Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vunja

long term daily ativan

56 posts in this topic

Recently my stepdad committed suicide, he had been taking ativan for almost four years daily. His doctor told him it was fine. Not until after his death did my mother and I start really doing our research for this drug. We couldn't understand how such a wonderful man with such a passion for life could really mean to do such a thing.

First off, I'm sorry you had to find your father like that. I do know what it is like to have the vision of a parent imprinted in your memory.

Please understand that, while there are negligent doctors and overprescribers out there, it is not likely that your father would have been prescribed daily ativan for four years for "mild depression." It is not a drug used for depression. It is an anti-anxiety medication. Perhaps the reason that your father could have a passion for life was because the ativan freed him from his anxiety, worry, and panic attacks?

If you feel something was done wrong, request a copy of your father's complete medical file from the doctor that treated him (you will have to pay a per page fee for this). It generally takes 3-7 days for this to be prepared. But please be prepared for what you find in that file; patients often tell their doctors things they don't tell their loved ones for fear of worrying them.

I went from Klonopin daily - then it lost effectiveness. Tried Ativan daily - was like eating candy, no effect. The answer for me was Valium, and I don't even need as much as I've been prescribed.

I have been taking Ativan at a dosage of 2mg each 3 times a day for 6 months now. I am starting to feel that it is NOT working as good as it use to. (of course)

I am going to have a talk with my psychDr next visit about maybe changing to a different Benzo and try it a while. But I have had no ill effects from taking it at that dosage these 6 months.

I have been taking Ativan at a dosage of 2mg each 3 times a day for 6 months now. I am starting to feel that it is NOT working as good as it use to. (of course)

I am going to have a talk with my psychDr next visit about maybe changing to a different Benzo and try it a while. But I have had no ill effects from taking it at that dosage these 6 months.

Very Concerned Reader, I am very sorry for your loss. I have had friends commit suicide, and that was hard enough, I cannot imagine if I had a parent do it.

I just wanted to point out to you, since your dad was seeing a Psychiatrist, it is going to be very hard, if not impossible, to pin the suicide on the MD. Suicide is a common outcome of depression and anxiety, and even the best Dr. is not going to succeed at preventing every patient from taking their own life. Since it is a known possible outcome, he is going to easily be able to defend his decisions on how to treat your dad.

Also, the Medical community is very insular, and it will be hard to get someone to testify on your behalf, unless there was a really egregious error. Even then, it will be hard. They stick up for each other.

I am telling you this as an attorney, and the daughter of a p-doc (who actually has testified in cases against other doctors, but that was a whole branch of his practice, forensic psychiatry).

Definitely get his records, though, you never know what you may find.

Why not just switch to another benzo for awhile and then switch back?

Ya grapefruit juice interacts with both xanax and ativan. Go to this site : Drug Interaction Checker. It's a drug interaction checker and type in xanax, ativan, and grapefruit juice and it will tell you about it. It's actually a very useful tool, I recommend bookmarking it. Good luck on you ventures to get high on prescription meds. ;)

Ya grapefruit juice interacts with both xanax and ativan. Go to this site : Drug Interaction Checker. It's a drug interaction checker and type in xanax, ativan, and grapefruit juice and it will tell you about it. It's actually a very useful tool, I recommend bookmarking it. Good luck on you ventures to get high on prescription meds. ;)

hello. i haven't posted for a while -- i've been doing pretty well, and when i'm not well i get myself really busy to forget about it. ;)

i've been taking ativan daily for about four years now... i think. maybe only three. (i've been taking prozac with it for that amount of time, also.) i'm curious about the med's long term side effects, or whether any develop. i looked on google a little, but it's really hard to find accurate information about any mental meds because they are so controversial. the first google link for "long term prozac" is pretty scary, but without much proof to back it up.

i've started twitching a lot, and weirdly, lately. i've also developed other weirdnesses at about the same time (knee & hip pain) which i think are because of something seperate from my mental & med situation, so i want to find out what's with the twitching, because it doesn't really fit in anywhere.

also, i know that ativan isn't even approved for daily usage. (is it?) i know it's not good. i've had a few ER or unfamiliar doctors flip out on me. "you can't take ativan every day!" but i do, and at last check, i have to. i'm thinking about going off of it for the summer and experimenting with the idea of taking it on an as-needed basis rather than a daily basis, but i'm really worried about that. there just aren't many drugs for everyday panic and GAD in general except for SSRIs, and those do absolutely nothing for anxiety for me. also because i've had to slowly raise it a few times, because it lost it's efficacy, and i'm starting to reach the limit. (i have talked to my pdoc about this - he said that ativan shouldn't really be taken daily, but that i've got such bad anxiety that if it works, it's what i'm going to use.)

i'd like to find more information on prozac & ativan, but at the moment it's just ativan i'm more concerned with. anyone know a reputable source for information like this? or do i just need to take everything with a grain of salt?

thank you. <3

hi i have taken ativan on and off for 2 years now....no problems with it at all.

I take it during semesters then stop cold turkey....with no probs at all,m this is after taking 2-3mg a day for 12 weeks.

It works wonders....it is better to "experiment with the drug yourself-some doctors can be really dumb about the advice they give(almost scare tactics) when they have never even taken it themselves.

Check out ask a paitent.com it has some reviews on ativan-BUT- take it with a pinch of salt as every one reacts differently.

If it works for you, and you are healthy take it daily-it will ease anxiety big time.

I will use it for years to come

One thing to keep in mind is there are no long term clinical trials for prescription drugs. By long term i mean 20-30 years. can you imagine the cost and difficulty. Hence I do not think we can ever know for certain if a drug is totally safe. Benzo's look good other than the withdrawel crap which can be hellish for many-but do we really know? They argued about tobacco for a long time before it was finally indicted for causing lung cancer. Most people can smoke disease free for quite some time, so with drugs we just really don't know for sure.

I take ativan and lexapro but I do so realizing there are unkowns as to their long term effects. Just because prozac or ativan have been around for 20-30 years does not mean they are safe-! look at tylenol and aspirin as examples. Some people die taking these drugs and they are over the counter and been around forever. Sure we know people are not popping off left and right from these drugs, and rodent experiments are also reassuring, but still anecdotal evidence is just not enough to say for certain that these drugs do not, over a long period of time, cause serious side effects in some people.

Sorry to be such a downer;-(

but thats how I honestly see it.

I think that if a med has been out for decades that has given enough time for unknown side effects to show themselves. It is worth something when people have been continuously taking a med for decades without problems. Benzos have been on market for 51 years (Librium). No flipper babies have emerged. They are considered some of the safest meds.

nf

Their are studies of long term users of benzos suffering brain damage-granted the studies are mixed-the best guess is that benzo's like alchohol can cause permanent damage to cognitive functioning after many years of excess usage (drug abusers) So yeah if taken within the prescribed dosage range benzos are very safe as far as we know-but they could be effecting people in subtle ways who use them long term and especially at the highest dosages-and heck we know for certain that they mess with your cognitive abilities while we are on them.

Their are studies of long term users of benzos suffering brain damage-granted the studies are mixed-the best guess is that benzo's like alchohol can cause permanent damage to cognitive functioning after many years of excess usage (drug abusers) So yeah if taken within the prescribed dosage range benzos are very safe as far as we know-but they could be effecting people in subtle ways who use them long term and especially at the highest dosages-and heck we know for certain that they mess with your cognitive abilities while we are on them.

Post your brain damage studies, please.

nf

1. ^ Schmauss C; Krieg JC (November 1987). "Enlargement of cerebrospinal fluid spaces in long-term benzodiazepine abusers". Psychol Med 17 (4): 869–73. doi:10.1017/S0033291700000660. PMID 2893406.
  2. ^ Borg S; Bergman H, Engelbrektson K, Vikander B. (1989). "Dependence on sedative-hypnotics: neuropsychological impairment, field dependence and clinical course in a 5-year follow-up study". British journal of addiction. 84 (5): 547–53. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.1989.tb00612.x. PMID 2743035.
  3. ^ Borg S; Bergman H, Holm L. (1 February 1980). "Neuropsychological impairment and exclusive abuse of sedatives or hypnotics". The American journal of psychiatry. 137 (2): 215–7. PMID 7352578. http://www.ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/2/215.
  4. ^ Kitabayashi Y, Ueda H, Narumoto J, et al. (2001). "Chronic high-dose nitrazepam dependence 123I-IMP SPECT and EEG studies". Addict Biol 6 (3): 257–261. doi:10.1080/13556210120056507. PMID 11900604.
  5. ^ van Hiele LJ (January 1981). "[Can lorazepam be distinguished from other short-acting benzodiazepines in regard to brain damage and withdrawal symptoms?]" (in Dutch; Flemish). Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 125 (4): 156. PMID 6111030.
  6. ^ Moodley, P; Golombok, S; Shine, P; Lader, M (Aug 1993). "Computed axial brain tomograms in long-term benzodiazepine users.". Psychiatry research 48 (2): 135–44. doi:10.1016/0165-1781(93)90037-H. PMID 8105500.
  7. ^ Lennane, Kj (May 1986). "Treatment of benzodiazepine dependence.". The Medical journal of Australia 144 (11): 594–7. ISSN 0025-729X. PMID 2872582. http://www.benzo.org.uk/lennane.htm.
  8. ^ Lader, Mh; Ron, M; Petursson, H (Feb 1984). "Computed axial brain tomography in long-term benzodiazepine users.". Psychological medicine 14 (1): 203–6. doi:10.1017/S0033291700003214. ISSN 0033-2917. PMID 6143338.
  9. ^ Schmauss, C; Krieg, Jc (Nov 1987). "Enlargement of cerebrospinal fluid spaces in long-term benzodiazepine abusers.". Psychological medicine 17 (4): 869–73. doi:10.1017/S0033291700000660. ISSN 0033-2917. PMID 2893406.
  10. ^ Perera, Km; Powell, T; Jenner, Fa (Aug 1987). "Computerized axial tomographic studies following long-term use of benzodiazepines.". Psychological medicine 17 (3): 775–7. doi:10.1017/S0033291700026003. ISSN 0033-2917. PMID 2888147.
  11. ^ Busto, Ue; Bremner, Ke; Knight, K; Terbrugge, K; Sellers, Em (Feb 2000). "Long-term benzodiazepine therapy does not result in brain abnormalities.". Journal of clinical psychopharmacology 20 (1): 2–6. doi:10.1097/00004714-200002000-00002. PMID 10653201.

1. ^ Busto, Ue; Bremner, Ke; Knight, K; Terbrugge, K; Sellers, Em (Feb 2000). "Long-term benzodiazepine therapy does not result in brain abnormalities.". Journal of clinical psychopharmacology 20 (1): 2–6. doi:10.1097/00004714-200002000-00002. PMID 10653201.

Edited by notfred

http://journals.lww....e_Decline.9.asp

This was a larger trial and may be of more interest.

Yep, benzos are not too good for the old folks...the same can be said for AP's, too.

However, none of you studies constitutes "brain damage".

nf

Edited by notfred

And if it effects older folks negatively how do we know it does not effect long term users? Here is a news article on the issue of "brain damage"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/check-on-benzodiazepineuse-must-be-done-say-mps-2151707.html

I take ativan myself and me thinks it is relatively safe-but I generally take the position that all drugs are guilty until proven innocent and that means almost no drug is totally innocent and hence we should be careful with them and not take any more than is needed. We also know from MRI studies that Benzo's cause brain alterations or changes-whether or not that constitutes actual brain damage is probably a matter of semantics.

I take ativan for insomnia. It is the only thing that ever works. I alternate between taking a 1mg or cutting it in half about a 1/2 before bedtime. I'm 30 yrs old and I can't tell you how much this drug has improved my life. I've been an insomniac all my life. It seems to run in my family. During the day I'm calm as a cucumber but as soon as my head would hit the pillow every worry in the world would come crashing down on me. Ativan changed all that. I cannot tell you what a joy life has become getting a regular 8 hrs sleep like normal people. I stress this is the only thing that works for me. About every two weeks I go off it for about three days and have never had any nasty withdrawals. Just back to a little bit of insomnia. I hope that this will help in keeping me from building up a tolerance. As this is the only thing that works I would hate for it to stop being useful. Every other insomnia drug I've ever taken worked like a charm for about three weeks. Then I would get EVERY side effect that would be listed. LONG LIVE ATIVAN!!!

Eh. My brain was "damaged" long ago and the drug use probably didn't help much either.... So, I kind of don't freak out on that, much.

It is also known that some drugs cause brain REPAIR. So let's not be all nancy negative here, K?

I sort of tend to think if it works for you and you aren't experiencing negative effects, and it's working, don't fear monger, man.

I don't habituate to benzos, I can stay at the same dose for months at a time, and tapering them is pretty easy when I am UN-manic. When I am manic, tapering them is just... stupid.

ETOH stoppage/tapering was ALSO easy for me.

If the guy finds ativan has improved his life and he isn't taking more and more and craving it... good for him!

Really, my brain is so fucked, I no longer CARE what I add in there. And I know whether what I'm adding is harmful RIGHT NOW or not by how I feel.

Long term, fuck it. I'd rather have dementia later or something, and/or die young and functional than live like I was.

I would have had to be institutionalized back in the dark ages. Seriously. No life, no kid, no job, no nothing. I am slightly dumber on drugs probably, than I was in my prime before MI hit at all, but I still think I'm smart enough to be PRETTY DAMN SMART.

And all the pot/ETOH/shrooms/acid/etc., well, we don't know what effect THAT had, either. Maybe it was all THAT.

So, go for it ativan guy, would be my advice.

Anna

snip

It looks like you just copy-pasted the first 11 citations from a Wikipedia article. You should probably tell us which article they came from. That list wasn't made in a vacuum.

Pretty much all of the studies in that list show evidence of brain damage in long-term, high-dose abusers or the elderly. Not so much the lower doses use we normally see in psychiatric settings.

Edited by Aurochs

snip

It looks like you just copy-pasted the first 11 citations from a Wikipedia article. You should probably tell us which article they came from. That list wasn't made in a vacuum.

Pretty much all of the studies in that list show evidence of brain damage in long-term, high-dose abusers or the elderly. Not so much the lower doses use we normally see in psychiatric settings.

I did copy from wiki-I cut the ones that were referenced on their page regarding brain damage controversy. Hey I am not afraid of the drug-as I said take it myself-OTOH I doubt it hurts to be informed about what we put in our bodies. Although I suppose it may be more comfortable to not know-I guess i'm just that kind of guy that loves to learn about this stuff-hell I figure when I posted the stuff people can look at it or ignore it-not trying to make people feel bad-really!

Ativan saved my career. I would have lost my job because I get really worked up when I have to chair a controversial meeting. This happens a couple times a month on average and I always take a 1 Mg tablet about 3 hours before the meeting and everything is really cool-also use it for sleep occasionally when i am really stressed out and occasional agoraphobic panic attacks etc.

So please don't take this the wrong way-its just my nature-i love reading everything i can get my hands on about any drug i am taking and just thought others might want to read this stuff-and yeah I am definately more cautious with the drug because of all that reading, but I figure thats good-least thats the way I see it.