Can Wellbutrin lower serotonin levels?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

I only started taking it on Tuesday and I've also experienced some stress, sleep deprivation, and depression triggers this week.  But I can't help but wonder: If you raise dopamine levels (which WellB does, right?), do your serotonin levels go down in response?  I'm pretty sure I read this on Dr. Amen's website.  This would be important for me to know because serotonin reuptake inhibition works well to quell depressive feelings and thoughts for me.

Edited by hollywoodfreaks, 13 January 2006 - 10:05 PM.

dx: Major depression Current rx: Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Xanax XR .5mg. Just started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily, tapering off of 200mg Lamictal. For sleep: trazodone. Past rx: Lexapro, Zoloft, Cytomel.

#2 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

No Dpaamine should not effect your serotonin levels.  That wouldn't make sense to me if it did.  I take both Cymbalta and WB and I fell awesome.  WB will effect sleep for the first few weeks that your start it, its a known side effect.

#3 Kalifornia

Kalifornia

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

I only started taking it on Tuesday and I've also experienced some stress, sleep deprivation, and depression triggers this week.  But I can't help but wonder: If you raise dopamine levels (which WellB does, right?), do your serotonin levels go down in response?  I'm pretty sure I read this on Dr. Amen's website.  This would be important for me to know because serotonin reuptake inhibition works well to quell depressive feelings and thoughts for me.

The same thing happened to me when I started taking Wellbutrin.  It eventually went away after my head got used to the stuff, but everytime I went up with the dose it happened again to some degree.  Give it a few weeks and see if it goes away.

#4 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Thanks, Kalifornia, I was just thinking the same thing.  I just remembered that something similar happened when I started Lexapro and almost every time I raised the dose.  Maybe the same thing is happening with the WellB.
dx: Major depression Current rx: Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Xanax XR .5mg. Just started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily, tapering off of 200mg Lamictal. For sleep: trazodone. Past rx: Lexapro, Zoloft, Cytomel.

#5 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

You talking about sleep issues or serotonin response?

#6 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

keep in mind that wellbutrin (inc. metabolites!!) is also a weak serotonin reuptake inhibitor.  so it probably varies a lot depending on how much that affects you.

i think it helps serotonin but not much.

Edited by zsandoz, 14 January 2006 - 08:31 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nardil 60mg/day, mirtazapine 15mg/day

#7 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

keep in mind that wellbutrin (inc. metabolites!!) is also a weak serotonin reuptake inhibitor.  so it probably varies a lot depending on how much that affects you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?  I thought it pretty much didn't touch serotonin and that was why it is ok to take it with SSRIs.

#8 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:44 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?  I thought it pretty much didn't touch serotonin and that was why it is ok to take it with SSRIs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it does hit serotonin but its very mild.  i think the parent compound (bupropion) definately inhibits reuptake of serotonin weakly, so probably the other metabolites do too.

heres a link:

http://www.preskorn....lumns/0001.html

in other words, yeah it is safe to take with SSRIs but it still does affect serotonin a little, just not enough to be a cause to worry when you combine them.

Edited by zsandoz, 14 January 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

zsandoz is correct.  But not enough to cause serotonin syndrome.  I was taking 90mg Cymbalta which is Serotonin and Norepinephrin and WB which is Dopamine and does have a bit of serotonin.

#10 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13108 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

Yeah. The direct effect buproperion on 5-HT is largely inconsequential from what I gather.  Some ups and down in the early days of being on the med are pretty normal, particularly if you're on the SR or instant release.  If you continue to have problems and are not already on it, see about taking the XL formulation.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#11 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yeah. The direct effect buproperion on 5-HT is largely inconsequential from what I gather.  Some ups and down in the early days of being on the med are pretty normal, particularly if you're on the SR or instant release.  If you continue to have problems and are not already on it, see about taking the XL formulation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree the XL is the best one, especially on the side effects.  i think if the XL doesnt work though to try the SR tho, because they "felt" different to me when i took them.  for ADD-like symptoms i bet the SR one is better

#12 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on liver enzymes/metabolism you can have ups and downs on the XL
as well. Initially, it cut out on me at about the 18 hr mark.  That just shows that
for some people it will take longer for circulating medication levels to stabilize.
Like with some antibiotics, I could see where a doctor might initially or even
periodically overmedicate just to get levels up into a working range in a
reasonable time.

As to bupropion and 5HT/DA balance, my impression is that while it doesn't raise
5HT levels much by itself, it does inhibit them from going down (another good
source for insomnia - 5HT&NA level drops in the evening are part of the "go to
sleep" signalling). So, while the D receptors might be signalling an above-usual
level of dopamine in circulation, the 5HT autoreceptors might be signalling that
there's plenty of serotonin on-hand to compensate - no need to release more.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.