wakko926

Can you overdose on Neurontin?

30 posts in this topic

The good news is that if you are a rat, you can keep Neurontin out on the side table and serve them like butter mints without worrying.

For humans, while there are some reports of ridiculously high overdoses, no lethal dose is reported. You would be a drooling, incoherent, diarrhea shitting blob of jelly on the floor though. The biggest danger is suffocation from depressed respiration.

Be safe.

a.m.

I hope you are not asking because you are contemplating something.

If you are concerned you may have accidentally taken a double dose, I wouldn't panic. I doubt you take as much as me (2100 mg per day). The maximum dosage is quite high (off label up to 3600 mg).

I've accidentally taken a double dose. I take 4800 of the stuff a day...I'm still kickin' so I doubt you are in any trouble. Please be safe though. Unless you are a rat and in that case please pass the Neurontin ;)

I've accidentally taken a double dose. I take 4800 of the stuff a day...I'm still kickin' so I doubt you are in any trouble. Please be safe though. Unless you are a rat and in that case please pass the Neurontin :)

Holy crap!! You win the neurontin prize. ;)

Anybody know?

hi, id say its impossible. the amount of absorption decreases with higher doses (descending dose to absorption curve), so you may not even get more than 1000mg at any one time as far as whats actually used (EDITED: meaning absorbed into your body and reaching your CNS, particularly transported across the blood-brain barrier by neutral amino acid transporter proteins).

that being said, the side effects might suck and its not a good idea. i think the maximum dose that even gets any benefit would be 4800mg/day and that would probably have to be dosed at least 4x/day. at least thats what pdocs ive been to have said as far as the ceiling. because its an amino acid (albeit a synthetic one) it's not metabolized by the liver (and almost 100% excreted as unchanged drug) so its generally very safe.

so don't do it, its a total waste. if you are concerned about someone else doing it, make sure they arent on any dangerous meds, because there are many dangerous psych drugs that CAN be fatal in overdose.

my personal experience is the more neurontin i take, i just get more and more hypomanic... baaad

Edited by zsandoz

thanks for the replies guys

I was basically just curious

I have found that if I take it with my muscle relaxers it makes me feel like I am drunk - not good when you have to work - lol

I've got other stuff that would do the job if I decided to go that route.

But I'm not going to right now.

;)

There has been only one confirmed suicide or death from gabapentin. Blood serum level was 88 micrograms per liter. I'm not sure what that translates to in consumed pills.

I was informed by one doctor that had proven his knowledge to me that as much as 11000 milligrams per day has been prescribed. I was trying to control severe fibromyalgia pain without opiates.

With the extreme paranoia created by the federal government for the doctors adequate pain management is not being provided. FYI this has not reduce the amount of oxycontin on the street first hand not rumor.

On 12/8/2006 at 4:05 PM, zsandoz said:

hi, id say its impossible. the amount of absorption decreases with higher doses (descending dose to absorption curve), so you may not even get more than 1000mg at any one time as far as whats actually used (EDITED: meaning absorbed into your body and reaching your CNS, particularly transported across the blood-brain barrier by neutral amino acid transporter proteins).

that being said, the side effects might suck and its not a good idea. i think the maximum dose that even gets any benefit would be 4800mg/day and that would probably have to be dosed at least 4x/day. at least thats what pdocs ive been to have said as far as the ceiling. because its an amino acid (albeit a synthetic one) it's not metabolized by the liver (and almost 100% excreted as unchanged drug) so its generally very safe.

so don't do it, its a total waste. if you are concerned about someone else doing it, make sure they arent on any dangerous meds, because there are many dangerous psych drugs that CAN be fatal in overdose.

my personal experience is the more neurontin i take, i just get more and more hypomanic... baaad

I know I'm VERY late to this post. But the same thing happened to me when I took Neurotin, and I thought it was just me. It made me very hypomanic and gave me this weird head high. I was only taking 1800mgs a day, divided into 3 600mg doses throughout the day.

Shit I have taken 12000 and I'm still alive and on 8000 right now

9 hours ago, ben01 said:

Shit I have taken 12000 and I'm still alive and on 8000 right now

I think you should go to the ER ASAP.

Can a person OD on Neurontin?  IDK.  It never is good to OD on anything.  But taking the amount of neurontin you have right now (the 8,000 ... I assuming 8,000 mg?) , I would highly suggest going to the ER.

The LD50 of neurontin is  720 mg/kg, so for me at 90 kilos it would take 64,800 mg, similar to valium. Too much for you to take as pills.

5 minutes ago, notloki said:

The LD50 of neurontin is  720 mg/kg, so for me at 90 kilos it would take 64,800 mg, similar to valium. Too much for you to take as pills.

Just want to add that some people might metabolize the neurontin differently, or combine it with other meds, or etc. at the same time, which would be needed to take into consideration also.

But like I said, it is not smart to OD on anything.

From what I understand, Neurontin is not metabolized but is passed by the kidneys. It is rather unique among anticonvulsants in that respect.

39 minutes ago, jt07 said:

From what I understand, Neurontin is not metabolized but is passed by the kidneys. It is rather unique among anticonvulsants in that respect.

Doesn't it need to metabolize so it will work, and get to a therapeutic level?

Well, lithium is not metabolized and it works and reaches a therapeutic level.

6 hours ago, jt07 said:

Well, lithium is not metabolized and it works and reaches a therapeutic level.

So it just goes in your mouth and out when you pee?  What does it do in between that?

Metabolized means broken down by the liver. Neurontin bypasses the liver and is absorbed into the blood where it crosses the blood-brain barrier and operates on the brain. It is eliminated from the body by the kidneys. Lithium is similar in that it bypasses the liver but it still works on the brain.

please dont test it out.

5 hours ago, jt07 said:

Metabolized means broken down by the liver. Neurontin bypasses the liver and is absorbed into the blood where it crosses the blood-brain barrier and operates on the brain. It is eliminated from the body by the kidneys. Lithium is similar in that it bypasses the liver but it still works on the brain.

Thank for the explanation.

I've never heard of an OD on gabapentin but I've taken too much on accident once and it lead to some funky side effects... paranoia being one of them. Feeling high and slurring my speech was another...

Posted (edited)

Some drugs need to be changed into an active form(s) of the drug as the drug in the pill is not active.  Most times this happens in the liver but with some there are ways to metabolize a drug without using the  liver. Some drugs are active as they are and require little of no metabolism. Keperra is such a drug, you pee out mostly Keppra unchanged. Avoiding the liver means fewer potential interactions.

Here is the PI for Keppra:

Metabolism

Levetiracetam is not extensively metabolized in humans. The major metabolic pathway is the enzymatic hydrolysis of the acetamide group, which produces the carboxylic acid metabolite, ucb L057 (24% of dose) and is not dependent on any liver cytochrome P450 isoenzymes. The major metabolite is inactive in animal seizure models. Two minor metabolites were identified as the product of hydroxylation of the 2-oxo-pyrrolidine ring (2% of dose) and opening of the 2-oxo-pyrrolidine ring in position 5 (1% of dose). There is no enantiomeric interconversion of levetiracetam or its major metabolite. Elimination Levetiracetam plasma half-life in adults is 7 ± 1 hour and is unaffected by either dose or repeated administration. Levetiracetam is eliminated from the systemic circulation by renal excretion as unchanged drug which represents 66% of administered dose.

Edited by notloki

All -

If you are knowledgeable about the action of a particular pharmaceutical, it would be most helpful to the board if you could give the rest of us a pointer to the source where you excavated your knowledge in the first place. Some of us like to read up. Also, it helps ensure that we get the straight dope (as it were) and nobody gets misled by statements that begin with "I've heard that..." or "Many people say..." etc. Not that anybody's doing that in this thread, but everybody just looks smarter when they're able to quote something, don't they?

I'm off to metabolize now.

Cerberus

18 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

All -

If you are knowledgeable about the action of a particular pharmaceutical, it would be most helpful to the board if you could give the rest of us a pointer to the source where you excavated your knowledge in the first place. Some of us like to read up. Also, it helps ensure that we get the straight dope (as it were) and nobody gets misled by statements that begin with "I've heard that..." or "Many people say..." etc. Not that anybody's doing that in this thread, but everybody just looks smarter when they're able to quote something, don't they?

I'm off to metabolize now.

Cerberus

Information on metabolism is almost always found in the prescribing information insert for most if not all drugs.