Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

has ANYONE EVER lost weight while on Effexor?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

OK, let me say first, I'm not perfect.

I still drink wine too often, but for the most part the WAY I am eating should lend to some weight loss.

I am taking 150g Effexor and prior to that I was on Seroxat (European version of Paxil) and I have definitely gained steadily in the last couple of years. When I started I was probably around 75 KG (160 lbs) and I now weigh a whopping 100KG (220 lbs). The first 18 months on meds I was severely depressed, drank a lot and emotional ate, so I know it's NOT all the meds fault.

I'm so, so, so sick and tired of weighing 100KG. Last November, I went to weight watchers (again - I'm a lifetime member; previously lost 28KG and kept it off for 3 years) and I weighed in at 103KG fully clothed. I ended up quitting meetings for whatever reason (I don't know anymore) and just trying to do it without having to pay for it. I lose a KG or two, then gain one back, then lose one, then gain two... you get the picture... I'm still weighing 100KG no matter what!!

I don't exercise, I know I should if I really want it to work... I did exercise twice last week (I have an elliptical at home) and I'm going to do it now regularly if it freaking kills me.

I'm just wondering... has ANYONE here ever lost weight while still on Effexor??? Should I even flippin' bother trying??? I'm not saying I'm going back to the beer and pizza diet, I'm just saying should I just accept this for now and stop being so hard on myself for this extra weight? (I hate it by the way, I feel disgusting and huge and gross, but I know that is all in my mind)

Anyone?

Posted

I lost weight on 225 effexor. I was feeling really good. It was animating and I really felt like depression was over. Now I'm on cymbalta and I've gained 30 lbs. I've added 37mg of effexor but think I'll go back on it. The cymbalta make me sleepy.

raven

Posted

I lost 10 pounds when I started Effexor. It would have continued but Seroquel was added as a sleep aid and gave me the munchies.

Effexor suppressed my appetite.

Posted

Hey Velveteen!

Where you been girl? Good to hear from you. I am titrating back on Effexor (at 150 mgs. now). I took it for 5 or 6 years but went off it when the major depression of Bradley dying hit me. I thought Effexor pooped at the time, but in the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I realize now NO AD would have worked to make me feel anything other than wretched back then.

Like Raven I went on Cymbalta and at first it worked, but it pooped early, like 6 mos. in, and I gained weight on it.

When I was on Effexor before, I was at my best weight 150-160 (I'm 5'8" and large boned), I worked out often, I did the required cardio to lose and then maintain my lower weight, but I was on Effexor 225 mgs. It was so effective with my depression, I had the motivation to work out. Cardio is key to the whole thing, and it sound like you know that. Not to mention the major supplemental depression fighting benefit of regular cardio.

I keep saying I'm going to get into a regular schedule of cardio, but I have become so much like the tin man with my arthritis that it's hard to move and I didn't for a long time between it and depression. I know when I hit 200 pounds, I was hugely (ha) depressed. That was late winter early spring. I have lost a solid 10 pounds since then. With water fluctuations etc., I have a plus/minus of an addition 5-7 pounds, I use my clothes more than scales to judge where I'm at. For one I don't have a scale, and with all the doc's offices I trevail through it's impossible to know which one of their scales is the most accurate.

But just being down from 200, solidly distant from that awful number, give me hope again. I'm on a treatment for my rheumatoid arthritis and have about another month or so till it kicks in and hopefully knocks the RA back into remission again. When my bones feel better I want to get very aerobic, for now, I move and move a lot but it's non-aerobic so I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing steadily.

I did change my diet too, I lapse there, 'specially with the hormones going crazy. Being 45, closing in on 46 in a few months.

Good luck, come back more often!

S9

Posted

I didn't take that evil crap for very long (it made me vomit), but probably because it made me vomit (took it for 4 months), i actually lost 20lbs and weighed 110. i usually weigh between 130-140 so that isn't good for me.

some people look normal or slender at lower weights and taller heights. for unknown reasons i'm fairly thin and weigh "a lot" to look thin. i wear a 4/6. on that effexor crap i wore a 0/2.

Posted

I lost weight on 225 effexor. I was feeling really good. It was animating and I really felt like depression was over. Now I'm on cymbalta and I've gained 30 lbs. I've added 37mg of effexor but think I'll go back on it. The cymbalta make me sleepy.

raven

Hi Raven

I have the same feeling actually now that I am taking MORE effexor. I was on 75mg for a longass time and now for the past several months have been at 150mg, which is good. I only rarely have episodes where I feel like crap for unexplained reasons.

I'm scared to go off for several reasons... I guess it's better to be fat and happy(er) than out of control and losing weight...

I lost 10 pounds when I started Effexor. It would have continued but Seroquel was added as a sleep aid and gave me the munchies.

Effexor suppressed my appetite.

Thanks for answering Dee. Maybe it really IS my diet and not the meds????

What's wierd is that I don't generally have the munchies or truly overeat, I hardly even emotionally eat anymore, so it's not that I have uncontrollable eating. I don't know but it's pissing me off ;)

Posted

Hey Velveteen!

Where you been girl? Good to hear from you. I am titrating back on Effexor (at 150 mgs. now). I took it for 5 or 6 years but went off it when the major depression of Bradley dying hit me. I thought Effexor pooped at the time, but in the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I realize now NO AD would have worked to make me feel anything other than wretched back then.

Like Raven I went on Cymbalta and at first it worked, but it pooped early, like 6 mos. in, and I gained weight on it.

When I was on Effexor before, I was at my best weight 150-160 (I'm 5'8" and large boned), I worked out often, I did the required cardio to lose and then maintain my lower weight, but I was on Effexor 225 mgs. It was so effective with my depression, I had the motivation to work out. Cardio is key to the whole thing, and it sound like you know that. Not to mention the major supplemental depression fighting benefit of regular cardio.

I keep saying I'm going to get into a regular schedule of cardio, but I have become so much like the tin man with my arthritis that it's hard to move and I didn't for a long time between it and depression. I know when I hit 200 pounds, I was hugely (ha) depressed. That was late winter early spring. I have lost a solid 10 pounds since then. With water fluctuations etc., I have a plus/minus of an addition 5-7 pounds, I use my clothes more than scales to judge where I'm at. For one I don't have a scale, and with all the doc's offices I trevail through it's impossible to know which one of their scales is the most accurate.

But just being down from 200, solidly distant from that awful number, give me hope again. I'm on a treatment for my rheumatoid arthritis and have about another month or so till it kicks in and hopefully knocks the RA back into remission again. When my bones feel better I want to get very aerobic, for now, I move and move a lot but it's non-aerobic so I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing steadily.

I did change my diet too, I lapse there, 'specially with the hormones going crazy. Being 45, closing in on 46 in a few months.

Good luck, come back more often!

S9

s9

thanks so much! hmmm, where have I been? I don't know to be honest! Going through another one of those withdrawl periods I guess!

Sometimes I want to just use my clothes as a guide and destroy my scale with a sledgehammer. I don't get on the scale too very often, but still too much. Ultimately I don't even want to look once a week, but since I'm more actively trying to lose weight again, it's a good gauge (for a while anyway).

While I don't have the kind of issues you (and that sucks and I am sorry that you have the kind of pain you have) have, because of my weight I hurt more, my feet, my knees, my ankles... which makes me want to NOT exercise... but I know in the end, it will take away some of the physical pain so I just need to keep trying.

The more I think about it, the more I think drinking is a big culprit...

Posted

I didn't take that evil crap for very long (it made me vomit), but probably because it made me vomit (took it for 4 months), i actually lost 20lbs and weighed 110. i usually weigh between 130-140 so that isn't good for me.

some people look normal or slender at lower weights and taller heights. for unknown reasons i'm fairly thin and weigh "a lot" to look thin. i wear a 4/6. on that effexor crap i wore a 0/2.

Loon

thanks for responding. I know not all meds work the same for everyone. Horrible that it made you so ill.

I don't know what I look like. I think I look like a fat, disgusting pig. But I'm pretty hard on myself. At 5'5

Posted

Hi V:

I had major problems when I was on effexor. The biggest issue was drinking. that shit made me drink every day. and there are a whole lot of medical professionals that will deny the drinking crave....but Im tellin' you - effexor made me drink alcohol unlike anything else in the whole world.

and a diet of beer + candy = weight gain. ;)

good luck!!!

december

Posted

Very interesting DB! Because I can drink a lot now (not proud of it mind you) and it doesn't seem to phase me. I know it's not good for me though. Maybe I need to switch again????

Posted

Take a good look at what you ARE eating and add some movement.

Enjoy the way you feel. It's a great drug for those who can take it.

Thanks sor starting this. It made me realize I need to go back on it.

raven

Posted

Thank you Raven!

I am currently journaling my intake AND I *started* exercising again last week. Being totally honest with myself too (keeping a blog on wordpress). Will just keep at it even though the scale not moving is frustrating... and try to focus on the positives!

Posted

first off, even if a scale isn't reflecting a weight loss, that doesn't necessarily mean that you haven't lost *inches.* Just a thought...

Anywayz...

I was on various doses of effexor for a significant amount of time, one of the reasons being that I had discontinuation issues. I'm pretty sure that I was not one of those lucky people who just lost weight on the med, no such luck. I was, though, actively trying to lose weight, which I did start successfully doing after a while.

I guess some things you might want to take into consideration, though, are that I have a... umm... history and am susceptible to disordered eating habits, so some, but not all, of my weight loss can be attributed to that.

When weight loss is concerned, drinking does become an issue. After losing weight, I also gained weight on effexor and I blame some of it on drinking.

You seem determined. I think that if you keep up that attitude, exercise, and eat right, you should get results at some point. Maybe you wont get them as fast as you might like, but sometimes it takes a while.

stay well

Posted

I had no appetite. And I lost about 12kg.

I had my first blackout after guzzling a few drinks too quickly - usually could handle those few drinks easily.

Posted

hello!

Another point on the graph for ya. I started Effex about 3 months ago (maybe; my memory's shot). I'm at 225.

Lately, I've been doing a bit of exercising (which is a lot more than I used to do). I've also sprouted this gut. Where did this come from? I don't know. Maybe the exercise is causing it?

I was pretty neutral on Effex, until lately, when the gut appeared. I also take Ritalin--that stuff had me down to 48kg last summer, but it doesn't seem to have the weight loss effect it used to. Oh well. I am at 54kg and this is a good weight--if only I could redistribute it a bit.

lily

Posted

I was already losing weight, but continued to on effexor (about 8 pounds on 225)

Tommy

Posted

Hi guys,

I just wanted to update:

My boyfriend downloaded the new WW program for me and after 1 week I lost 2 KG! So it's actually NOT what I was eating, NOT the effexor, but the portion sizes!

I love the program and it's so freakin easy to just do it on my computer as the day goes along (I write stuff down in a little notebook too so I can write stuff down while I'm at work). I'm exercising too and that seems to be helping as well.

Many thanks for all your responses ;)

Posted

I lost about half a stone on efexor (75-150mg)

I have anorexic tendencies. not good news.

total loss of appetite, and nauseousness.

I lost about half a stone on efexor (75-150mg)

I have anorexic tendencies. not good news.

total loss of appetite, and nauseousness.

Posted

I lost about 20 lbs on effexor. I had no appetite and I was nauseus all the time.

BUT I also got suicidal and psychotic so it was not the drug for me!