Narcotic cravings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skaz

skaz

• Pip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

I was on various narcotics over the last 4 months.  At one point I was prescribed 40mg of oxycontin twice a day.  I had back surgery 2 months ago and the pain is not that bad anymore.  I wanted to get off the oxy as soon as I didn't need it.  With the help of my family doctor, I slowly tapered off of oxycontin a little over one week ago.  I feel down!  I keep thinking of calling my family doc and requesting more oxycontin, even though I don't need it.  Now I know first hand how awful getting off of narcotics can be.  Does anyone have any advice?  How long does it take to get over the stuff?

Edited by skaz, 29 January 2006 - 11:15 PM.

Always fall in with what you're asked to accept.
Fall in with it
and turn it your way.
-Robert Frost

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar.
-Wordsworth

BP1 GAD
Rx:Lithobid 900mg(discontinuing) Trileptal600mg and climbing ativan 1mg prn : Effexor 150mg and climbing.

#2 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

I was on various narcotics over the last 4 months.  At one point I was on 40mg of oxycontin twice a day.  I had back surgery 2 months ago and the pain is not that bad anymore.  I wanted to get off the oxy as soon as I didn't need it.  With the help of my family doctor, I slowly tapered off of oxycontin a little over one week ago and I feel down!  I keep thinking of calling my family doc and requesting more oxycontin, even though I don't need it.  Now I know first hand how awful getting off of narcotics can be.  Does anyone have any advice?  How long does it take to get over the stuff?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man you are amongst fiends, and that is NOT a typo.

Oxys are bad. You know that. They won't give them to you anyway. I have a 30 year history of substance abuse. It's pretty well under control, but when I take stims for ADD I take em all, like m&ms.

I had back surgery 1.5 years ago. I'm on SSDI because it rendered me, well, disabled. I HAVE to stay away from narcotics. And illegal drugs like meth, coke. Plus I'm getting to old to get them anyway. lol...

Hag in there, go to an NA meeting. Your doctor wont give them to you. Consider yourself lucky, all I got was percocet.

I have learned to live with the chronic pain. If you have any neuropathy at all and are depressed, Cymbalta is your drug. My left leg is literally atrophying from nerve compression and the cymbalta helps a lot.

Good luck, PM me anytime when your jonesing. There's a few others, a lot others whole will reply too.

You would loose the craving. I had a dope dealer that I know personally want to sell me an oxy for 30 bucks! Uh, no thanks, I'll just go chew on my hand or beat someone up.

You're not alone Oxy's are awesome. Requiem for a Dream, baby. That's what's next.

Henry Rollins is my personal jesus, he is an avowed antidrug hardcore rocker. You probably know that. Black Flag, The Rollins Band. He has some funny riffs about drugs in his spoken word stuff. It really does derail anything good we're trying to do.

I'm seeing a surgeon this month, actually two (one for a hysterectomy---he runs screaming from the room!) Heh. But the other guy specializes in revisions. So I'm keeping my fingers x'd.

Edited by saturnine, 29 January 2006 - 08:32 PM.

diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#3 skaz

skaz

• Pip
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

saturnine:  Thanks for the reply.  I really hope that your surgery goes well and that there can be a solution for your compressed nerve.  When I was taking the oxy it was great, it helped with the pain and I felt good.  I guess I'll have to pay my dues.  I had hoped to avoid feeling like I am by using the oxycontin in a responsible manner.  I called my pdoc even though she didn't prescribe the oxycontin today and talked to her nurse.  Her nurse said that I am going to feel depressed coming off oxycontin, even though I tapered off of it.  I just can't believe how shitty I feel.  I'm numb, I have no appetite, I can't concentrate, and I feel disconected.  I just hope that I'm not going into a serious depression.
Always fall in with what you're asked to accept.
Fall in with it
and turn it your way.
-Robert Frost

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar.
-Wordsworth

BP1 GAD
Rx:Lithobid 900mg(discontinuing) Trileptal600mg and climbing ativan 1mg prn : Effexor 150mg and climbing.

#4 fred-c

fred-c

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

skaz - I have had a prescription narcotic abuse problem on and off for 25 years. To make a long story short, my last episode was 2 years ago. I tapered off morphine.  It takes a fair amount of time to get over. (For me it will never be over). Two years now and I still crave it. For now take one day at a time. Try to exercise and get fresh air. Try to do some things to get your mind off the drugs. Little by little you will feel better.
fred

#5 firedancer

firedancer

*sigh*

• Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

Amen to Henry Rollins (I love Black Flag)!

Edited by firedancer, 31 January 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Disability after one try!! How did that happen???

Please be nice to me, I'm a blood donor (conquering my fear of needles one pint at a time).

Dx: BPII (and everything that comes along with it), Intractable Migraines (that means 3-5/week). Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic seizures 7/07

Current Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Zanaflex

Past Rx: Prozac, Paxil/CR, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Ambien/CR, Wellbutrin XL, Keppra, Topamax, Effexor/XR, Neurontin, Depakote ER, Eskalith CR, Zonegran, Trazadone, Xanax, Klonopin, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Trileptal, Ablify, Geodon, Lunesta, Doxepin, Skelaxin, Flexiril, Verapamil, Lithium Carb, amitiptylin, triptans (can't take 'em), pain meds

be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind - dr. seuss (a doctor that i trust)

Posted Image

#6 crh131

crh131

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

I've quit taking pain killers when I was pregnant almost 3 yrs ago.  I had STRONG cravings and depression until after I delivered and was put on wellbutrin.  It killed the cravings for everything,..even alcohol and "the munchies."  I was even able to take a small amt of percocets when I had my surgery and had no problem taking them as prescribed and not abusing the small scrip I had.  AMAZING. 
I had tried to quit one other time before that during my 1st pregnancy,..made it thru it clean, but started gobbling them down right after I delievered. 
I really think that the wellbutrin helped me. 
The only strange thing is that I still get user dreams every once and awhile.  Like I dream thre are hundreds of pills in my purse,..or that I am dr. chasing again.  I wake up relieved that I am out of the cycle and that it was only a dream.

GOOD LUCK and hang in there,..I swear it gets easier.  It is actually to the point that when I had to take those narcotics when i had my surgery,..they made me sick and dizzy.  No buzz now.  Maybe bc of he wellbutrin as well,..but after 15 yrs of addiction,..I finially have ZERO desire to abuse anything. 

#7 divinedesign21

divinedesign21

Pink Panda

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

My experience went like this. I was addicted to Heroin for a couple years. I went cold turkey and it sucked. Then I got addicted to Morphine and that was WORSE than heroin withdrawals. So I know what you're going through. The only way I was able to get off the morphine was to taper down very, very slowly and take an antidepressant.
I'M NOT CRAZY-I'm JUST A LITTLE UNWELL
Dx: Bipolar Disorder/Borderline Personality Disorder

600 mg. Trileptal, 50 mg. Zoloft , 150 mg. Trazodone

#8 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

Amen to Henry Rollins (I love Black Flag)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I missed this before...we ARE sisters. Though no Black Flag during a migraine! I actually prefer Henry's spoken word, prose, poetry and acting. My head just hurts too much all the time for BF and Rollins band.

But I have some of his books and he inspires me to be strong. To rock on--no matter what. And I don't need to be wasted to do it.

S9
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.