Going cold turkey off Lamictal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 solstar

solstar

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

My doctor's nurse told me to just stop taking Lamictal because of a rash.  Has anyone stopped it w/o taking another anticonvulsant?
My Journal

OCD, gone no meds

#2 wifezilla

wifezilla

• Pip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

I have always heard going cold turkey on lamictal is a no-no.

Anyone have the actual doctor talk on this one??
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"Chaos is the law of nature, and order is the dream of man" - Henry Brooks Adam (1838-1918)

"I'm not sick, but I'm not well. And it's so hot, cause I'm in hell" - Harvey Danger

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell - I know, right now you can't tell - But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see A different side of me" - Rob Thomas

#3 solstar

solstar

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Ok I got in tomorrow to see pdoc's assistant so I can ask about the rash and switching to Topomax.

Edited by solstar, 08 February 2006 - 11:37 AM.

My Journal

OCD, gone no meds

#4 hawkeye

hawkeye

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

I've decided to get off Lamictal as well. No real problems other then I hate taking meds that I jsut don't think help THAT much. Last visit the PDOC wanted to up the dosage to 300 from 200. She asked if I'd like 150x2 or 300s. I told her I wanted the 150s.

To get off it, I am doing the same thing as I did to get on it. Two/three weeks from 200 to 150.(never started the 300 dosage). Then split the lamictal into 75's. Two/three on that. Split again to 37.5 for same period. Then off all together.

Worst case is that I feel like crap and visit another PDOC. I sure don't like the one know.

So far into about week 2.5 of the 150 and all is ok.

;)

#5 Lisa_K

Lisa_K

sweet something

• Pip
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

Going off of an anti-convulsant  cold turkey is BAD BAD BAD news...you CAN go into seizures. I know this from personal experience...I tried to off my meds when I was a teen, BIG mistake...you have to go off of it slowly, under a doctors supervision...never abruptly. I ended up in the ICU, not to be all scarey...but anti convulsants have that "do not stop taking suddennly" warning for a reason, even if you arent epileptic...I know youre having a rash, which is equally...like...eeek...if I were you I would call back and at least ask if there is a danger of seizures if you stop all of a sudden and find out if there is another AC that can be prescribed while you stop taking Lamictal.

Edited by Lisa_K, 08 February 2006 - 12:49 PM.

Here for the Crazyboards Members!!! (Please seek PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE from a doctor before making a health decision...I am NOT a professional)

#6 firedancer

firedancer

*sigh*

• Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

What dose are you on?

I know it's not Lamictal but......

I went cold turkey off my Lyrica (a new AC) because I was sick of taking pills that weren't working for my migraines.

I experienced 2 days of hell.  I wanted to die.  Cold sweats, I literally took 5-6 showers in one day and sweated through all my clothes.

I went back on Lyrica and have been ok since.
Disability after one try!! How did that happen???

Please be nice to me, I'm a blood donor (conquering my fear of needles one pint at a time).

Dx: BPII (and everything that comes along with it), Intractable Migraines (that means 3-5/week). Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic seizures 7/07

Current Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Zanaflex

Past Rx: Prozac, Paxil/CR, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Ambien/CR, Wellbutrin XL, Keppra, Topamax, Effexor/XR, Neurontin, Depakote ER, Eskalith CR, Zonegran, Trazadone, Xanax, Klonopin, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Trileptal, Ablify, Geodon, Lunesta, Doxepin, Skelaxin, Flexiril, Verapamil, Lithium Carb, amitiptylin, triptans (can't take 'em), pain meds

be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind - dr. seuss (a doctor that i trust)

Posted Image

#7 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

I had to cold-turkey Lamictal twice now but both times where under doctor care and supervision. It SUCKS! Both times there were also other meds I had to cold-turkey at the same time. Both times, I got very sick. I just had to cold-turkey Lamictal and Seroquel in early January and I am just know feeling better. I am back on both meds now.

I do not have epilepsy so I do not have to deal with seizures every day. You can get seizures when you cold-turkey ACs if you are not epileptic. As Lisa said, stopping ACs cold is a very, very bad idea. Stopping any med cold-turkey is a very bad idea.

Erika
Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#8 ncc1701

ncc1701

ncc1701

• Pip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

Heya solstar,

If you have *the rash,* you need to go cold-turkey.  Your doc should be clear about how likely this rash looks to turn into *the rash.*  It can still become *the rash* after you stop the Lamictal, so be vigilant, eh.

If it's *a rash,* you can safely taper down, as hawkeye is.

Going cold-turkey should ideally involve some overlap with another AC, or at least a benzo, to reduce risk of seizures as part of the discontinuation syndrome.

The risk is low anyway, for people without a hx of seizure disorder, and really kind of a theoretical risk.  More likely you'lll just feel like crap for a while.

But if it was me I would want an AC or a benzo for a week or so.

--ncc--
--ncc1701--

Dx: BPI with mixed episodes, social anxiety

Rx: Lamictal 300 @ 1830. Seroquel 25 @hs

Therapy: Went to the beach in a polkadot bathing suit. Once.

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a psychiatrist!" (ST:TOS:The City on the Edge of Forever)

#9 solstar

solstar

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Well I skipped the Lamictal and took my abilify and started breaking out all over. WTF! can you get a rash from Abilify. I took it about 30 min ago.
My Journal

OCD, gone no meds

#10 solstar

solstar

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

I asked the nurse about seizure risk and she was all like there isn't any risk.
I added pics of the rash in my other thread. At least it isn't itchy right?
My Journal

OCD, gone no meds

#11 Halation

Halation

Walking EMP Incident

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

solstar -

how much of a risk is involved with quitting an AC cold turkey has a lot to do with how long you've been on the med and what your dosage is. if you've been taking lamictal for more than a couple months, you don't want to quit it cold-turkey. even if it is The Rash (which isn't something i can DX - and no one can over the internet), it isn't going to suddenly kill you in your sleep or anything. could your rash relate to any changes in skin-care stuff you're using, or dietary changes or the like?

it's still not a good idea to cold-turkey an AC. if it is in fact The Rash, and not just a random rash, then yeah, you do need to stop, but it's still usually safer to taper down slowly.

hawkeye - did you mention your desire to quit lamictal to your doc? 

management will not be held responsible for damage to personal items,
including handheld electronic devices and feelings.

not a healer, not a dealer, not a professional of any kind. bear that in mind.

#12 hawkeye

hawkeye

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:38 AM

solstar -
hawkeye - did you mention your desire to quit lamictal to your doc? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pdoc does not listen to me to begin with so  ;) why should I continue? I am planning on seeking another doc in the future if warrented. Problem with current starts with second visit. First was about 2 years or so ago. Then about 9 months ago, revisit and they can't find my charts. Nothing. Next two visits same thing, no charts. Is that anyway to run a practice? Then all I get is 10 minutes to 15 max. She does most of the talking, offering nothing in the way of dealing with crap. So what good is the PDOC then?

To me a good PDOC should LISTEN and offer help, not just RX drugs. Besides I don't need to expereience the effects of higher dosages of lamictal. I HAVE to BE ABLE TO FUNCTION 100% at work.

Dx of BPII RC. I have to fight my demons on my own terms.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

I am stopping my lamictal 600 milg. Cold turkey and the Dr. Said there isn't any risk of seizures with this med. I am scared--jm

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.