Marijuana and Remeron

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 azsteve

azsteve

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

Okay, I'm currently taking remeron 45 mgs to help me to eat but my anxiety has been heightened and the remeron isn't helping me to eat. I'm not eating very much lately. I have no appetite and feel nauseous a lot. My doctor and I talked about putting me on paxil last month but I've been reluctant to take it again. I'd like to do the "natural" healing but I'm afraid it's just voodoo (my mind is weak). Anyhow, for the time being I've tossed around smoking marijuana to help me to gain an appetite. Does anyone know if smoking marijuana and taking remeron is harmful?

Steve

#2 scarlet_faery

scarlet_faery

I want my innocence back ~ Emilie Autumn

• Pip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

My Pdoc and I talked about this subject and he said that some doctors actually recommend "partaking" for anorexics because of the "munchies".  Now, I'm not going to get in trouble for saying this, am I?

I'm not the doctor, he said it, not me.

Does anyone know if smoking marijuana and taking remeron is harmful?

That, I don't know.  You'd have to do some serious research on that subject.

Edited by scarlet_faery, 10 June 2005 - 11:10 PM.

What is our mistress demanding?
The Truth
Well, I hate to break it to you.
Life
is complex
Fear
can be hard to wash off
Anger
can be heavy
but with french fries and cake,
The whole world may actually improve
To prove it
lean back
and let the domino effect begin.
Goodbye, Goth girl! ~ Emilie Autumn

"You are beautiful, no matter what they say, words can't bring you down..." ~ Christina Aguilera

"She's been everybody else's girl, maybe one day she'll be her own..." ~ Tori Amos

Im just a fucked up girl looking for her own piece of mind.  Dont assign me yours. ~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Posted Image

#3 herpie

herpie

uhh... erm... nevermind

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:06 PM

My Pdoc and I talked about this subject and he said that some doctors actually recommend "partaking" for anorexics because of the "munchies".  Now, I'm not going to get in trouble for saying this, am I?

Well, I think Remeron is much better at that :-)

#4 Guest_Guest_Chris_*_*

Guest_Guest_Chris_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

Okay, I'm currently taking remeron 45 mgs to help me to eat but my anxiety has been heightened and the remeron isn't helping me to eat. I'm not eating very much lately. I have no appetite and feel nauseous a lot. My doctor and I talked about putting me on paxil last month but I've been reluctant to take it again. I'd like to do the "natural" healing but I'm afraid it's just voodoo (my mind is weak). Anyhow, for the time being I've tossed around smoking marijuana to help me to gain an appetite. Does anyone know if smoking marijuana and taking remeron is harmful?

Steve

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 Guest_Guest_Chris_*_*

Guest_Guest_Chris_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Steve,

Don't do it!  I combined the two for months in '97-'98, and I'm still paying for it in a big way.  It caused serious, irreparable, physical harm. Marijuana alone can be both a good antidepressant and it's great for the appetite.  Just don't combine them.  If you really need an antidepresssant too, try wellbutrin, or any SSRI like Prozac, Zoloft, or Paxil, but don't mix Remeron and Marijuana!

#6 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

man when i used to smoke pot id NEED the remeron to make me fall asleep! haha...

i think the worst combination is the SSRI and weed... the remeron and weed was ok for me but i only took 15mg.  not that im advocating it, but it was fine with me..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nardil 60mg/day, mirtazapine 15mg/day

#7 Alissha

Alissha

Crazy animal lady

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

I'm taking 30 mg of Remeron and have been for over a year.  I do toke up with it sometimes and the worst thing for me is the combined munchies, I really have to watch what I eat at night.  Pot is a really good drug for helping me sleep/eat with no guilt, combined with the Remeron I have the ability to turn into an eating machine.

I'm not advocating this strategy for others, but I haven't had a problem so far.  Of course, pot was my self medicating drug of choice so I have had some (hah!) experience with it.
Dx: Bipolar 2 with rapid cycling. Maybe an anxiety disorder. ED NOS. SI.

Meds:Current cocktail: 425 mg Lamictal, Lithium 450 mg (max possible dose for me), Clonazepam 0.5 mg BID. Also, Claritin or Reactine for allergies, ventelin, flovent and albuterol for asthma, immitrex for migraines.

Previous meds: Effexor, Prozac, Remeron, Celexa, Paxil, Epival, Topamax, Risperdal, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Immovane.

#8 anafagodma

anafagodma

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hasn't it been cited several times on this site that the higher your dosage of remeron goes, the fewer side effects you get from it? I.e. people tend to have the most prominent side effects at the fairly typical dosage of 30mg.

If your doctor wasn't aware of this (and it sounds like he wasn't, since he upped your Remeron to the largest single-dosage unit on the market to "help you eat"), maybe you should let him know.

#9 Guest_kat kaboom_*

Guest_kat kaboom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

I take remeron for sleep...prob about 3-5 days a week..my dr gave to me because I was buying xananx off the street for sleep or a bottle of liquor in extreme cases.15 mg knocks me on my ass so I take about a half of pill.I like to smoke pot too and combing the two together helps me achieve a very relaxed state of mind.jus make sure you are ready for bed before you smoke and take the meds,so put on your pajamas,turn of the lights,check the stove,smoke a couple hits of weed and pass out watching some t.v.
I also take 200 mg lamictal daily to help control manic episodes.I think the remeron helps with my depression and defiantley with the falling asleep issues I was having.

#10 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13170 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

I take remeron for sleep...prob about 3-5 days a week..my dr gave to me because I was buying xananx off the street for sleep or a bottle of liquor in extreme cases.15 mg knocks me on my ass so I take about a half of pill.I like to smoke pot too and combing the two together helps me achieve a very relaxed state of mind.jus make sure you are ready for bed before you smoke and take the meds,so put on your pajamas,turn of the lights,check the stove,smoke a couple hits of weed and pass out watching some t.v.
I also take 200 mg lamictal daily to help control manic episodes.I think the remeron helps with my depression and defiantley with the falling asleep issues I was having.

For the maximum antidepressant effect you really need to take the Remeron every day.

I doubt that smoking a couple hits of weed every few nights hurts anything. If you were smoking a blunt to yourself every night you might have a problem.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#11 Moody

Moody

my brain hurts

• Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

I would ask your doctor about lowering your remeron dose, unless there is some reason you need to be taking 45mg. Remeron is usually more sedating and hunger inducing at lower doses. You might feel a lot calmer and hungrier if you only took 15mg. Higher doses supposedly work better for depression.

I dont smoke pot so I cant help you there.
DX: Bipolar II, mixed states

#12 Klaein

Klaein

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Steve

I have used medicinal cannabis with remeron with no problems, but remeron alone is kinda like being on it anyway ,lol.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.