Latuda antipsychotic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paranoidling

Paranoidling

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

My experience with Latuda has been horrible.

I took it for about a month and a half (20mg) and am now stopping it because of the horrible side effects.

The first few weeks on it I felt nothing. There were no positive or negative effects. Eventually my mood got a little "happier" and calmer but that's also when the other side effects started kicking in:
-Stiff/contracted muscles in my legs -- I can't describe the feeling. It was not painful by any means but it made me want to cry in frustration because it just didn't feel "right."
-Extreme fatigue/tiredness -- falling asleep around 7:00 pm
-Numbness in my right hand -- no idea where this came from!
-Unusually slow heartbeat
-Sluggishness and feeling heavy
-General brain fog
-Overall, literally felt like I was about to die, and was kind of depressed about it, haha.

I've been off it for about a week now and I feel LOADS better. The only problem I've had is the occasional anxiety flare up but it's getting tolerable.

Anyone else had bad experiences? Or am I just one of the unlucky ones?

Edited by Hpunk94, 19 January 2014 - 07:37 PM.

DX: OCD, Anxiety, Insomnia. May or may not be schizoaffective. Could have personality disorder; waiting on diagnosis.

#2 Lauren1083

Lauren1083

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

The only side effect that I noticed was the extreme fatigue .... I would take it and then within 2 hours couldnt keep my eyes open. This has gotten alot better after being on the medication for a little bit of time.

Dx: Depression (diagnosed 2/2011)

One inpatient hospitalization 3/2011

Also dealing with PCOS, Insulin resistance (diagnosed 1999), High blood pressure

Psych Rx: Effexor XR 225mg, Latuda 40mg

Other Rx: Glucophage ER, Lo Estrin Fe, Benicar 20mg

PRN Rx: Xanax 0.25mg, Vistaril 25mg

#3 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2619 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I was,on 80mg for quite a while. I don't have a bad experience I would say. I had zero side effects, no sleepiness, nothing at all. It just plain old didn't control my psychosis. So I was taken off of it. Too bad. I had such high hopes for this med.
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 150mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#4 AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

I've taken it for over 2 years now and I LOVE it! At first, it made me fall asleep as soon as I took it, so I had to take it at bedtime. Now, it takes a couple of hours, so I take it with dinner. The first month I took it, I did have a stiff neck after taking it, but it went away after a month. It does cause me SEVERE heartburn, but prilosec takes care of that, so I'm fine with it.

Current dx: Bipolar II
Current meds: latuda 60mg Lamictal 75mg
didn't work meds: Resperidone, Seroquel xr, prozac, zoloft, paxil

Not sure if it worked or not, but no longer taking: Effexor xr

Non MI related meds: Zyrtec, Nasonex, Metaforin, prilosec, prevalite

23505017.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#5 CeremonyNewOrder

CeremonyNewOrder

• Pip
  • 1322 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Latuda didn't do anything to me (good or bad) so I stopped it.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder (bipolar type), Hypothyroidism, Sleep Apnea

Rx: Lithium 1800mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Effexor 225mg, Trazodone 50-150mg, Levothyroxine 0.05mg

Past rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor, Seroquel, Abilify, Wellbutrin,Tegretol, Depakote, Invega, Resperidone, Doxepin, Ativan, Valium, Haldol, Latuda, Clomipramine, Restoril, Trazodone, Remeron

"This is the part of me that needs medication"-Modest Mouse

#6 LouisianaSportsman

LouisianaSportsman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Best psychotropic I've ever taken. I decided to changeover from Abilify (aripiprazole) to lurasidone because of reciprocative weight gain (lurasidone, for me, has been weight neutral; however, we did augment Topamax [topiramate] 100mg. when it was prescribed) and pharmacological reasons (5HT-7 action of lurasidone improves cognition) My bipolar depression is in complete remission after taking this medicine. 

Side Effects (very mild):

Nausea (gone for the most part)

Heartburn (protein pump inhibitor will work)

Early Awakening (can go back to sleep)

No fatigue noted. I take it at bedtime with food.

I took it with Abilify for approximately a week before discontinuation of it. One important note: I did experience a period of anxiety for two weeks: I believe it was withdrawal from aripiprazole. I thought I wouldn't have to taper since I was I was replace it with another AAP. Wrong. The discontinuation syndrome of Abilify lasted two weeks. But, it could have been the Latuda that caused this period of anxiety, I'm not sure.

The 40mg. dose of lurasidone was equivalent to the Abilify after two weeks. I switched to 80mg. to see if I could get better results. Absolutely changed my outlook on life. I no longer get "negative thought patterns". My parents and PDOC both said that I'm like a completely new person since being on the Latuda. I don't want to lay in bed all day, I want to live life now; it is definitely due to lurasidone. I want to take the lowest dose I can for tolerance and weight gain so I went for 60mg. which is equipotent to the 80mg. dose for me. I am on a maintenance dose of 60mg. now.

Latuda is amazing for me, but your mileage may vary. 

Adderall (amphetamine salts) 60mg.; Aplenzin (bupropion hydrobromide) 522mg.; Effexor (venlafaxine) 150mg.; Lamictal (lamotrigine) 200mg.; Latuda (lurasidone) 60mg.; Nuvigil (armodafinil) 250mg.; Neurontin (gabapentin) 1,200mg.; Topamax (topiramate) 100mg.

#7 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I too take 60mg and I am obsessed with this med. Latuda is the best thing that has ever happened for my life. I have managed to wean myself off social security, get a job, and have greatly reduced symptoms. My GAF score is probably a solid 40 points higher than it was. It is my miracle med.

The only side effect I get is that if I eat it with too little food or the wrong kind of food (generally it needs protein) it gives me some wicked nausea. But then I fall asleep, so it's a relatively short window of discomfort...and I just increased my dose a month or so ago, so I'm thinking the nausea will probably be a distant memory in a few months.

I have more energy, I'm less trapped in negative thought patterns, and I feel cognitively sharper. 

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#8 MisterJoshua

MisterJoshua

Grand Poobah

• Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I'm interested to hear if anyone switched to Latuda from Geodon, and how they might compare. Geodon isn't really working for me, but my pdoc was hesitant to switch to Latuda. He preferred I try a higher dose of Geodon instead.

You were right when you said manic depression' s a frustrating mess. - Built to Spill

Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you. - Nirvana

Bipolar (ever-changing between I and NOS), anxiety disorder, PTSD, OCD, psychosis, DPSD

Lithium, geodon, trazadone, prazocin, klonopin, wellbutrin, pilocarpine

#9 dnautics

dnautics

• Pip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

The only side affect I get from Latuda is some sedation early the next morning (I take it at bedtime).

Mister:

I switched from Geodon to Latuda and had much less side affects. I felt "drugged" on the equivalent dose of Geodon (120mg) and slept 13hrs a day..

Edited by dnautics, 21 January 2014 - 11:54 PM.

Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar) - Latuda 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Klonopin 2MG (bedtime), Armour 120mg

Other DX:  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 

#10 kittnclaw

kittnclaw

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

I was fine on 20 mgs, bumped up to 40 by my NP and akathisia started kicking my ass! It makes me feel so awful and I can't stop moving! I was put on Propranolol to help get rid of it and it was just adjusted to a higher dose today. I have lost 16 pounds so far on Latuda, so I am not ready to give it up yet!

DX - Bipolar, anxiety, PTSD

RX - Latuda 40 mgs, Paxil 10 mgs, Buspar 5 mgs, Propranolol 20 mgs

Edited by kittnclaw, 18 July 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#11 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

It made me feel really paranoid for some reason. I have no idea why. And nauseous but I don't know if that was because it made my blood sugar go high. The akathisia was pretty bad too. However, I won't say "don't take this med" because it's supposed to have the best side effect profile.

Diagnoses: Bipolar 1 with psychotic features; juvenile diabetes; macular edema (due to over 2 decades of diabetes)

Current meds: Zyprexa Zydis- 10 mg twice daily; Lithium- 900 mg at night; Trileptal- 600mg twice daily; Wellbutrin XL- 300 mg daily; Ritalin- 10 mg twice daily; Vistaril- 50 mg PRN; insulin pump; birth control

Past antidepressants: Celexa, Zoloft, Lexapro, Anafranil, Nortriptyline, Pristiq, Wellbutrin SR

Past antipsychotics: Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Saphris, Invega, Latuda

Past mood stabilizers: Lithium, Tegretol

Past ADD meds: Vyvanse, Strattera, Adderall XR, Adderall IR

Past sleep meds: Ambien, Rozerem, Restoril, Benadryl, Trazodone

Past anti-anxiety meds: Klonopin

Past misc. meds: Cogentin, various types of insulin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.