Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

zyprexa + prozac

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, wondering if anyone has taken zyprexa and prozac together, and if

so what was your experience with it (also what dosages). I'm hesistant

to try them together so any input would be most helpful.  ;)

Thx

zoozoo

Posted

I haven't tried them together, but it sounds like a hell of a combination for depression.  I tried prozac and risperidone, and that worked wonders.  I had to stop taking the prozac however and I went back to Zolofte which was not as good for me.  I am now on Effexor + seroquel.

Posted

Symbyax is a combination of Zyprexa and Prozac. It's indicated for bipolar depression. I took it and it didn't do anything for me, but I'm treatment-resistant.

Posted

I took symbyax for a little over a week and it started to make me manic. I'm bipolar, and really sensitive to SSRI's though. There wasn't enough zyprexa in the mix to totally squash mania. Anyway, I'm sure it has worked wonderfully for other people. YMMV

Posted

I have been taking Symbyax (combo of 6 mg zyprexa and 25mg of prozac) for about 4 weeks. It knocked out my bipolar depression within a week. I feel much better on this med than I have ever felt. I could never take anti depressants either so I am amazed that I can take 25mg of prozac. Anyway, good luck. This works for me, although I am a little scared of the diabetes connection and weight gain. So far I have only gained a couple pounds.

Chris

Hi, wondering if anyone has taken zyprexa and prozac together, and if

so what was your experience with it (also what dosages). I'm hesistant

to try them together so any input would be most helpful.

Posted

It's just made me fat and numb. It worked at first, as I was down deep in the black hole but now, just fat and numb.

Posted

The above was me. Grr.

Posted

Yes its certainly a common combo. Symbyax is a drug developed which has both prozac and zyprexa in the one pill.  Usually its better to take the two separately as you have wider dosage options.

In comparison, I am on paxil and seroquel, which is a similar combination.  I find it very useful.

Posted

Thx everyone for their comments. I tried the prozac + zyprexa and it caused me to have anxiety issues, so pdoc switched me to prozac + celexa and that was 10x worse for anxiety, so stopped that as well. pdoc says no more SSRIs for me  ;)