• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

Hi all!

I've been taking 15mg of Valium per day since April to battle anxiety and panic attacks, and have been dry for the same amount of time. I'm also an epileptic, but that has never stopped me from drinking with the Tegretol I'm taking, but somehow I haven't felt like mixing alcohol and Valium.

Last week I was invited to a Christmas Party, and mentioned this at work. I work with a recovering drug addict, and he told me that it was a really bad idea to mix the two. Somehow this weighed a lot more than my doc's warning. (I mean this poor guy was at one point mixing ecstasy with pure alcohol and shooting it straight into his veins...)

So I decided not to drink at this party, but the holidays are full of opportunities. Will I get in trouble with a beer at the Christmas Dinner or a glass of Champagne at New Years? Anyone out there with experiences either way?

Take care!

H.
There is no gravity - the earth sucks! - Bret Easton Ellis : The Rules of Attraction

#2 Dweii

Dweii

• Pip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:16 PM

Valium in combination with alcohol can make you VERY VERY drunk! I've tried this myself, and it's NOT a good idea. Actually, lots of people use Valium and other benzo's recreationally just to get drunker. It can also make you agressive, at least it does to me.

Edited to say: If you do decide to drink, drink as little as possible and make sure you have someone taking care of you.

Edited by Helena, 11 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

Waaaaiiit a minute... I knew it.

#3 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

Valium and alcohol is an official Bad Idea.

Things you can drink at the Christmas party and not have people asking you why you're not drinking:  Sparkling water with a twist of lime, sparkling cider in a champagne glass, virgin margarita, etc.

...not that you have anything to hide, but I know when I go to parties and want to have fun and relax, I do not need to answer multiple questions about why I'm not having a *real* drink.

And, knowing that if you want to drink, you will; so, please, if you are going to drink at your party, practice at home first. Then the only person you'll embarrass will be yourself.

Greeny
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#4 Kussmaul

Kussmaul

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

hey,
from experience.. one word: Blackout... ahhh, those were the days.. for real, be safe. good luck and have fun. matt
I'm a roman candle
My head is full of flames
I'm hallucinating
Hallucinating
- Elliott Smith

#5 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1266 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

hey,
from experience.. one word: Blackout... ahhh, those were the days.. for real, be safe. good luck and have fun. matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All Benzodiazapenes work on the GABA system, as does alcohol.  There is an interaction with all benzos with alcohol.

However, this interaction is highly dependent on tolerance.  If you have been taking 15mg dizaepam for 6 months, you will be tolerant to it, probably quite tolerant.

As you have been dry though, your tolerance to alcohol will be very low.

Hence, my advice to you would be go easy.  Many people who take a wide variety of psychiatric medications including benzos drink regularly.  If you drink in moderation, you should be fine as a general rule. Ie up to 2 standard drinks for a woman and 4 for a man.

If I was you, I would enjoy one, give it some time to settle in, and then perhaps have another if you feel ok. 

Dr's and PI sheets recommend that you do not mix alcohol with benzos, but it all comes down to tolerance in the end.  I wouldnt recommend, for example, that you drink a whole bottle of wine quickly or a few heavy cocktails quickly because it will probably go straight to your head and knock you around.

Sensible drinking though should be fine, but be careful as you have no tolerance to alcohol and there is an interaction.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#6 JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the replies so far!

After thinking things through I have decided to just stick to the non-alcoholic beer whenever averyone else is enjoying everything else. Luckily they (the breweries) have gotten non-alcoholic beer to taste like beer. But when will someone make a non-alcoholic wine that does not taste like grape juice? Oh how I miss a glass or four of a nice Italian red wine...

Take care out there!

H.
There is no gravity - the earth sucks! - Bret Easton Ellis : The Rules of Attraction

#7 Guest_Steve_*

Guest_Steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

SO im just starting to take Valium as well as Wellbutrin for Panic Attacks. I stopped smoking weed for the time being becuase it typically intensifies the negative feelings.. I drink socially but fear of doing to because of the interactions.. Not sure what I am going to do but I thought I would let you know. that Boiling Wine at a low boil will burn out the alcohol. I brew my own beer and to make Non Alcholic beers I go through the entire process and just before I and ready to bottle, I boil, or in my case I bake the beer at a low temp in the oven, There is something call a Hygrometer that measures the amount of alcohol in something and MIGHT help you with the Wine cravings. The lower the boil the less chance the Tannons will be preserved. but Burning of the wine and your done for.. Its delicate process but works.. Thought Id pass that along..

Consider making your own wine,, its a simple process and you can control the alcohol content...

Thanks for the replies so far!

After thinking things through I have decided to just stick to the non-alcoholic beer whenever averyone else is enjoying everything else. Luckily they (the breweries) have gotten non-alcoholic beer to taste like beer. But when will someone make a non-alcoholic wine that does not taste like grape juice? Oh how I miss a glass or four of a nice Italian red wine...

Take care out there!

H.

#8 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

The original post is from 1995, I am not sure if JustAnotherNut is still here. He/she last posted in Jan, 20010.

nf

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.