• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:06 AM

I wanted to know what you guys think about the possibility that Seroquel, or perhaps something else causing  my nightmares.

I've had really scary, vivid nightmares for 2 nights in a row now. I've been taking Seroquel for a couple of weeks, and while it gives me vivid dreams, hasn't caused them to be terrible before.

Drug related? Stress? Other?

What do you think?
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#2 tallulah

tallulah

slide

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:10 AM

i took seroquel for 3 days - and had the worst nightmares ive EVER had.  i stopped right away and havent gone back.  im too scared to try it again...even for sleep.

thats just my experience, though.
;)

tal.
living like this is a full-time business.

"it felt like a low level of despair. you're not getting any answers, but you are living okay and you can smile at the office."

#3 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

Unless you've changed something in the last week or so, you might want to look at what stress or disturbance you have in your life. Sleeping is a space where the brain "works out" a lot of things, so if you've been more stressed or had unusual things happening that can trigger nightmares. They'll probably go away as mysteriously as they came.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#4 tallulah

tallulah

slide

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

thats good to know, Fiona. although these nightmares i had were very bizarre and NOTHING like ive ever experienced before...

it was an extremely paradoxical effect.
living like this is a full-time business.

"it felt like a low level of despair. you're not getting any answers, but you are living okay and you can smile at the office."

#5 grousemouse

grousemouse

Be calm, move on.

• Pip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:09 PM

i'm a regular seroquel taker and i used to get horrific nightmares/dreams. i think it is a side effect of seroquel, but i don't know how long it lasts. i would check out crazymeds.us to see what info jerod has assembled for seroquel/quetiapine.

grouse.

In latest news, the Italian entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, "I Can't Get No Contraception", has been withdrawn from the competition after the Pope advised them to pull it out at the last minute.

Source: Not The Nine O'Clock News.

#6 PBF

PBF

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

I wanted to know what you guys think about the possibility that Seroquel, or perhaps something else causing  my nightmares.

I've had really scary, vivid nightmares for 2 nights in a row now. I've been taking Seroquel for a couple of weeks, and while it gives me vivid dreams, hasn't caused them to be terrible before.

Drug related? Stress? Other?

What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Usually antipsychotics like zyprexa and seroquel actually kill nightmares and help you sleep.  You don't dream much on those meds.  But it seems that these meds can have the opposite effect on some people - causing nightmares.  I've heard many people report seroquel nightmares.  Personally, I've always slept very well on seroquel.  But yeah, it is possible for a med to cause nightmares, some antidepressants will cause vivid dreams and weird shit sometimes too.

PBF

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

Jerod doesn't have anything like nightmares as a side-effect on crazymeds.us, but it is good to know that I'm not alone or VERY crazy indeed- it very well could be the Seroquel.

Tonight I'm going to do my anxiety/panic self-hypnosis, to calm myself, and then sleep and see what happens.

I actually saw my pdoc today and told him, and he *claims* that it is "impossible". Well, clearly it IS possible, and DOES happen! We're just working with a much larger sample size here.
So guess what he did today? He raised the Seroquel from 400mg to 500mg!!! Awesome!

I will not hesitate to tell him if I need to take it all during the day.

I do not get tired at all from it. I can take it all in teh day. I don't know why he's so hell-bent on me taking 400mg at night and then the 100mg in the morning.

Have any of you switched from Seroquel to another atypical due to the nightmares? What new drug(s) did you try , and how did it work out?
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.