Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

lamictal anxiety

53 posts in this topic

Posted

I mean, any one of the three meds I'm on could be causing anxiety (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin), but this only seemed to come about when Lamictal was added to the mix. Does anyone know if this anxiety decreases over time? I've been on it for...2.5 months? Presently taking 150mg.

Posted

I mean, any one of the three meds I'm on could be causing anxiety (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin), but this only seemed to come about when Lamictal was added to the mix. Does anyone know if this anxiety decreases over time? I've been on it for...2.5 months? Presently taking 150mg.

I read your post about how Lamictal helped you with your unipolar depression, and you also now seem to be having anxiety problems. This is just me, but I had (have) major anxiety aggression irritability issues to work with in taking this Lamictal. If it weren't SO worth it for depression, I'd throw in the towel, but this stuff has been my salvation too with depression. It's that nasty nastiness side effect that drives everyone to distraction with this stuff. Even 25mgs can make such a difference to me, not only with the depression, but also with the irritability and even weepiness. What I've finally got going now is 200mgs,which is the best spot for depression for me and an augmentation AP PRN stash for if and when I start getting feeling too good. It's sad that there's such a thing as feeling too good, but for me there is. The next thing I would get on 200mgs after a while would be the dreaded manic aggresive irritability and actual rage. Bummer. I really feel for you on this one. Finding the right dose is only half the battle apparently. Staying on the right dose and steering yourself along a razors edge seems to be the other half of the battle.

Yeh, to answer your question...Lamictal causes this anxiety. But HANG IN THERE! It's really worth all the crap in the end. Good luck! Hope you find your "sweet spot" soon.

Posted

I had to stop taking it because it made my anxiety worse.

Posted

Hey,

I was wondering if the anxiety with the Lamictal ever leveled out with you. I am also experiencing highly intense anxiety ever since I started Lamictal and Im only on 50mg. I have had major anxiety problems my entire life so I wasn't sure if it was the lamictal or just a flare up in anxiety. Let me know how you are feeling now.

Thanks,

Liz, nyc

Posted

I've been on Lamictal for 2 months now, am titrating up, presently on 100 mgs. Didn't notice any real anxiety until I reached the 100 mg dose. Thinking of asking my NP to put me on buspar, I don't like taking benzos.

Miss C.

Posted

I just started on Lamictal and it is driving me into an intense, sustained panic attack. I am on 25mg to buildup but my Dr. says the Lamictal should be actually reducing the anxiety, not causing it. I am on 150mg/d of Effexor for depression and anxiety and we added the Lamictal to provide some mood stabilization. Does anyone know if this anxiety is just part of my body adjusting to the new drug or should I quit now?

Posted

I just started on Lamictal and it is driving me into an intense, sustained panic attack. I am on 25mg to buildup but my Dr. says the Lamictal should be actually reducing the anxiety, not causing it. I am on 150mg/d of Effexor for depression and anxiety and we added the Lamictal to provide some mood stabilization. Does anyone know if this anxiety is just part of my body adjusting to the new drug or should I quit now?

Just for balance I want to say that Lamictal KO'd baseline anxiety for me. It came back with some major life triggers, but 1/4 ativan as needed helps with that. Anyway, just in case people are worrying that Lamictal will make them anxious I want to say for many it has the opposite effect.

Posted

I am so happy to find this site.

Over the past 6-7 months I have had waves of anxiety attacks that made me think that I am going mad. I have always had anxiety, but now I am crippled by it. I have constant sense of dread (again, I had that before Lamictal, but was able to function and get on well enough, which was not really well enough), and now I am basically crippled by it. Everything--everything--scares me.

I thought I was just going crazy--my family has history of paranoia and schizophrenia--because my doctor keeps assuring me that Lamictal reduces anxiety, but now I can see that many others on this med are experiencing this.

I don't know what to do. I think Lamictal has helped my depression (I am only on Lamictal--I am done with anti=depressants after trying them for 20 years), but my mood seems more chaotic because I am always scared, anxious, and nervous.

Even klonapin is not helping.

Ahhhh.

Posted

i had a higher anxiety level when first starting lamictal (25mg) it leveled out after a couple of weeks. im only titratating up an additional 25mg every 3 weeks. when i went up to 50mg, the anxiety went back up. i have one more week to go before i titrate up to 75mg and the anxiety has again leveled out. we'll see what happens when i titrate up to 75mg next week.....

but my point, i found the anxiety has increased with each dosage increase but has leveled off after a couple of weeks each time.

Posted

I have been on 200 MG at night for 4 months and they started me on 25MG in the morning. I did not know until today that it was causing the worst vivid dreams of my life.

They think it controls mania and I am not as depressed as when I was not on it. I am not sure I can go through another night as bad as last nights dreams.

I am thinking it might be ok to be depressed. I tried to wean myself back to 100Mg and found myself going back to bed in the day. I don't want to alarm anyone and I think this med has some good effects. I sleep more than when I was depressed. Can't seem to put it all together as I have all of my life.

I am not sure what to do. Good luck to you!!!

Posted

I've been taking 75 mgs/day of Lamictal (for epilepsy) for a year and a half, and didn't notice any anxiety side effects till last month, when my unemployment stipend ended. I've dealt with anxiety before, but I've never had symptoms like cold hands and feet and shivering, like I'm having now. My neurologist said the Lamictal could be contributing to these side effects, but since I don't want to be on any medications that would slow down my thinking, I should look into how to cope with the anxiety in other ways besides taking another drug. I'm exercising three times a week, looking into yoga classes, and seeing a cognitive behavior therapist. If the weird physical symptoms don't subside, I'll be looking into other options.

Posted

When I first began taking lamictal, I was already on klonopin for social and general anxiety. So when I first got on this... it made my anxiety worse and I had to up my dose of klonopin, because I really wanted to see if Lamictal was right for me. So upping the dose for my benzo worked well for me and after awhile the extra anxiety seemed to fade for me.

Posted

I, too, seem to be having some anxiety related to the Lamictal. I think I had a some anxiety problems before while I was on Cymbalta (at least I was getting really sweaty palms which tends to be a sign of anxiety), but it seems to be worse now--at least it's at a level I can recognize it.

I'm currently on 50mg working my way up. It seems to be helping to control my racing thoughts and is helping me to sit still for longer and increasing my attention span, but this anxiety is killing me. It seems to get worse day by day.

I have an appointment with my pdoc on Tuesday. I guess I'll talk to her about it then and see what she says.

If anyone here has learned anything or changed anything, let me know; it'd be appreciated.

Posted

It was quite stimulating for me and triggered rapid cycling. Others find it to be a miracle drug.

Posted

I, too, seem to be having some anxiety related to the Lamictal. I think I had a some anxiety problems before while I was on Cymbalta (at least I was getting really sweaty palms which tends to be a sign of anxiety), but it seems to be worse now--at least it's at a level I can recognize it.

I'm currently on 50mg working my way up. It seems to be helping to control my racing thoughts and is helping me to sit still for longer and increasing my attention span, but this anxiety is killing me. It seems to get worse day by day.

I have an appointment with my pdoc on Tuesday. I guess I'll talk to her about it then and see what she says.

If anyone here has learned anything or changed anything, let me know; it'd be appreciated.

The same thing is happening to me with the Lamictal. I'm working my dosage up slowly, only at 25mg for last week, started at 12.5mg for 1 wk, but the anxiety is getting worse every day. Even the ativan doesn't seem to help the anxiety. Don't know if I should keep taking it or not.

Karen

Posted

afaik and also from personal experience, lamictal works a bit different at different doses. lower doses cause nasty stuff namely mania (which can sometimes feel like anxiety), cycling, being edgy, being obnoxious *lol* etc.) but when you hit 200 - 300 mg, it is less activating and more stabilizing it might even make you something between mellow to very tired. i went through hell while i was titrating up.

Posted

The same thing is happening to me with the Lamictal. I'm working my dosage up slowly, only at 25mg for last week, started at 12.5mg for 1 wk, but the anxiety is getting worse every day. Even the ativan doesn't seem to help the anxiety. Don't know if I should keep taking it or not.

Karen

Karen-

I'm finally better with it. I'm not experiencing the anxiety like I was. Keep at it and let us know how it goes.

Posted

I started to have more rapid cycling mixed states after 150mgs of lamictal. Valium stopped working for the anxiety at 250mgs lamictal.

The only thing that did work was adding 25 mgs seroquel. I have a good base-line calm now and the valium works again as an as needed when I know I'll be in an anxiety provoking situation.

I think adding a lose dose AP to high doses of lamictal can do the trick - IMO

Posted

I am having the worst anxiety of my life. I have been titrating up on Lamictal for 3 weeks now. I am currently taking 150 mgs. Can someone give me hope that this will go away? Sometimes I cant even function at all because of it. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I am going crazy!

Posted

Its taken me a couple of months to hit 150....I titrated ultra slow and 150 is the balance point at the moment......trying two hundred when I'm not down in the dumps gets me very anxious and speedy. I don't recommend it but I am a big fan of benzos for all those times when ya gotta show up and not be twitchy......so I'm backing down to regular one fifty ....200 for hellish despair days.

Hope that helps

cheers

Posted

Karen.....

I was on Zoloft for severe depression and anxiety. My MD started me on Lamictal at the same time. I've been on 100mg of Zoloft and titrated up on the Lamictal over a mos. to 200mg. While I was titrating up, I seemed be feeling better. I've been on the 200mg for about 2 mos. now. For the past few weeks, here is what I've been feeling:

Shakiness out of bed in a.m. with headache and really out of it. After I'm up and drink some coffee I seem to chill out a little, but all day, I'm feeling anxiety which is a different anxiety than I was feeling before starting the meds. Hard to explain, but even the Benzos don't seem to touch it much and I've been taking extra Klonopin and Xanax as a result, again to no avail. I also feel shaky and have small tremors and excellerated heart rate at times during the day. I started looking on the net and seeing people were having similar symptoms as I was on the Lamictal. This may sound crazy, but yesterday, I cut the dose from 200mg down to 100mg and I'm feeling much better. My doctor initially thought I was having Bipolar II, but I have no mania at all, just anxiety/depression which all started after my brother died 18 mos. ago, besides that I was functioning just fine as an RN x15 years. I am definately feeling better since cutting the dose down, and it's no placebo effect, I can assure you of that. Feel free to email me at GARY1RN@YAHOO.COM I have done extensive research on this disorder and understand it down to the cellular level. I know how all the meds work including what neurotransmitters are being affected, etc.

Gary BSN, RN

Karen

Posted

i have been taking lamictal for depression for at least 2.5 months. i titrated up to 100mg, couldnt sleep for weeks, very anxious. but i have ptsd, so i get anxious at times. my doc titrated me back down to 75mg, not much change. after at least a week, titrated down once more, this time to 50 mg, & now i can sleep if i take a 25 mg in the morning & a 25 mg in the afternoon.

however, i just spoke to my dr to check in, & she told me that her patients on lamictal are having problems with arousal (of the CNS, not the sexual kind). so i told her how i have been so anxious, having flashbacks & panic attacks & frequently GRINDING anxiety; sometimes even xanax doesnt work. so apparently, lamictal is being seen JUST lately as possibly causing some anxiety, sleeplessness, etc.

here i thought that digging deeply in to my trauma issues in therapy lately to work on resolving them caused me to re-experience this way, but all along i have suspected the lamictal in assisting my anxiety...i just did not want to consider it since i cannot tolerate the antidepressants...or much else. i am extremely sensitive. for my anxiety & ptsd, i take a .25 mg tablet of xanax & cut it into quarters. 1 quarter keeps me sane during the tough periods.

this is a recent development in lamictal's noticed side-effects. my doc is GOOD, she just started seeing this in her patients.

additional side-effects i have gotten is wicked constipation (i have tummy troubles anyway!), stupefyingly bad acne breakouts on my face & chest, but even more so on my neck. no matter what i do, i cannot stop the breakouts.

maybe lamictal isnt the drug for me (this would come as no surprise), but i am concerned w/going off it b/c i am a grad student taking time & a half classes, plus working, pus dealing w/ptsd...my stress level is high, i do not want to become depressed again. i have too much riding on me right now!

cheers & good luck to you all, you all rock for this helpful info you have posted!!!

Posted

This is a great thread!

Lamictal was a lifesaver for me for 5 years before I started having massive panic attacks. For most of the time I was taking around 400 mgs ... but at the end I think I was at 450 and titrated down from there.

Anyway I've been on Lithium for the past year to no avail--I've been progressively worse-- depressed, exhausted and unmotivated and miserable.. Geodon was very bad on my system. I've been floundering between doctors (my doctor of those yeras who was excellent went on sabbatacal). Finally, the hospital replaced him and I had my second appointment today with his replacement.

He suggested (and I was wondering if anyone else has had this replacement) that I try to go back on the Lamictal (slowly triating up) while staying on topamax (currently 150 mgs but will probably go up at the next visit) to curb the mania/anxiety and wiht abilify to also help curb anxiety/mania/depression. I also take ativan to sleep and for any acute panic attacks during the day (2mg to sleep but only a 1/4 tablet if during the day or a 1/4 - 1/2 xanax).

I was more then happy to give it a shot as lamictal was the only thing that ever helped me for any length of time.

:-)

Susan

Posted

i just went up from 50mg to 100mg after a month on the drug and ive been having vivid dreams and waking up in a state of panic. my anxiety has been getting worse every day for the last three days ive dialed up the dose, until now where its so bad i cant leave my house. i think i may lose my mind if my doc doesnt call back soon! it makes me feel alot better to know that im not the only one with this problem on this drug. im taking it for bipolar II and it helps alot with depression but the anxiety is worse than ever.

Posted

Hi,

note that i have a lot of fear posting on a thread thats mostly been visited by "guest." if you are not a member, please dont respond to me. or at least take the time to sign up. its free.

however, since this is something that is happening to me i actually some-what searched and found this thread.

i take all my meds at night.

the time between taking my lamictal 200mg tablet and the time that i actually fall asleep (which can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours) is filled with crushing anxiety. the kind where i tell baby's daddy "i think im going to die in my sleep" anxiety.

just typing this makes me think im not gonna wake up tomorrow.

i discussed this with my pdoc at last visit which was 2 weeks ago and he threw more xanax at it. but xanax only works some of the time.

ive tried other things like drinking more milk (since i take all meds at night, i always take with milk because im just like that). or camomile (sp) tea. i also do a lot of deep breathing and the yoga nose breathing tricks (breathe in one nostril out the other, or the same).

so if there are any members who have experienced this or have other ideas let me know. i called pdoc office and was told he can get me in next week (which is a few days earlier than my regularly scheduled appt).

db