Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vyvanse

59 posts in this topic

Posted

New discoveries about Vyvanse:

It takes a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours to work for me. Which is alright, I wake up early and relax for a bit. I also noticed it probably will kick in quicker with a nice breakfast... with some fat and carbs to break down in your gut. It doesn't last 12 hours for me... and I knew it wouldn't. Shire over exaggerated on the time with adderall XR too. The drug really doesn't have a short peak... it kind of lasts awhile at it's strongest. I like that a lot. It also gradually tapers off slower than adderall... which is also wonderful. Overall the full effect isn't 12 hours... more like 9 to 10 for me at 70mg. But I might have to post an update after my next appointment to see how it works then. Also... don't get angry if it doesn't work right away... it takes a bit to kick in. (I used to worry about this, until I figured it out)

So I prefer this 100%. Adderall XR still had some peaks that made my bi polar cycling go a little crazy.

This is all for me... but just keep it in mind if you don't feel it working in the first hour. Give it a little time.

Posted

Well I cam back from my doctor no change on meds im feeling little better ive got the motivation and everything just lacking the energy now, not so much depressed but still little anxiety. Sh said just keep it at current dose and see what happens.

ron

Posted

Well I cam back from my doctor no change on meds im feeling little better ive got the motivation and everything just lacking the energy now, not so much depressed but still little anxiety. Sh said just keep it at current dose and see what happens.

ron

I am sorry this is soooooooo long......

Wow. I can totally id w/ all the symptoms you said you look back and see you had growing up. I am also 26 and just recently saw a Dr. for symptoms although I have suspected adhd or add for years. I have finished a few books but only a few that I can really get into... Required reading for school doesn

Posted

I think if we goto higher dose cause im having same problem as u at max dose. we will bottom out earlier then we should. When i was drinking coffee or other warm liquids as i took the pill it would make it run through ur system faster and it would be awsome for 6 or so hours but after that i would go in zombie mode almost drueling i think somewhere it says this. you body only produces so much of that chemical before it runs out and when u do well i hope u like walking dead .You could always try increasing ur does but if u find urself going into zombie mode its probably too much. I'm acctually thinking about trying to up my dose by 10mg by water to see if it helps me. i would say from start to now i had so many up and downs till i figured it out and got used to the meds now that i am its like im not even on them so maybe that 10mg might be a help or not if it does ill talk to doctor about getting it increased. By far im getting a better response by these meds then before when all my doctor had me on is antidepressents or anxiety meds so even if 10mg more doesn't help im way better off now then before and im sure u will agree.

Posted

Alright went up to 120mg a day last week. Getting there... I think 140 will do me well. Things are feeling and seeming well

Posted

doctor put u up that high? or did u just do it all on ur own? its been a while since my last post and now im right back to if i never took it so i need to do something. i see doctor in a few days, i think friday i will have to check calender.

Posted

Hi, I have been taking vyvance for 11 days. I think it's good, I have no appetite whatsoever. Eating (or shopping for food or cooking for my family) has no priority in my life anymore. But I did walk 3 miles today...Why don't drug companies market these things as diet drugs? I still don't think I am actually "focusing" better...in fact I have been more forgetful. This is the 1st add med I have ever tried. Doc suggests I may be manic, which I may be. But I've never been depressed a day in my life...just hyper and pissy. Is it possibe to be uni-polar as opposed to bi-polar? Oh well...I also ramble.

Kim

omg! for a few years there was speculation that i am bi-polar only due to my mania - however, i think i am just hyper and fervent with my body language. i am easily distracted, start 5 things at a time, forget things, hyper, etc... = ADHD. I have been diagnosed since 7th grade, but never tried medication. Today I started Vyvanse and it took 2 hours to notice anything, but things became clear and still and i was able to focus and complete tasks that would otherwise be disregarded until later if at all. what sucks is i've been put on mood stabilizers before this new doc actually knows what hes doing and finally found something that has worked (at least so far). the mood stabilizers simply slowed me down and made me forget more than i already do. funk dat. anyways, i just wanted to say im with you and i feel exactly the same with the bi-polar manic mis-diagnosis whatever thing.

-motor

Posted

Hi, I have been taking vyvance for 11 days. I think it's good, I have no appetite whatsoever. Eating (or shopping for food or cooking for my family) has no priority in my life anymore. But I did walk 3 miles today...Why don't drug companies market these things as diet drugs? I still don't think I am actually "focusing" better...in fact I have been more forgetful. This is the 1st add med I have ever tried. Doc suggests I may be manic, which I may be. But I've never been depressed a day in my life...just hyper and pissy. Is it possibe to be uni-polar as opposed to bi-polar? Oh well...I also ramble.

Kim

omg! for a few years there was speculation that i am bi-polar only due to my mania - however, i think i am just hyper and fervent with my body language. i am easily distracted, start 5 things at a time, forget things, hyper, etc... = ADHD. I have been diagnosed since 7th grade, but never tried medication. Today I started Vyvanse and it took 2 hours to notice anything, but things became clear and still and i was able to focus and complete tasks that would otherwise be disregarded until later if at all. what sucks is i've been put on mood stabilizers before this new doc actually knows what hes doing and finally found something that has worked (at least so far). the mood stabilizers simply slowed me down and made me forget more than i already do. funk dat. anyways, i just wanted to say im with you and i feel exactly the same with the bi-polar manic mis-diagnosis whatever thing.

-motor

Posted

Has anyone had any issues with eyesight after starting Vyvanse? Even really mild? I feel like my eyesight is weaker. But it could be nothing.

Hmm...

Posted

Has anyone had any issues with eyesight after starting Vyvanse? Even really mild? I feel like my eyesight is weaker. But it could be nothing.

Hmm...

AT first i did foggy effect it went away once my body adjusted. other then that if anything else ask doctor during my situation I found out ill get glaucoma sometime in my life which is a good thing i guess but bad u know.

ron

Posted

Yeah... my vision is definately getting sort of messed up. It's happened before when I was taking something for IBS.

My vision isn't as good as usual, but mostly it's that I can't quite focus on things very well a lot of the time. The ability to focus, basically, is called acommodation. Apperantly some people who use Vyvanse have this issue.

Whoopie. I can just get reading glasses, but it's sort of a pain. I noticed it when I was trying to read a street sign that was sort of far away but which I should have been able to read. It's annoying and makes me a little uncomfortable when I drive if it makes me not be able to see the signs early enough.

Other than THAT... heh...

Vyvanse is ok.

Posted

im adding to what i posted above im not motivated anymore, still have a little anxiety and depression issues mostly feel like i should explode in some form of emotion and can't .im contacting my employers eap and getting a good mind doctor. Ive been dignosed with add inattentive then given meds for it and still feel all kinds of messed up maybe just a bad day.i deffently miss the being happy and talking all the time like i used to. maybe i need more then 70mg on vyvanse we will see.

Regardless of the stupid chemistry rambling you're hearing from null and I, you need to weigh a clinical decision here. Ask yourself if the med is really working for you, and if the side effects are bothersome. If so, you'll probably want to discuss with your doctor about changing medications or other assorted advice on Vyvanse.

Anyways, good luck, and keep us posted!

I am an adult female and have been taking Vyvanse 50 mg for about 4 days. I switched from Concerta two times a day. I am not AS JUMPY/anxiety wise but I am also not motivated in the slightest. I am also hungy constantly. I am trying to snack sensibly but I want to eat all day!!!! I could fall asleep at my desk right now. I hope this gets better!!!!

;)

Posted

I don't like Vyvanse. I was only on it about two weeks, but I stopped due to two major side effects. The most problematic one was feeling trippy (zoning in and out).

Posted

New discoveries about Vyvanse:

It takes a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours to work for me. Which is alright, I wake up early and relax for a bit. I also noticed it probably will kick in quicker with a nice breakfast... with some fat and carbs to break down in your gut. It doesn't last 12 hours for me... and I knew it wouldn't. Shire over exaggerated on the time with adderall XR too. The drug really doesn't have a short peak... it kind of lasts awhile at it's strongest. I like that a lot. It also gradually tapers off slower than adderall... which is also wonderful. Overall the full effect isn't 12 hours... more like 9 to 10 for me at 70mg. But I might have to post an update after my next appointment to see how it works then. Also... don't get angry if it doesn't work right away... it takes a bit to kick in. (I used to worry about this, until I figured it out)

So I prefer this 100%. Adderall XR still had some peaks that made my bi polar cycling go a little crazy.

This is all for me... but just keep it in mind if you don't feel it working in the first hour. Give it a little time.

I was having trouble focusing and thought I might have A.D.D. so a friend of mine who was prescribed Adderall XR let me take a 30 mg pill to see if I was right (if I was right I'd be calm, mellowed out and thinking with clarity .... if I was wrong I'd be wired as hell). Turns out I was right so I set up an appointment with my doctor and told him my symptoms. He prescribed me Vyvanse and I like how it works. Vyvanse gives me a somewhat drowsy zombie-like drugged up feeling for the first 1 1/2 to 2 hours when it starts to "kick in" then I'm very alert for the rest of the day . It is a lot smoother and has a way more "even flow" than Adderall XR. Vyvanse seemed to last on me for 10 to 11 hours. I admit that my ability to focus during Aderall XR's peak seemed to be much more intense though and it only gave me the drowsy feeling for about a half hour when it kicked in. The change I feel from Vyvanse is much more gradual and it lasts longer so I'm gonna stick with it.

Posted

Any issues to be careful about if I want to go on a fast while using Vyvance?

I have just been diagnosed with ADD at age 53. On my 6th day taking Vyvance. I want to spend some time in prayer and fasting over some serious personal matters over the next 3 to 7 days. I am thinking that I will have no solid food but do plan to drink juice.

Doc recommend taking Vyvanse with food. Will this be an issue?

Any other issues that I should be aware of? Any other thoughts?

This is my first post. Just found you all today. What I have read so far is helpful.

Thank you.

Browther Lawrence

Posted

I switched to Vyvanse last week after taking Adderall XR 30 MG for four years. Adderall wasn't doing it for me and I didn't want to increase the dosage. Vynanse is a less abrupt jump to my system and I don't think I'm as edgy as before. My doctor started out with 30 mg and told me to see how this works. 30 mg isn't cutting it so I am increasing to 60 mg. So far, so good. I haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever, other than its a 50 co-pay instead of 30.

Posted

I have been taking Vyvanse for three weeks now. The one thing I have noticed is, I have developed this weird habit of taking single strands of my hair and feeling the texture. Sometimes, I then pull it out. Even my 15 year-old asked me, "Why do you keep messing with your hair?" My husband also asked me "Are you pulling your hair out, literally?"

I started taking Vyvanse 30mg in August 2008 (about 5 months) and I started this habit almost immediately after. I would feel the hair strand and its texture/thickness, as if checking for irregularities, then I would pull single strands out. HOWEVER, most of the time I was not aware I was doing it, like an Impulsive behavior. ...there is a name for this, its called Trichotillomania. This behavior can be characterized by nail biting, skin picking, and hair pulling.

Examples: skin pulling- picking lips, hair pulling- obvious, but in lesser may also pick/pull eye brows and eye lashes ...or apparently other hairs

So, I've been doing this for months, mostly w/o notice though. The other night my boyfriend noticed I was feeling/picking/pulling my hair again and checked to see if I had a rash, irritated skin, or something. No- but there was a whole section missing. :) ...yeah, not kidding. We both reacted; He became angry and shocked and I got upset/shocked. He looked at me like a crazy person at first. It was embarrassing, I cried and tried to defend myself "I only pick out the weird ones." He quickly calmed down, but not before saying "OMG, you picked out all your hair! There is a bald spot! You picked out your beautiful hair (gives me a 'you are crazy look'). You NEED to talk to someone" Later he assumed to blame himself; what did he do to make me feel like I should pull my hair out? Then he decided it was from nervousness and anxiety, he hugged me deeply and apologized. He said it almost put in pure perspective to what extent I had learned to put things away and ignore them and other things, the basics for ADHDers really (one of the major reasons for impulsives). Nice to know at least something might put things in perspective, I'm just upset it was hair pulling ;)

Its is more of a nervous/OCD habit, I do lean more on the OCD side of ADHD. Like the organized version, but tends to be more "my way" <-- not with everything (as everyone here knows this is limited to certain things, but is typically drastic with them and resulting in anger issues). I've always picked my lips, eye lashes, eye brows, and even rolled the corners of my paper -which later turned to the wonders of twirling rubber bands :) . BUT, when i was off all ADHD meds for 8 yrs the extent of this habit was almost nonexistent. So, I wonder now if Vyvanse is not good for this type of ADHD?

I definitely need to switch since it must be the trigger, but have no clue what to switch to... MED PEEPS- Do you have any take on this? Does anyone have same experience or advice? I'd like to figure out if this is common, so I can pinpoint it being the Vyvanse or not.

Posted

I have been taking Vyvanse for three weeks now. The one thing I have noticed is, I have developed this weird habit of taking single strands of my hair and feeling the texture. Sometimes, I then pull it out. Even my 15 year-old asked me, "Why do you keep messing with your hair?" My husband also asked me "Are you pulling your hair out, literally?"

I started taking Vyvanse 30mg in August 2008 (about 5 months) and I started this habit almost immediately after. I would feel the hair strand and its texture/thickness, as if checking for irregularities, then I would pull single strands out. HOWEVER, most of the time I was not aware I was doing it, like an Impulsive behavior. ...there is a name for this, its called Trichotillomania. This behavior can be characterized by nail biting, skin picking, and hair pulling.

we've got some threads related to this in the ocd forum in case you haven't looked there

Posted

I've probably been taking vyvanse for about three months. I don't know where they went. I feel like since I've started taking it days just fly by, and I'm never done...there's always something else to do. Projects. There are a lot of projects.

the medicine definitely has an effect on nerves. i got ticks in my big toe for the first few days. also may cause a slight case of dyslexia. i know what order letters & numbers go in, but i still write/type them wrong.

i do think the drug causes mental problems also. i'm not quite sure what exactly, but there's something off. i'm thinking about getting off.

btw- i take between 50-75 mg a day.

Posted

Any issues to be careful about if I want to go on a fast while using Vyvance?

I have just been diagnosed with ADD at age 53. On my 6th day taking Vyvance. I want to spend some time in prayer and fasting over some serious personal matters over the next 3 to 7 days. I am thinking that I will have no solid food but do plan to drink juice.

Doc recommend taking Vyvanse with food. Will this be an issue?

Any other issues that I should be aware of? Any other thoughts?

This is my first post. Just found you all today. What I have read so far is helpful.

Thank you.

Browther Lawrence

Hi Browther Lawrence,

I know this is about six months too late to help you but I thought others might have the same question. I usually take my Vyvanse on an empty stomach and I often forget to eat. I notice that I will feel a bit "foggy" on those days but I'm sure it's due to the lack of energy for my brain rather than the Vyvanse. However, I would recommend breaking open the capsule and taking only half your regular dose on the first day just to be on the safe side. The last thing you want is to be jittery while you are trying to meditate.

Also, if you do happen to read this, could you let us know what you did and how it turned out? I would be interested in your experience. Thanks!

Posted

I've only been on this for 3 days. Adderall IR had stopped working for me and most XR's metabolize to fast to get a chance to work for me. I was started on 70mgs right off the bat. Haven't had any side effects and seems to be working well so no complaints so far... Guys we will see how long it lasts. Adderall only lasted about 3 weeks...

I'd love to hear about it if anyone in this boat (tolerance to Adderall IR and XR) has used Vyvanse, and not developed tolerance to it.

(Dear God, I hope it works for me... :/ )

Posted

This seems to be the most current topic on Vyvanse (in general). I'm surprised since it's still pretty new. Thought I'd add my two cents.

Just switched to it after being on Adderall for 12 years (20 mg XR). Never been on anything else for ADD. Adderall seemed to be slightly losing its effectiveness, so pdoc has me trying this. I procrastinated for a while because when he first prescribed it, they didn't have all the different doses and he wanted me to start at 30 mg so I had to go through this complicated routine of dissolving the contents of a 70 mg capsule in 7 tablespoons of liquid and then taking 3 TB (he says you can pre-mix it and store it for at least a week).

I've only been on it for a few days and the only major difference I've noticed is an even lower appetite than usual. In my case this is not desirable as I'm chronically (and sometimes dangerously) underweight. Hopefully that will improve.

My pdoc said it doesn't kick in as fast/abruptly as Adderall, but I never noticed that with the Adderall. Overall it seems to be working at least as good as Adderall, possibly slightly better. No issues with sleep (insomnia is reasonably under control with medication).

Am interested in hearing newer stories - especially from people who have been on it for a while.

Thanks!

Posted

Kim

If you have every seen Requiem for a dream. If sold as a diet drug many would abuse and not eat entirely

Posted

Yes, I've been on Vyvanse 60mg for about 5months now unfortunately I have ADD & OCD and the Vyvanse intensifies the OCD I can sit in one spot picking at my face for hours or spend 1 hour typing and retyping an email at work. I have become focused for work and other responsibilities but I'm also focused on things that are associated with my OCD. Also my hair is coming out, Ive always had long shiny hair and it's now the exact opposite..

Posted

thanks to Ron, that tip about warm liquids i will certainly remember. i was diagnosed with ADD last week and i start vyvanse at 30 mg tomorrow. from there i'll move up to 50 and then 70, mostly because i'm only 16 and my pediatrician wants to limit side effects. im kind of nervous to see how my attention and focus and memory will be affected, starting a medicine is kind of scary. hopefully though i won't have some of the aforementioned effects of introversion. thanks guys