Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adderall & Prozac?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been lurking for a few days and looked for a thread containing this info but I haven't found one.

I take generic adderall 10mg a.m. and occasionally in the afternoon for AD/HD inattentive type.

I recently added fluoxetine 10mg (still playing with time of day) then upped it to 20mg.

My question is this...has anyone else noticed the fluoxetine decreasing the effect of the Adderall?

I noticed it immediately.

I have a dr's appt in about 45 minutes & I'm not sure what to ask for? An increase in my Adderall?

I'm a mess without it's effects:(

I appreciate greatly any responses (in advance because I'll forget later)

Posted

Well...thanks ANYWAY.

I'm so glad I got the courage up to post.

Posted

sorry.

I've taken some combination of stimulant and SSRI for over ten years and never really noticed that. SSRIs do reduce some of the more anxious side effects sometimes. Could that be part of what you're noticing? Normally it takes going on two months to notice anything from Prozac.

Posted

People can't be expected to answer you immediately. You should have posted earlier than you did to get some responses before your appointment. At this point, it doesn't seem like it matters because the appointment has passed so I am not surprised that you have no responses.

Good you got up the courage to post but your second one isn't likely to attract many happy returns.

I don't know. I don't know if there is an interaction between the two but I didn't find one like that. The thing that comes to mind is that perhaps you are experiencing side effects from the fluoxetine including tiredness, which can make it seem like a stimulant medication isn't working as well. This makes sense to me, but I don't know if that is what you are experiencing?

The interaction checker that I use actually suggests that you may be more sensitive to the Adderall, not less, so in your case it is really hard to say what might be going on.

Since you just started taking the new med, I would give it a chance for the side effects to pass. If you haven't been on it for very long, give it some time.

Posted

ADD-type symptoms (inability to concentrate, etc.) are also typical symptoms of depression. At least that's what my pdoc has always told me when I've complained of lingering ADD-type symptoms after getting a bout of depression under control. In my experience, it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between the two... especially when you are suffering from/being treated for both.

Posted

Actually, YES...I had the exact same effect when on Adderall and fluoxetine (no other meds at the time). When on Lexapro & Adderall, 15mg instant release twice a day and 10mg in the afternoon was the best dosage for me. Once I switched to fluoxetine, 15mg of Adderall just wasn't doing what it used to. So, I tried upping the dose to 20mg and that worked fine (where previously it made me too jittery, and that's how I figured 15mg was just right). I questioned my pdoc about it, and she said that fluoxetine was known for interfering with the pharmokinetics of some drugs. I'm not a professional, but I assume it has something to do with the fact that fluoxetine inhibits the same enzyme that metabolizes Adderall. Even still, mileage will vary.

Posted

Heh.

For me, any stimulating effect from Adderall was negated by taking Lexapro. Of course, even with a couple of

double espresso shots in me I had trouble staying awake until lunchtime ... that can't have helped.