Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Crushing pills?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Since half an hour (approx. the time most benzos take to kick in, for me) can seem like a looong time when having a panic attack, I asked my pdoc is crushing the pills, and eating it with yoghurt or something, would make them work faster. She thought it would, since that means less work for the stomach acid, but had no experience with it.

Anyone?

Posted

Generally it is OK to crush regular pills.

Do NOT crush extended release or controlled release pills, because they have either special coatings or special capsules that allow the medicine to be released over time. If you do crush them you may receive too much meds all at once, causing side effects, and then the medicine will wear off quickly and you will not have the extended effectiveness.

a.m.

Posted

I've chewed my clonazepam pills a few times with no ill effects. I think it does help it to kick in sooner. I don't know about chewing anything else tho.

Tom

Posted

I have Klonopin too (no extended realease or anything), but I think I would throw up if I tried chewing them.

So crushing them should help? I'll try that in case of an emergency, if I'm at home. Chrushing pills at a public bathroom just may seem a little bit suspicious.

Posted

I find Valium hits quicker when chewed. V's taste ok to me though.

Posted

I let my ativan dissolve under my tongue, and it works pretty fast. There are forms meant for that route of administration, but I just use regular ones, and it works the same. I'm not sure if you can do that with any other benzos, but it might work?

Posted

I also let Ativans melt under my tongue. Fast action. They're actually kind of sweet. Go figure. I could imagine other pills might be kind of bitter and could make someone sick, but Ativan...kind of yummy. Good Lord. I do know any time-release pills can NOT be chewed, crushed or otherwise destroyed...

good luck...

Posted

I chew up my klonopin all the time, I think they taste mildy like sweettarts. It's a great drug but waiting an hour for it to kick in just doesn't cut it sometimes. I've also tried snorting them a couple of times, that really makes them work fast, but it burns like hell and gives you a stuffy nose. Not highly recommended, but I was despesperate at the time.

Posted

they also make a sublingual klonopin (though it's brand so more spensy) and a sublingual xanax which i think is called nirivan or something that sounds close to nirvana and makes me giggle. if only a pill could take me there.

i've let regular klono dissolve under my tongue (less tastebuds) and it was fine. though maybe it varies a lot by manufacturer.

i don't take klonopin anymore, but i still have some of the sublinguals stashed in key spots (car, purse, etc.) for panic attacks.

Posted

I chew up my klonopin all the time, I think they taste mildy like sweettarts. It's a great drug but waiting an hour for it to kick in just doesn't cut it sometimes. I've also tried snorting them a couple of times, that really makes them work fast, but it burns like hell and gives you a stuffy nose. Not highly recommended, but I was despesperate at the time.

I hope you're joking about the snorting. I don't think it's a healthy way to absorb the medication.

Tom

Posted

klonopin is not very water soluble so snorting it is not going to accelerate the effects too much, basically it will be slowly absorbed thru your nasal cell membranes and you will have a lot of junk lodged in your nose for a long time. in other words, sublingual dosing is probably the only way to accelerate its effects.

i had an (ex-)friend who tried mixing it with water and shooting it in his arm! (he did this because he was going through oxycontin withdrawal) he had a terrible reaction (probably due to solid klonopin particles not dissolving) and his parents took him to the hospital, he didnt particularly win the genius of the year award that year. =)

i think the klonopin tastes kind of like a mint when you chew it ;)

Posted

i've chewed up my klonopin before and i think it hits my system faster. i usually feel klonopin in 15 minutes or so, chewing it i feel it in more like 10. it is a benzo that takes longer to hit (at least it is that way for me), but lasts longer, so for me is worth the initial wait.

if i'm in a huge pinch and i need something NOW then i have a few of my boyfriend's xanax, which works almost right away. it has a short life in your system, but wow, it gets the job done to avoid a panic attack (which is why he has them, terrible panic attacks).

loon