Celexa experiences

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 angeldivax

angeldivax

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

I know it's different for everyone but overall, does Celexa tend to be more sedating or more stimulating?

I've been on Celexa for about almost two weeks now. Started off at 10mg for a week, and then went up to 20mg. So far, I'm not sure I feel much of anything except I'm tired (especially around bedtime-- once midnight hits, I'm a goner! Though I shouldn't complain; at least it isn't giving me insomnia) and a little bit apathetic.

I was really hoping it'd give me a bit of a boost, energy-wise. I was previously on 50mg of Zoloft which made me tired, cranky, and just not caring about anything. Compared to the Zoloft, I feel more like myself & less like I'm in a fog, but still low on energy. Will it get better? I know it's still way early on, but I was just curious.

#2 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

I can't really say, haven't noticed a difference. I'm going through some med changes, so just generally feel weird at times, from who knows what. But it's nice to know that *someone* is on Celexa, it seems everyone's onto Lexapro now!
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#3 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

I was on Celexa for a year. It was an excellent AD for me. It made me a bit yawny and tired in the afternoons at first. That lasted for about 8 to 10 weeks, diminishing to nothing by the end of the second month. From then on, it was neutral.

Greeny
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#4 dreamingagain

dreamingagain

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:25 AM

I'm on Celexa (20 mg) as well, but I've only been taking it for a couple of weeks too, so I don't know what its effect on me will be either. I felt incredibly nauseated the first week I was taking it and now that's gone I don't really feel any different yet.

edited to add that I worked up from 10 to 20 mg, too

Edited by dreamingagain, 27 February 2006 - 12:26 AM.

#5 angeldivax

angeldivax

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

I can't really say, haven't noticed a difference. I'm going through some med changes, so just generally feel weird at times, from who knows what. But it's nice to know that *someone* is on Celexa, it seems everyone's onto Lexapro now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celexa is all my insurance covers, since Lexapro doesn't have a generic yet. And my doc rec'd Celexa over Lex for some reason.

I don't know if I've noticed much of a difference yet either. I've heard Zoloft is one of the stronger ADs, so maybe that's why Celexa doesn't seem to be doing much in comparison.

#6 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

I don't know if I've noticed much of a difference yet either. I've heard Zoloft is one of the stronger ADs, so maybe that's why Celexa doesn't seem to be doing much in comparison.

I was up to 200mg zoloft, that was a nightmare. Bad tremors and nausea. I've gone down to 50mg, but I'm taking it concurrently with the celexa. And yes, started at 10mg and now at 20mg.

Same deal with insurance. Never exactly checked to make sure lexapro wasn't covered, but pdoc said "why hassle".

#7 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

I think since Lex is the new and improved Celexa pdoc's figure it has advanced more medically wise ... so why use the older stuff, if it is basically the same.  Which is what I've heard it was ;)

#8 Dee

Dee

• Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

My cousin takes Celexa for MDD and she finds it sedating, but I am sure it could go either way.
I find Effexor super stimulating while it puts others to sleep.
"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."~ Buffy

DX: BP1, GAD

RX: Trileptal 1350 mg, Topamax 100 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Seroquel 150-200 mg, Clonazepam prn.

#9 folder1

folder1

Peter

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

I've been on Celexa and now Lexapro for a few years. I never noticed any sedating effect, but then I have an anxiety disorder and PTSD, so anything short of a sledgehammer tends to go unnoticed.

But recently, my pdoc and I raised my Lexapro from 20mg to 30mg. Within a few days, I felt like a zombie. 11 days into it, I'd had enough. Now I'm down to 10mg (not a typo), and I'm noticing colors and things like that. I'm much more present in the world. So i guess I'd have to weigh in on the sedating side of "Celexapro" side effects.

Peter
dx PTSD; GAD; major depression, recurrent; asthma; HCV
rx Lexapro 10mg; trazodone at bedtime; clonazepam .25mg bid; propranolol
+ Advair; albuterol prn (rarely); Zocor

The saints want justice -- the rest of us want mercy
--George Shuba, left field, Brooklyn Dodgers

#10 angeldivax

angeldivax

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:42 AM

Replying to my own post here to say that it seems pretty neutral so far... Maybe a little bit more energy, and I also feel like MYSELF which is so nice because I was a zombie on Zoloft.

I have also been sleeping GREAT at night, much better than on Zoloft (ironic considering that Zoloft made me exhausted).

#11 dreamingagain

dreamingagain

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

update: I realize the last time I posted was only five days ago, but it definitely kicked in the last few days.

I feel sleepy in the afternoons and tend to wake up feeling sedated (or maybe this is what calm feels like and I just can't remember!), but it's a definite advantage over feeling sick and anxious from the moment I wake up. And greeny says the sleepiness passed, so I'm cool. I've actually been getting out and feeling sort of like a normal person. I went to church on Ash Wednesday...yes! This is the first time I've ever taken an AD, so pardon my ecstasies.

#12 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

I've been on Celexa and now Lexapro for a few years. I never noticed any sedating effect, but then I have an anxiety disorder and PTSD, so anything short of a sledgehammer tends to go unnoticed.

But recently, my pdoc and I raised my Lexapro from 20mg to 30mg. Within a few days, I felt like a zombie. 11 days into it, I'd had enough. Now I'm down to 10mg (not a typo), and I'm noticing colors and things like that. I'm much more present in the world. So i guess I'd have to weigh in on the sedating side of "Celexapro" side effects.

Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have probably went from 30mg to 20mg and then to 10mg.  Probably having withdrawal effects.

#13 folder1

folder1

Peter

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have probably went from 30mg to 20mg and then to 10mg.  Probably having withdrawal effects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I wrote about noticing colors, being more present, etc., I meant in a positive way. I'm also less sedated, which is nice.
dx PTSD; GAD; major depression, recurrent; asthma; HCV
rx Lexapro 10mg; trazodone at bedtime; clonazepam .25mg bid; propranolol
+ Advair; albuterol prn (rarely); Zocor

The saints want justice -- the rest of us want mercy
--George Shuba, left field, Brooklyn Dodgers

#14 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

I've been on lexapro a few years, but just went back up to 40 mg. a few weeks ago and it is making me sleepier.  As I recall, last time it passed withing a few weeks, so any day now ;)

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#15 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

I've been on lexapro a few years, but just went back up to 40 mg. a few weeks ago and it is making me sleepier.  As I recall, last time it passed withing a few weeks, so any day now ;)

Well, that answers half my questions... the past few days I have done nothing but sleep. I've gone from 20 to 40 mg of celexa (citalopram). My pdoc told me to increase the dosage with the current script *if* I had enough to last until I had the new script filled via mail-order. Being the stupefying genius that I am, I miscalculated and now discover I did not. So, long story short, I've gone back down to 20 mg until I receive it in the mail. My question is, can I possibly feel a difference in *one day*? I've had nowhere near the sleepiness today, in fact, felt almost normal. No two-hour nap, no haziness.

#16 Guest_Amanda_*

Guest_Amanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:16 AM

I know it's different for everyone but overall, does Celexa tend to be more sedating or more stimulating?

I've been on Celexa for about almost two weeks now. Started off at 10mg for a week, and then went up to 20mg. So far, I'm not sure I feel much of anything except I'm tired (especially around bedtime-- once midnight hits, I'm a goner! Though I shouldn't complain; at least it isn't giving me insomnia) and a little bit apathetic.

I was really hoping it'd give me a bit of a boost, energy-wise. I was previously on 50mg of Zoloft which made me tired, cranky, and just not caring about anything. Compared to the Zoloft, I feel more like myself & less like I'm in a fog, but still low on energy. Will it get better? I know it's still way early on, but I was just curious.

#17 Guest_Amanda_*

Guest_Amanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

I started celexapro three mnths ago and I went from 10mg and I am now on 40mg. I feel I have more energy on celexapram but everytime I go up in dose I do get a little tired in the after noun and I do take a nap I find its best to force myself to stay awake until night time. I have ptsd so its hard for me to sleep at night but I think drugs just effect people diffrently exspecailly with so many diffrent conditions.

#18 gia

gia

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

I started on celexa last spring for daily crying spells which worked fine for that purpose however I was unable to lose any weight. Now in the last month I gained 14 pounds (on my doctors scale) so last Monday I called my pdoc and left a message that if I did not hear from him by Sunday am I was going to cut the little suckers in half. I should say that they are 20mg tablets. Now for 2 days I have not felt any different so at the end of the week I will take 10mg every other day for 1week then stop. So far so good.
DX bipolar1, social anxiety panic disorder, add
RX wellbutrin 450mgs abilify 10mgs klonopin up to 4mgs estrace 2mgs adderall 40mgs

#19 mejeba

mejeba

pregnant with future mischief

• Pip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

I was on Celexa for about 4 mths a few yrs ago, going from 10- 20- 30, adding Lithium b/c it wasn't doing shit for the depression, and ended up taking myself off it.

I didn't find it stimulating or sedating, but it made my brain feel poisoned. a horrible feeling that I can't describe. I guess I tapered off too quickly. got bad dizziness and 'brain zaps".
"only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

"illusion is the first of all pleasures" Oscar Wilde

Bipolar II- rapid cycling; PTSD; Generalized Anxiety; OCD in form of obsessive distorted thoughts;

Lamictal- 250 mg; Wellbutrin XL- 300 mg; Sertraline- 200 mg; Clonazepam- prn; Ativan- prn

chucked: Celexa w/Lithium, Ritalin SR, Valproex Sodium (Epival/Depakote], Lithium

#20 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

I'm on Lexapro, Celexa's little brother, and I find it pretty damn sedating. If I wasn't worried about running out of SSRI/SNRI treatment options, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

But I took Celexa a few years ago, and it didn't do anything to me (as in, it had no effect). Also, I liked Zoloft. It worked like magic (but eventually I stopped it and it didn't work at all when I tried it again).
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.