CrazyBoards.org

tek

Anyone take Adderall & Effexor?

I just went into the doc yesterday with a major panick attack. I had been on effexor for about a month and started adderall last friday. The nurse did a search on meds that should NOT be mixed, and adderall and effexor was one of them. I was fine on the adderall for the first 3 days, then the 4th day started feeling a bit anxious, and by yesterday (wed), I was freaking out. She looked at the symptoms of adderall and effexor mixed and it was exactly what I was going through. It was the worst feeling in the world. She said that it has a delayed response, so you will be fine for a few days, and then at about day 4 or 5 is when it hits. If you can get off of the effexor now do it. It is also the worst drug to try to get off of because of the withdrawl symptoms. Brain zaps, anger, frustration, anxiety, just a horrible feeling. I am seeing the doc today to decide what to do as the adderall was helping for a few days. I have been on anxiety/depression meds for years, and none of them seemed to work, so I was actually weaning off of the effexor. I am at 37.5 mg a day, and will be figuring out what to do today. Also effexor stays in your system for up to a week after your last pill, so I would recommend not taking anything and starting the adderall again in a week. Good luck.

How did this go for you? Looks like you were/are on the same dosage I am currently, at least for the Effexor. Did the symptoms with the Adderall go away when you went off the Effexor?

I have been on an EffexorXR + Adderall combo for about five years now. The mix is absolutely the only thing ever to budge my treatment-resistant double-depression. I had been taking a high dose of EffexorXR (450mg/day) and that took most of the edge off the depression, but didn't quite do the job. Then I switched to my current pdoc and he added 30mg of Adderall, and suddenly my head was above water. I was still treading, but at least my head was out. Since then, I've tried various permutations in dosage, but I've pretty much settled on EffexorXR 450, Adderall 10. Adderall 20mg actually works slightly better, but it causes me to clench my teeth unmercifully, to the point that I'm actually breaking teeth and losing fillings. So, down to 10. It seems that in addition to treating the serotonin/norepinephrine/dopamine problems, I also need some level of central nervous system stimulus to get my brain working somewhere near normally. The Adderall doesn't give me any feeling of being high, or euphoric, in any way, and never did except the very first week, when I remember being unusually chatty.

Cerberus

I also think that less adderall is better than more. Vyvanse (sp?) is another amphetamine prescribed for ADD but is supposed to have less negative side effects than adderall. One dose lasts all day and from what I have been told, it does not make you as anxious/nervous/jittery as adderall. Unfortunately there is not a generic for vyvanse so I believe it fairly expensive.

I take Vyvanse currently. Compared to Adderall, I feel like it has a much more controllable release to it. Adderall was like my brain was shot out of a cannon, and then quickly returned to the ground soon after. Nearly all the time you I was on it, I felt like I was about to peak, or was coming back down. Where as Vyvanse has a much longer plateau to get things done on. Vyvanse has (or at least had) a deal where they would cover half your copay for the first year you take it. So, it isnt too terribly expensive, but its still going to cost more.

Is it worth it? I think so.

Back to Effexor. If it is as much like Pristiq as their chemical formulas are, stay the heck away from that crap! Worst withdrawal of any drug I have taken. Worst mood swings I have ever had. Not good.

So I take Wellbutrin with my Vyvanse. For all those who are concerned about seizure risk, I encourage you to do more research into the matter. It is correct to say that Wellbutrin has a higher risk than any other AD, but the total risk is still pretty dang low. Like if most SSRIs are .001% then Wellbutrin is .002%. You are splitting hairs in my opinion.

I was curious about other people's reactions to these two medications, since for me, I don't think they worked well together. I have been on effexor xr 150mg for about 3 years now. It has its good qualities as well as bad. It got rid of my depression and panic attacks and reduced my anxiety, however as all of you know who have been on it, it has horrible withdrawal symptoms. If I miss a day of not taking it, I feel extremely sick and my whole body feels fuzzy and like its pulsing. I don't want to move, and I cannot stop crying. Its the worst feeling. So if you are on this med I highly recommend not quiting it cold turkey. It also makes me less emotionally attached..that numb feeling. And zero sex drive :/ As far as adderall I have taken it once every so often if I needed to pull an all nighter, and it made me more motivated and focused to get things done. I recently started taking 20mg 2-3 times a day (still being on effexor) and for the first two days it was bearable. I was clenching my jaw the whole time, and had really bad cotton mouth, but it was worth the side effects since I could get a lot done. But after a couple days of taking it I started getting a horrible headache that would not go away, even if I took pain relief meds. I started feeling nauseous, and even though I was hungry I could barely eat anything. I felt weird. I got easily agitated, would be distant, and zone out. I still had a little motivation but the side affects were making me not want to do anything since I felt so sick. I also think it made the effexor not as effective. I started to feel depressed and would have random crying spells. I want to be able to take adderall but the way it makes me feel now is just not worth it. 

Is there anything else out there that helps you stay focused but doesn't have the bad side effects? 

On June 4, 2007 at 9:02 PM, Sunshine said:

I was on Adderall and Cymbalta, which is as close to Effexor as anything else. I never found that I could get by with less Adderall, but since depression can exacerbate ADD symptoms, alleviating the depression may cause you to need less Adderall.

I'm currently on Adderall 30mg ER and Cymbalta 60mgs., I was on Effexor 150 mugs. Prior but Dr. switched to Cymbalta. I've noticed the last month and half I just can't get enough Chocolate, Pastries, candy ect. basically Constantly a Sweet tooth. I now am Gaining weight in which is driving me crazy. Has anyone else experiencing these cravings also ? I'm thinking I need to switch back to Effexor immediately. I was wondering if anyone takes this Combo and what time do you take the Effexor ? Can it be taken at the same time I take my Adderall or should I take it in the afternoon or evening?

Thank you all in Advance for your input & help. Today is my 1st day on this site.

PS. I Also want to Wish All the Mothers out there a Very Happy Mothers Day in Advance.

I've been on 300mg of effexor xr since about 2002. Briefly tried switching to Pristiq awhile back but didn't notice any improvement in current symptoms so went back to effexor since it's generic. I take 5-10mg of adderall once a day, in the morning at the same time as my effexor. I crave sweets and carbs but mainly at night usually close to bedtime when I take mirtazapine which is known for causing munchies. However, I think I used to be better at controlling the cravings as my weight was always normal until the past few years when I gained over a hundred pounds.

3 hours ago, aquarian said:

I've been on 300mg of effexor xr since about 2002. Briefly tried switching to Pristiq awhile back but didn't notice any improvement in current symptoms so went back to effexor since it's generic. I take 5-10mg of adderall once a day, in the morning at the same time as my effexor. I crave sweets and carbs but mainly at night usually close to bedtime when I take mirtazapine which is known for causing munchies. However, I think I used to be better at controlling the cravings as my weight was always normal until the past few years when I gained over a hundred pounds.

Hi Aquarian, Have you ever been on Cymbalta ? I really feel this is the reason for all my gaining of weight, when I was on Effexor 150mgs. I Never had a Sweet tooth, now being on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months that's all I do is Crave sweets, Chocolate, Pastries. Also I was wondering if anyone it's OK to take Effexor & Adderall at the same time or should I just take the Effexor in the evening?

4 hours ago, Katherine Neff said:

Hi Aquarian, Have you ever been on Cymbalta ? I really feel this is the reason for all my gaining of weight, when I was on Effexor 150mgs. I Never had a Sweet tooth, now being on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months that's all I do is Crave sweets, Chocolate, Pastries. Also I was wondering if anyone it's OK to take Effexor & Adderall at the same time or should I just take the Effexor in the evening?

No, I've never taken Cymbalta.

Im on 30mg of adderall twice a day and my doctor started me on 37.5 of venaflaxin and told me to take at night for about 3 hours I was dancing and singing around the house I woke up with my mouth like sand paper and my body feels heavy and a little weird feeling but will see how the day goes

No but Effexor is definitely stimulating and I had much better focus and concentration when I was on the higher dosages.

It's a solid medication.  If it wasn't for the sexual side effect, I would still be up at 300mg....

I currently take Vyvanse and prefer it to Adderall for many of the reasons previously prescribed in this thread. I don't have poop-out in the mid to late afternoon. It lasts me all the way through until it's time to go to bed and the Depakote and loxapine make sure it doesn't give me insomnia. Vyvanse also doesn't make me feel like someone lit a fire under my ass like Adderall does.....unless I drink too much coffee...then I'm just asking for it. Definitely less jitters and overall smoother release than the generic Adderall XR

As for the Effexor vs Pristiq argument, I actually preferred Pristiq when I was taking it and the only reason I switched from Pristiq to Effexor XR was loss of insurance and the new insurance wouldn't cover it. One difference that I noticed is that Pristiq was much more forgiving if you missed a dose. I would feel withdrawal from Effexor if I missed it by so much as 2-4 hours. Don't get me wrong, Pristiq has a short half-life as well and I would feel some withdrawal but Effexor was definitely worse in my opinion.

Yes I am taking both of these, my life has changed drastically for the better because of these two drugs but I feel it could be better still.  For some reason after i take my adderall I get REALLY tired, sometimes I even have to lay down and take a nap.  Have you experienced anything like this?

I know its a really old post but do you have any updates?

It's funny bc I have the exact opposite reaction as a lot of you in that I am agitated, irritable and grouchy WITHOUT these two drugs.

Hello to all.  I have been on Effexor XR 150mg for over 5 years now with good results.  Last week I upped the Effexor to 225mg because I feel slipping to being sad,  down on myself and recycling my old thoughts, unmotivated, not focused etc.  For me that's typical of going downhill and the onset of depression.  Hence the reason for upping my Effexor XR.  I took Adderall IR 10mg (twice a day as needed) 3 years ago when I was depressed again and it worked well for me.  I did not take Adderall every day but I took my Effexor XR dosage of 225mg daily back then.  I recall I did not feel "high" nor climbing the walls on Adderall but I believe it helped until the full effects of Effexor kicked in. It was a low Adderall dosage anyway and I did not abuse it plus I'm don't really enjoy taking meds if I don't need them.  I took Adderall for only 2-3 months and I was also working a part-time job at the time so I believe it did make me focus and concentrate on work.  One of the major issues for me was the lack of concentration, focus, motivation and sadness when depressed.  Adderall added to Effexor XR helped me with all those symptoms.   

After 2-3 months on Adderall I notice not needing it as much (because the full effects of Effexor kicked in I'm assuming) so my doctor stopped the prescription of it. Working on a job that I liked also contributed to my overall improvement.  After 6 months I also lowered the dosage of Effexor XR back down to 150mg, which I was taking daily in the mornings daily until recently.  I lost my job a couple of months ago and I'm still unemployed so that's part of my issues now.  My pdoctor did not prescribed Adderall this time around and I didn't really pushed for it and I want to see if the higher dosage of Effexor to 225mg does the trick (without Adderall) this time.  If I feel still sad and unmotivated in a couple of weeks I will go back to the doctor and ask to add Adderall like last time.   Will see....

As far as Effexor is concerned I do not get bad withdrawal symptoms if I miss a day or two.  Just get light-headed and some headache but nothing terrible.  I get back to feeling normal when I take my dosage the next day.  So to summarize, my experience of using Effexor XR and Adderall IR was a good one for me but remember that everyone reacts different to meds and your experience might be different.   

Good luck to all 

Hello again and I'm hoping everyone is doing well. 

It's been a few months since I responded to this thread but I wanted to provide an update on taking Effexor ER (generic) and Adderall IR (generic) and stimulants in general.  This is ONLY MY PERSONAL experience and please remember that everyone reacts different to medications. I'm a male adult 50+ about 5'10"  and 180lbs.

As I mentioned on my post above, I have been on Effexor ER for many years mostly on 150mg daily. I take it in the mornings and usually it has a stimulating effect on me. In March of this year, I changed psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with adult ADD (took a computer test at doctor's office) and a month later she also said I might have a Bipolar II disorder!! The news was a major shock for me because I was only had been treated for Anxiety and Depression previously.

The doctor first prescribed Vyvanse for me but my insurance did not cover it. So she switched me to Adderall IR (10mg x 2 daily) to try.  I had taken Adderall IR (generic) a few years ago for just a few months. After the second week on Effexor ER 150mg + Adderall IR 10mg x 2 my blood pressure became too high (195/90) and developed a lot of anxiety. The psychiatrist suggested to get off Adderall IR and switched me to Concerta 27mg once daily.  My anxiety came down a little and Concerta (generic) lasted longer during the day. My blood pressure continued to be high and my GP doctor put me on Metoprolol 25mg (generic) which lowers the blood pressure and also has some anti-anxiety benefits.

I stayed on Concerta generic 27mg for 4 weeks and started working full-time on a new retail job but the combination of the high expectations and pressure of the new job and the side effects of Concerta (dry mouth, buzzing in the ears, face redness, higher body temperature and higher blood pressure) made me quit my full-time job. I was able to concentrate and focus better during the day but after 6pm I felt very, very tired and down emotionally.  My family and I felt that maybe the job was too overwhelming for me and together with the Concerta side effects it was too stressful for me.  So I quit my job after 5 weeks.  That was a big blow for me emotionally and financially. I felt my depression was getting deeper and harder to get motivated, and focused to start/complete house projects. Procrastination increased. 

I went back to the doctor's office for change in the meds. She started me on Lamictal 25mg to treat my Bipolar II condition. She said that the stimulants were causing high blood pressure for me and also creating agitation, anxiety and tiredness when the stimulant effect wore off.  Lamictal generic dosage was increased slowly for the next 5 weeks to 100mg and felt less anxiety but my depression continued and had many crying spells and feelings of guilt almost every other day.  My Effexor ER was increased to 225mg at the same time. I was very unmotivated, very sad, feeling no pleasure in anything and my procrastination increased.  I had to force myself to get out of bed each morning and had very little energy and felt apathetic most of the day. I continued to take the Effexor ER in the mornings and Lamictal a couple of hours later.  My anxiety was sky high in the mornings upon waking up.  Anxiety was less by mid-afternoon and in the evenings.  Mentally my thinking was foggy, I was making a lot of mistakes and forgetting easy tasks.  My self confidence was very low and still is. I get overwhelmed very easy now and I feel paralyzed when I look to do easy projects that I was able to start and complete easily a few months ago.

Once again the psychiatrist thought that Lamictal was not lifting my depression after 5 weeks at 100mg and we switched to another ADHD med Strattera (generic) 40mg once daily for another trial and error session.  This med is to treat ADHD but it's NOT a stimulant, like Adderall and Concerta and it's not supposed to be addictive. It's an NRI and very similar to Effexor ER but Strattera only works on blocking release of norepinephrine.  Effexor ER blocks the release of serotonin and norepinephrine.  So far after 2 weeks on Effexor ER 225mg and Strattera 40mg my depression is getting worst, my anxiety is high and the overwhelming feelings are taking over my daily life.  I have tried to meditate, I'm reading books about how to overcome depression and anxiety by following better diet (which I'm doing now), I'm taking multi-vitamins, Magnesium and Fish oil supplements and I exercise for 30 min. every other day.  I have seen no positive results so far by making those lifestyle changes for the last two months and switching to different medications.  The only constant medication I have been taken all these months is the Effexor ER generic, that was increased by my doctor from 150mg once daily to 225mg.  Now I'm thinking that maybe the Effexor is NOT working for my anymore after many years of taking it and maybe I need something else to replace Effexor XR.  

I apologize for the very long post and I don't expect any response but in case someone has a comment or suggestion please feel free to post it here....Others might benefit from reading your comments and personal experiences. Again please remember this has been my personal experience using Effexor ER (Extended Release) in generic form and other ADHD medications and Bipolar meds.  Your experience taking the same medications might be different than mine.  All the medications I have taken are GENERIC (not Brand name) because my insurance only covers generic drugs.  

Much love and support to all.  

Is your pdoc aware of how difficult things are? Also, you said you were on Effexor for a while- what other antidepressants have you tried? Maybe if you tell your pdoc about your concerns with Effexor they can help you find other options for depression/anxiety

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Is your pdoc aware of how difficult things are? Also, you said you were on Effexor for a while- what other antidepressants have you tried? Maybe if you tell your pdoc about your concerns with Effexor they can help you find other options for depression/anxiety

Iceberg, thanks for your comment and suggestion.

You have a good point. My psychiatrist mentioned that Effexor ER is an older medication and it raises the Blood pressure for most people but I have been taking Effexor for over 10 years now for depression and anxiety and has worked for me with minimal side effects.  I'm aware of the horror stories of people trying to go off Effexor. I have stayed on 75mg - 150mg Effexor daily for years. So we decided not to change Effexor for now and add other medications to treat my ADD and Bipolar II.  However, I have read in other forums that taking an antidepressant only it can cause manic/hypomanic episodes for some people and it has happen to me.  Based on my past history since being on Effexor ER, I have had depressive and hypomanic episodes hence my recent diagnosis with Bipolar II.  That was a bit of a surprise to me while being diagnosed with Adult ADD is not.  As you know depression and anxiety are very common symptoms of both ADHD/ADD and Bipolar. 

Increasing the Effexor dosage from 150mg to 225mg might have contributed to my increased anxiety and depression I feel.  Maybe Effexor is no longer effective for me and the increase in dosage made my anxiety/depression worst. All I can say is that I feel deeper depression than ever previously and that is really effecting my daily life.  Anxiety is more controllable for me than depression. 

I have also taken Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft in the early 90's when those antidepressant meds were very popular.  Also Xanax and Ativan for anxiety only.  I will discuss with my doctor to possibly switch me slowly to another antidepressant to help with anxiety/depression, like you suggested.   

Thank you

Ever tried cymbalta? Similar to Effexor and also can help anxiety depression. Also for your bp 2 could you maybe need more mood stabilization beyond 100 lamictal? 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Ever tried cymbalta? Similar to Effexor and also can help anxiety depression. Also for your bp 2 could you maybe need more mood stabilization beyond 100 lamictal? 

Have never tried any other SNRI besides Effexor XR, which I have taken for about 15 years (mostly on it but I have taken breaks here and there).  My usual daily dosage has been 150mg.  Currently I'm up to 225mg in the AM daily.

I currently do not take Lamictal.  I stopped taking it after reaching the 100mg dosage because I was emotional while on it and did not do anything for my depression.  I understand it was prescribed for BP 2 and the therapeutic dose is around 200mg.  But my depression and anxiety were getting worse for some reason so my doctor and I decided to stop it.  I really could not deal with being so emotional while on it and maybe at 200mg it would have made a difference for the better.  There's always a chance to start taking Lamictal again down the road. 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:08 PM, goyal99 said:

Have never tried any other SNRI besides Effexor XR, which I have taken for about 15 years (mostly on it but I have taken breaks here and there).  My usual daily dosage has been 150mg.  Currently I'm up to 225mg in the AM daily.

I currently do not take Lamictal.  I stopped taking it after reaching the 100mg dosage because I was emotional while on it and did not do anything for my depression.  I understand it was prescribed for BP 2 and the therapeutic dose is around 200mg.  But my depression and anxiety were getting worse for some reason so my doctor and I decided to stop it.  I really could not deal with being so emotional while on it and maybe at 200mg it would have made a difference for the better.  There's always a chance to start taking Lamictal again down the road. 

I mentioned further up in the thread that I was originally taking Pristiq in about 2013, but my insurance changed because I lost my job. I had to switch to the generic Effexor XR, because of course Pristiq was still brand only at that point and still pretty new. I found I preferred Pristiq. Effexor XR did poop out on me after a few months, but I also wasn't taking a mood stabilizer at the time. So antidepressant poop-out isn't QUITE antidepressant poop-out. It just means you've ridden the wave and now it's crashing. That's how the bipolar brain works, although some are "lucky" enough for the hypomania's to persist for quite some time after starting an AD without a mood stabilizer. What I didn't like about Effexor XR was missing doses are not taking it at the same time each day and I would feel miserable.

We ultimately switched to Cymbalta (my gdoc and I). That was a huge difference. I don't recall what it felt like to miss a dose of Cymbalta because I would actually take it at night and I would wake up in the morning fresh and awake. It was nice actually.

I came back to Lamictal myself recently. I had taken it immediately after Cymbalta. Started seeing a new pdoc after my gdoc prescribed me the Cymbalta, and the new pdoc (current) started titrating me off Cymbalta and over to Lamictal. We used Prozac to make coming off Cymbalta easier. That was ROUGH.

However, I can say that even though I did take a brief respite from Lamictal it is quite effective at delaying episodes. Things seem to roll off the shoulder easier. Things that would normally get me worked up might make me angry or slightly depressed, or slightly excited but I'm able to level myself on my own. I can dig myself out of a whole where I couldn't before. I recently came off an antidepressant again (Trintellix) and titrated across to Lamictal. I find my Depakote+Lamictal+Rexulti+Vyvanse combo to be perfect for BP2/ADHD. Trintellix is my absolute favorite AD of all the ones I've taken, but I hadn't been depressed for a while and I was feeling mental tension from being on an AD in the summer combined with the Vyvanse. So we decided to take a break from it but put Lamictal in its place as a preventative antidepressant measure because that's what it's good for.