9 replies to this topic

#1 Breeze

Breeze

Barty

• Pip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

OK:

I am really pissed off about my pharmacy right now and wondering if I have a legal leg to stand on. I brought in a prescription dated and signed that day by my doctor. The insurance company rejected it because it was early, but I thought my doctor had ok'd the early pick up. His nurse had told me in a conversation three days prior that upon my visit he would write me a script a few days early.

I explained this to my pharmacy and they in turn, called my doctor(without my knowledge) who realized that he had given me the meds too early. I am new to this doctor and we have started off poorly. I had just left his office where we had straightened out a bunch of these issues and I was feeling good about my visit, I really thought that he meant for me to fill the prescription, even though it was early and add it to what I had.

Well, the pharmacy told me they would either do an over ride on the insurance or let me pay for it privately. Cool.

I get a call from my doctor instead, and during the call he says he didn't realize how early he had given me the script. He asks how many I have left, I tell him and he goes ape shit. I have taken too many - these are pain meds. Nuff said. I should say I have been on them for years for a back condition - please no lectures. This was a new doctor who threw me right into pyshical therapy before he took x-rays. Had he done the xrays first, I would not have been in the sky rocketing pain I was in, and I would not have been over on my allotment. But this is neither here not there.

He screams at me on the phone about my usage and how I could die. Drama abounded. In my confusion and ANXIETY I didn't realize that I had a stash of 20 some odd pills at work. This too is water under the bridge.

THE QUESTION IS:

With all this privacy crap you sign now, can the pharmacy just call the doctor without you knowing? Does anyone know anything about this? I have been going to this pharmacy for years and the little bitch that set me up has to see my face tomorrow (or not) and I want to know my rights before I talk to the owner.

ANY ADVICE????

Edited by Breeze, 12 June 2005 - 07:01 PM.

Best to speak kindly, act with care, lest your tomorrow be filled with fear

#2 ethereal

ethereal

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:16 PM

With all this privacy crap you sign now, can the pharmacy just call the doctor without you knowing? Does anyone know anything about this? I have been going to this pharmacy for years and the little bitch that set me up has to see my face tomorrow (or not) and I want to know my rights before I talk to the owner.

ANY ADVICE????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. The pharmacy can call your doctor without your permission. I've had that happen many times.

#3 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

If your Rx was a pain killer, if it was any kind of narcotic pain killer, then a pharmacist may call your doctor to confirm the Rx due to being paranoid. Why? Pain killers these days are being watched very carefully by the DEA, especially oxycotin. So many doctors and pharmacists are very careful in documenting/confirming an Rx before it is dispensed. For some of the Schedule II subtances a Rx has to be written in triplicate (carbonless copies) so that one stays with the doctor, one goes to the pharmacist, and in some states one copy is saved on file or goes to the DEA in order to keep track of doctors and pharmacists who are writing and filling Rxs. So it may not have been just about you getting an early refill, it could also be a case of the pharmacist wanting to cover his ass. 

I had to speak with a DEA agaent because one of the patients said that her GP was giving her large amounts of oxycotin. I had no choice but to bring the information to the DEA's attention, or the doc I was working for could have got in trouble. The patient's name was kept confidential but not the GPs name. The GP was later arrested but not before he nearly lost his mind having to detox himself cold turkey from oxycotin because he could no longer write illegal Rxs to feed his own habit.

So it may just be due to the policing of narcortics these days.

Erika

Edited by Erika, 13 June 2005 - 07:35 PM.

Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#4 Bryan

Bryan

• Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

So the DEA is especially monitoring medications containing oxycodone (Percocet, OxyContin, Percodan) because they are Schedule II narcotics.

So what happens?  Prescriptions for hydrocodone (Vicodin) have been on the rise.  As a matter of fact, Vicodin is the most commonly prescribed pill for pain (and most commonly abused).

#5 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

So the DEA is especially monitoring medications containing oxycodone (Percocet, OxyContin, Percodan) because they are Schedule II narcotics.

So what happens?  Prescriptions for hydrocodone (Vicodin) have been on the rise.  As a matter of fact, Vicodin is the most commonly prescribed pill for pain (and most commonly abused).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just writing what I know from personal experience and a very uncomfortable interview with a DEA agent. I don't know what is going to happen to other pain killers or their abuse factor. It was just soem FYI
Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#6 Beth

Beth

Depression: my best friend and my worst enemy.

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:30 PM

It was probably due to the insurance not accepting an early refill.  It's not illegal at all for a pharmacy to check in with the doctor when they're unsure about things relating to a prescription.  Don't worry too much about it.  Ask the pharmacy why they called your doctor, and/or ask your doctor about it.  It's usually a problem between any combination of the pharmacy, your doctor, or your insurance.  Unfortunately there are too many anal rules that they must adhere to and check up on with each other.
There is no genius free from some tincture of madness. - Seneca.

Dx: Bipolar II
Rx: 100mg Lamictal, 75mg Seroquel

#7 doghappy

doghappy

Myrna: I read you were shot five times in the tabloids; Thin Man: Nonsense. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

I'm more concerned with your pdoc screaming at you. How has that worked out?
Quick Bio: BPI, ultrarapid cycler (at times). I take Lithium, Geodon, Topamax, Phenytoin, Seroquel, Provigil, Levothyroxin, Namenda, Celexa (1 mg)

"We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full." Marcel Proust

#8 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3600 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:46 PM

Edited by MiaB, 12 August 2014 - 03:05 AM.

Dx and Rx are on my profile.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

42  (Douglas Adams)

#9 readupon

readupon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

Our HIPPA rights are non existent; they read essentially, we pharmacists can't violate your rights unless we feel like it.  Honestly, pharmacists are more of a problem than the police force; my dying father (lung cancer) was red flagged as a doctor shopper bc the Pharmacists (note: NOT a DR with oncology training) decided the doctor had written too high a script.  There are tons of good pharmacists out there but if you think you have the right to violate HIPPA (which you have made into toilet paper-some pharmacists) because you are so smart, why didn't you learn some medicine to actually help people.  Seems like an incredible inferiority complex, like you are always trying to second guess the doc.

I especially love the argument of yeah I violated your rights but its ok bc it involves narcotics.  Frankly, I do not know that I would be upset if we abolished HIPPA; it's already worthless.  You have no rights if you are on PM.  Sorry to ramble but it is so arrogant for a pharmacist to think that they know more than the doctors that trained longer!  There is no "upper ceiling" to opiate tolerance.  Anyone in the business to take away these illusionary rights we have should not be a pharmacist.  A Pharma has few jobs; dispense meds, work with insurance, and double check that lethal doses may not have accidentally been written by doc.  That's all!!!  Sorry Guys 

#10 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Our HIPPA rights are non existent; they read essentially, we pharmacists can't violate your rights unless we feel like it.  Honestly, pharmacists are more of a problem than the police force; my dying father (lung cancer) was red flagged as a doctor shopper bc the Pharmacists (note: NOT a DR with oncology training) decided the doctor had written too high a script.  There are tons of good pharmacists out there but if you think you have the right to violate HIPPA (which you have made into toilet paper-some pharmacists) because you are so smart, why didn't you learn some medicine to actually help people.  Seems like an incredible inferiority complex, like you are always trying to second guess the doc.

I especially love the argument of yeah I violated your rights but its ok bc it involves narcotics.  Frankly, I do not know that I would be upset if we abolished HIPPA; it's already worthless.  You have no rights if you are on PM.  Sorry to ramble but it is so arrogant for a pharmacist to think that they know more than the doctors that trained longer!  There is no "upper ceiling" to opiate tolerance.  Anyone in the business to take away these illusionary rights we have should not be a pharmacist.  A Pharma has few jobs; dispense meds, work with insurance, and double check that lethal doses may not have accidentally been written by doc.  That's all!!!  Sorry Guys

Pharmacists are actually trained better in how medications work and interact with each other. When I have a complex question about my medications and how they interact, I call my pharmacist first.

I have great trust in my doctors because they are more familiar with what medications will be better suited to treat my conditions.

I have great trust in my pharmacist because they are more familiar with how medications interact, what contraindications to be aware of and what to be aware of when starting a new medication.

My mother has her master's in gerontological nursing and my uncle is a pharmacist, they both always have recommended this strategy and it has never failed me- my doctors often feel this way as well.  When I talk to my pharmacist [the actual pharmacist, not one of their assistants] he pretty much never has to look at a PDR.  When I have talked to my psychiatrist about complex interactions or similar, they often have to look at a PDR or similar reference.

A pharmacist does much more than you think, and you should be really thankful if you find a good one.

EDITED: This is a necro thread. Fucking shit, still leaving the other stuff because it's worthwhile info anyway.

Edited by LunaRufina, 11 August 2014 - 11:54 PM.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.