• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sal_manella

sal_manella

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hey,
  I just had a PTSD episode today after experiencing a trigger.  How do you guys calm down after being triggered?  I listened to some music and tried to let the storm pass.  I feel a little bit better now, but I don't know if I can go out again today.

#2 ~nestling~

~nestling~

fragile yet strong

• Pip
  • 1606 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:57 AM

sorry you suffered that....I have them too... ;) ((((hugs)))))

I'll come back to this.....got to go to work now.

In the Dark and the Deep there are truths that can always heal~Ken Wilber
[Recurrent (Chronic Major) Depression - Complex Trauma&Borderline]

#3 Croix

Croix

May cause sexual side effects

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

So sorry to hear that sal. I had one of those too yesterday as a matter of fact. Bigtime nightmare. Do you have anyone you can call when that happens? Someone who knows your particular situation who'll be able to support you?

I had to call hubby (he's currently working out of town) and told him I had a big trigger and was jumpy and anxious. He babies me when that happens. Best he could do over the phone was reassure me, then divert my attention. He started asking about the things I wanted to do when he came home. Sent me some funny emails. And just kinda talked to me for 30 min. or so til I calmed down some. It's important to have a support system like that. Keeps me from popping so many xanax.

You can always PM me. I know how bad it can be. I also know plenty of dirty jokes,lol.
Hang in there,

Croix

Dx: BPD, Specific Phobia, GAD

Rx: Lexapro 20mg, Xanax prn, Ambien, allergy meds

I'm not anxious, I'm just terribly terribly alert!

#4 ~nestling~

~nestling~

fragile yet strong

• Pip
  • 1606 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

me, I usually do self soothing things like curling up under a blanket with a soft toy, writing, dancing, artwork, grounding stuff like standing firmly on the ground, massaging my feet, wiggling my fingers etc. it depends on the nature of the episode.

reading validating articles or books is also something I often do.

In the Dark and the Deep there are truths that can always heal~Ken Wilber
[Recurrent (Chronic Major) Depression - Complex Trauma&Borderline]

#5 wakko926

wakko926

life sucks with or without me

• Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

I come here...........

Wednesday was a bad one for me
Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead

#6 sal_manella

sal_manella

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses.  Croix I do have a friend I can call who is familiar with PTSD.  It's weird because I just sort of realized that I have PTSD recently, but now when I get an episode it's so obvious.

#7 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

I just had a PTSD episode today after experiencing a trigger.  How do you guys calm down after being triggered? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a "safe blanket" that I wrap up in. I imagine that the 'voices' and such can't get to me through the blanket (my therapist's idea actually).

I listen to calming music. Or read.

The *most* effective way for me is to sleep, even if it's only for a half hour or so.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#8 Guest_Emily_*

Guest_Emily_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi, I'm Emily
and I also have PTSD. I don't have my family as support and the few friends I have who I rely on alot, just sometimes make me angry. Sometimes it feels as though they berate me or look down on me or even sometimes compete with me verbally on whose had a worse life. Even though I say we all suffer, there's no need to compare. I feel as though sometimes they group together and talk about me. I know that sounds paranoid, but I've seen them do that about each other, so I know its possible to do that to me. I don't have any support. So is there anything I can do to feel better, even when I don't have anyone around. Because that's how it is most of the time.

#9 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

I'll ask a family member for a hug, or play video games, or sometimes I come on here to distract myself and know i'm not alone.
If it's really bad I just curl up in bed and hide.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#10 Guest_good_luck_everyone_*

Guest_good_luck_everyone_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hi everyone, I was actually looking up PTSD online and came across this site. I hope all of you are ok and just wanted to say good luck to everyone in handling your situations the best you can. I hope you have much support. Have a good night !

#11 Guest_wendy_*

Guest_wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hey,
  I just had a PTSD episode today after experiencing a trigger.  How do you guys calm down after being triggered?  I listened to some music and tried to let the storm pass.  I feel a little bit better now, but I don't know if I can go out again today.

#12 Guest_wendy_*

Guest_wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Sorry you're having a struggle. Do you have a confidante/friend to help you through this PTSD? I have both flashbacks and what I call trauma flashes where I relive only the traumatic emotions connected to events (remembering the events in the present triggers these episodes) and it is frightening. Once I had my face buried in my own nasal mucous and saliva for 2 hrs while I was in a dissociative state reliving some very traumatic feelings. I could not get up to call anyone bcuz I was too disssociated. My therapist, bless her soul, told me when I finally called her that these episodes (flashbacks too) need to be allowed to run their course UNLESS there is a real chance you could hurt yourself or others.
My therapist has taught me to cherish these feelings because what I've been through, feel & remember deserves respect and to be attended to, like a nurse to her patient. Not shoved aside. That denial, or lack of validation and care of our needs after trauma(s) is how we developed PTSD in the 1st place.
You will go through ups and downs bcuz your mind is not able to cope with releasing too much at one time, so it's like a pressure cooking whistling loudly for someone to attend to it, at times, and other times all seems more normal, or at least less crazy for periods of time. This is just like being in a roller coaster. You will be ok. Just don't don't deny yourself these opportunities to minister to yourself, to be extra caring toward yourself. Because it heals your soul.
I'll help you through this if you want. I've had the very best teachers. Wendy

#13 Guest_wendy_*

Guest_wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Hey,

#14 Guest_wendy_*

Guest_wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

I get through triggered episodes (flashbacks and similar attacks) after I journal, by watching mindless TV or a humorous book. Avoid any connection with reality that can be the least negative, sad, annoying, etc. Don't visit people who you've had any painful memories with or conflicts in the past. Everything you surround yourself with must be 'safe".
Also its very important to journal after any kind of flashback, if you feel you can. This helps your mind to sort through feelings and needs, gives you time to have profound insights, to heal, emotionally grow and to decompress. If you don't journal after these episodes, then it is harder to process them and move forward.
After each flashback, of any sort, you are moving forward emotionally. You are integrating yourself; the victim meets with your future hopes and dreams for yourself. I hope you have a friend to see you through this.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

This is for Emily or anyone w/o a friend or support for their PTSD. I am here for you. I have been in therapy 3 yrs for multiple (more than 6) different traumas of severe nature and I can really help you. I've come a long way and learned a great deal. I deeply relate to all of you and I care. I love to help people. Look for me here.

#16 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

This is for Emily or anyone w/o a friend or support for their PTSD. I am here for you. I have been in therapy 3 yrs for multiple (more than 6) different traumas of severe nature and I can really help you. I've come a long way and learned a great deal. I deeply relate to all of you and I care. I love to help people. Look for me here.

Join the board. Let people know you. Now you are just an Internet cruiser, an unknown. How/why should anyone know they can trust you?

Bipolar I and ADD

#17 Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho

Mad Scientist

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

(Trigger for some? I talk about Drs office here.)

I don't really have a way to calm down after a flashback. I have all sorts of great ways to deal with panic and anxiety attacks, to short circuit them or to cope well after they happen; but flashbacks are so different. When I have them, the first important thing I have to do is realize it isn't a panic/anxiety attack. I can usually only tell the difference if I look closely, which is tough since doing anything when you are in pain is difficult. If I can realize that I'm reacting to something that isn't actually there, then I can make the split. For example, doctor's office, I can have a panic attack when giving a blood sample because I am afraid of being contaminated by the needle. Or I can have a flashback simultaneously to multiple episodes as a child (with a life threatening illness) where I was forced to give blood samples in horrible states of pain, confusion, loneliness, and fear. I don't often have a visual flashbacks; instead I have smell/touch/sound flashbacks, where I see reality in front of me and yet experience an unmatched sound and smell.

Anyway, when I finally figure out it is a flashback, I have to just ride it out. There is nothing that seems to stop it or cut it short. I try to put myself someplace where I can simply cry or rock or yell without attracting too much attention (car, bedroom, etc.) and let it out. I don't hold it in, I just go with it. They usually wind down in ten to 30 minutes, and then I'm exhausted. I'll get a shower, play a video game, take a nap, read a book, and stay far, far away from any TV or newspapers. Then I tell myself what a great job I did and move on.
The Blue Morpho
Adventures in Anxiety Land

DX: Chronic PTSD, OCD, GAD, Depression, Panic Disorder, SAD, Social Anxiety, Specific Phobias, probably Adult ADHD
RX: Celexa 40mg daily, Trazodone in test as sleep aid, Ativan 1mg as needed, bunch o' vitamins
Old RX: Buspar, Sonata, also used to be at Celexa 80mg

#18 NailFlower

NailFlower

Being Sane Feels Good

• Pip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

if I can get away from the trigger I can usually calm down really quick just by deep breathing for a few minutes. If I can't get away, then I freak out and I'm utterly destroyed for the day. this happens rarely though, because most times I can get away.
Dx: SD, PTSD, anxiety
Rx: various meds
MI Acceptance 101
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the Red Queen
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

#19 Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho

Mad Scientist

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

if I can get away from the trigger I can usually calm down really quick just by deep breathing for a few minutes. If I can't get away, then I freak out and I'm utterly destroyed for the day. this happens rarely though, because most times I can get away.

Yeah, getting away from the trigger is definitely the trick. The incident I mentioned, where I freaked out in the Drs office, was a lesson in getting away from the trigger. When I was younger, I'd have sat there and just taken it, and then been messed up for weeks. But this time, when I realized what was happening, I simply got up and left. The nurses were totally weirded out, but I was crying so bad I could hardly speak, and wasn't going to try to explain. I walked out. There are some things we really can control, now, and that was one of them. Since then I had my tdoc connect with my primary care person (gdoc?) and now they have a much better idea of how to deal with me. It was good all around, in the end.

Some things we can't get away from, and other we just think we can't because it would be 'rude' or 'weird' or 'nobody would understand'. I just do what's best for me, now, and don't worry about those other things (much) ;)
The Blue Morpho
Adventures in Anxiety Land

DX: Chronic PTSD, OCD, GAD, Depression, Panic Disorder, SAD, Social Anxiety, Specific Phobias, probably Adult ADHD
RX: Celexa 40mg daily, Trazodone in test as sleep aid, Ativan 1mg as needed, bunch o' vitamins
Old RX: Buspar, Sonata, also used to be at Celexa 80mg

#20 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Wow, you're the first person I've ever talked to that also got PTSD from childhood hospital experiences. It's only been once that I've had anxiety attacks that weren't triggered by flashbacks. At first thought they were out of nowhere but when I talked through the precipitating moments with tdoc I realized that there had been triggers like a smell similar to hospitals or something.

I'm glad you walked out. I know what you mean about doing it anyway and then dealing with the aftermath. Last year I refused to continue talking to a doctor that treated me badly and it felt so good to finally feel that things are different now I'm an adult.

Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm at the stage where I can usually deal with hospital things so you don't need to worry about triggers.

Edited by bluelikejazz, 18 November 2009 - 05:12 PM.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.