CrazyBoards.org

tek

Anyone take Adderall & Effexor?

I just went into the doc yesterday with a major panick attack. I had been on effexor for about a month and started adderall last friday. The nurse did a search on meds that should NOT be mixed, and adderall and effexor was one of them. I was fine on the adderall for the first 3 days, then the 4th day started feeling a bit anxious, and by yesterday (wed), I was freaking out. She looked at the symptoms of adderall and effexor mixed and it was exactly what I was going through. It was the worst feeling in the world. She said that it has a delayed response, so you will be fine for a few days, and then at about day 4 or 5 is when it hits. If you can get off of the effexor now do it. It is also the worst drug to try to get off of because of the withdrawl symptoms. Brain zaps, anger, frustration, anxiety, just a horrible feeling. I am seeing the doc today to decide what to do as the adderall was helping for a few days. I have been on anxiety/depression meds for years, and none of them seemed to work, so I was actually weaning off of the effexor. I am at 37.5 mg a day, and will be figuring out what to do today. Also effexor stays in your system for up to a week after your last pill, so I would recommend not taking anything and starting the adderall again in a week. Good luck.

How did this go for you? Looks like you were/are on the same dosage I am currently, at least for the Effexor. Did the symptoms with the Adderall go away when you went off the Effexor?

I have been on an EffexorXR + Adderall combo for about five years now. The mix is absolutely the only thing ever to budge my treatment-resistant double-depression. I had been taking a high dose of EffexorXR (450mg/day) and that took most of the edge off the depression, but didn't quite do the job. Then I switched to my current pdoc and he added 30mg of Adderall, and suddenly my head was above water. I was still treading, but at least my head was out. Since then, I've tried various permutations in dosage, but I've pretty much settled on EffexorXR 450, Adderall 10. Adderall 20mg actually works slightly better, but it causes me to clench my teeth unmercifully, to the point that I'm actually breaking teeth and losing fillings. So, down to 10. It seems that in addition to treating the serotonin/norepinephrine/dopamine problems, I also need some level of central nervous system stimulus to get my brain working somewhere near normally. The Adderall doesn't give me any feeling of being high, or euphoric, in any way, and never did except the very first week, when I remember being unusually chatty.

Cerberus

I also think that less adderall is better than more. Vyvanse (sp?) is another amphetamine prescribed for ADD but is supposed to have less negative side effects than adderall. One dose lasts all day and from what I have been told, it does not make you as anxious/nervous/jittery as adderall. Unfortunately there is not a generic for vyvanse so I believe it fairly expensive.

I take Vyvanse currently. Compared to Adderall, I feel like it has a much more controllable release to it. Adderall was like my brain was shot out of a cannon, and then quickly returned to the ground soon after. Nearly all the time you I was on it, I felt like I was about to peak, or was coming back down. Where as Vyvanse has a much longer plateau to get things done on. Vyvanse has (or at least had) a deal where they would cover half your copay for the first year you take it. So, it isnt too terribly expensive, but its still going to cost more.

Is it worth it? I think so.

Back to Effexor. If it is as much like Pristiq as their chemical formulas are, stay the heck away from that crap! Worst withdrawal of any drug I have taken. Worst mood swings I have ever had. Not good.

So I take Wellbutrin with my Vyvanse. For all those who are concerned about seizure risk, I encourage you to do more research into the matter. It is correct to say that Wellbutrin has a higher risk than any other AD, but the total risk is still pretty dang low. Like if most SSRIs are .001% then Wellbutrin is .002%. You are splitting hairs in my opinion.

I was curious about other people's reactions to these two medications, since for me, I don't think they worked well together. I have been on effexor xr 150mg for about 3 years now. It has its good qualities as well as bad. It got rid of my depression and panic attacks and reduced my anxiety, however as all of you know who have been on it, it has horrible withdrawal symptoms. If I miss a day of not taking it, I feel extremely sick and my whole body feels fuzzy and like its pulsing. I don't want to move, and I cannot stop crying. Its the worst feeling. So if you are on this med I highly recommend not quiting it cold turkey. It also makes me less emotionally attached..that numb feeling. And zero sex drive :/ As far as adderall I have taken it once every so often if I needed to pull an all nighter, and it made me more motivated and focused to get things done. I recently started taking 20mg 2-3 times a day (still being on effexor) and for the first two days it was bearable. I was clenching my jaw the whole time, and had really bad cotton mouth, but it was worth the side effects since I could get a lot done. But after a couple days of taking it I started getting a horrible headache that would not go away, even if I took pain relief meds. I started feeling nauseous, and even though I was hungry I could barely eat anything. I felt weird. I got easily agitated, would be distant, and zone out. I still had a little motivation but the side affects were making me not want to do anything since I felt so sick. I also think it made the effexor not as effective. I started to feel depressed and would have random crying spells. I want to be able to take adderall but the way it makes me feel now is just not worth it. 

Is there anything else out there that helps you stay focused but doesn't have the bad side effects? 

On June 4, 2007 at 9:02 PM, Sunshine said:

I was on Adderall and Cymbalta, which is as close to Effexor as anything else. I never found that I could get by with less Adderall, but since depression can exacerbate ADD symptoms, alleviating the depression may cause you to need less Adderall.

I'm currently on Adderall 30mg ER and Cymbalta 60mgs., I was on Effexor 150 mugs. Prior but Dr. switched to Cymbalta. I've noticed the last month and half I just can't get enough Chocolate, Pastries, candy ect. basically Constantly a Sweet tooth. I now am Gaining weight in which is driving me crazy. Has anyone else experiencing these cravings also ? I'm thinking I need to switch back to Effexor immediately. I was wondering if anyone takes this Combo and what time do you take the Effexor ? Can it be taken at the same time I take my Adderall or should I take it in the afternoon or evening?

Thank you all in Advance for your input & help. Today is my 1st day on this site.

PS. I Also want to Wish All the Mothers out there a Very Happy Mothers Day in Advance.

I've been on 300mg of effexor xr since about 2002. Briefly tried switching to Pristiq awhile back but didn't notice any improvement in current symptoms so went back to effexor since it's generic. I take 5-10mg of adderall once a day, in the morning at the same time as my effexor. I crave sweets and carbs but mainly at night usually close to bedtime when I take mirtazapine which is known for causing munchies. However, I think I used to be better at controlling the cravings as my weight was always normal until the past few years when I gained over a hundred pounds.

3 hours ago, aquarian said:

I've been on 300mg of effexor xr since about 2002. Briefly tried switching to Pristiq awhile back but didn't notice any improvement in current symptoms so went back to effexor since it's generic. I take 5-10mg of adderall once a day, in the morning at the same time as my effexor. I crave sweets and carbs but mainly at night usually close to bedtime when I take mirtazapine which is known for causing munchies. However, I think I used to be better at controlling the cravings as my weight was always normal until the past few years when I gained over a hundred pounds.

Hi Aquarian, Have you ever been on Cymbalta ? I really feel this is the reason for all my gaining of weight, when I was on Effexor 150mgs. I Never had a Sweet tooth, now being on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months that's all I do is Crave sweets, Chocolate, Pastries. Also I was wondering if anyone it's OK to take Effexor & Adderall at the same time or should I just take the Effexor in the evening?

4 hours ago, Katherine Neff said:

Hi Aquarian, Have you ever been on Cymbalta ? I really feel this is the reason for all my gaining of weight, when I was on Effexor 150mgs. I Never had a Sweet tooth, now being on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months that's all I do is Crave sweets, Chocolate, Pastries. Also I was wondering if anyone it's OK to take Effexor & Adderall at the same time or should I just take the Effexor in the evening?

No, I've never taken Cymbalta.

Im on 30mg of adderall twice a day and my doctor started me on 37.5 of venaflaxin and told me to take at night for about 3 hours I was dancing and singing around the house I woke up with my mouth like sand paper and my body feels heavy and a little weird feeling but will see how the day goes

No but Effexor is definitely stimulating and I had much better focus and concentration when I was on the higher dosages.

It's a solid medication.  If it wasn't for the sexual side effect, I would still be up at 300mg....

I currently take Vyvanse and prefer it to Adderall for many of the reasons previously prescribed in this thread. I don't have poop-out in the mid to late afternoon. It lasts me all the way through until it's time to go to bed and the Depakote and loxapine make sure it doesn't give me insomnia. Vyvanse also doesn't make me feel like someone lit a fire under my ass like Adderall does.....unless I drink too much coffee...then I'm just asking for it. Definitely less jitters and overall smoother release than the generic Adderall XR

As for the Effexor vs Pristiq argument, I actually preferred Pristiq when I was taking it and the only reason I switched from Pristiq to Effexor XR was loss of insurance and the new insurance wouldn't cover it. One difference that I noticed is that Pristiq was much more forgiving if you missed a dose. I would feel withdrawal from Effexor if I missed it by so much as 2-4 hours. Don't get me wrong, Pristiq has a short half-life as well and I would feel some withdrawal but Effexor was definitely worse in my opinion.