Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What dose of clonazepam equals xanax?

65 posts in this topic

Posted

How many xanax .25mg equals 1mg xanax and how many .5 equals 1mg

Oh! You meant the question as written! An Arithmetic query, not typos involving checking one's own prostate.

The answer to each question is a single digit, which I'll combine to look like a single number because I think it's high time you and I revealed the question with which Douglas Adams so cruelly toyed with us.

.25 expressed as a fraction is 1/4 and .5 is 1/2 if that helps.

Posted

Hey guys,

youve really got to watch those equivalency charts.

Xanax is DEFINITELY stronger than klonopin. Trust me.

No other benzo substitutes for xanax. Valium is used to help taper off xanax.

My point is if you are used to xanax you will not get a similar effect from another benzo.

Thats because it's atypical benzo where is Klonopin is just a benzo!

Posted (edited)

My doctor prescribed me .25 mg of Xanax to be taken twice daily, as needed. I never took them regularly before. Then two days ago I missed my morning pill and by lunchtime I was shaking, feeling anxious, talking fast and had this awful sensation of vulnerability. The only panic attack I have EVER had that wasn’t brought on my external stimuli, and it scared me. My body was addicted to the medicine, just after two weeks. So I called my doc and said I needed something that I could take all the time to relax my system and let me feel normal, and I felt xanax was too intense for me. That I’m not a “panic” person…and I never want to experience what I experienced earlier ever again. We discussed it in great detail and suggested Klonopin.

Then I go to pick up my prescription and the mg on the bottle were .5mg to be taken twice daily. I was confused. If efficacy can vary greatly from person to person...I am taking a big risk here. In what way is it equivalent or not to Xanax? Why was the prescription twice the dose? So, I had to dig. Here is what I’ve found. They are both benzodiazepines with anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) and anti-convulsant properties. They be very addicting. Lets assume for a moment that their efficacy is similar. I did some research and wanted to share my findings:

Xanax elimination cycle is roughly 20 hrs and Klonopin is roughly 40 hrs. I assume that from multiple sources that tell about their half life. I'll just lay out the basic math.

.25 mg of Xanax at an elimination point of 20 hours at first dose say 8am and the second dose around 10pm (14 hrs later) would be .425 mg in the system. After 14 compounded days of the same timed doses would level it at approx .41mg in the system all the time. Using the same math for .5mg of Klonopin at a 40 hr elimination point would mean 14 days later the approx level amount in your system would be 1.6mg!!! Lower efficacy or not...that just seems excessive. AND WE WONDER HOW WE GET ADDICTED AND DEPENDENT ON THIS SHIT. My doctor basically just threw this prescription at me and said they were equivalent. Clearly that is not true. My findings are that Klonopin is approx 52% stronger/more effective, etc because of that, what my doctor should have prescribed was .25mg of Klonopin once daily. I'm so pissed off at the callousness of the system. If you've ever been to a clinic you will find most of the people there are in because of benzos...and now you know most of the reasons why... Now I'm off to buy a pill cutter. And see how it goes.

Edited by Fayth143

Posted (edited)

Fayth,

Please consult your doctor and/or pharmacist. There may be a rationale for the dosing that you weren't able to come up with on your own.

ETA- Most pharmacists I've met are MORE than happy to geek out on the pharmacology with you.

Edited by Wooster

Posted

Maybe I should ask my pdoc about xanax. I currently tae 1 mg of klonopin as needed, but lately I've been so anxious the pdoc over the phone said I can double the dose so now I take 2, but it is not working anymore. I am still vomiting and shaking from anxiety. Do you think xanax would be a better fit if the klonopin has stopped working well for me? Or should I try some other type of drug to supplement the klonopin like a different SSRI (I am on citalopram which is obviously not working like it should be)? Thoughts? Of course its up to this new pdoc I am seeing, but I wanted to get some opinions from here too...

Posted

I haven't read all of the posts, but when comparing klonopin and xanax, they are both benzos but otherwise to me equivalencies are like comparing apples to oranges.

Posted

And Fayth, rebound anxiety when you miss a dose of your anti-anxiety medication does not indicate addiction. It actually might indicate the med was doing its job, until you missed a dose, thereby disrupting your blood level

Plus, physical dependency is not the same as addiction.

If my husband misses a dose of his seizure meds, he has a seizure: Not because he is addicted to lamictal and lyrica, but because his levels dropped too quickly. The same goes for Xanax, klonopin, and the majority of psychiatric medications, like ACs, and some antidepressants. among many others. They take time to work completely, and they take time to come off of completely.

I'm dizzy with sleep, hope that was coherent, good night.

Posted

klonopin has a longer life in your system so is better for regukar anxiety and it will keep you calm all day and night,xanax is better for panic attacks and you feel results faster but is shorter life in your system,i prefer

klonopin,is cheaper and it last longer,no matter what you do dont drink booze with any of these please,people die like that .

hugs

Luna

Posted

klonopin has a longer life in your system so is better for regukar anxiety and it will keep you calm all day and night,xanax is better for panic attacks and you feel results faster but is shorter life in your system,i prefer

klonopin,is cheaper and it last longer,no matter what you do dont drink booze with any of these please,people die like that .

hugs

Luna

Posted

I agree clonazepam does las longer than xanax so in a sense it is stronger in terms of bein more chill longer but xanax is stronger when it comes to immidiate effects so if ur jus trien ta be more calm all day then clonazepam is stronger but if u want sumthing to hit u rite away then xanax I take 60 clonazepam a month 2 1mg a day an it woks a lot better for me than xanax.

Posted

You can read all the comparison charts available but every body is different. For me, 30mg (yes, thirty) of clonazepam equals 4-4.5mg of alprazolam. It sounds unfathomable but it is indeed true, for me.

Posted

You can read all the comparison charts available but every body is different. For me, 30mg (yes, thirty) of clonazepam equals 4-4.5mg of alprazolam. It sounds unfathomable but it is indeed true, for me.

Out of curiosity ... did you actually take the 30 (thirty) clonazepam? Or use a chart to figure that out?

Posted (edited)

For me, klonopin is my choice of benzo. Xanax made me feel high. Like REALLY high on just 0.25 mg. It also gave me awful nightmares. Ativan doesn't quite pack the punch I need to stop the worst of my panic attacks, but it does work fast. Valium makes me literally not give a fuck about anything and hoses my memory. Klonopin simply makes me feel normal albeit a little sleepy and usually one is all I need to get through the day. I will take another 0.5 at night if my RLS is acting up particularly bad though.

Edited by laursmd

Posted

I suffer from severe panic disorder. I also developed the fear of having panic attacks, and became fearful of things of my everyday life, this all originated from almost dying from complication during my pregnancy and birth. I have been suffering the condition for almost 8 years. not fun!!! After many doctors and many medicines, and digging to for clues to find out what was wrong with me, obviously this was before I even knew what a panic attack or anxiety was. Anyways, I have tried many anti-depressants ,some that actually increased my panic. I was introduced to a small dose of Xanax. In combination of that with Prozac, I was some what content but not out of the range. I was still dealing with daily attacks. They got so bad they controlled my life. I then could no longer drive. Was scared to leave certain comfort zones. Was very difficult for me to do many things. Including but not limited to what I listed. Anything that caused my heart rate to increase ie: caffeine, exercise, etc. would even trigger attacks. So now, after not driving for almost 3 years, and almost ruining my marriage. Friends and family separating from me cause they couldn't deal with me. I can finally say that I'm about 65 percent better. Although I know the attacks go into remission and I still get those feelings. I can finally drive. Do things I was went able to do for years. I know everyone is different. Medications work differently on all. But my solution after trying numerous different meds. This is we're clonazepam comes into the picture. As Xanax. This Xanax is a must have around for security and for an instant relieve for an attack. But the klonopin aka clonazepam 1mg, taken 3 times daily morning, afternoon and evening is what keeps me pretty balanced and anxiety at bay. Also taking a small does of celexa as a balancer. I get 2mg Xanax but break them in half for 1 mg as needed. I only try and take those if I'm severely anxious or feeling an attack. My personally opinion on the Xanax and klonopin comparison is: Xanax for an instant relief like stated in the event of an attack. And. Klonopin to be used as balancer as it last longer, but yet doesn't have that instant relief. Yes, you get a extra kick outa the Xanax, euphoria if you will, as you don't really get that from klonopin, but if you are just trying to treat anxiety, you don't need that kick, it is just a side effect anyways. Although that's were people fall in to abuse the medication.

Posted

WHat the hell is all this.... We got a troll or spamer!