Can adderall make me sleepy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lilie

lilie

• Pip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

When I was first prescribed adderall a month ago it was 5 mgs at  8 am and 5 mgs at 2 pm. I stayed sleepy (I also take 10 mgs ambien at night, 2 mgs of klonopin as needed, and 100 mgs of seroquel to sleep) so then he puts me to 10 mgs at 8 am and 5 mgs at 2 pm. I'm still sleepy. Should I give it more time, ask for a higher dosage, or just admit that I may have a paradoxical reaction to it and try something else?

Lilie
“Be kind whenever possible...It is always possible.” the Dalai Lama
Stewie Griffin: Ha ha. Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

#2 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

hm.

that's still a fairly low dose.  though everyone is different.  and yes, it could be a pardoxical reaction.

did you get more sleepy when you added the adderall?

if not, it may just be that with the seroquel, the klonopin, and the relativley low dose you're on, you just need more adderall to get the effect you need.

penny
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#3 lilie

lilie

• Pip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

I tried my two adderall in the morning then took another two at one oclock and it seems to have helped. I got some stuff done. Now hopefully I'll sleep tonight.

Lilie
“Be kind whenever possible...It is always possible.” the Dalai Lama
Stewie Griffin: Ha ha. Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

#4 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

IN my experience, low doses of Adderall, (like 2.5mg) make it easier to sleep, at least if I'm trying to do so. Sometimes I've found myself, with medium doses, in a state in which I feel like either working hard or sleeping, but not just hanging around. Now, I think, the sleepy part happens less. But you're going to have to get a feel for what will make you sleepy and what won't. It's possible, with a low dose at bedtime, that you can reduce or eliminate those other drugs at night. At least, if you have ADD and racing thoughts are what keep you up.

You might be able to fight off the sleepiness by getting some sun, doing something active, etc. for a few minutes, tho it's tough when you're sleepy. SOmetimes a 10 minute nap will take care of it. Or try meditating. You may find it interesting while taking Adderall. You may find you can get your mind to hold still, finally.

I think a paradoxical reaction may mean you're on to something, if your dx includes ADD.
dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#5 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

yeah, i'd try a higher dose. when i first started taking it at doses lower than 30mg (XR- and this is the highest dose they make in one capsule), it made me tired. my pdoc raised it and it works great (that is when i have some).
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#6 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

HI LILLIE IM CHARLIE

Sorry, folks.

Normally we don't encourage prescriptions from guest users who can't spell the medications they want you on.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#7 Guest_Bev_*

Guest_Bev_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Has anyone had any problem with adderall causeing them to be sleepy after you have been on it for some time? When I first started taking it I had so much energy, I could consentrate and finish a project. It also gave me energy to want to get things done. For some reason when I take it lately I almose immedialy withen 30 min start getting sleepy. I does not make any sense to me. I have only heard of one other person that has had this happen to and they had to switch meds....Please anyone out there let me know if you have had this happen to you.

#8 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Has anyone had any problem with adderall causeing them to be sleepy after you have been on it for some time?.

This question has already been answered, somewhere in an post that's easy to get to from here.

When I first started taking it I had so much energy, I could consentrate and finish a project. It also gave me energy to want to get things done.

In reality, amphetamine does not "give" a person energy at all. The drug causes the release of stored neurochemicals that in turn activate certain parts of the brain and autonomic nervous system. It basically helps you burn up your energy and chemical stores faster than you normally would.

Edited by null0trooper, 24 March 2008 - 05:48 PM.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#9 Guest_Guest_Sebastian_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sebastian_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

lol thats a good point. xD

#10 Guest_gues42_*

Guest_gues42_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

HI LILLIE IM CHARLIE

Sorry, folks.

Normally we don't encourage prescriptions from guest users who can't spell the medications they want you on.

Boy here I thought forums were for people who needed help to get educated answers from people with experience not jerks commenting on a perticular users spelling....JERK

#11 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Gone.

• Pip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Zombie thread is immune to your shotgun blasts.

Lucas Silveira > Lady Gaga

Dx: Combat PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD [Inattentive Type]

Rx: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Buspar 10mg, Adderall 10mg [dose finding trial],
Testosterone Cypionate 50mg Q 10 Days IM, Testosterone Cream 4ml 1% PLO Gel PRN
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Gender Therapy, Integrative Psychotherapy

#12 Guest_falconer69_*

Guest_falconer69_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

It could be the seroquel. I don't know about all day but even 25mg at bed leaves me nodding off for the first few hours of the next morning. A couple of my friends experience the same effect on rather small doses. If you can lower your seroqual you may be able to lower the adderall. But everyone's diff. Some people take 200mg seroqual and are fine the next day.

#13 Raquin

Raquin

• Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Adderall makes one of my very good friends, VERY tired. I forget what else she's on, but it's not much.
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

#14 Guest_Kevin_*

Guest_Kevin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

When I was first prescribed adderall a month ago it was 5 mgs at  8 am and 5 mgs at 2 pm. I stayed sleepy (I also take 10 mgs ambien at night, 2 mgs of klonopin as needed, and 100 mgs of seroquel to sleep) so then he puts me to 10 mgs at 8 am and 5 mgs at 2 pm. I'm still sleepy. Should I give it more time, ask for a higher dosage, or just admit that I may have a paradoxical reaction to it and try something else?

Lilie

Lilie, -- What exactly is your Dx for? Sounds to me like general anxiety coupled with ADD and sleep disorders?? First and foremost I honestly suggest you go talk to a different doctor. The combination of medicines - strengths and intervals are mind blowing. How much do you weigh?? How long have you been trying this? Rather than thinking that it is a paradoxical reaction, I suggest you get a different Dx, and your meds adjusted. I am not your doctor but my mindset being someone that has seen MULTIPLE doctors - received different Dx's from each one, different meds and strengths is there is no exact science to it yet.. Maybe in 15 years but right now they can't just draw your blood, analyze your DNA, and then say oh she needs 50mg of seroquel at night and 2 mg of klonopin as needed and her add requires 5mg 2x a day. -- What I see here is and I say this from personal experience,. NEVER EVER take ambien again. Google it., you will wake up and not know it especially with the klonopin, amphetamine, and seraquol. You will wander the streets or god forbid drive your car -- you will get up and eat a tub of butter.. I personally *(and have no recollection of this)* got up, walked out of my parents house, and walked the neighborhood. In the process - lost my cell phone, keys, wallet, and attempted to enter houses that looked like our house, someone called the police and they took me in and figured out who i was, what was going on and luckily i got the cell phone back but lost over $500 in cash, all plastic, all ids, and the keys, cost me a ton to replace considering some of them were to locks that had to be drilled and replaced or rekeyed.. What i'm saying is no matter what is wrong with you sleep is a mindset, and zolpidem (generic name for ambien) is said to have less problems as the brand drug supposedly was formulated different however a few years later I tried zolpidem because when the wake up incident happened ambien was so new there wasn't a generic.. I had conversations for hours and vivid hallucinations that were more intense than an LSD trip.

Klonopin is for instant relief, they give you the seroquil i would imagine to eventually lower your dose of klonopin or need for it and titrate your blood with the seroquil.. 100 mg is a high dose coupled with an extremely low dose of adderall.. Some people get 10mg adderall tabs prescribed and take 2.5 at night for SLEEP!! I will tell you my most recent and consistent Dx which I had 3 different doctors give me, before even discussing meds, which is hard you feel you need these meds to survive, the only one I would tell you not to just stop is the Klonopin the withdrawls from that are scary. Worse than alcohol & heroin and you can seize and die..

But i digress my Dx is social anxiety disorder, general anxiety disorder and ADD.. I take 10 mg of adderall in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon, and 3 2mg klonopins a day, as needed. sometimes i'll take a 1/4 or 1/2 klonopin, sometimes i need the whole 2 mg,. I don't respond well to zoloft, paxil, etc but all of our chemistry is different. I will tell you this -- and end my rant -- I have been taking the 10mg adderall for a week and its too weak. I find myself needing to double up on pills and on my next appointment I am going to have the doctor adjust the dosage or also note which one they write. The actual amphetamine, d-amphetamine salt combo, or what.. Do not (NOTE TO EVERYONE, not just her) DO NOT --- snort these. Unless you are talking about a drug like cocaine or heroin that has specific properties that enter the nose and go directly in the blood stream -- you are WASTING YOUR MEDICINE I ASSURE YOU.... Klonopins, crushed and snorted have 10% of the effect because it takes forever to drip down your throat and begin its chemical reaction and by then you've slowed the delivery.. UNDER THE TOUNGE. DISSOLVE IT and try not to drink anything but water. Soda, Caffeine, or milk will lessen the effect... People are addicted to the snorting and do NOT realize if you took 3 2mg klonopins, crushed them, made lines and snorted them you would not be anywhere near as effected as if you put those three under your tongue and drank a little water.. you'd be stumbling, slurring and outright messed up... if you snort you will waste your medicine and honestly as initially stated this isn't directed @ you or your question just in my experience, don't get confused with one Dx to the other. Some people go to doctors 'seeking' medicine. Your Dx is you are an addict, your personality is addictive and maybe you have bouts of mania or whatever symptom but if you deceive your doctor you get what you deserve. If you are drug seeking then you aren't going to help yourself, you are just going to feed your addiction... take a moment and reflect on YOUR situation Lilie and thank you for letting me add my 2 cents to your question although it wasn't relevant to what you asked.

Personally i'd get a solid Dx but the seroquil made me a zombie and I would never take it again. Abilify, Prozac, anything else. Get to the nuts and bolts of why they gave you seroquil to begin with. Have a clear Dx, have a treatment plan and make sure that you use extreme caution and anyone reading this you may think you know but you aren't the one that went to school for 20+ years to determine whats best, however everyone is different. So every DR operates differently. Some refuse to prescribe or use benzos at all, some use them like tictacs, and some are too quick to Dx... Truth be told no one should get a Dx on a first visit. Watch your doctor like he/she watches you... They observe your demeanor, clothing, appearance, - watch them. Are they looking at you when you talk, are they constantly writing, are they looking at their watch? Are they interested in making you better and are you interested in becoming better or do drugs just make you feel good and you need the Dr to get you what you need... Better living through pharmaceuticals. But also irrelevant to the topic since I've started the adderall I need much less percocet - I did not mention but i have 3 severe herniations in my cervical spine. Since I have had adderall i still need 2 10 mg percs in the am to get going but i'm not constantly taking them.. i was Rx'ed 6 10/325's a day and i was running short each month, until I started this treatment, now I am feeling much more active and thinking about the pain a lot less.. Thanks for listening I hope you guys and girls really read what I wrote and absorb it - I am speaking as a voice of experience.. just a small fish in a big pond but I know what the deal is and what is good/bad for me, that's what is important for you.. know what works for you.. If someone told you that your car's engine/transmission was blown up and going to cost you $10,000, wouldn't you take it somewhere else to be sure? Extrapolate the cost of co-pays, Rx's, gas to DR's, pharmacies, time off, and the physical strain these meds put on your body to shorten your lifespan.. if you see your Psych every other month, and therapist every other.. figure 12 visits @ avg co-pay of $60... there is $720... Every month you have 4 Rx's avg copay of $15, $720., again.. and that is if your insurance covers fully the meds you are given.. either way here is $1440 just to medicate you and for therapy., IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE.. Ok /end rant.. good luck to all be safe and don't.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.