Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seroquel v. Trazodone

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Damn. I love Seroquel. It has helped with depression and anxiety. I'm still messed up, but this is the best I've ever felt. The closest to normal. This tells me that my dopamine is out of whack, and that's why I've had such INTENSE, unrelenting anxiety for my entire life.

Well, I have gained a lot of weight on SQ, and pdoc wants me off of it, due to fear of diabetes. I agree that it's dangerous, and I should probably stop the SQ. BUT, he wants me to switch to Trazodone for sleep!!!

Trazodone v. Seroquel? What a bunch of horseshit. I was on Traz 20 yrs ago, and the main thing I remember is being DRUGGED during the day from the dose I took at bedtime. I still had a ton of anxiety. Pdoc says maybe I wasn't on a high enough dose 20 yrs ago. I suppose that might be correct.

I am really worried about making this change.

Pdoc says that other AAPs will have the same diabetic/weight gain effect. He says that old fashioned APs will give me tardive dyskinesia.

I am scared and frustrated. On the positive side, I would love to drop the weight I've gained, and I don't want to be diabetic!!! I just wish he'd let me try another antipsychotic.

Any feedback, advice, similar experiences, etc?

Posted

I had to quit seroquel after gaining 100 pounds on it.

geodon and abilify are much more likely to be weight neutral, FWIW.

Posted

we've had different experiences on seroquel (you love it and i hated it), but the same reaction to traz. if you don't like it, it is your body, and don't take it. don't let your pdoc push you around. insist that you've tried it and hate it. when i tried it years ago, it made me such a zombie during the day that i couldn't drive or cook. i couldn't even read sometimes. those aren't good side effects! i got off of it pretty close to right away.

for sleep and anxiety, something that won't make you gain weight?...have you tried the new form of risperdal (can't remember the brand name right now) that is time released? a lot of people like risperdal. i had to quit it because of huge hormonal issues, but a lot of women can take it without issues. there are fewer issues (according to the pharma co) with the new form anyway. it does decrease nervousness, make you a bit sleepy, and feel generally mellow. i did like it.

you might want to talk to your pdoc about it.

also there's haldol. it is one of the ap drugs, but has a good side effect profile. i've taken it and it wasn't too terrible. it made me feel sedated (but not like a zombie) and mellow. i stopped taking it because i felt it made me personally too sedated. i'm not a sedated kind of person by nature.

Posted

I have been on Risperdal (I'm coming off it at the moment, but not because it was bad for me, just I don't need it anymore) and had a little weight gain (but that might be my other meds too) my prolactin has been okay and it has helped me with anxiety type stuff. Could be worth a try.

Posted

Since you're concerned about weight gain, I would suggest trying an older AP like Haldol I take it, it is pretty sedationg but I like it. . It's chemically similar to Risperdal w/o the weight problem. There is an increased risk of TD though. I gained 105 pounds between Zyprexa and Risperdal. Abilify and Geodon caused me severe Akathesia.

personally, I think traz is crap. But as they say, YMMV.

Posted

Of the typicals, mellaril is probobly the mildest and least likely to cause problems with TD.