Urgent - Mixing Ativan with Klonopin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreenGal

GreenGal

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

This is so last minute because I forgot to post earlier but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences mixing these two drugs? I've got a dentist appointment this afternoon to have some cavities filled and because I already suffer from extreme anxiety, I was concerned about making it through the appointment.

So, I normally take Klonopin 0.5mg mid-afternoon and 1.25mg before bed (last night "before bed" was about 3:30am).  My doctor has prescribed me an additional 2mg of Ativan to take an hour before my appointment.

Obviously mixing the two is safe or they wouldn't have given it to me...but do you guys think that is likely to be enough coverage? Or do you think it would be too much? I just don't want to be completely incoherent when I get there either because I have some questions (I've written them down just in case).  I also will likely need to take a benadryl later as I've run out of my normal allergy medication and tomorrow will be switched to a prescription so I need coverage overnight, so I'm thinking I may be down for the count.

Any opinions would be great,
Kelly
Dx: BPD, OCD and GAD (plus severe endometriosis and hypercorticolism)

Rx: Only clonazepam right now (.25mg 3x/day and 1mg at night), other meds for other conditions
Previous Rx: Paxil (awful, awful, awful), Effexor (somehow even more awful), Ativan, Serax, Librium

#2 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

are you driving?

that would be my only concern.  if you're worried about being coherent, get there early, ask the questions and then take the ativan before it's actual dentist time? (i guess this depends upon how your dentist office works and if you can ask someone questions or if everyone will be too busy.)

and yeah, with benadryl, you'll probably be asleep before sundown, heh.

good luck.
dentists suck.

penny
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#3 Breeze

Breeze

Barty

• Pip
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

I could drive on that and more. ;)   Depends on your anxiety level. I am perscribed .75 during the day, and .75 at bedtime. I also take .05 of Ativan prn. Since you can put them under your tongue, why don't you cut them up and take a half and then add more if you need it.

I am sure the dentist will wait for you, and I am also sure I am late with this advice.

Breeze
Best to speak kindly, act with care, lest your tomorrow be filled with fear

#4 GreenGal

GreenGal

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately I had already left when they were posted, but I made it through the doctors appointment which is what's most important I suppose. 

Unfortunately, the combination of Ativan and Klonopin still did nothing to curb my anxiety.  It was damn weird, my coordination was off, I was acting funny (sorta drunk-ish) but still anxious as all hell.  All the normal symptoms, heart pounding, racing pulse, hyperventalation...I even tried to grab the freezing needle from the dentists hand.

I don't know why these drugs aren't working for me but my pdoc refuses to try any other ones or up the dosage because i've been dx BPD and so I'm at a high risk for "dependence" so I'm at a loss for what to do.
Dx: BPD, OCD and GAD (plus severe endometriosis and hypercorticolism)

Rx: Only clonazepam right now (.25mg 3x/day and 1mg at night), other meds for other conditions
Previous Rx: Paxil (awful, awful, awful), Effexor (somehow even more awful), Ativan, Serax, Librium

#5 Breeze

Breeze

Barty

• Pip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

I don't know why these drugs aren't working for me but my pdoc refuses to try any other ones or up the dosage because I've been dx BPD and so I'm at a high risk for "dependence" so I'm at a loss for what to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh here I go again. There are a lot of things you can do that are not meds, that can help your anxiety. And I have found, the harder I try at other stuff, the more likely my p-doc is to help me with a higher dose of these meds when I need them.

I exercise daily. This makes a huge difference in calming your anxiety. You can start by walking just 10 minutes a day and work up from there.

I meditate, concentrating on my breathing. This will help (I am told but I never notice) when you are having a panic attack and forget to breathe.

I read a lot  on anxiety to understand its core in me and what I think would help me.

Sugar=bad. If you can live without it, you are ahead of the game.

I would suggest becoming more knowledgeable about anxiety and not waiting for the meds to work. You have a good mix now which is generous. I have the same. But I also work it from the other side. I try and make this a daily experience that isn't hell of everyone. Especially me!

Good luck.

Breeze
Best to speak kindly, act with care, lest your tomorrow be filled with fear

#6 robotlove29

robotlove29

i'm only happy when it rains

• Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

I don't know why these drugs aren't working for me but my pdoc refuses to try any other ones or up the dosage because I've been dx BPD and so I'm at a high risk for "dependence" so I'm at a loss for what to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh here I go again. There are a lot of things you can do that are not meds, that can help your anxiety. And I have found, the harder I try at other stuff, the more likely my p-doc is to help me with a higher dose of these meds when I need them.

I exercise daily. This makes a huge difference in calming your anxiety. You can start by walking just 10 minutes a day and work up from there.

I meditate, concentrating on my breathing. This will help (I am told but I never notice) when you are having a panic attack and forget to breathe.

I read a lot  on anxiety to understand its core in me and what I think would help me.

Sugar=bad. If you can live without it, you are ahead of the game.

I would suggest becoming more knowledgeable about anxiety and not waiting for the meds to work. You have a good mix now which is generous. I have the same. But I also work it from the other side. I try and make this a daily experience that isn't hell of everyone. Especially me!

Good luck.

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hate to say it, but yeah, meds aren't always the answer.  You'd be surprised how often we forget to breath.  Something sets me off into psycho mode and I don't even know what the hell is going on.....

Breath in and let that sink in for 30 seconds...if you can't handle it at least half way then...maybe your due for some benzo adds.  I can't imagine a pdoc counting you out just because you are at risk for becoming dependant.  I was thought to be bpd and I still get my beloved Xanax....

Just try to stick it out and if you can't do it, keep on it for some meds or other therapeutical help.  You deserve it!
been dx'ed as several things, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder (dead on), bipolar II, shcizoaffective disorder depressive type, OCD.....but am sticking with MDD and GAD.

past meds; effexor, zoloft, prozac, seroquel, invega, rispirdal, haldol, lunesta, xanax
current meds; Lexapro, Lamictal, Klonopin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.