Photo
- - - - -

do you feel you use your mentall illness as a crutch?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

I had someone I thought was a friend tell me I do this, and it got me thinking. What exactly constitutes using your mi or unfortunate circumstances as a crutch? 

#2 Hadeharia

Hadeharia

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

I imagine that most of us are guilty of using our mental illness as a crutch every so often, but I don't think that the majority of people suffering from a mental illness regularly and intentionally use it as a crutch or an excuse. It depends on the person. I've known people who have been given ample opportunity to help themselves who continuously sabotage their recovery in order to maintain the role of a sick person as well as people who desperately want to get better but aren't able to because they're disadvantaged or because their illness is treatment-resistant. I believe that there are more people who fall into the latter category than the former.

dx: autism spectrum disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, schizophrenia (recovered?)

#3 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

No.  I'm not even sure what it would mean to use my MI as a crutch. I have fought damn hard through hospitalisations, therapy and years of hit-and-miss with medications to get where I am today. Now I take full responsibility for my actions and behaviour, and part of that responsibility is learning and educating myself on my diagnosis.   I worked and struggled for a long, long time to reach this space.  I'm not perfect by a long shot, and I do get frustrated and despair still at times, but I really try to do the next right thing when it comes to taking care of myself. 

But seriously, I don't fully understand what is meant by "using mental illness as a crutch".  What do you think your friend was trying to tell you?

Dx and Rx are on my profile.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

42  (Douglas Adams)

#4 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

Im not sure exactly what she was getting at. It was part of a conversation in which she ranted about personal choice, and how we shouldnt let our circumstances hold us back. I brought up mental illness, and that we dont always have control over that, even with meds and therapy. I asked her if I was to blame for my PTSD because I chose to be in a relationship with my abuser in the past. She basically said that it was my choice to be with someone I knew was a bad person.  Then she was talking about how she hated that rapists and murderers shouldn't get sympathy just because they had a crappy childhood. She was all over the place. I stated my opinion then logged off. (This debate was online.) I felt really sick and angry after that. 

Im still unclear how I use my mi as a crutch. And I dont want to ask her because I dont want to be triggered any more. I nearly self injured that night, and I've been working on not doing that. Today she texted me like nothing happened. I dont think she realizes how offensive she was, though I think I was pretty clear how angry I was during the conversation. 

#5 Hadeharia

Hadeharia

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

I'm sorry that the conversation with your friend distressed you. You are not to blame for your abuser's behavior and you don't sound like someone who uses their mental illness as a crutch. It sounds like she has her own issues that she's projecting onto you.

dx: autism spectrum disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, schizophrenia (recovered?)

#6 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

Thanks. My bf said just about the same thing you just said. He thinks something pissed her off and she just exploded all over the internet about it. I just wish she didn't think it was ok to speak that way about mentally ill people or abuse survivors. Her own husband is both, so you'd think she would know better. 

#7 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

I'm sorry that the conversation with your friend distressed you. You are not to blame for your abuser's behavior and you don't sound like someone who uses their mental illness as a crutch. It sounds like she has her own issues that she's projecting onto you.

^ ^ this.  What your "friend" said was horrible and unkind, and I'm very sorry you were subjected to that.  I don't mean to overstep here, but I feel I have to ask: do you really need someone like that around?  Part of taking care of yourself and your own needs is not allowing poisonous people in your life.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

42  (Douglas Adams)

#8 Level_With_Me

Level_With_Me

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

I definitely don't think I use my MI as a crutch. If anything I use it as a stepping stool. The things that I go through help me learn things and sometimes life lessons. I have in the past used my MI as an excuse for the way I was feeling, sure, but I definitely don't use it as a crutch.

Dx: Schizzoaffective Bipolar Disorder/ I know this illness now is permanent and I am starting to Level with thatRx: Depakote ER 2000mg / Risperdal 3mg / Atenolol 50mg 2x daily / Hydroxyzine 25mg 3x daily as needed / Bupropion XL (WELLBUTRIN) 450mg daily / Citalopram (Celexa) 60mg daily"It's obvious that it's not ever so obvious." Reminder of the day for everyday...Take MEDS!<p>Hopes for the future: Stay stabilized / get education / get in shape

#9 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

^ ^ this.  What your "friend" said was horrible and unkind, and I'm very sorry you were subjected to that.  I don't mean to overstep here, but I feel I have to ask: do you really need someone like that around?  Part of taking care of yourself and your own needs is not allowing poisonous people in your life.

Don't worry about overstepping. :) Im debating whether I want anything more to do with her. I've known her many years, and while she can be very opinionated, I had never heard her say anything like that before. Now Im kind of thinking its how she really sees me, and has just been quiet about it till now. 

I definitely don't think I use my MI as a crutch. If anything I use it as a stepping stool. The things that I go through help me learn things and sometimes life lessons. I have in the past used my MI as an excuse for the way I was feeling, sure, but I definitely don't use it as a crutch.

I like your perspective. :) Mental illness sucks, but I also feel I have learned a lot as a result. 

#10 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21055 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

I was thinking about this and I guess I don't understand how MI can be used as a crutch.  Do you mean people use it as an excuse for doing bad things?

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#11 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

Don't worry about overstepping. :) Im debating whether I want anything more to do with her. I've known her many years, and while she can be very opinionated, I had never heard her say anything like that before. Now Im kind of thinking its how she really sees me, and has just been quiet about it till now. 

Yeah, unfortunately that's exactly how I feel with this kind of thing - it puts into question everything I thought I knew about the other person and their beliefs.  I've felt similarly when people I considered friends suddenly let rip with anti-gay rhetoric - my sister is lesbian, and happily married, and knowing just how much shit and trauma she went through to get to where she is means that I will not tolerate or excuse hate speech from anyone.  For me it's a deal breaker.  I guess you need to decide if this "mental illness as a crutch" BS is a deal breaker for you and your relationship with this person.  Only you can make that decision, but for what it's worth, I think you deserve kindness and generosity in your friendships, not hate and ignorance disguised as "debate".

42  (Douglas Adams)

#12 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

I was thinking about this and I guess I don't understand how MI can be used as a crutch.  Do you mean people use it as an excuse for doing bad things?

She made some comments about criminals using their abusive upbringings as an excuse for committing crimes, people who made bad choices complaining about not being where they want to be in life, people using their mental illness or having been abused as an excuse for not doing well in life. Basically that its not what happens to you, its how you react to it, and people need to take personal responsibility.

I told her that it's not ok for someone to rape and murder, but that peoples life circumstances do affect them and the course their life takes. 

#13 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21055 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

She made some comments about criminals using their abusive upbringings as an excuse for committing crimes, people who made bad choices complaining about not being where they want to be in life, people using their mental illness or having been abused as an excuse for not doing well in life. Basically that its not what happens to you, its how you react to it, and people need to take personal responsibility.

I told her that it's not ok for someone to rape and murder, but that peoples life circumstances do affect them and the course their life takes. 

oh ok, thanks.  Personally, like mentioned in a previous post, I might say I am (happy/sad/whatever) because of MI (like if I am hypo or depressed), but if I do something wrong I take responsibility for it.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#14 fya13

fya13

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

I personally have never known anyone who used their mental illness as a "crutch" which is why this confuses me so much. Some people are unable to work or go to school due to mental illness, but I dont consider that to be any different to a person being unable to work due to physical illness. I am trying to get disability due to my mi, and maybe she thinks Im wrong for that, and should snap out of it and be a "productive" member of society. 

#15 neptunesky

neptunesky

• Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

She doesn't sound very helpful at all!

I have been guilty of using it as a crutch yes, but that is because i was confused and my life had just been turned upside down. If i did something wrong while ill, i would take responsibility but i would have to make people aware that i have an illness that is sometimes out of my control.

Edited by neptunesky, 30 January 2014 - 12:48 AM.

DX: Depression (cyclomythic, dysmythic and supposidly like mild bipolar), GAD with panic attacks and Insomnia

Meds:50 mg Quatiapine. On nothing for depression due to side effects and really struggling.

Past Meds:Citalopram,Paroxotine, Fluoxotine, Sertraline, Diazapam.

Past diagnosis: Bulimia Nervosa, now recovered but suffering EDNOS symptoms. PTSD.

Things i'm concerned i have:BPD, Body dysmorphia.

#16 inthepines

inthepines

• Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I use crutches to cope with my mental illness not the other way around. I'm often *too* hard on myself, push myself too far, assume I'm more well than I am and less vulnerable than I am. I have never used mental illness as an excuse except maybe to stay in my pyjamas all Sunday sometimes (jokes I don't have an excuse for that ;) ).

Coming to terms with and accepting ones mental illness is one thing. Intentionally using it to get something out of the system is another. Unless you're doing the later you're going through a normal human process and have nothing to feel guilty about.

#17 Mim

Mim

This thing of darkness I acknowledge mine.

• Pip
  • 2386 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

I had someone I thought was a friend tell me I do this, and it got me thinking. What exactly constitutes using your mi or unfortunate circumstances as a crutch? 

I haven't been outright accused of this, but my sister has insinuated it. Her thought is that I hide behind it, and use it as an excuse to get out of things, like working, family holidays, etc.

I've wondered at times if I do do this, but I'm not sure. I was hard on myself for a lot of years, and pushed myself to do things even when I didn't want to and, in hindsight, had no business doing them. It does feel weird to be on disability, and to "give in" and draw boundaries on things that I know will make me worse, but I still have times when I push things and discover that I maybe shouldn't have. I don't think it's a crutch, or if it is, I only say "I can't, it isn't going to work out" when I honestly need it, and I will not be blamed for using a "crutch" if I have a fucking "limp." That's what it boils down to, for me. It's not my business if someone else thinks I'm faking or whatever. I've seen what happens if I try to push it beyond my limits, and I know that this is real.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

Dx: Schizotypal PD with Schizoid traits, social phobia, BPII (or perhaps recurrent MDD).
Rx: Talk therapy, olanzapine, fluoxetine, B-12, sunshine, coffee, solitude. 

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

#18 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1560 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

What's especially unhelpful about what your friend said is that for many of us MI doesn't just impact our ability to do stuff, but it makes us feel crappy about ourselves that we haven't been able to do that stuff. So when people say things like that, they're kind of echoing and perpetuating the bad static in our heads that makes us feel worthless. Personally, I have spent a lot of time in therapy trying to quiet that static and not blame myself for my mental illness. I think people with MI have some responsibility-- getting medical attention, taking our meds, seeing our therapists, trying in general to be as well as we can, and maybe finding that sweet spot between what we want to do and what we feel like we can't do. But using MI as a crutch, yeah, that's not a helpful thing to say. Not everything is about having a can-do attitude.

I just wish she didn't think it was ok to speak that way about mentally ill people or abuse survivors. Her own husband is both, so you'd think she would know better. 

The fact that you said this about her, though, makes me wonder if her saying this comes from frustration with something she is dealing with as a spouse of someone with MI. Not that it makes what she said any more useful or accurate, but even as someone with MI myself I can say that dealing with my spouse's MI when it has been at its worst has been really, really difficult. I know how debilitating depression is, but that didn't make me feel better when I couldn't get him to come out from under his desk. I could be completely off base, but it's just a thought as to a possible explanation for what is otherwise completely thoughtless behavior.

Edited by Unstrung Harp, 30 January 2014 - 05:06 PM.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (15 mg); buspirone (45mg); adderall xr (20mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#19 tinypunx

tinypunx

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Kind of hard to use something as a crutch while it's constantly kicking your feet out from under you. 

current dx: bipolar type I with mixed states, mild psychotic features, and ultra rapid cycling

past dx (made at age 8): ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, chronic depression, night terrors (from ages 0-12)

current rx: oxcarbazepine 600mg, trazodone 25mg, alprazolam 0.5mg prn

current supplements: multivitamin, vitamin D 5,000 IU, melatonin prn

past rx: aripiprazole, lithium citrate, levetiracetam, bupropion

past supplements: omega-3s, zinc

#20 neptunesky

neptunesky

• Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

^^^ i agree.

I have also pushed myself too far since becoming very ill, trying to prove to myself i'm not that ill, trying to keep up

with societal and family pressures.

DX: Depression (cyclomythic, dysmythic and supposidly like mild bipolar), GAD with panic attacks and Insomnia

Meds:50 mg Quatiapine. On nothing for depression due to side effects and really struggling.

Past Meds:Citalopram,Paroxotine, Fluoxotine, Sertraline, Diazapam.

Past diagnosis: Bulimia Nervosa, now recovered but suffering EDNOS symptoms. PTSD.

Things i'm concerned i have:BPD, Body dysmorphia.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.