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.