Take Ambien or up the Xanax?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

• Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

I panic when I can't sleep then it just tumbles down from there.  If you've read some of my past threads its similar.  I'm still stuck in that horrible groove of trouble sleeping - I call insomnia my demon. 

Klonopin for some reason doesn't help - I took .5 b/f bedtime and woke up later needing to take another .5 and then awoke at 4:30 to my dh alarm clock.

Xanax I've taken .5 - .75 seems to help sometimes but doesn't keep me asleep (most of the time). 

Seroquel - took a few times - made my heart pound like crazy.

Trazadone - just makes me dizzy & doesn't put me to sleep.

Valium - never tried it.

Ambien - have it - scared to try it - why?  I'm afraid of developing a dependence on it - but then WTF is it better to develop a dependence on something or give in to the demon and eventually let it win = makes me want to just die.

I'm not sure who will respond, my posts don't seem to get many responses.  I feel truly alone with this...

Up the xanax, xanax xr or shut up and try the Ambien?

P.S. Got dependent on halcion (sleeping pill from years ago -20 yrs. ago.) so I do have a dependence/psychological tendency.  (Thank God I don't drink)!!!!  Was my dependence such a bad thing?  Perhaps?

Any other suggestions?  I'm completely stressed out!

#2 hawkeye

hawkeye

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

I panic when I can't sleep then it just tumbles down from there.  If you've read some of my past threads its similar.  I'm still stuck in that horrible groove of trouble sleeping - I call insomnia my demon. 
Any other suggestions?  I'm completely stressed out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kris, good to see you posting again- I haven't read much from you in a while ;)

I know what you mean with the dread of insomina. Here is what I do. First, limit all liquids after about 6 or so. Get physically tired- walk or something. Not too late, again say around 6-7. Then When I start to feel drowsy, go to bed and I read for a while. Reading takes my ever working brain off duty.

Make sure that you have a comfortable bed, point the clock away from you so you can't see the time. If your hubby is making noise(not that us guys EVER make noises in bed), try the couch or another bed. Amazing how even deep breathing can upset us.

Never go to bed mad or without solving a problem somehow, even if it is realizing that you have to deal with it tomorrow.

Learn to wipe your slate clean. With that I mean, picture your brain as a chalk board and you are erasing every thought that is written on it. As soon as it(a thought) appears, erase it.

Then good old fashioned hot 'n'heavy passion works sometimes as well :)

Good luck. Keep in touch Kris.

#3 punky

punky

-

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

What happens if you don't deny the insomnia?  Like, what if you just got up and did stuff?  Sometimes I do that.  Every couple of months I just get this terrible insomnia that lasts about a week.  I get up and surf the net, write, do dishes, watch movies, whatever. And take naps during the day.

I have found that a hot bath before bed helps me fall asleep faster. 

I tried Ambien.  If I didn't go to bed right away, before it even hit me, I'd stay awake for hours, loose track of time, be in a dreamy trance, and do stupid stuff online.  Like shop.  When I did go to bed right away, I would fall asleep but drift gently in and out of consciousness all night. 

Hawkeye's suggestions for not drinking liquid and wearing yourself out a few hours before bed are good.  I also have an eye mask that helps.  Sometimes my eyes don't want to be closed all the way, so my brain doesn't want to fall asleep.  With the mask on, I can have my eyes opened or closed and there's nothing to see so it helps.  I tried earplugs, but they aren't really comfortable and end up waking me up later to be removed. 

#4 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

Xanax is more addictive than Ambien. Very much so. Ambien's not actually addictive - just habit forming if taken habitually. I take both. But whatever you do, don't take immediate release Xanax and Ambien at the same time!! For some reason that I don't get, Xanax XR and Ambien are okay togehter.

Xanax doesn't make me sleepy. Ambien has worked fairly well for me for many years - except when the insomnia gets really bad. At those times, not much does help. I've also been having fairly good luck with Rozerom - it was FDA approved only a few months ago and is an entirely different class of medication. It's not addictive and supposedly not even habit forming. It's one of the only sleeping meds not "scheduled" by the FDA.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#5 Dire Curves

Dire Curves

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

Try very hard not to take a benzo with a sleep aid, the combination can/will cause short term memory loss.  I finally switched to valium, don't take any sleep aid... val works for the mind and body similarly.  However, I am still up for two or more days at a time, I average 2-4 hrs sleep per day.  So, after reviewing what i just wrote, i'm not much help sorry.
OH... tried lunesta,,, worked better than Ambien, though it took 3 time the recomended dosage to get me to sleeep more than 4 hours so i quit.  i just read more books now to pass the time.
BP mixed state/spectrum ADHD chronic insomniac impulsive reckless selflessness i.e. "addrenaline junky"
"Any word used to describe an imperfection, is just another word for humanity." -
"Only I can hurt or help myself" -
"Why, since we fail often to learn, do we fear it so?"
"Life is practice for destiny" -
"Survival first, then happiness as we can manage" -All me
"I'm F I N E" Fuckedup Insecure Neurotic and Emotional"-unknown
"Obstacle cannot crush me
Every obstacle yields to stern resolve
He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind"-- Leonardo da Vinci

"Imagination is more important that knowledge.  Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -- Albert Einstien

#6 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

I take tomazapam (restoril) with klonopin and it seems to work most of the time.

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#7 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

Kris,

Gf you're so sensitive.... take more of K or try Ambien or Lunesta....

#8 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2572 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi!

I love the title for this thread!!!

More than a year ago I took ambien and it pooped out in a week.

I guess my insomnia is stronger than what pharmacologists like to believe. note that its 4:15 am in my world right now.

I take all my meds at night. including the 2mg of xanax xr. sometimes i sleep, other times i dont.

Good Luck!!
december

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1250 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

#9 robotlove29

robotlove29

i'm only happy when it rains

• Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

Go with the Ambien, cause you aren't going to be able to maintain a sedating dose of Xanax forever.  See you tried Seroquel...well I still recommend it.  It KNOCKS me on my ass, and I've tried everything.

good luck!

Marisa
been dx'ed as several things, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder (dead on), bipolar II, shcizoaffective disorder depressive type, OCD.....but am sticking with MDD and GAD.

past meds; effexor, zoloft, prozac, seroquel, invega, rispirdal, haldol, lunesta, xanax
current meds; Lexapro, Lamictal, Klonopin

#10 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:03 PM

I haven't tried Ambien, but I just kicked the xanax. You can easily - probably - build up a tolerance for it, and will have to continue upping it. It's a bitch.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.