• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wakko926

wakko926

life sucks with or without me

• Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Does anyone else take B-12?  Can you take too much?  How much is enough?
Or B-1?
Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead

#2 CraZgrrl

CraZgrrl

All I wanted was a Pepsi

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

B vitamins are water soluable vitamins which means that if you take more than your body needs it will be excreted in your urine and won't build up in your system.  You'll know when this is happening because your urine will be this nuclear yellow color.  ;) However some people believe that because your kidneys have to do more work filtering out all the excess vitamin, that you could theoretically do kidney damage in the long run.  I don't know if there are any studies backing that up or not. 

B12 Info

B1 Info
"Put me back together or separate the skin from bone Leave me all the pieces, then you can leave me alone Tell me the reality is better than the dream But I found out the hard way - nothing is what it seems (I push my fingers into my) eyes It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache But it's made of all the things I have to take Jesus it never ends, it works it's way inside If the pain goes on, I'm not gonna make it! All I've got - all I've got is insane!"~Slipknot

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind~ Romans 12:2

#3 wakko926

wakko926

• Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

thanks for the info, crazgrrl!
All though I don't really understand the medical verbage I found what I needed in the links.

#4 herpie

herpie

uhh... erm... nevermind

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

With B12 it's tricky to overdose, because of absorbtion issues - that's why older people have to have B12 injected (for, say, anemia) instead of given orally.

#5 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

With B12 it's tricky to overdose, because of absorbtion issues - that's why older people have to have B12 injected (for, say, anemia) instead of given orally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey! i'm only 26!

(loves her B12 shots)

but yes, B12 is hard to absorb.  that's why it's best taken sublingually (under the tongue.)  (unless you're B12 blood levels are severly low and your doc orders shots, but that's a whole other matter.)

twinlab and some other cos make sublingual b12 "dots" they work very well for supplementing your levels.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#6 ncc1701

ncc1701

ncc1701

• Pip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

Heya,

No clear evidence re. overdose, but please don't be the test case.

;)

Always a chance of overdose, depending on your metabolism and general vitamin intake.

To clear something up:

Some people are low on B12 because their stomachs lack an enzyme (a chemical) called "intrinsic factor" that helps the body absorb B12 from food and/or supplements.

For those people, swallowing a bunch of B12 is like swallowing some water.

That's pernicious anemia.

Those people *need* injections.

*Anyone* low on B12 has to have tests to see *why.*  If diet/supplements are no help after a bit (variable, I usually say 3 months), shots help.

FWIW.

Good luck,

--ncc--
--ncc1701--

Dx: BPI with mixed episodes, social anxiety

Rx: Lamictal 300 @ 1830. Seroquel 25 @hs

Therapy: Went to the beach in a polkadot bathing suit. Once.

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a psychiatrist!" (ST:TOS:The City on the Edge of Forever)

#7 wakko926

wakko926

• Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:21 AM

From the B-12 link:

"There is some preliminary indication that vitamin B12 may be helpful in inhibiting a pre-cancerous condition in the lungs of smokers, that it might help ameliorate the symptoms of some neuropsychiatric disorders and that it might be useful in some with chronic fatigue and HIV disease. It has been suggested that vitamin B12 might help prevent some vascular diseases and breast cancer, based upon epidemiological and theoretical considerations."

I suppose this is good since I do smoke..... 

"There is some evidence that vitamin B12 can protect against hypersensitivity to sulfites. "

and on occassion have a glass of wine.........

"Claims that vitamin B12 can enhance exercise performance and that it is an "energizer" have not been tested and are based upon anecdotal accounts."

But this one has confused me..........
You hear all the time about ppl taking B-12 for it's "get up & go" effect.  I've noticed that it does help me get thru the day a little easier but no real energy boosts........

Does it help you with your energy level?

Edited by wakko926, 30 December 2005 - 08:21 AM.

#8 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

"Claims that vitamin B12 can enhance exercise performance and that it is an "energizer" have not been tested and are based upon anecdotal accounts."

But this one has confused me..........
You hear all the time about ppl taking B-12 for it's "get up & go" effect.  I've noticed that it does help me get thru the day a little easier but no real energy boosts........

Does it help you with your energy level?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get B12 shots because I have low blood levels despite taking supplements, and because I have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Do the shots help my energy level?  Oh hell yes, they are a god send.  Then again, I'm sick.  Do they enhance my exercise performance?  Heh.  Well, if my cfs ever fully goes into remission I'll let you know ;)

But, I thing, in general, when people talk about the energy from B12, it's more along the lines of what you said.  It helps you get through the day kinda stamina energy, not omg lets run a marathon kinda energy.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#9 Guest_Flying_*

Guest_Flying_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

Does anyone else take B-12?  Can you take too much?  How much is enough?
Or B-1?

My Dr. said i can not take B-12 under toung, or by mouth, so I had a leval of 112, so I started with a shot 2X week, and they have helped me breath, walk better, and I want to do something more than stay infront of the computer all the time.. They told me as long as I have good kidneys than there would not be any problem....

#10 kdbee

kdbee

my friends love my "quirks"!

• Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

I've always taken B-Complex which has B-12 in it...I can't remember why I started taking B-Complex instead of B-12...It's been so long.
I'm anemic. I wonder if that's why...
Alright. Here you go--

DX/Issues: BP2 (mixed+rapid cycling), OCD, ADD, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa (recovered), BDD, some sort of avoidant shit, really bad & constant paranoia about everything, domestic abuse survivor

Drugs: Lexapro 10, Wellbutrin 450, Abilify 15, Klonopin 2 (max 6mg/day), Adderall 20-30

Past R/X's: Lithium (tried twice), Lamictal (complete hell), Depakote, Abilify (tried twice. second time worked amazingly. AMAZINGLY! Unfortunately, I simply cannot afford it...), Luvox (tried twice), Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Geodon, Dexedrine (did nothing), Ativan (really good for social phobia), Restoril, Wellbutrin (working amazingly this time around)

Other EEG Biofeedback (worked miracles for my OCD. My compulsions are infrequent and when they happen are manageable the vast majority of the time. Obsessions still happen, not as bad and are manageable), acupuncture- I did this for about a year and a half. While it helped greatly with some problems (my screwed up digestive system, poor immune system, constant lethargy) it did nothing to improve any aspect of my mental health. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving a try :)

#11 Ashdene

Ashdene

Ashdene

• Pip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

If you want to take something you should just take a good multivitamin. Its got what you need (unless you have an absorption problem or on certain meds like ARVs). The best place to get your vitamins is through a good diet. And as people have said Vitamin B's are water soluble so most of the time you are wasting your money cause you just going to pee it out anyway and stressing out your body.
Eat a good diet, and you will get enough and more then just your Vitamin B12.

http://www.nal.usda....st/sr21w418.pdf - Food with Vitamin B12

And anaemia is not only from lack of Vitamin B12, if you taking B complex its not likely you are anaemic casue of B12. Rather check that out you may need an iron supplement.

As a dietician i usually only recommend a good multivitamin, omegas, folate in women and calcium in osteoperosis. Other nutrients all have nutrient interactions and you need to be carefull about how you take them. (not that some people don't need too, everybody is different so what is right for one person might not be right for another. There are variables to take into account (including your meds)

xoxox
Ash

Edited by Ashdene, 02 October 2009 - 12:09 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1, ADHD, dyslexic with a ton of history of EDs and its consquences

Rx: Seroquel(150mg), Lamictal(300mg), trileptal(150mg), Concerta(36mg), Prozac (40mg), Dormonocte (2mg)

Stuff I have tried: Epilim, Topamax, Rivotril, Ciprilex, Welbutrin, Ativan, Straterra, Abilify, Zolpidem, Stilnox.... Ok really got to think hard now..... eek the list keeps growing

#12 Isa

Isa

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:18 AM

If you have kidney issues, your kidney's filtering the excess might be an issue. But, for the most part you can't overdo it, according to my GP.

Same holds true for potassium and magnesium according to my cardiologist, as long as your kidneys are healthy.

By the way, my GP generally recommends 1000mcg of B12.

DX: treatment resistant MDD, anxiety, trauma related issues, myriad of physical health issues
Meds: Prozac, klonopin, and a slew of meds unrelated to MI

Meds I've tried: Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Cymbalta, Lamictal, Lithium, Risperdal, Zyprex, and I'm sure others that I've forgotten about.

Besides other things, I have cognitive issues (mild cognitive disorder w/ amnesic features). I lose my words and suffer from CRS (can't remember shit). As I tell my kids, listen to what I meant to say, not what came out. :D And if I repeat myself, please bare with me.

The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. - Khalil Gibran

#13 cheesesquid

cheesesquid

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

from what i remember if you take B12 everyday (1000mcg) it is like getting a shot every month, so it's really hard take to much of it from a pill.

i keep forgetting to ask doctors to add B12 to blood work....;)

Edited by cheesesquid, 27 December 2009 - 07:29 AM.

bipolar, currently waiting to start medication.
gluten-free since march 2009 due to possible celiac or gluten intolerance causing malabsorption and an vitamin B12 deficiency.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.