how much klonopin is too much?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 delicate

delicate

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

;) I realize that klonopin isn't as "potent" as xanax.. but thats all I have right now... say you down some booze and add some klonopin how much do you actually need to .. "fall asleep" ?

Thanks
love is like a barren place and reaching out for human faith is like a journey i just don't have a map for

#2 Libby

Libby

~!~

• Pip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

If you're downing booze, don't take Klonopin.  If you're taking Klonopin, don't drink booze.  But you already know this.
I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes
because I know I'm not dumb...
and I also know that I'm not blonde.
~Dolly Parton

dx: severe, refractory double depression. GAD. OCD, paranoia, occasional psychosis.
Depersonalization and anxiety out the wazoo, no matter which meds I take.

current rx: Cymbalta 90mg as of 11/12, Trazodone 400mg as of 4/6/07. Clonazepam .5mg PRN.

Recent Titration: Seroquel 100mg>200mg>now 300mg>back to 200mg as of 11/10,
up to 300mg as of 11/29; up to 400 mg Seroquel as of 1/19/07.
Tapering down on Seroquel and adding Trazodone as of 3/26/07, much to my chagrin.
Now down to zero SQ, up to 400mg Traz. Can't sleep, but my girth is getting smaller.

And now: Stopped Traz. Added Navane. tripped off into some dissociation/psychosis shit. Off Navane. Back on 1,000mg Seroquel. Welcome to my nightmare.

previous rx: Tofranil, Desyrel, Pamelor, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin,
Neurontin, Luvox, Serzone, Remeron, Effexor, Lexapro. Navane, Ativan, Inderal, Lithium.

#3 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

If you're downing booze, don't take Klonopin.  If you're taking Klonopin, don't drink booze.  But you already know this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a link to the benzo info page at the top of the benzo forum. Basically, it addresses the different actions benzos have. For me, I went from Ativan (sleepy stuff, plus anti-anxiety) to Klonopin (anxiety only) I think that's how it goes. Check out that page. But Libby's right, benzos and alcohol is never a good idea--even though many of us have and do still do it. On the few occassions I have had a drink with Klonopin, the alcohol did NOTHING to potentiate the K. FWIW.

I have trouble sleeping too, and I'm going to ask pdoc about trazedone. I've taken it before, and it knocked me out. Like a sledgehammer. And from what I understand, it's relatively safe--in the SSRI category (I think). But be careful, please? I'm convinced alcohol does nothing good and a lot bad when mixed with psych meds, whether we actually "feel" it or not.

Suz
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#4 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

What is your rx for Klonopin?  You shouldn't be drinking with klonopin !!!!

#5 The_Kenosha_Kid

The_Kenosha_Kid

Master Shake, how can I be more like you?

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:39 AM

;) I realize that klonopin isn't as "potent" as xanax.. but thats all I have right now... say you down some booze and add some klonopin how much do you actually need to .. "fall asleep" ?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Delicate, Are you okay? "Fall asleep"?  :P  

There are far WORSE things than death that can happen from booze + klonopin. Those things are also more likely to happen than death. Benzos are not the same as quaaludes, which they no longer make.

[Or am I completely misunderstanding your use of  :)   combined with scare-quotes surrounding fall asleep?]

Edited by The_Kenosha_Kid, 20 January 2006 - 02:42 AM.

Bipolar, panic attacks: 1500 Depakote, .5 Clonazepam, Ambien

#6 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Of course, booze and K are bad bedmates. Don't go to sleep with them together in bed!

;) I think you're saying something dangerous. If you WANT to know, my dad killed himself with a cocktail containing K. He took his whole bottle of 1mgs and MY whole bottle of 1mgs. And 2 bottles of WB, and another bottle or two of some CNS shit.

I found him in a fetal position on the floor.

Not a second in my life goes by without my heart breaking over him. I'd go through 1000x the hell of mental distress I've already lived through to have him in my life again. I'd do it all over- the manias and wrist cutting- to have him back.

Ask me if you ever think at all that you will solve anything by putting in the chips. He just left me his rotten mess of situations (as exectutor of his estate) and a hole in my soul that will never heal.

Melinda
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#7 maybetinymaybesad

maybetinymaybesad

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

not to be repetitive but don't mix benzos and alcohol....two respiratory depressants=very dangerous. many college deaths that involve alcohol also involve opiates (another respiratory depressant) or benzos. somehow there is a synergistic effect.

but i hate it when colleges are like alcohol and drugs are going to make you die! i'm, like, no but ignorance/stupidity about what can be mixed and in what doses does.
dx: substance dependence and mood/anxiety issues
rx: paxil, abilify, baclofen

#8 Breeze

Breeze

Barty

• Pip
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

Here is a rule of thumb:

If you are getting drowsy from klonopin? Then you are taking too much. Try a half a pill. Sometimes a whole will not do the trick because you are too stressed? And sometimes you will feel like you are falling asleep.

I take all my doses in half pills. It works fine, you can take another half a little sooner, or not at all, and it's easier to get off of them when you do it this way.

Benzos are not the same asquaaludes, which they no longer make.

Ah, those were the days......

Breeze
Best to speak kindly, act with care, lest your tomorrow be filled with fear

#9 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Benzos are not the same as quaaludes,

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We called them "Disco Biscuits"...
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#10 Guest_FrannyNZooey_*

Guest_FrannyNZooey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

Of course, booze and K are bad bedmates. Don't go to sleep with them together in bed!

;) I think you're saying something dangerous. If you WANT to know, my dad killed himself with a cocktail containing K. He took his whole bottle of 1mgs and MY whole bottle of 1mgs. And 2 bottles of WB, and another bottle or two of some CNS shit.

Not a second in my life goes by without my heart breaking over him. I'd go through 1000x the hell of mental distress I've already lived through to have him in my life again. I'd do it all over- the manias and wrist cutting- to have him back.

Ask me if you ever think at all that you will solve anything by putting in the chips. He just left me his rotten mess of situations (as exectutor of his estate) and a hole in my soul that will never heal.

Melinda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melinda, I am so very sorry for all your pain. I am on the other side, I saved up about 3 months of 1 mg of Klonopin, plus other, and had taken after a night of drinking a very lot, knowing it was the night I was going to kill myself.
I was found, and by all accounts should have died. I was brought back, then flushed and hooked with many IV's for couple days.
My children still do not see me and this happen just over two years ago.
The pain is still too fresh for them, and I am now wanting to make up every moment to them.
I pray and pray, and I am more lonely than ever, but nothing would make me cause that pain again.
I lived to see their faces.
Now I must live to make it up, somehow.
So, anyone that thinks of suicide, I hope hears your pain, and the pain of those that went thru with it but did not succeed and see now what a horrible mistake they made.
And just hope they can make it up in this life time.
Bottom line it is not all about you in this world, no matter how bad you think you feel, suicide is the worse most horrible thing to leave on others.

Aly

#11 Libby

Libby

~!~

• Pip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quaaludes were my drug of choice back then.  I hated speed or any variation thereof.  Ironic since I was depressed. 
I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes
because I know I'm not dumb...
and I also know that I'm not blonde.
~Dolly Parton

dx: severe, refractory double depression. GAD. OCD, paranoia, occasional psychosis.
Depersonalization and anxiety out the wazoo, no matter which meds I take.

current rx: Cymbalta 90mg as of 11/12, Trazodone 400mg as of 4/6/07. Clonazepam .5mg PRN.

Recent Titration: Seroquel 100mg>200mg>now 300mg>back to 200mg as of 11/10,
up to 300mg as of 11/29; up to 400 mg Seroquel as of 1/19/07.
Tapering down on Seroquel and adding Trazodone as of 3/26/07, much to my chagrin.
Now down to zero SQ, up to 400mg Traz. Can't sleep, but my girth is getting smaller.

And now: Stopped Traz. Added Navane. tripped off into some dissociation/psychosis shit. Off Navane. Back on 1,000mg Seroquel. Welcome to my nightmare.

previous rx: Tofranil, Desyrel, Pamelor, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin,
Neurontin, Luvox, Serzone, Remeron, Effexor, Lexapro. Navane, Ativan, Inderal, Lithium.

#12 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hope you are not referring to overdosing.  this combination (benzo + alcohol) is rarely fatal alone but highly dangerous (i.e. blackouts, maybe you wake up in jail or get hit by a car).  and rarely yes it is fatal, because of the CNS depressant property of both drugs. 

and if you mean just fall asleep as in bed time i think the combination can do the opposite and cause insomnia. 

:)

not a good idea
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nardil 60mg/day, mirtazapine 15mg/day

#13 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Yeah avoid the alcohol.  I take .5mg to fall aslepp.  But I'm rx a regular dose daily.

#14 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quaaludes were my drug of choice back then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, I wish Quaaludes were still available!

Erika
Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#15 The_Kenosha_Kid

The_Kenosha_Kid

Master Shake, how can I be more like you?

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

I'm surprised anyone survives adolescence: I remember an afternoon in 1985 when a friend & I decided we wanted to try Quaaludes. What was all the fuss about? we wanted to know. After dozens of calls and numerous dead-ends, we learned that they became Schedule I the year before!
Bipolar, panic attacks: 1500 Depakote, .5 Clonazepam, Ambien

#16 lei

lei

• Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

the only time i ever had a lude my bf and i wound up doing it on a train.
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human. 2001 Tool

"In a world of hate, love is the ultimate protest." - Chuck D

#17 delicate

delicate

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

yet another reason I wish I were around in the 60s/70s
love is like a barren place and reaching out for human faith is like a journey i just don't have a map for

#18 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

lol

#19 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

Melinda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melinda, I am so very sorry for all your pain. I am on the other side, I saved up about 3 months of 1 mg of Klonopin, plus other, and had taken after a night of drinking a very lot, knowing it was the night I was going to kill myself.
I was found, and by all accounts should have died. I was brought back, then flushed and hooked with many IV's for couple days.
My children still do not see me and this happen just over two years ago.
The pain is still too fresh for them, and I am now wanting to make up every moment to them.
I pray and pray, and I am more lonely than ever, but nothing would make me cause that pain again.
I lived to see their faces.
Now I must live to make it up, somehow.
So, anyone that thinks of suicide, I hope hears your pain, and the pain of those that went thru with it but did not succeed and see now what a horrible mistake they made.
And just hope they can make it up in this life time.
Bottom line it is not all about you in this world, no matter how bad you think you feel, suicide is the worse most horrible thing to leave on others.

Aly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for sharing and for living, Aly. I wish my dad were here to reaffirm the way you have. I'm very happy you're with us still.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#20 robotlove29

robotlove29

i'm only happy when it rains

• Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

the only time i ever had a lude my bf and i wound up doing it on a train.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HA! This sounds like Risky Business to me......
Damn I wish I could've experienced the 80's as an adult.  Was born in 80 so I was just a kid.  Back to the point though, Xanax + alcohol = blackout special.  Do not try this at home. ;)

I've mixed plenty of powerful painkillers and other drugs with alcohol (SO ashamed of this) and let me tell you, benzos actually caused me to black out  and cause trouble more than the rest.  It's a big mistake.  Don't do it.
been dx'ed as several things, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder (dead on), bipolar II, shcizoaffective disorder depressive type, OCD.....but am sticking with MDD and GAD.

past meds; effexor, zoloft, prozac, seroquel, invega, rispirdal, haldol, lunesta, xanax
current meds; Lexapro, Lamictal, Klonopin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.